Joe Biden 2020 campaign megathread v2
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 25, 2024, 06:26:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Joe Biden 2020 campaign megathread v2
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 78
Author Topic: Joe Biden 2020 campaign megathread v2  (Read 107537 times)
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1075 on: September 13, 2019, 02:23:13 PM »

All I know is Biden said that what is needed to heal the legacy of slavery is to send social workers into the homes of black parents because we don’t know how to raise our kids. And yes I know he will still be in the lead because most voters are myopic and don’t pay attention but it doesn’t make it any less harmful or disqualifying.

You should really get your hearing aide fixed. 
You sound like a Trump supporter. I heard exactly what he said. You’re not going to gaslight me into believing I’m crazy. Like I wanted to hear the leading Dem candidate say that on stage....
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #1076 on: September 13, 2019, 03:26:26 PM »

Trump is calling Joe Biden sleepy due to the fact, he called Jeb low energy. He is trying to conflate the two. But, Rassy polls, Harris X are definitely trying ti keep Warren poll numbers down. I am so glad Bernie flubbed the debate, now Warren; whom has the Harris coalition, can take on Biden and win IA, NH and NV.

Hopefully, Harris drops out before SC and endorses Warren
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1077 on: September 13, 2019, 03:53:03 PM »

All I know is Biden said that what is needed to heal the legacy of slavery is to send social workers into the homes of black parents because we don’t know how to raise our kids. And yes I know he will still be in the lead because most voters are myopic and don’t pay attention but it doesn’t make it any less harmful or disqualifying.

You sound like a Trump supporter. I heard exactly what he said. You’re not going to gaslight me into believing I’m crazy. Like I wanted to hear the leading Dem candidate say that on stage....

I mean, you’re the one who is shamelessly race-baiting, so if anyone is acting like a Trump surrogate, it’s you Tongue

But I’ll let you speak for yourself...

Joe Biden was not a victim in his exchange with Julian Castro. White fragility is toxic.

Can you stop Race baiting
Why? It propelled people like Ronald Reagan and Donald Trump to the presidency.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1078 on: September 13, 2019, 04:07:19 PM »

I mean, you’re the one who is shamelessly race-baiting, so if anyone is acting like a Trump surrogate, it’s you Tongue

Joe Biden was not a victim in his exchange with Julian Castro. White fragility is toxic.

I was being sarcastic but K.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1079 on: September 13, 2019, 05:10:42 PM »

Beyond the undeniably funny record player reference, this tweet thread points out that there's a lot to unpack with Biden's entire response, particularly his invocation of the "word gap":

LOL.
What a stupid comment.
It has nothing to do with a specific race (African-Americans). Here in California, there are constant TV commercials that tell parents (all parents, of all "colors") to talk, sing and read to infants.
The more a young infant/toddler hears words, the better it is for brain development.
Biden was making a general comment, to everyone with a young infant.
NeverAgainsSock
Rookie
« Reply #1080 on: September 13, 2019, 05:24:52 PM »

Beyond the undeniably funny record player reference, this tweet thread points out that there's a lot to unpack with Biden's entire response, particularly his invocation of the "word gap":

LOL.
What a stupid comment.
It has nothing to do with a specific race (African-Americans). Here in California, there are constant TV commercials that tell parents (all parents, of all "colors") to talk, sing and read to infants.
The more a young infant/toddler hears words, the better it is for brain development.
Biden was making a general comment, to everyone with a young infant.

Exactly, if you read the transcript it is very clear that Biden dodge-shifted from talking about institutional racism within the black community to talking about education policy to talking about the lack of access to resources for many persons with low-socieo-economic status.

The Atlantic had a great piece HERE discussing the "word-gap" and the policies that the then-Obama administration (statement here) were implementing to encourage child literacy through reducing the word gap.

Quoting from the article:
According to a 2012 report by the Brookings Institution, less than half of poor children show up to school prepared with the early math and reading skills, emotional and behavioral control, and physical well-being needed to be ready to learn, and that disadvantage persists into adulthood. The report continues, “children with higher levels of school readiness at age five are generally more successful in grade school, less likely to drop out of high school, and earn more as adults, even after adjusting for differences in family background.”

Much of this disadvantage has been attributed to what researchers call the “word gap.” Higher-income parents spend nearly a half hour more per day engaged in direct, face-to-face, Goodnight Moon time with their children than low-income parents do, and by the time these children are 5 years old, the poor ones will have heard 30 million fewer words than their wealthy peers. Nearly all of my more affluent students read in their leisure time, but approximately two out of every 10 of my poor students tell me, “I don’t read” when I offer to help them pick out an independent reading book.

I could make a snarky comment here to RFKFan and kyc asking if Obama was a racist for pushing for childhood literacy, but I won't. It's always better to assume good intentions, something I would highly recommend.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1081 on: September 13, 2019, 06:16:07 PM »

Here's the full quote.

The teachers are -- I'm married to a teacher. My deceased wife is a teacher. They have every problem coming to them. We have -- make sure that every single child does, in fact, have 3-, 4-, and 5-year-olds go to school. School. Not daycare. School. We bring social workers in to homes and parents to help them deal with how to raise their children.

It's not want they don't want to help. They don't -- they don't know quite what to do. Play the radio, make sure the television -- excuse me, make sure you have the record player on at night, the -- the -- make sure that kids hear words. A kid coming from a very poor school -- a very poor background will hear 4 million words fewer spoken by the time they get there.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1082 on: September 13, 2019, 06:17:25 PM »

You were being sarcastic about Trump and Reagan being race-baiters?  I guess if you want to play revisionist history, I can’t stop you.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1083 on: September 13, 2019, 06:20:06 PM »

You were being sarcastic about Trump and Reagan being race-baiters?  I guess if you want to play revisionist history, I can’t stop you.
I was being sarcastic with my response when I said "Why?" which would suggest that I agree that I was race-baiting. I was not. What I said was the truth. I don't care how uncomfortable it makes Atlas posters who only give a second thought to race because it is politically advantageous to the party they support.

Here's the full quote.

The teachers are -- I'm married to a teacher. My deceased wife is a teacher. They have every problem coming to them. We have -- make sure that every single child does, in fact, have 3-, 4-, and 5-year-olds go to school. School. Not daycare. School. We bring social workers in to homes and parents to help them deal with how to raise their children.

It's not want they don't want to help. They don't -- they don't know quite what to do. Play the radio, make sure the television -- excuse me, make sure you have the record player on at night, the -- the -- make sure that kids hear words. A kid coming from a very poor school -- a very poor background will hear 4 million words fewer spoken by the time they get there.
Posting the quote of his trash statement doesn't make it less bad.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1084 on: September 13, 2019, 06:30:08 PM »

why is he referring to his deceased wife in the present tense
BundouYMB

« Reply #1085 on: September 13, 2019, 07:26:43 PM »

You were being sarcastic about Trump and Reagan being race-baiters?  I guess if you want to play revisionist history, I can’t stop you.
I was being sarcastic with my response when I said "Why?" which would suggest that I agree that I was race-baiting. I was not. What I said was the truth. I don't care how uncomfortable it makes Atlas posters who only give a second thought to race because it is politically advantageous to the party they support.

Here's the full quote.

It's getting very hard for me to believe someone could be this dense or deluded. You've got to be a troll.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #1086 on: September 13, 2019, 10:38:09 PM »

Nominating Biden would be a disaster for Democrats. To prove their non-partisan credentials the media would BOTH SIDES every insane statement Trump makes with "balanced" coverage of the latest senior Joe episode and constantly talk about if BOTH SIDES are mentally fit to be president.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #1087 on: September 13, 2019, 11:34:09 PM »

This segment might have slipped a bit under the radar Thursday night during the record-long debate, but was heavily discussed on Hill TV's morning show Rising Friday morning. Watch their critique and the 12 minute show here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT62Gd1-TjU

Is it racist to suggest that black families live in poverty and are doing poorly in life because they don't know how to parent their children?
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1088 on: September 13, 2019, 11:35:31 PM »

Biden's largest support is coming from Black voters in the southern states. Let them decide. If what fractional support he has implodes, it's because they dumped him. I trust that they can make that decision better than any of us can.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1089 on: September 13, 2019, 11:39:41 PM »

Biden could be caught in a klan outfit and he wouldn't lose support from the african american community.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1090 on: September 13, 2019, 11:52:41 PM »

Here's the full quote.

It's getting very hard for me to believe someone could be this dense or deluded. You've got to be a troll.
Continue thinking that. I really don’t care.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1091 on: September 13, 2019, 11:54:14 PM »

It is racist and paternalistic but older black voters are determined to force him through because they think he is the most palatable to white voters. It’s sad and frustrating.
Higgins
« Reply #1092 on: September 14, 2019, 12:50:16 AM »

It is racist and paternalistic but older black voters are determined to force him through because they think he is the most palatable to white voters. It’s sad and frustrating.

Deeply satisfying to me, though. The sheer joy I get from seeing people like yourself bothered, people who are utterly obsessed with race and hate the hell out of white people like myself and want me to hang my head in shame and guilt, is beyond description. If Trump wins re-election it'll be a thing of pure joy just because people like yourself will dig your heels in even more and get even more bitter and moan. And I don't even support the ignorant, stupid, embarrassing moron. But the enemy of my enemy....
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #1093 on: September 14, 2019, 02:08:25 AM »

That's not what he said.

Though it is true that poor education is often the number one reason people -- black and white -- often struggle to escape poverty.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1094 on: September 14, 2019, 07:39:50 AM »

That's not what he said.

Though it is true that poor education is often the number one reason people -- black and white -- often struggle to escape poverty.
That is what he said. The question was about repairing the legacy of slavery. It’s quite obvious he views black as synonymous with dysfunction and poverty. Have y’all forgotten “poor kids are just as smart as white kids...” already?
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #1095 on: September 14, 2019, 07:52:11 AM »
« Edited: October 05, 2019, 11:33:15 PM by Celes »

It is concerning that a man like Joe Biden would treat race and class as so inherently linked considering that he was a poor industrial-city white kid until he was 11.

Outside of the very clear racial implications of Biden's language (which I am also seriously bothered by), it's rather personal to me that he seems to have completely forgotten where he came from, if he ever knew. Bernie's "if you're white, you don't know what it's like to be poor" is another one to note, even if he's been much better than Biden on the topic overall and that quote is just a tad out of context.

There is no use in even bothering with the whole working-class schtick if you aren't going to be there for other groups as well to genuinely empathize with them. People are marginalized for plenty of reasons and to bombastically mix them together when you have direct personal experience to the contrary is a flagrant disservice to not only our democracy institutionally but every person who has ever faced discrimination in this country.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1096 on: September 14, 2019, 08:53:26 AM »

WTF is wrong with people.

He was asked how to repair the legacy of slavery in this country.  A large part of the continuing impact of slavery is urban poverty.  The official policy of the Obama administration was that education and a strong social safety net were the best levers for getting future generations out of poverty.

Biden's answer was a reflection of that (successful) policy.  Get kids in school.  Provide information to parents so they know the best techniques for raising kids who will succeed academically.  Provide social services so kids can focus on school, not on trying to find food or running around in the streets.  Do everything you can to make sure poor black kids get the same shot in life as middle-class or white kids.

Jemele Hill is an idiot but she has succeeded in throwing some red meat to the TYT/SecularTalk/Intercept/Jacobin crowd (a.k.a. the Bernie media axis) to write 1000 headlines about.  That's really all that's going on here.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1097 on: September 14, 2019, 10:23:24 AM »

Here's the full quote.

Still very inarticulate and incoherent.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #1098 on: September 14, 2019, 10:24:44 AM »

Castro is one of the best candidates running. I don't care how the media spins this, Biden's stance on healthcare is revolting and egocentric. He cares more about Obama/his "legacy" then people who still don't have healthcare. Even Harris' 10 year plan is too radical for him? What a joke.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #1099 on: September 14, 2019, 10:58:00 AM »

Remember when people thought he’d be a better candidate than Hillary Clinton? Lol.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 78  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies