Nevada set to join NPVIC (UPDATE: vetoed by idiot governor)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 10:22:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Nevada set to join NPVIC (UPDATE: vetoed by idiot governor)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
Author Topic: Nevada set to join NPVIC (UPDATE: vetoed by idiot governor)  (Read 5607 times)
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: May 30, 2019, 02:46:53 PM »

What if Trump crossed 270 EV due to Nevada? Sisolak would be the Ralph Nader of 2020.

Republicans trying to make comments on the NPVIC without understanding what it is, exhibit 8000.

Also lol at NV being a tipping point state.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #151 on: May 30, 2019, 02:47:00 PM »

Why is the OP so biased that he calls the governor an idiot for a VETO that the governor should have used
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #152 on: May 30, 2019, 02:49:33 PM »

Thank You Governor Sisolak
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #153 on: May 30, 2019, 02:51:13 PM »

Ah, so you chose to move to a state where your vote for the Republican presidential ticket has been consistently thrown in the trash every four years.

And when we had caucuses that mattered, it was a lot easier to be more effective in getting a good candidate that could compete.

And yet most of the choices of candidate had already dropped out long before ever getting as far as Minnesota.  You have the couple thousand people in completely different states to thank for that.  Funny how undemocratic processes such as caucuses tend to fail so easily!
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #154 on: May 30, 2019, 02:56:15 PM »

It will happen eventually, trust that. Regardless, if Trump loses the popular vote AND the electoral vote under the current system I'm curious to see how Republicans will try and force him back into the White House against public will. With conservatives controlling the Supreme Court I fully expect Republicans to try and have them void the election result based on some obscure interpretation of the constitution. But I don't think even the conservatives on the court are that crazy.

Mitch McConnell:  "The United States Senate will not validate the electoral votes cast for the Democratic ticket, as they were not submitted using the cover sheet that we faxed out to every state legislature well over six hours ago, and as you know, the deadline passed over five hours ago.  The Democrats have only themselves to blame."
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #155 on: May 30, 2019, 03:06:57 PM »
« Edited: May 30, 2019, 03:10:06 PM by Donborvio »

Ah, so you chose to move to a state where your vote for the Republican presidential ticket has been consistently thrown in the trash every four years.

And when we had caucuses that mattered, it was a lot easier to be more effective in getting a good candidate that could compete.

And yet most of the choices of candidate had already dropped out long before ever getting as far as Minnesota.  You have the couple thousand people in completely different states to thank for that.  Funny how undemocratic processes such as caucuses tend to fail so easily!

What's undemocratic about your neighbors getting together and discuss the candidate and then pick delegates to represent them at the county, then state, and then national level?  And which candidates dropped out before MN, not that many.  I remember in 2008 it being Ron Paul, Huckabee, Romney, Santorum, Perry, and a couple others at least.

And I moved back here to help with family, and now that family has passed on I may even move to Nevada or back to Tennessee where the laws are better than here and also family in NV.  If I stay in the area, I'll probably move to Wisconsin.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #156 on: May 30, 2019, 03:08:19 PM »

Good thing the governor vetoed this measure. Any legislation making the person with the most votes the winner is extremist and wrong.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #157 on: May 30, 2019, 03:17:17 PM »

What if Trump crossed 270 EV due to Nevada? Sisolak would be the Ralph Nader of 2020.

The NPVIC doesn't take effect until it reaches 270 electoral votes. Next time try to spend a few minutes reading about it before commenting. 
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #158 on: May 30, 2019, 04:05:20 PM »

It will happen eventually, trust that. Regardless, if Trump loses the popular vote AND the electoral vote under the current system I'm curious to see how Republicans will try and force him back into the White House against public will. With conservatives controlling the Supreme Court I fully expect Republicans to try and have them void the election result based on some obscure interpretation of the constitution. But I don't think even the conservatives on the court are that crazy.

My prediction: the GOP will try to dispute enough EVs to get the election thrown into the House, where they stand a decent chance to still control 26 states.
Theodore
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -2.78

« Reply #159 on: May 30, 2019, 04:31:43 PM »

FF Governor
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #160 on: May 30, 2019, 04:33:56 PM »

My prediction: the GOP will try to dispute enough EVs to get the election thrown into the House, where they stand a decent chance to still control 26 states.
you say that as if the democrats didn't attempt to do the same thing with Ohio in 2004
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #161 on: May 30, 2019, 06:12:35 PM »

you say that as if the democrats didn't attempt to do the same thing with Ohio in 2004

If Kerry won Ohio he would've had 271 votes.  An election goes to the House when no candidate reaches 270.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #162 on: May 30, 2019, 06:23:15 PM »

If Kerry won Ohio he would've had 271 votes.  An election goes to the House when no candidate reaches 270.

Also, IIRC, Kerry conceded the morning after the election. Any effort to "do the same thing with Ohio" was pretty much non-existant outside a few random congresspeople and radio hosts.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #163 on: May 30, 2019, 06:42:57 PM »

WHY!?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #164 on: May 30, 2019, 06:53:03 PM »

The NPVIC doesn't take effect until it reaches 270 electoral votes. Next time try to spend a few minutes reading about it before commenting. 

I don't waste time reading left social "justice" experiments.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #165 on: May 30, 2019, 07:08:34 PM »

Then why bother commenting to begin with?
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #166 on: May 30, 2019, 07:09:56 PM »

It was a protest against irregularities in how the election was conducted in Ohio (extremely long lines in Democratic areas, provisional ballots not counted, etc.). If it had theoretically succeeded, the electoral slate would have been thrown out and Bush and Cheney would have still won in the House & Senate. Everyone knew that, and it had no chance of succeeding anyway. It was just a protest.
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #167 on: May 30, 2019, 07:10:53 PM »

DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #168 on: May 30, 2019, 07:58:28 PM »

This is not a social justice experiment. It has nothing to do with social justice.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #169 on: May 30, 2019, 08:08:36 PM »

Reading about what legislation actually does is wasting time, but making a fool of yourself on Atlas is not?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #170 on: May 30, 2019, 08:12:43 PM »

Reading about what legislation actually does is wasting time, but making a fool of yourself on Atlas is not?

If Mitt Romney and Donald Trump had won the popular vote, but Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton the electoral vote, we wouldn't be having this conversation.
TWTown
GhostOfHuey
United States

« Reply #171 on: May 30, 2019, 08:16:24 PM »

I don't understand his argument. The 10 smallest states have received fewer visits in 2016 than Ohio and that two-thirds of visits in 2016 were done in the largest 20 states.
It just confuses me when people fall back on the argument that the smaller states are assisted by the EC, literally every piece of data from recent elections points to the opposite.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #172 on: May 30, 2019, 08:24:29 PM »

If Mitt Romney and Donald Trump had won the popular vote, but Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton the electoral vote, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

1. Deflection
2. Motives are not proof that an idea is good or bad, attempting to argue in this way is a logical fallacy.
3. You're right, Republican support for a popular vote plummeted after Trump was elected, so it stands to reason that if Republicans felt disadvantaged by the electoral college they would push to change it so yes indeed we wouldn't be having this conversation!
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #173 on: May 30, 2019, 08:25:23 PM »

I don't understand his argument. The 10 smallest states have received fewer visits in 2016 than Ohio and that two-thirds of visits in 2016 were done in the largest 20 states.
It just confuses me when people fall back on the argument that the smaller states are assisted by the EC, literally every piece of data from recent elections points to the opposite.

And what exactly would the NPV do to make the candidates visit the smaller states and not just the most populous ones?

And the argument about smaller states is because a voter in Wyoming has a more weighted EV vs a California EV.  But the argument for that is that's so those smaller populations have a chance in hell of electing a president they want, not so much just for visits by candidates.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #174 on: May 30, 2019, 08:46:57 PM »

That’s correct, we wouldn’t be having this conversation because every red state from Texas to Wyoming would have signed onto the NPVIC by the spring of 2013.

Now, eight pages in, will we ever see any good faith arguments against this that also demonstrate at least a basic grasp of how this extremely simple system works?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies