Nevada set to join NPVIC (UPDATE: vetoed by idiot governor)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 10:51:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Nevada set to join NPVIC (UPDATE: vetoed by idiot governor)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10
Author Topic: Nevada set to join NPVIC (UPDATE: vetoed by idiot governor)  (Read 5611 times)
emailking
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: May 29, 2019, 02:53:29 PM »

So far the only argument against NPVIC on this thread is "Democrats just want to win election more/easier".    Which is extremely weak.   It doesn't address the actual issues behind the EC/popular vote whatsoever.

My argument is actually that is all secretly Democrats want, because they either don't understand what the EC is for or don't understand what a republic is.

They know what a republic is. They want the country to be more democratic and less of a republic.

The Electoral College has no relation to being a Republic.   If it did then I believe the United States is one of the extreme few "Republics" on Earth.

I (and I believe he) mean republic in this sense:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic#United_States

The electoral college is a step away from pure democracy to indirect control.

Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #126 on: May 29, 2019, 02:58:23 PM »

So far the only argument against NPVIC on this thread is "Democrats just want to win election more/easier".    Which is extremely weak.   It doesn't address the actual issues behind the EC/popular vote whatsoever.

My argument is actually that is all secretly Democrats want, because they either don't understand what the EC is for or don't understand what a republic is.

They know what a republic is. They want the country to be more democratic and less of a republic.

The Electoral College has no relation to being a Republic.   If it did then I believe the United States is one of the extreme few "Republics" on Earth.

But... it isn't. If the Electoral College were actually a deliberative body (which, I do agree, was the original intent, but regardless of that it certainly isn't one now and really never has been), you might have a point. But it's not a deliberative body. All the Electoral College does is bundle a bunch of separate democratic elections into one result in a slightly disproportionate way. That's not republicanism at all.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #127 on: May 29, 2019, 03:02:48 PM »

Yes, the United States is a representative democracy. No, an electoral college is not a requisite characteristic of a republic. There are plenty of other republics. No one else has an electoral college.

Even if indirect election for indirect election’s sake was a positive ideal to strive for, the current electoral college doesn’t fulfill that goal. The founders intended for the electors to be a group of wise men who would meet and deliberate to elect a president. And yes, the purpose was to insulate the presidency from the will of the masses. The current electoral college bears little resemblance to that system. Instead, it is a silly math game that merely arbitrarily changes which segments of the public presidential candidates need to appeal to.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #128 on: May 29, 2019, 04:58:41 PM »

We can agree to disagree on whether it's characteristic of a republic or not. It seems to me to apply. I do think the EC should be abolished.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #129 on: May 29, 2019, 05:10:32 PM »

There is still not substantive argument against going to the popular vote to elect a President in this thread.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #130 on: May 29, 2019, 09:25:29 PM »

So far the only argument against NPVIC on this thread is "Democrats just want to win election more/easier".    Which is extremely weak.   It doesn't address the actual issues behind the EC/popular vote whatsoever.

My argument is actually that is all secretly Democrats want, because they either don't understand what the EC is for or don't understand what a republic is. That and if the popular vote does go Trump or another R's way, the hypocrisy will be blatantly apparent.  Where was this anti-EC stuff during the Obama years? Right.

Wow. Not that you're doing a fine enough job at shooting yourself in the foot I'm trying to make arguments wake up at synchronized swimmer I described, but your post here indicates you either have no concept of what a republic means, or rather what the Electoral College means, or more likely just being disingenuous. Has not been since literally about 1800 a group of big thinking Republican Representatives do the States elect vote for whom they think in their infinite smartness should be the best present. Even if one supposes, is is a friend asleep anti-democratic and archaea argument that this is a brilliant idea, again, that. Is. Not. What. The. Electoral. College. Has. Been. For. Over. 200. Years! Anyone with a sixth grade education in American history would know this!

All the Electoral College is is handful of hand-picked political hacks of nominal importance to their states who are selected to show up several weeks after the election and in a r o t e display of ceremonialism all cast their ballot 4 the candidate they pledged a year earlier to support. The fact that once in awhile a particular hack casts a meaningless protest vote for someone other than who made chosen, is again utterly irrelevant to any feasible definition of republicanism. Repair a sitter recap, not only is your argument for republicanism over direct democracy inherently flawed, elitist, and patently not in good faith, your support of the Electoral College as a tool to encourage republicanism is it self completely erroneous.
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #131 on: May 29, 2019, 10:59:19 PM »

So far the only argument against NPVIC on this thread is "Democrats just want to win election more/easier".    Which is extremely weak.   It doesn't address the actual issues behind the EC/popular vote whatsoever.

My argument is actually that is all secretly Democrats want, because they either don't understand what the EC is for or don't understand what a republic is. That and if the popular vote does go Trump or another R's way, the hypocrisy will be blatantly apparent.  Where was this anti-EC stuff during the Obama years? Right.

Wow. Not that you're doing a fine enough job at shooting yourself in the foot I'm trying to make arguments wake up at synchronized swimmer I described, but your post here indicates you either have no concept of what a republic means, or rather what the Electoral College means, or more likely just being disingenuous. Has not been since literally about 1800 a group of big thinking Republican Representatives do the States elect vote for whom they think in their infinite smartness should be the best present. Even if one supposes, is is a friend asleep anti-democratic and archaea argument that this is a brilliant idea, again, that. Is. Not. What. The. Electoral. College. Has. Been. For. Over. 200. Years! Anyone with a sixth grade education in American history would know this!

All the Electoral College is is handful of hand-picked political hacks of nominal importance to their states who are selected to show up several weeks after the election and in a r o t e display of ceremonialism all cast their ballot 4 the candidate they pledged a year earlier to support. The fact that once in awhile a particular hack casts a meaningless protest vote for someone other than who made chosen, is again utterly irrelevant to any feasible definition of republicanism. Repair a sitter recap, not only is your argument for republicanism over direct democracy inherently flawed, elitist, and patently not in good faith, your support of the Electoral College as a tool to encourage republicanism is it self completely erroneous.

Don't scramble your brain using all those big words, aww it's too late. Get off your high horse, bro.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #132 on: May 29, 2019, 11:02:31 PM »

Don't scramble your brain using all those big words, aww it's too late. Get off your high horse, bro.

An embarrassingly weak finale to an embarrassingly weak argument Bravo. Come back when you have even a scintilla of non projectionist power-grabbing to support your "argument".

Fully expecting of course, that the approximate a time frame will be quarter past never.
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #133 on: May 29, 2019, 11:07:38 PM »

An embarrassingly weak finale to an embarrassingly weak argument Bravo. Come back when you have even a scintilla of non projectionist power-grabbing to support your "argument".

Fully expecting of course, that the approximate a time frame will be quarter past never.

Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #134 on: May 30, 2019, 12:35:44 PM »

https://thenevadaindependent.com/article/sisolak-vetoes-bill-that-would-pledge-nevadas-support-to-winner-of-national-popular-vote-reject-electoral-college

Sisolak vetoed the legislation.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #135 on: May 30, 2019, 12:37:45 PM »

good for him.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #136 on: May 30, 2019, 12:53:23 PM »

Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #137 on: May 30, 2019, 01:32:47 PM »

The NPVIC would almost certainly be struck down as unconstitutional in the unlikely event it reaches 270 ev's. Good on the governor for putting a stop to this nonsense
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #138 on: May 30, 2019, 01:34:57 PM »

Hahaha, excellent. I figured something must be up since it took him a while.

“Once effective, the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact could diminish the role of smaller states like Nevada in national electoral contests and force Nevada’s electors to side with whoever wins the nationwide popular vote, rather than the candidate Nevadans choose,” Sisolak said in a statement.

That quote right there nails the argument for the current EC: State's voters vs national voters.  Hopefully most governors will think like Sisolak.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #139 on: May 30, 2019, 01:48:58 PM »

And that’s why I voted for Chris G in the primary, instead of this dipshit.

Oh well, perfect timing for me to GTFO this moronic state next month.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #140 on: May 30, 2019, 01:57:10 PM »

Between this and John Bel Edwards signing Louisianas abortion ban, the Democrats are proving they're still a big tent party. Good for them. (I still support the NPVIC though).
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #141 on: May 30, 2019, 02:01:14 PM »

Between this and John Bel Edwards signing Louisianas abortion ban, the Democrats are proving they're still a big tent party. Good for them. (I still support the NPVIC though).

They aren't a big tent party, but this does show that perhaps they do have a few elected officials who're a little less crazy than the mean democratic primary voter.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #142 on: May 30, 2019, 02:04:53 PM »

What if Trump crossed 270 EV due to Nevada? Sisolak would be the Ralph Nader of 2020.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #143 on: May 30, 2019, 02:07:20 PM »

You seem happy (and smug) for somebody whose vote in Minnesota has never counted for the Republican presidential candidate.  How worthless it must feel!
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #144 on: May 30, 2019, 02:09:53 PM »

Sisolak is cancelled.

If Democrats have balls, they'll primary the son of a bitch.  Nevada isn't a red state and progressives want to scrap the Electoral College.  This is a real cuck move.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #145 on: May 30, 2019, 02:13:27 PM »

Ugh, guess he wants his state to still get attention in presidential elections, even though it's not really much of a swing state anymore. Also, interesting how democracy has come to be seen as extreme leftism.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #146 on: May 30, 2019, 02:14:52 PM »

Also, I would have a lot more respect if the blue avvies in this thread just went full McConnell and said "This system benefits our party, this is why we don't want it abolished."  Because it really just looks like a bunch of retards trying to navigate a corn maze. Pretty embarrassing!
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #147 on: May 30, 2019, 02:39:33 PM »

Also, I would have a lot more respect if the blue avvies in this thread just went full McConnell and said "This system benefits our party, this is why we don't want it abolished."  Because it really just looks like a bunch of retards trying to navigate a corn maze. Pretty embarrassing!

The thing is, so far as we know, it has benefitted them by pure chance and rather unlikely chances at that. The 538 model has always shown a bias to the Democrats in the EC.
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #148 on: May 30, 2019, 02:41:40 PM »

Jokes on you, I haven't always lived here. And when we had caucuses that mattered, it was a lot easier to be more effective in getting a good candidate that could compete.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #149 on: May 30, 2019, 02:45:29 PM »

It will happen eventually, trust that. Regardless, if Trump loses the popular vote AND the electoral vote under the current system I'm curious to see how Republicans will try and force him back into the White House against public will. With conservatives controlling the Supreme Court I fully expect Republicans to try and have them void the election result based on some obscure interpretation of the constitution. But I don't think even the conservatives on the court are that crazy.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies