Joe Biden 2020 campaign megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 09:35:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Joe Biden 2020 campaign megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 65
Author Topic: Joe Biden 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 116759 times)
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #750 on: April 26, 2019, 04:40:15 PM »

Reposting

S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #751 on: April 26, 2019, 04:48:34 PM »

Followed by 1999
Followed by 2015
Followed by 1994
Followed by 2002

Least favorite is 1991
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #752 on: April 26, 2019, 04:57:16 PM »
« Edited: April 26, 2019, 05:02:58 PM by Ghost of Ruin »

As things stand now, voting for Biden over Trump  would be an easy decision. (If he were to get the nomination. He is far from my first choice.) But I fear Biden is going to do his best to make voting for him in the general a difficult, or painful choice.

Our first example of that:

https://www.democracynow.org/2019/4/26/headlines/comcasts_top_lobbyist_holds_fundraiser_for_biden_in_philadelphia
In other campaign news, Biden marked his first day on the campaign trail by attending a $2,800-per-person fundraiser in Philadelphia at the home of Comcast’s top lobbyist, David Cohen.

I will almost certainly end up voting for an establishment Dem who wins the nomination. But Biden, at least, has launched his campaign on a trajectory that suggests he has no interest in making unity in the face of the GOP and Trump easier, but rather the opposite.

Editing to add: More than anything else, this makes me angry because it seems so stupidly tone-deaf. Does Biden not understand how bad holding his first fundraising shindig at the home of the chief lobbyist of what is literally the most hated company in America looks? Politically, it just seems dumb. I'm supposed to think that, starting from this, Biden has the campaign skills to beat Trump and the right-wing propaganda machine? I think the percieved incompetence is more infuriating than the implied sell-out.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #753 on: April 26, 2019, 05:38:15 PM »

Biden raised $6.3 million on day 1. More than any other candidate.

How many donors?
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #754 on: April 26, 2019, 05:40:55 PM »

Biden raised $6.3 million on day 1. More than any other candidate.

How many donors?

About 97K.
UnselfconsciousTeff
Rookie
Egypt

« Reply #755 on: April 26, 2019, 06:12:23 PM »

I do think Biden has a fair shot but i think he also destroyed his credibility by not running in 2016
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #756 on: April 26, 2019, 06:18:06 PM »

I do think Biden has a fair shot but i think he also destroyed his credibility by not running in 2016

I'm not so sure about that. A three-way primary between him, Clinton, and Sanders would have been even uglier than the primary the got in 2016. That could have been a circumstance where we saw a brokered convention and made the eventual nominee even weaker in the general election. He probably did the right thing by not running then.

As for him running now, I kind of wish he stayed out of this primary too. But I am starting to accept that he will probably be the nominee. If that's the case, he better be able to beat Trump as easily as him and and early polling suggests at this point. 
UnselfconsciousTeff
Rookie
Egypt

« Reply #757 on: April 26, 2019, 06:24:22 PM »

>Inb4 This is before he became Obama's VP
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #758 on: April 26, 2019, 07:26:21 PM »

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #759 on: April 26, 2019, 08:01:47 PM »

F*** F*** F*** F***
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #760 on: April 26, 2019, 08:06:41 PM »

I'm not so sure about that. A three-way primary between him, Clinton, and Sanders would have been even uglier than the primary the got in 2016. That could have been a circumstance where we saw a brokered convention and made the eventual nominee even weaker in the general election. He probably did the right thing by not running then ...

Agree.
Also, remember that Biden lost his son (and he lost his first wife and another child in the 70's).
So his mind, and that of his immediate family, where not in the right place. We need to consider this devastating loss, in his decision regarding 2016.
His son Beau died on May 30, 2015, after a two-year battle with brain cancer. So all the sickness and death of Beau (and grieving thereafter), fell during a time a candidate would normally announce and start campaigning.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #761 on: April 26, 2019, 10:15:49 PM »

So he raised 6 million dollars off less than 100,000 people?

Methinks big money has their candidate.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #762 on: April 26, 2019, 10:37:40 PM »

Biden's awful record on criminal justice is going to be used to depress black turnout in the same way it was used against Hillary. Can see young black voters spurning him like they did with Hillary while he does fine with older blacks. I actually think he'd bleed more young voters to 3rd parties than Hillary did, truly awful record on pot he even called it a gateway drug.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #763 on: April 26, 2019, 11:16:26 PM »
« Edited: April 26, 2019, 11:23:49 PM by UWS »

So he raised 6 million dollars off less than 100,000 people?

Methinks big money has their candidate.

It was obvious from the beginning that Biden is going to be the candidate of special interests a lot like Hillary Clinton was in the 2016 primaries.
jhkersting
Rookie

« Reply #764 on: April 26, 2019, 11:27:17 PM »

Biden is by far the favorite in my democratic primary forecast!

https://jhkforecastsetc.com/demprimaryforecast/
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #765 on: April 26, 2019, 11:50:10 PM »

Well, there isn't much else he could do unless he promises to impeach Thomas and even then the accusations against Kavanaugh are worse.

He could actually apologize for being involved in what happened.

His "apology" to Anita Hill is kinda like saying "I'm so sorry that you tripped and fell in the mud! That shouldn't have happened." But he was the one that tripped her, so a real apology should involve personal responsibility. "I'm sorry I tripped you." But he hasn't ever taken personal responsibility. He just doubles down on his white guy paternalism about how he wishes he could have protected her.

Same goes for the ticking stuff. "I'm sorry you were made uncomfortable by my actions," not "I'm sorry I touched you and assumed you would like it." Complete unwillingness to accept personal responsibility. Ugh
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #766 on: April 27, 2019, 01:25:30 AM »

I can promise one thing regarding Biden's campaign: he'll never become President, even if he manages to win the nomination. Progressives will be far less willing to hold their nose and vote for Biden than they did for Clinton - and the fear of Trump won't be as powerful this time around. Turnout will be depressed and he'll bleed support to third parties. Combine that with the inevitable floor of Trump's support and his right-wing propaganda machine, and the result will be a Trump victory and presidency through January 2025.

And, yes, I'll absolutely be one of those voters who sit out the election or votes third party - and would encourage everyone I know to do the same.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #767 on: April 27, 2019, 01:29:19 AM »

Moving out of Florida was one of the best decisions you’ve ever made. Thank you low COL red states for making Jacobin’s vote irrelevant!
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #768 on: April 27, 2019, 01:31:52 AM »

Moving out of Florida was one of the best decisions you’ve ever made. Thank you low COL red states for making Jacobin’s vote irrelevant!

Ah, yes, let's all celebrate the undemocratic electoral college for favoring certain voters over others. Joyous!
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #769 on: April 27, 2019, 04:02:32 AM »

Ah, yes, let's all celebrate the undemocratic electoral college for favoring certain voters over others. Joyous!

Implying that this is a slur of some sort.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #770 on: April 27, 2019, 09:39:49 AM »

Implying that this is a slur of some sort.

Yes, to a normal person it would be.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #771 on: April 27, 2019, 10:57:15 AM »

Ugh, it’s like he’s not even living in 2019. If we nominate him, we deserve to lose.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #772 on: April 27, 2019, 11:10:29 AM »

Progressives will be far less willing to hold their nose and vote for Biden than they did for Clinton - and the fear of Trump won't be as powerful this time around.

Two very bold assumptions, if you ask me. I’m sure this would be the case if the election were held on US Election Atlas Dot Org, but it’s not.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #773 on: April 27, 2019, 11:57:31 AM »

Progressives will be far less willing to hold their nose and vote for Biden than they did for Clinton - and the fear of Trump won't be as powerful this time around.

Two very bold assumptions, if you ask me. I’m sure this would be the case if the election were held on US Election Atlas Dot Org, but it’s not.

Yeah, there's a world of difference between Biden and Clinton, at least in terms of perception. The lay person probably hated Clinton's haircut and thought she was a shrill lady who  did not deserve anything she got. Whereas they sure like Joe's haircut and that he's "working class"
Misogyny is a real bitch. Clinton was far better for Democratic values than Biden. At the very least the party would be able to push her to the left when she needed to be. I guarantee you Biden will get elected, look us dead in the face and do something the majority or plurality of Democrats don't want just so he can appease Republicans. He is toxic.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #774 on: April 27, 2019, 01:06:17 PM »

I can promise one thing regarding Biden's campaign: he'll never become President, even if he manages to win the nomination. Progressives will be far less willing to hold their nose and vote for Biden than they did for Clinton - and the fear of Trump won't be as powerful this time around. Turnout will be depressed and he'll bleed support to third parties. Combine that with the inevitable floor of Trump's support and his right-wing propaganda machine, and the result will be a Trump victory and presidency through January 2025.

And, yes, I'll absolutely be one of those voters who sit out the election or votes third party - and would encourage everyone I know to do the same.
Then you are quite clearly not a progressive. You would be a Trp supporter in that case, and deserve to be treated as such.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 65  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies