Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 04:27:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 ... 77
Author Topic: Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 129846 times)
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1400 on: May 06, 2019, 04:55:46 PM »

This egotistical boosting is why I detest the Sanders movement.  If they cared about the future of our nation they would say the same for several candidates running against Sanders. Oh no, we can't let the other slimy Neo-liberals get in our way, it's all King Bernie to the rescue, for he'll save us from the mercy of Trump.

With the exception of Warren, the other candidates probably *aren’t* going to fundamentally transform the country, though. They’re just normal Democrats.

Bernie and Warren are no different. Neither of them are going to transform the country given the current make up of congress.

Sure they will, if they generate enough excitement, they flip AZ/CO/ME and NC/GA in the Senate which takes care of Mitch. And they'll have Speaker Pelosi to pick up the slack in The House.

The first two years of Obama when he had both were by far the most transformative years. It stands then that Bernie/Warren should be able to do the same.

Polarization is a double-edged sword, not a GOP-Always-Wins one. 
JG

« Reply #1401 on: May 06, 2019, 05:55:56 PM »

This egotistical boosting is why I detest the Sanders movement.  If they cared about the future of our nation they would say the same for several candidates running against Sanders. Oh no, we can't let the other slimy Neo-liberals get in our way, it's all King Bernie to the rescue, for he'll save us from the mercy of Trump.

With the exception of Warren, the other candidates probably *aren’t* going to fundamentally transform the country, though. They’re just normal Democrats.

Bernie and Warren are no different. Neither of them are going to transform the country given the current make up of congress.

Sure they will, if they generate enough excitement, they flip AZ/CO/ME and NC/GA in the Senate which takes care of Mitch. And they'll have Speaker Pelosi to pick up the slack in The House.

The first two years of Obama when he had both were by far the most transformative years. It stands then that Bernie/Warren should be able to do the same.

Even if they do gain control of the Senate, I have a hard time seeing how Sanders could get the likes of Sinema, Manchin, Warner and all to go along his plans. It will probably end up being incremental changes similar to what we would have gotten under a HRC presidency (ignoring the fact that there was very little chance of winning back the house in 2016, mind you).
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1402 on: May 06, 2019, 05:59:08 PM »

Bernie/Warren don't have the mainstream appeal that Obama had in 2008 and they aren't generating that kind of excitement that Obama did. They won't have the impact that Obama had down the ballot in 2008. Ironically, Biden is the only one so far who in theory could do that. But that is still a major reach IMO.

Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #1403 on: May 06, 2019, 06:53:12 PM »

This egotistical boosting is why I detest the Sanders movement.  If they cared about the future of our nation they would say the same for several candidates running against Sanders. Oh no, we can't let the other slimy Neo-liberals get in our way, it's all King Bernie to the rescue, for he'll save us from the mercy of Trump.

We shouldn't forget the fact that there are congressional elections next year, which gives Democrats a chance to pick up more seats in the Senate and the House and actually fulfill a progressive mandate.
HarrisonL

« Reply #1404 on: May 08, 2019, 07:07:34 AM »

Bernie's only path at this point is use his $$ advantage and run negative ads against Biden non stop in the early states. It's the only way to stop him, negative ads work and there's so much material to work from.

Possible it could work in theory but in practice, the types of "negative" ads that Bernie's SJW advisors would tell him to run would be ads about how Biden put gang members in jail in the early 90s, such ads would actually help Biden.

Honestly along with that Sanders probably would focus more on stressing his own policy this campaign rather than creating a toxic fight against Biden.
Higgins
« Reply #1405 on: May 11, 2019, 02:33:53 PM »

Bernie's only path at this point is use his $$ advantage and run negative ads against Biden non stop in the early states. It's the only way to stop him, negative ads work and there's so much material to work from.

Possible it could work in theory but in practice, the types of "negative" ads that Bernie's SJW advisors would tell him to run would be ads about how Biden put gang members in jail in the early 90s, such ads would actually help Biden.

Honestly along with that Sanders probably would focus more on stressing his own policy this campaign rather than creating a toxic fight against Biden.

I don't think Bernie would tolerate getting screwed over by an establishment candidate yet again. He only reluctantly endorsed Hillary under a great deal of pressure in 2016. I do not think he will repeat what he probably sees as a mistake. I think Bernie could very well pull a 1976 Reagan this time around and if the numbers/votes allow for it, challenge Biden right up to the convention.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #1406 on: May 13, 2019, 08:59:55 AM »

This is what happens when you listen to TYT and Kulinski. Believe any wild sh**t they throw out there because their boy ain't winning. No different from Fox.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1407 on: May 13, 2019, 09:12:25 AM »
« Edited: May 13, 2019, 09:25:34 AM by Sir Mohamed »

This is what happens when you listen to TYT and Kulinski. Believe any wild sh**t they throw out there because their boy ain't winning. No different from Fox.

LOL... the dude shot himself in the foot by calling for voting rights for the worst felons. Also, a majority of Dems are not where Twitter leftists are. Social media is a safe space not reflecting reality.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #1408 on: May 13, 2019, 09:22:35 AM »

LOL... the dude shot himself in the foot by calling for voting right for the worst felons.

I'm not a Bernie fan, but it's sad that he's shooting himself in the foot by being right.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1409 on: May 13, 2019, 09:30:03 AM »

LOL... the dude shot himself in the foot by calling for voting right for the worst felons.

I'm not a Bernie fan, but it's sad that he's shooting himself in the foot by being right.

I respectfully disagree here. The worst felons like murderers and rapists shouldn't get their voting rights restored until they have paid their debt to society.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #1410 on: May 13, 2019, 09:33:58 AM »

I respectfully disagree here. The worst felons like murderers and rapists shouldn't get their voting rights restored until they have paid their debt to society.

It's a legitimate position. I believe that the right to vote is unalienable, and not to be taken, whatever someone does. The right to get elected is obviously entirely different, but felons vote in Israel and there's no issue with that.
Old Man Willow
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1411 on: May 13, 2019, 09:49:40 AM »

Cenk and Ana are jokes, but I am absolutely shocked to learn that Kyle was participating in this garbage. I had to actually look it up to see for sure. How can they be this stupid? Some of the same people who laughed at the Romney unskewing debacle are now repeating it themselves. What the hell are they going to do when Bernie goes down in flames next year? Scream FAKE RESULTS?
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1412 on: May 13, 2019, 12:38:50 PM »

In other words: The system and polls are rigged if I don't win. Somehow this sounds familiar...
Higgins
« Reply #1413 on: May 13, 2019, 04:49:19 PM »

Bernie shouldn't have gotten the facelift and haircut. He looks like 2001 era Dick Cheney nowadays.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1414 on: May 13, 2019, 05:15:47 PM »

Poll unskewing doesn't lead to great places.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1415 on: May 13, 2019, 05:23:34 PM »

Democrats are coalascing around Biden, as he is the better or the two, between himself and Trump

Bernie already said he isn't for Crt packing, as soft money was already disqualified by the Roberts Crt by Citizens United.
HarrisonL

« Reply #1416 on: May 14, 2019, 06:52:23 AM »

One of my friends has been mad at Bernie supporting Warren. Do y'all think that a faction of BernieBros in 2016 will vote Warren in 2020? (I'm talking about the people that wanted Warren to run in 2016).
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1417 on: May 14, 2019, 10:40:14 AM »

One of my friends has been mad at Bernie supporting Warren. Do y'all think that a faction of BernieBros in 2016 will vote Warren in 2020? (I'm talking about the people that wanted Warren to run in 2016).

People that support Sanders but not Warren cannot logically call themselves progressive.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1418 on: May 14, 2019, 06:20:10 PM »

People that support Sanders but not Warren cannot logically call themselves progressive.

Thank you!
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1419 on: May 14, 2019, 07:35:13 PM »

Thank you!

It's not that hard. Most progressives who support Sanders (myself included) would be ecstatic if Warren were nominated.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1420 on: May 14, 2019, 08:47:22 PM »

Thank you!

It's not that hard. Most progressives who support Sanders (myself included) would be ecstatic if Warren were nominated.

Ecstatic no. Relived that it's not someone worse, yes.
Some of My Best Friends Are Gay
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #1421 on: May 14, 2019, 08:51:23 PM »

Thank you!

What policy differences does Warren have with Sanders?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1422 on: May 14, 2019, 09:00:40 PM »

Thank you!

What policy differences does Warren have with Sanders?

She voted multiple times to increase the bloated military budget under Trump, and showed other signs of being more hawkish. She never made any mention of supporting single payer until after Hillary lost. And she just doesn't have a long record of being consistently progressive, having been a Republican until she was 47 years old.
James Monroe

« Reply #1423 on: May 16, 2019, 06:50:19 PM »

Quote from: Harper
Is an old white man who overlooks the pressures women are made to deal with because of their gender really the best person to lead the Democratic party forward?

Bernie Sanders is back and, if people were feeling the Bern in 2016, they might find their sentiments a bit more lukewarm in 2019. In political field filled with younger women and people of color, it’s reasonable to ask whether or not an older white man is the best person to lead the Democratic party (which he doesn’t technically belong to) forward.

That’s especially true when Bernie makes statements like, “We have got to look at candidates, you know, not by the color of their skin, not by their sexual orientation or their gender and not by their age. I mean, I think we have got to try to move us toward a non-discriminatory society which looks at people based on their abilities, based on what they stand for.”

The problem with that statement is that factors like race, gender, and sexual orientation actually do influence how seriously people are taken, and how hard they have to work to be able to rise to the same heights as heterosexual white men. What’s taken as commonplace or quirkily charming in white men is seen as objectionable in others. And Bernie has benefited from that standard.

When Bernie Sanders eats, he's met with applause. When Kristin Gillibrand does it, it’s proof that she’s “contrived and opportunistic.”

Bernie Sander’s love life is seen as a wonderful part of what defined his beliefs, whereas Kamala Harris' dating history—and seemingly the fact that she dated at all—is seen as proof that she’s a gold digger. If you think for a second that a female candidate or a person of color who has been married twice and had a child with another partner—as Bernie has—would not be treated extremely harshly, if not seen as being ineligible to run altogether, well, I have a bridge to sell you.

Bernie Sanders seems to feel those double standards can just be overlooked, even when sexism has clearly manifested in his own campaign. And not just when his surrogates called his opponent a “democratic whore.” According to The New York Times, one of Bernie’s delegates claimed in an email that within his campaign, “There was an entire wave of rotten sexual harassment that seemingly was never dealt with.”

When women who worked for him came forward to discuss how they were paid less and experienced sexual harassment, Bernie initially replied, “I was a little bit busy running around the country” and seemingly couldn’t be expected to know about staff complaints. Bernie now seems to be trying to discuss those issues, but, frankly, after his female staffers came forward to talk to The New York Times, it would be impossible for any candidate not to do so. Sadly, it doesn’t seem to have been his instinct before then.

That’s in keeping with someone who claimed, “women’s issues were a distraction.” And while many male candidates for President might have felt that way, this year is filled with women who don’t. Women who have a lived experience of “women’s issues” are very willing to talk about them proudly.

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/culture/politics/a26517395/bernie-sanders-2020-campaign-gender-comments-explained/

Well-written article that gets the blunt of why I can't hide my disdain for Bernie and his movement.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1424 on: May 16, 2019, 10:32:16 PM »

Quote from: Harper
That’s especially true when Bernie makes statements like, “We have got to look at candidates, you know, not by the color of their skin, not by their sexual orientation or their gender and not by their age. I mean, I think we have got to try to move us toward a non-discriminatory society which looks at people based on their abilities, based on what they stand for.”

It's horrifying that these activist factions want to make the Democratic Party a place where this statement is controversial. You're building a party on identity hustlers and their dupes.

At the moment, Biden, Sanders, and Buttigieg collectively account for a large majority of primary support.  It's no coincidence that they've had such success in a crowded primary while doing less to pander to these toxic tendencies than anyone else in this crowded field.

This is the crux of what I'm saying personally i'm the wrong leftie to talk to about affirmative action, because both my parents got screwed over hard by it.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 ... 77  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies