Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:13:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 75 76 [77]
Author Topic: Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 127338 times)
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1900 on: September 10, 2019, 10:24:30 PM »

This is such an... interesting exchange.

Despite being absolutely the right position, saying we wouldn't ban fracking "overnight" would get any other candidate destroyed by Bernie world. But then of course he pivots back to his stump speech saying the climate crisis is an immediate threat. Then why is banning fracking overnight not viable? Such a bizarre answer.

But assuming he's serious about not implementing an immediate fracking ban (whatever that even means... pretty obviously this wouldn't be legal), good on Sanders for taking the sensible position. Ya hate to see Bernie taking a more sensible and feasible position than my girl Liz.

I haven't listened to this interview yet but I'm looking forward to it!
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1901 on: September 10, 2019, 11:32:07 PM »

Despite being absolutely the right position, saying we wouldn't ban fracking "overnight" would get any other candidate destroyed by Bernie world. But then of course he pivots back to his stump speech saying the climate crisis is an immediate threat. Then why is banning fracking overnight not viable? Such a bizarre answer.

But assuming he's serious about not implementing an immediate fracking ban (whatever that even means... pretty obviously this wouldn't be legal), good on Sanders for taking the sensible position. Ya hate to see Bernie taking a more sensible and feasible position than my girl Liz.

He'd obviously ban new fracking, but old fracking would be grandfathered. That's just like how the Chevron refinery with a shoddy safety record next to the San Francisco bay in Richmond, CA would never be allowed to be built today, but it's grandfathered in.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #1902 on: September 10, 2019, 11:36:19 PM »

He'd obviously ban new fracking, but old fracking would be grandfathered. That's just like how the Chevron refinery with a shoddy safety record next to the San Francisco bay in Richmond, CA would never be allowed to be built today, but it's grandfathered in.

Hey now, don't you talk that way about the Richmond refinery. There's no causal evidence that it was responsible for that particular cancer cluster.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #1903 on: September 11, 2019, 12:19:31 AM »

The fact that he is proudly having Sharia apologist Linda Sarsour is a total and utter disgrace.
redjohn

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #1904 on: September 11, 2019, 10:12:26 AM »

I'm a big fan of Sarsour. Establishment folks despise her for having the audacity to support BDS and criticize Israeli treatment of Palestinians (as anyone who claims to really support freedom and democracy should), but she's a great advocate. Love to see it.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #1905 on: September 11, 2019, 01:37:26 PM »

I'm a big fan of Sarsour. Establishment folks despise her for having the audacity to support BDS and criticize Israeli treatment of Palestinians (as anyone who claims to really support freedom and democracy should), but she's a great advocate. Love to see it.

She is a Sharia apologist
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #1906 on: September 11, 2019, 03:02:38 PM »

And an anti-semite.
redjohn

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1907 on: September 11, 2019, 03:03:02 PM »

Uh... Okay? She posted a sarcastic tweet comparing Sharia law to loans and credit cards. Hardly think this makes her worse than people who are against activism calling out Palestinian homes being bulldozed and a rampant apartheid regime destroying the native culture of a region.

Again, the trick is to call any progressive a "____ apologist" in an attempt to immediately discredit them. Kamala Harris is a Netanyahu apologist. Elizabeth Warren is a military-industrial-complex apologist. See? We can play the name game all day long.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #1908 on: September 11, 2019, 04:07:10 PM »

Linda Sarsour is a singularly evil woman.
Askew
Rookie

« Reply #1909 on: September 11, 2019, 04:13:14 PM »

The fact that he is proudly having Sharia apologist Linda Sarsour is a total and utter disgrace.

Sarsour is an anti-Semitic bigot. Shame on Bernie for having anything to do with her.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1910 on: September 11, 2019, 04:14:34 PM »

Looking forward to Sanders and Warren taking Biden down in the debate
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #1911 on: September 12, 2019, 02:14:11 PM »

Sarsour is not antisemitic (unless you preposterously extend that term to mean a BDS supporter). She is however certainly a Sharia apologist. This is the only way one can definite her audacious lies that Sharia is not imposed on non-Muslims in Muslim countries.
Of course, this is not especially relevant in a country like the US...
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1912 on: September 12, 2019, 06:27:48 PM »

#MartyWasFirst
redjohn

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1913 on: September 12, 2019, 07:02:43 PM »

Sarsour is an anti-Semitic bigot. Shame on Bernie for having anything to do with her.

Why is Israel so unique that criticizing its terrible policies makes one anti-Semitic? Pretty ridiculous. Being critical of Saudi Arabia doesn't make one Islamophobic, criticizing Italy doesn't make one anti-Catholic, etc. The idea that Israel can do no wrong is incredibly dangerous and is allowing the total destruction of Palestine and the continued abuse of the Palestinian people. Yes, there are national security goals in maintaining an alliance with Israel, but nowhere does this alliance say that the US can't criticize Israel.
James Monroe

« Reply #1914 on: September 12, 2019, 08:34:43 PM »

Loser of the night, ladies and gentleman...
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1915 on: September 12, 2019, 11:20:25 PM »

Meh. He was fine, even in spite of needing a cough drop. Everybody did fine.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #1916 on: September 13, 2019, 11:30:45 AM »

Do Sanders supporters in this thread actually support keeping the filibuster?

I supported Sanders in 2016, and I've tentatively switched my allegiance to Warren this time around.

I keep looking for ways to find substantive differences between the two candidates, and last night the filibuster seemed like the biggest one.

Even the most of the moderates among the Democratic field oppose the filibuster at this point.

If you still support Sanders, why do you think the filibuster is a good idea?
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1917 on: September 13, 2019, 11:44:28 AM »

Jack Monroe over here has spoken, folks.  Time to put the ol' campaign to bed. 
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1918 on: September 13, 2019, 05:27:21 PM »

I supported Sanders in 2016, and I've tentatively switched my allegiance to Warren this time around.

I keep looking for ways to find substantive differences between the two candidates, and last night the filibuster seemed like the biggest one.

Even the most of the moderates among the Democratic field oppose the filibuster at this point.

Because Democrats are infamously shortsighted both here and on the Supreme Court. How do you stop Republicans from passing whatever they want next time they have a trifecta? How do you stop them adding two more judges to the Supreme Court whenever the hell they want?

That SCOTUS point in particular gets me. At what point does everyone say "this has gone too far"? 50 judges? 100?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1919 on: September 13, 2019, 09:58:41 PM »

Well, Bernie is back to 3rd place. What a lackluster debate after his surrogate promised that he would go on the offensive more in the debate.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #1920 on: September 14, 2019, 01:03:35 PM »

Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1921 on: September 14, 2019, 02:51:28 PM »

I'm more curious about the whole stolen from Trump 2015 headline at the bottom.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1922 on: September 14, 2019, 03:26:57 PM »

Because Democrats are infamously shortsighted both here and on the Supreme Court. How do you stop Republicans from passing whatever they want next time they have a trifecta? How do you stop them adding two more judges to the Supreme Court whenever the hell they want?

That SCOTUS point in particular gets me. At what point does everyone say "this has gone too far"? 50 judges? 100?

The legislative filibuster is in its last throes anyway. Better for Democrats to abolish it when they have a chance to actually pass their agenda than letting Republicans do it when they have the chance.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #1923 on: September 14, 2019, 04:27:33 PM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=334961.0

Locking.
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 75 76 [77]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length