Pete Buttigieg 2020 campaign megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 01:03:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Pete Buttigieg 2020 campaign megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 74
Author Topic: Pete Buttigieg 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 137526 times)
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #575 on: June 22, 2019, 08:09:26 PM »

Good grief. Buttigieg's only mistake here was attempting to speak with people who only wanted to shout at him.

The worst part is that nothing he has said or done has been out of step politically, socially, or legally. He's just in a bad spot as someone who happens to be running for President so it seems like he's only doing this for the photo op. Which sucks, but it's important to understand why this moment is so important for his campaign: he is dealing directly with one of the most difficult issues for a politician to face: race relations. His statements and policy proposals from here on will show what he learned from this. I just fear that the clip of the protesters yelling at him will become an attack ad saying he doesn't represent black interests.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #576 on: June 22, 2019, 09:17:30 PM »

Good grief. Buttigieg's only mistake here was attempting to speak with people who only wanted to shout at him.

The worst part is that nothing he has said or done has been out of step politically, socially, or legally. He's just in a bad spot as someone who happens to be running for President so it seems like he's only doing this for the photo op. Which sucks, but it's important to understand why this moment is so important for his campaign: he is dealing directly with one of the most difficult issues for a politician to face: race relations. His statements and policy proposals from here on will show what he learned from this. I just fear that the clip of the protesters yelling at him will become an attack ad saying he doesn't represent black interests.

He's not ready because he doesn't care enough about it
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #577 on: June 22, 2019, 09:21:20 PM »

Does anybody outside of the BLM Twittersphere or Atlas care about this? I have seen literally zero mainstream coverage of this, although admittedly I haven't been watching cable news much recently.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #578 on: June 22, 2019, 09:33:38 PM »

I can't get over him wanting to leapfrog from Mayor to President despite doing nothing remarkable during his tenure. And I hate how the media acts like he revitalized the city or something when all he did was govern during the recovery.
The Undefeatable Debbie Stabenow
slightlyburnttoast
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -5.43

P P
« Reply #579 on: June 22, 2019, 10:08:24 PM »

Does anybody outside of the BLM Twittersphere or Atlas care about this? I have seen literally zero mainstream coverage of this, although admittedly I haven't been watching cable news much recently.

Seconded, I don’t think this single event really matters. I haven’t seen any coverage of it either, and it’s not like any of the candidates seem very interested in tearing anyone not named Joe Biden down at the debates, so I doubt it’ll be brought up unless a moderator integrates it into a question.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #580 on: June 22, 2019, 10:34:21 PM »

Yea.. Pete isn't ready.

This is pathetic. South Bend has a race problem and he's acting as a product of it.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #581 on: June 22, 2019, 11:45:24 PM »
« Edited: June 22, 2019, 11:53:34 PM by Parrotguy »

This is a better thread, if you all want to get over obsessing about a soundbite. Buttigieg has literally done nothing wrong concerning this shooting, he's doing all he can within the constraints of the law. There are other things to attack him on- using this shows the attacks are just disingenuous (which, of course, they often are). And worse, it's using a police shooting to score sick burns against someone you decided you don't like.

I can't get over him wanting to leapfrog from Mayor to President despite doing nothing remarkable during his tenure. And I hate how the media acts like he revitalized the city or something when all he did was govern during the recovery.

Glad to hear that all cities in the rust belt are doing as well as South Bend, and are actually rising in population for the first time in a long while!
Seriously lol. People in Atlas seem to pick who they hate and who they like based on arbitrary personal factors and then just roll with it stubbornly. You don't have to support Buttigieg to admit he was a good Mayor.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #582 on: June 22, 2019, 11:45:39 PM »

Yea.. Pete isn't ready.

This is pathetic. South Bend has a race problem and he's acting as a product of it.

I doubt he even had substantial black support there to begin with, both his Mayoral elections were super low turnout. He won with 8,000 votes last time would not surprise me if that electorate was 80-90% white.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #583 on: June 23, 2019, 12:18:29 AM »

This is a better thread, if you all want to get over obsessing about a soundbite. Buttigieg has literally done nothing wrong concerning this shooting, he's doing all he can within the constraints of the law. There are other things to attack him on- using this shows the attacks are just disingenuous (which, of course, they often are). And worse, it's using a police shooting to score sick burns against someone you decided you don't like.

Glad to hear that all cities in the rust belt are doing as well as South Bend, and are actually rising in population for the first time in a long while!
Seriously lol. People in Atlas seem to pick who they hate and who they like based on arbitrary personal factors and then just roll with it stubbornly. You don't have to support Buttigieg to admit he was a good Mayor.

Not what we've been hearing from his constituents so far lol
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #584 on: June 23, 2019, 12:24:52 AM »

Not what we've been hearing from his constituents so far lol

That's just not true but ok. Passionately hating Democratic candidates for no real substantive reasons will definitely help you defeat Trump.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #585 on: June 23, 2019, 02:53:46 AM »

Of course the media isnt covering it. It would make pete look bad
Higgins
« Reply #586 on: June 23, 2019, 06:35:08 AM »

If any other candidate told a black protestor he "isn't asking for (their) vote", the Jedi would tar them as a racist, or at best, racially insensitive and their campaign would be done. The media ended Howard Dean in 04 because he got over exuberant at a rally...
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #587 on: June 23, 2019, 06:53:01 AM »

MEMO
To: Pete Buttigieg

Body: Never say "I'm not asking for your vote." Say "we're not talking about voting right now."

END
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #588 on: June 23, 2019, 12:16:09 PM »
« Edited: June 23, 2019, 12:19:10 PM by Unbeatable Titan John James »

MEMO
To: Pete Buttigieg

Body: Never say "I'm not asking for your vote." Say "we're not talking about voting right now."

END

To which the folks complaining about this on Twitter would've responded: "White man tells black protestors they're not allowed to talk about voting unless he gives them permission!  #SlaveMaster #Racism #DefeatPete"

If any other candidate told a black protestor he "isn't asking for (their) vote", the Jedi would tar them as a racist, or at best, racially insensitive and their campaign would be done. The media ended Howard Dean in 04 because he got over exuberant at a rally...

No, Dean's campaign imploded because he came a distant third in a state (Iowa) where he needed to wipe the floor with the other candidates in order to have a serious chance of being the nominee.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #589 on: June 23, 2019, 12:58:49 PM »

If any other candidate told a black protestor he "isn't asking for (their) vote", the Jedi would tar them as a racist, or at best, racially insensitive and their campaign would be done.

Huh
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #590 on: June 23, 2019, 01:34:43 PM »

The way he handled that AA voter shows he's a political lightweight.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #591 on: June 23, 2019, 02:49:44 PM »

This guy can barely handle the pre-debates heat. I can't see him doing well in the debates if he cracks under the pressure of an overly emotional, overzealous police-protester.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #592 on: June 23, 2019, 02:54:55 PM »

He should've said 'I'm not campaigning right now I'm here to listen to you as your Mayor' or something along those lines. Or not go to the protest at all in the first place.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #593 on: June 23, 2019, 03:54:44 PM »

Yikes! I’m watching his town hall on CNN with South Bend residents and the optics are terrible. He is getting nowhere near the nomination.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #594 on: June 23, 2019, 03:59:29 PM »

Just watching some of the live footage on MSNBC of the Town Hall in South Bend today and for many Democratic Primary voters who don't know much about Pete, these optics are just devastating.

The obvious question even many of his supporters might have looking at this, is how can he lead the United States as President if he can't even address issues in the small Midwestern factory town as Mayor, on arguably one of the biggest political lightning rods in US History since the late '50s.

I would imagine a significant chunk of his support in South Bend came from the 25% Black population of the City (Although I haven't looked into precinct numbers from an historical perspective to see the voting patterns within the City).

I don't have strong opinions on Pete either way, but I would suspect that if he *can't* prove to be successful in addressing this issue within his own community heads-on, he will quickly dribble support to other candidates, and have just been another "flavor of the Month".

If he *can appear to be successful* addressing these issues and show leadership and resolution, he does have an opportunity to expand his base of support.

Right now the jury is out, and not all events are directly under the control of a Political Candidate, but he does have a chance to create a favorable political opportunity structure if he pulls a rabbit out of his hat on this one....

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #595 on: June 23, 2019, 04:01:53 PM »

I would imagine a significant chunk of his support in South Bend came from the 25% Black population of the City (Although I haven't looked into precinct numbers from an historical perspective to see the voting patterns within the City).

It was a low turnout race where he barely got 8000 votes.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #596 on: June 23, 2019, 04:02:12 PM »

His campaign is over.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #597 on: June 23, 2019, 04:05:52 PM »

Beto has a chance to comeback simply because Pete is a moron
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #598 on: June 23, 2019, 05:23:53 PM »

Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #599 on: June 23, 2019, 05:47:16 PM »
« Edited: June 23, 2019, 05:57:40 PM by Lou Barletta's Teeth »

Don’t worry y’all! He’ll televise an apology three times: first in English, then in French, and finally, Italian! Then, he’s gonna SHRED Metallica on an electric guitar, and finally he’ll end it with a kiss for Chasten and the media will forgive him and go back to branding him as the lord and savior of the United States of America!

/s

Honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised if he actually became the frontrunner if he were to ever pull such a stunt, as described. The media and the Democratic electorate haven’t learned anything from 2016.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 74  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies