Pete Buttigieg 2020 campaign megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 04:25:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Pete Buttigieg 2020 campaign megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 74
Author Topic: Pete Buttigieg 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 137643 times)
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #400 on: April 30, 2019, 10:19:22 PM »

yiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiikes
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #401 on: April 30, 2019, 10:23:22 PM »

Does he not get that requiring vaccines is the only way to actually maintain herd immunity?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #402 on: April 30, 2019, 10:26:21 PM »

Jill Stein got called an anti-vaxxer for far less than this.
Thatkat04
« Reply #403 on: April 30, 2019, 10:31:13 PM »
« Edited: April 30, 2019, 10:34:28 PM by Thatkat04 »

Thats probably a safe answer. Although, I'm not sure I agree with it.

Edit: It would be nice if he'd stick his neck out on a position once in a while. The "mandatory vaccinations with some religious/medical exemptions" is the current status quo, and voters really dont seem to mind the status quo.
Thatkat04
« Reply #404 on: April 30, 2019, 10:37:51 PM »

People had issue with the Green parties platform including Homeopathy. I'm sure Stein was wrongly called out, but she was still the Green Party nominee.

Edit: Also, Buttigieg talking about keeping the status quo is not comparable to Stein raging against the "Vaccine Industry".
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #405 on: April 30, 2019, 10:39:26 PM »

People had issue with the Green parties platform including Homeopathy. I'm sure Stein was wrongly called out, but she was still the Green Party nominee.

Homeopathy is a different issue. Stein's vaccine position that got her labeled an anti vaxxer was that she wanted qualified health professionals to decide what was mandatory.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #406 on: April 30, 2019, 11:11:01 PM »

Edit: It would be nice if he'd stick his neck out on a position once in a while. The "mandatory vaccinations with some religious/medical exemptions" is the current status quo, and voters really dont seem to mind the status quo.

It's really not. There's a difference between your kid getting pain in their arm and your kid (and, through major candidates like Pete legitimizing anti-vax movement, my future kids)  ****ing dying.
Thatkat04
« Reply #407 on: April 30, 2019, 11:18:21 PM »

It's really not. There's a difference between your kid getting pain in their arm and your kid (and, through major candidates like Pete legitimizing anti-vax movement, my future kids)  ****ing dying.

No, I'm saying that most states(49 states) allow for medical/religious exemptions. i.e., the status quo. i,e., the supposed "safe" answer.

For what its worth, the only state that doesn't allow for exemptions based on religious grounds is California.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #408 on: May 01, 2019, 12:13:15 AM »

It's really not. There's a difference between your kid getting pain in their arm and your kid (and, through major candidates like Pete legitimizing anti-vax movement, my future kids)  ****ing dying.

No, I'm saying that most states(49 states) allow for medical/religious exemptions. i.e., the status quo. i,e., the supposed "safe" answer.

For what its worth, the only state that doesn't allow for exemptions based on religious grounds is California.

This isn't something you give a milquetoast, centrist, hand-wringing answer to. Literally every major candidate but O'Rourke has either come out for vaccines or outright fought against the anti-vax movement (in Kamala's case).

Beto's answer (back when he was running against Cruz) was a bunch of hand-wringing, milquetoast horsemess, but Buttigieg's rhetoric is just dangerous. Not only is it a false equivalence arguing to allow something that's there already, it also shows an egregious misconception of their purpose. Vaccines aren't something you hand out to stop a public crisis, you hand them out pre-emptively to stop a crisis before it happens at all.

Between this and his stances on criminal justice reform, he's my least favorite major Democrat running. Biden and Booker may be centrists, but at least they aren't spewing outright misinformed BS like Pete is.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #409 on: May 01, 2019, 12:27:31 AM »

The Fyre Festival candidate is coming apart at the seams.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #410 on: May 01, 2019, 12:28:23 AM »

Big Yikes.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #411 on: May 01, 2019, 01:26:14 AM »

His mistake was even engaging BuzzFeed on this when most of the other candidates didn't even elaborate their stance on exemptions. Harris was simple 'people should get vaccinated'.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #412 on: May 01, 2019, 03:48:56 AM »

This was probably just a dumb spokesperson. I think the Buttigieg campaign just needs better staffers, it's not suited for a national campaign right now. It's at least respectable that they responded clearly, while the other campaigns all went completely vague or just didn't respond, but the statement itself was stupid.

This position, anyway, is much more in sync with Pete's past statements on vaccinations:

https://twitter.com/ClaudiaKoerner/status/1123447999852576768
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #413 on: May 01, 2019, 09:55:59 AM »

fk jail, they should both be deported. But the bright side is that this means the right is scared of Pete...enough to risk shooting themselves in the foot over it.

You know, the ideal punishment for Wohl would be to drop him in Honduras without his U.S. passport or trust fund and see how he does.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #414 on: May 01, 2019, 02:24:51 PM »

This is why Jared Polis needs to be the first gay President, not Mayor Pete.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #415 on: May 01, 2019, 02:29:47 PM »

And when Jared Polis announces, out will come all the little controversies and skeletons from the past, he'll misspeak a few times, and there we'll go, searching for the next perfect candidate- on paper, at least...
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #416 on: May 01, 2019, 02:40:05 PM »

The Fyre Festival candidate is coming apart at the seams.

Apparently science isn't one of the 19 languages he speaks ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #417 on: May 01, 2019, 02:48:48 PM »

And when Jared Polis announces, out will come all the little controversies and skeletons from the past, he'll misspeak a few times, and there we'll go, searching for the next perfect candidate- on paper, at least...
We'd probably get anti-Semitic tropes in addition to the anti-gay ones (Polis is Jewish, both ethnically and religiously); however, he's been a Congressman for a decade and is now a Governor.  He's got a lot more policy chops (just look at his 2018 campaign for governor) and would have a much easier time deflecting from bullsh**t.  I'd also wager he'd give much deeper answers and wouldn't campaign as a flavor-of-the-month type.  Not to mention he's a pro-gun libertarian Democrat, which is right up my alley at the moment.

Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #418 on: May 01, 2019, 05:23:59 PM »

Just LOL

Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #419 on: May 01, 2019, 05:48:24 PM »

Apparently, he's backed away from these comments, but it's pretty mind-boggling that he made them in the first place.
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #420 on: May 01, 2019, 06:17:47 PM »

The original vaccines comment was a big misstep. But hey, at least he didn't double down. I get a lot of folks around here are looking for reasons to hate Pete, but this isn't one of them.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #421 on: May 01, 2019, 11:29:52 PM »

His mistake was even engaging BuzzFeed on this when most of the other candidates didn't even elaborate their stance on exemptions. Harris was simple 'people should get vaccinated'.

It's very strange she'd even give such a vague answer, considering she has a strong record actually fighting against anti-vaxxers as AG.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #422 on: May 01, 2019, 11:41:16 PM »

The original vaccines comment was a big misstep. But hey, at least he didn't double down. I get a lot of folks around here are looking for reasons to hate Pete, but this isn't one of them.

It was also a spokesperson making that comment. From past statements about vaccines, it's probably not Buttigieg's actual position.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #423 on: May 02, 2019, 03:46:01 AM »

If you go through two years of campainging without thinking the candiate you support makes the odd slip up the you’re a sycophant.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #424 on: May 02, 2019, 02:58:14 PM »

Vaccines could end up being a sleeper issue, especially if the Measles Epidemic keeps getting worse or if a disease such whooping cough or even polio reappears. Hillary absolutely should have gone after Trump harder on the Anti-Vaxx stuff in 2016.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 74  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies