Kamala Harris 2020 campaign megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 11:47:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Kamala Harris 2020 campaign megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 ... 77
Author Topic: Kamala Harris 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 127824 times)
Webnicz
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1050 on: June 26, 2019, 02:42:39 PM »

Looks like her campaign is headed in the right direction. I'm starting to see her open up more. She needs a great debate performance.  

I actually believe she had the best campaign rollout. The only issue is that she may have announced too early, and of course other candidates announced and stole air time from her, and the electorate is usually more focused on who the media talks about.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1051 on: June 26, 2019, 03:48:54 PM »

Great command ofundering the constituency of South Carolina voters. If Kamala continues to perform like last night she will be a tough contender to beat for the nomination.

Am I the only one who couldn't follow that word salad between 00:07 and 00:21?

You wouldn't be saying that if it was Bernie.

Lol, because this nationalist libertarian is definitely a huge Bernie fan. You know, you resort to whataboutisms whenever anyone breathes a word against Harris. That might work against the Atlas Berniecrats, but it's not going to work on me. How about defending her for once? Here's what she said, verbatim, as best as I could transcribe it:

"I come from a community where we were taught, 'Don't you hear no when they say it. Know where we are, and know, and see the vision, and be deep--" [inaudible-- "find strength?"] "-- in knowing that you can see what maybe others can't see, but you can help them get there.'"

One of us is having a stroke, and I'm pretty sure it's her.

I don't know... it's pretty clear. Are you sure you've had your hearing checked recently?

Actually, I haven't. Would you mind explaining it to my poor old wax-filled ears, since you obviously understand it?

Basically, she's saying don't give up on your goals and have courage to go through with them, even when others are staring you down and saying no.

Honestly, there're plenty of things about her worth the criticism, but the choice of words in this stump speech just isn't one of them.
Possiblymaybe
« Reply #1052 on: June 27, 2019, 08:05:22 AM »

Rolled out this yesterday with Katie Porter. It’s a reintroduction of a bill from 2017.
Sen. Kamala Harris (D-CA) and freshman Rep. Katie Porter (D-CA) are teaming up on legislation to hold banks and Wall Street executives accountable.

The bill, the Accountability for Wall Street Executives Act, would allow for state attorneys general and state law enforcement to conduct oversight of national banks regarding compliance with state law, including giving them the ability to issue subpoenas to examine bank records and interview bank executives.

The goal of the legislation is to deter the conditions that, experts say, led to the subprime mortgage crisis in the late aughts. And none of the major banks would be immune. Deutsche Bank, which is now under criminal investigation for possible money-laundering lapses including allegedly suspicious activities linked to entities tied to Donald Trump, would be subject to subpoenas if there was reason to believe that it too was not complying with state financial protection laws, according to a Harris aide.

“As a former attorney general, I know firsthand how vital it is for state law enforcement to have the tools needed to conduct thorough investigations in order to hold bad actors accountable,” Harris, a 2020 Democratic presidential candidate, said in a statement. “Congress must act to restore authority to state attorneys general to conduct oversight of national banks and ensure their compliance under state law. This bill will help put in place an additional layer of accountability for banks, which will protect consumers and prevent the type of illegal behavior that caused the Great Recession.”
The legislation seeks to amend a 2009 Supreme Court decision which determined that the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, a bureau within the Treasury Department, had exclusive rights to conduct oversight of federally chartered banks. It would enable state attorneys general to issue subpoenas for possible violations of real estate lending laws and ensure that federally-chartered banks comply with state financial protection laws in order to stave off the possibility of another subprime mortgage crisis.

Initially, the bill was introduced in the Senate in late 2017, but now it is bicameral and there are hopes that with Porter playing a prominent role in the House Committee on Financial Services, it can pass in the Democratic-controlled House of Representatives.

“No bank should be Too Big to Jail,” Porter said in a statement. “I’m proud to join Senator Harris in introducing this bill that will empower law enforcement in every state to investigate banks for compliance with their state laws.”

Senators Mazie Hirono (D-HI), Dianne Feinstein (D-CA), Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY), Jeff Merkley (D-OR), Richard Blumenthal (D-CT) and Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) are backing the bill as well.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/kamala-harris-and-katie-porter-intro-bill-to-take-on-big-banks-including-trumps
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1053 on: June 27, 2019, 03:05:20 PM »

I think Booker could easily do to Kamala what Pete did to Beto as in taking their support. He performed very well last night and is a great orator with a stronger connection to black voters whom Harris is counting on.
Da2017
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #1054 on: June 27, 2019, 03:15:13 PM »

I think Booker could easily do to Kamala what Pete did to Beto as in taking their support. He performed very well last night and is a great orator with a stronger connection to black voters whom Harris is counting on.

Booker has an authenticity problem. He needs to learn how to be himself.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1055 on: June 27, 2019, 04:03:40 PM »

I mean, he did fine, but I fail to see how he said or did anything substantial last night that would boost his poll standings...
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1056 on: June 27, 2019, 04:17:31 PM »

You weren't watching the same debate I did clearly. Big-Eyed Booker and the most awkward attempt at Spanish imaginable...makes my accent look good, and my history resembles Andrew Yang's more than Tim Kaine or Jeb! and how he dodged almost all the questions given.

And unless Harris really f&*ks up tonight, that performance in SC definitely gives her a lot of room to work with.
gf20202
« Reply #1057 on: June 27, 2019, 04:28:11 PM »

You weren't watching the same debate I did clearly. Big-Eyed Booker and the most awkward attempt at Spanish imaginable...makes my accent look good, and my history resembles Andrew Yang's more than Tim Kaine or Jeb! and how he dodged almost all the questions given.

And unless Harris really f&*ks up tonight, that performance in SC definitely gives her a lot of room to work with.

I thought Booker did fine yesterday, but what was his memorable moment? What's the clip getting played back endlessly? And my friends who aren't on politics forums, legit thought yesterday was an undercard debate. The second night will get more viewers and diminish the momentum of the first night no matter what.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1058 on: June 27, 2019, 09:36:04 PM »

QUEEN Purple heart

JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #1059 on: June 27, 2019, 10:09:13 PM »

She owned Biden good.
Senator Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #1060 on: June 27, 2019, 10:09:20 PM »

I called Harris to be the nominee in the past, just saying
Ilhan Apologist
Glowfish

« Reply #1061 on: June 27, 2019, 10:16:25 PM »

QUEEN Purple heart

And then Biden attacked Harris for being a former prosecutor. I found that whole exchange hilarious.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1062 on: June 27, 2019, 11:05:48 PM »

The Obama 2008 comparisons are laughable.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1063 on: June 27, 2019, 11:06:36 PM »

Not as laughable as your threats to stay home if she's the nominee.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1064 on: June 27, 2019, 11:07:53 PM »

What's the point if FL/PA/WI/IN/NC won't flip?
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1065 on: June 27, 2019, 11:14:24 PM »

Some polls had McCain leading Obama in MASSACHUSETTS in 2007. I don't trust them at this time. What I, including many others, saw in Harris tonight is a candidate who is fully capable of beating Trump. 
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1066 on: June 27, 2019, 11:16:03 PM »

An why wouldn’t they flip?
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1067 on: June 27, 2019, 11:20:44 PM »

Kamala has zero appeal to the White Working Class, and Trump's (as racist as it'll be) charismatic and aggressive following will eat her alive with enough independents pocketbook voting for Trump because of the good economy.
Possiblymaybe
« Reply #1068 on: June 27, 2019, 11:30:27 PM »

Completely dominated that stage tonight. Thought she might be good but she was way better than I expected.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1069 on: June 27, 2019, 11:46:04 PM »

Kamala has zero appeal to the White Working Class, and Trump's (as racist as it'll be) charismatic and aggressive following will eat her alive with enough independents pocketbook voting for Trump because of the good economy.

The economy isn't guaranteed to stay that way.

Also, you're forgetting that minority vote drop played a huge part in what happened in The Midwest too, just a little more out of Detroit and Milwaukee would've made the difference.
Possiblymaybe
« Reply #1070 on: June 27, 2019, 11:55:08 PM »

No one is at Obama 2008 level ( at least not yet) But Beto and Pete gets compared to everyone from JFK to Bill Clinton to Obama. She’s clearly just as talented as the Pete and Beto so I don’t see why it’s particularly laughable in relation to her. 
And it isn’t just Democrat who rate her, republicans strategists acknowledge her talent and for the record they are way more worried about her than warren (who they think will be trumps easiest opponent).
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1071 on: June 28, 2019, 12:06:40 AM »

No one is at Obama 2008 level ( at least not yet) But Beto and Pete gets compared to everyone from JFK to Bill Clinton to Obama. She’s clearly just as talented as the Pete and Beto so I don’t see why it’s particularly laughable in relation to her. 
And it isn’t just Democrat who rate her, republicans strategists acknowledge her talent and for the record they are way more worried about her than warren (who they think will be trumps easiest opponent).

I think Warren will do even worse than her - but I just don't see the benefit of her as the nominee.  As a party, we were having a great discourse about moving back to caring about those Midwest, Rust Belt states, and trying to earn the vote of the White Working Class.

And now, MSNBC and a bunch of politicos are going to shove Kamala down our throats - who ultimately resembles a corporate, establishment candidate with a closet full of skeletons.

It won't work.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #1072 on: June 28, 2019, 12:34:49 AM »

After that debate I'm honestly afraid (from a left perspective) Harris will be the nominee. She's a politician who can hit every note with the audience: competence, warmth, gravitas, humour, fire, personal story. Can see why Republican strategists don't want her to win.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1073 on: June 28, 2019, 12:47:57 AM »

Harris had an issue in Iowa and NH, hopefully, this helps her, at least in Cali
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #1074 on: June 28, 2019, 12:48:52 AM »

Obama didnt come off as a fraud. Kamala does. Not to mention Kamala won't do nearly as well with black voters. Obama is half-white and resonates with blacks way better than Kamala.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 ... 77  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies