Kamala Harris 2020 campaign megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 21, 2024, 01:06:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Kamala Harris 2020 campaign megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 ... 77
Author Topic: Kamala Harris 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 128659 times)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1125 on: June 30, 2019, 09:09:09 AM »

There are 0 Dem govs and 3 black senators. Jesse Jackson Jr was primed to run for Prez one day, if Blago appointed him, but FBI charged him. Mfume could have been Senator, Ben Cardin, who has been a disappointment,  beat him.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1126 on: June 30, 2019, 09:37:04 AM »

This!!!! #ExpandtheElectorate
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #1127 on: June 30, 2019, 04:29:43 PM »

Kamala Harris is Black. She is American citizen. She is of African descent.

She is not however a descendant of American slaves who came here 300 years ago. She is a descendant of recent immigrants who came here in living memory, one of whom wasn't even partially Black.

Her culture and ancestry are fundamentally different from the culture and ancestry of most African Americans.

It's a funny thing that the push for mass immigration and Affirmative Action started at the same time. This is not a coincidence.

When the government began to mandate diversity, most businesses did not want to hire American born Blacks, who were generally less educated. So they pushed the government to allow the elite of non-white countries to immigrate here so they could fill their diversity slots with them instead. Affirmative Action was thought up with African Americans in mind but most of the benefits went to Asian immigrants, the majority of whom came here in last 50 years and never experienced oppression from the US government.

Today the Democratic Party operates much the same way. They don't run members of America's historic Black population. They run the children of recent immigrants who were raised in Canada (Harris) or the children of foreign politicians (Obama).

This is going to go over many people's heads.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1128 on: June 30, 2019, 06:01:09 PM »

Possiblymaybe
« Reply #1129 on: June 30, 2019, 09:36:19 PM »

She is not however a descendant of American slaves who came here 300 years ago. She is a descendant of recent immigrants who came here in living memory, one of whom wasn't even partially Black.

Her culture and ancestry are fundamentally different from the culture and ancestry of most African Americans.

It's a funny thing that the push for mass immigration and Affirmative Action started at the same time. This is not a coincidence.

When the government began to mandate diversity, most businesses did not want to hire American born Blacks, who were generally less educated. So they pushed the government to allow the elite of non-white countries to immigrate here so they could fill their diversity slots with them instead. Affirmative Action was thought up with African Americans in mind but most of the benefits went to Asian immigrants, the majority of whom came here in last 50 years and never experienced oppression from the US government.

Today the Democratic Party operates much the same way. They don't run members of America's historic Black population. They run the children of recent immigrants who were raised in Canada (Harris) or the children of foreign politicians (Obama).

Not really. The post you quoted is full of inaccuracies.. She didn’t “grow up in Canada”... She lived in Oakland and Berkeley until she was 12 when her mother moved the family to Montreal because of work, where Harris attended high school.
In Berkeley the family lived in the flatlands on the west side which was a black neighbourhood at the time, while the hillside on the east was white. They attended baptist church and Harris later went  to Howard. Her parents were also involved in the civil rights movement.
https://www.sfchronicle.com/news/article/Kamala-Harris-rode-the-buses-that-integrated-14060240.php#photo-17774467
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1130 on: June 30, 2019, 09:52:32 PM »

Not really. The post you quoted is full of inaccuracies.. She didn’t “grow up in Canada”... She lived in Oakland and Berkeley until she was 12 when her mother moved the family to Montreal because of work, where Harris attended high school.
In Berkeley the family lived in the flatlands on the west side which was a black neighbourhood at the time, while the hillside on the east was white. They attended baptist church and Harris later went  to Howard. Her parents were also involved in the civil rights movement.
https://www.sfchronicle.com/news/article/Kamala-Harris-rode-the-buses-that-integrated-14060240.php#photo-17774467

It still is, it, West Oakland, Richmond, East Oakland, easily the largest share of the black population west of the Mississippi.

There's a reason Ron Dellums and Barbara Lee are the Congresspeople for the last 40 years, and not someone like Pelosi.

Oh but shhh, shhh, something something San Francisco values, something something useless degrees. Oh you can't go ruining their fun like that.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1131 on: June 30, 2019, 10:21:19 PM »

Harris didn't live in Oakland. She had lived two locations in Berkeley, once of which was indeed in west Berkeley in what is now a Montessori school. She had also lived on Milvia street, which isn't west Berkeley.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1132 on: June 30, 2019, 10:33:50 PM »

Harris didn't live in Oakland. She had lived two locations in Berkeley, once of which was indeed in west Berkeley in what is now a Montessori school. She had also lived on Milvia street, which isn't west Berkeley.

Agree to disagree, but depending on where on Milvia, it could be in South Berkeley, itself also the sort of area that was minority majority...at least until you get east of Telegraph.
Kamala's side hoe
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1133 on: June 30, 2019, 11:12:13 PM »

Can someone explain what's up with Harris's accent? It sure isn't Californian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMlrGte-RmM

Well for one thing she isn't white, and she spent her teenage years in Canada.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #1134 on: June 30, 2019, 11:16:27 PM »

You only addressed one part of what he said
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1135 on: June 30, 2019, 11:30:10 PM »

What accent? I don't hear any accent. Her father was Jamaican and I still don't hear any hint of that.
Kamala's side hoe
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1136 on: July 01, 2019, 01:00:38 AM »

What accent? I don't hear any accent. Her father was Jamaican and I still don't hear any hint of that.

Her mother (who she was actually mostly raised by) was from India, but you wouldn't be able to tell from the way she talks.

I don't think Kamala would realistically have picked up a stereotypical Cali accent in her childhood, since she 1) initially grew up in a black neighborhood, and 2) spent her teenage years in Canada
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #1137 on: July 01, 2019, 02:29:41 AM »

This is a good way to look at it. Disregard Kirk and just watch the video
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #1138 on: July 01, 2019, 03:15:16 AM »

The knowledge that Harris lived in Berkeley makes me like her less, to be truthful. After living in this town for a year I can honestly say that I wouldn't want anyone from such a degenerate cesspool to hold elected office at any level.
brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1139 on: July 01, 2019, 04:25:01 AM »

'Her ambition got it wrong about Joe': Harris faces debate backlash

One particular section that caught my eye:

One major Biden supporter from California who declined to be named for publication said Harris' direct attack on Biden was a mistake that would haunt her.

"It's going to bite her in the ass," the supporter noted. "Very early on there was buzz ... Biden-Kamala is the dream ticket, the best of both worlds."

After this week, "That sh**t ain't happening."

That's gotta be Feinstein, right?
Ilhan Apologist
Glowfish

« Reply #1140 on: July 01, 2019, 08:55:15 AM »
« Edited: July 01, 2019, 09:09:53 AM by Cultural Marxist »

'Her ambition got it wrong about Joe': Harris faces debate backlash

One particular section that caught my eye:

One major Biden supporter from California who declined to be named for publication said Harris' direct attack on Biden was a mistake that would haunt her.

"It's going to bite her in the ass," the supporter noted. "Very early on there was buzz ... Biden-Kamala is the dream ticket, the best of both worlds."

After this week, "That sh**t ain't happening."

That's gotta be Feinstein, right?

That's Biden's only CA endorsement. And wow, what an awful thing to say.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1141 on: July 01, 2019, 10:41:39 AM »

The knowledge that Harris lived in Berkeley makes me like her less, to be truthful. After living in this town for a year I can honestly say that I wouldn't want anyone from such a degenerate cesspool to hold elected office at any level.

“The knowledge that Harris blinks, eats, and sleeps makes me like her less.” Grow up.
Some of My Best Friends Are Gay
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #1142 on: July 01, 2019, 11:03:33 AM »

And I can honestly say that as a libertarian, your opinion of Kamala Harris is irrelevant.
Absolution9
Rookie

« Reply #1143 on: July 01, 2019, 11:16:40 AM »

Her mother (who she was actually mostly raised by) was from India, but you wouldn't be able to tell from the way she talks.

I don't think Kamala would realistically have picked up a stereotypical Cali accent in her childhood, since she 1) initially grew up in a black neighborhood, and 2) spent her teenage years in Canada

Did she actually grow up in a segregated black neighborhood?  Berkley is under 10% black and it only has one high school so everyone flows into it.  Her mom in a Berkley PhD biomedical researcher and her dad is an economics professor at Stanford.  Her mom's family was upper class to elite in India, mom's father was a senior diplomat.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1144 on: July 01, 2019, 11:28:08 AM »

Did she actually grow up in a segregated black neighborhood?  Berkley is under 10% black and it only has one high school so everyone flows into it.  Her mom in a Berkley PhD biomedical researcher and her dad is an economics professor at Stanford.  Her mom's family was upper class to elite in India, mom's father was a senior diplomat.

Berkeley was around 25% black in the 70s, and it had zoned high schools. They lived in a majority black area (that is still plurality black) on the southwest side of Berkeley.
Absolution9
Rookie

« Reply #1145 on: July 01, 2019, 12:46:30 PM »

Berkeley was around 25% black in the 70s, and it had zoned high schools. They lived in a majority black area (that is still plurality black) on the southwest side of Berkeley.

Really, wow, that’s crazy black out movement!  The overall population between the 1970 and 2010 census’ barely budged while the numbers of African Americans must have dropped by 60%.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #1146 on: July 01, 2019, 01:17:05 PM »

“The knowledge that Harris blinks, eats, and sleeps makes me like her less.” Grow up.

It was a joke, but then again you have absolutely no sense of humor when Harris is involved.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1147 on: July 01, 2019, 02:37:16 PM »

Challenge accepted.

Granted it'll take a good decade, since I should at least finish up this degree, and I ought to honor that degree for some time.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1148 on: July 01, 2019, 02:45:30 PM »

Really, wow, that’s crazy black out movement!  The overall population between the 1970 and 2010 census’ barely budged while the numbers of African Americans must have dropped by 60%.

That's gentrification for ya'.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1149 on: July 01, 2019, 03:01:02 PM »

Berkeley had only 1 HS and it was fully integrated. Not that it mattered to Harris, since she went to HS in Canada.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 ... 77  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies