Elizabeth Warren 2020 campaign megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 11:18:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Elizabeth Warren 2020 campaign megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 ... 79
Author Topic: Elizabeth Warren 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 133598 times)
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #950 on: September 01, 2019, 01:08:15 PM »

Will be interesting to see Warren raising money from Goldman & JP Morgan to fight Trump in the GE !

It’s so sad that she’d fund her campaign with corporate money.

She should be more #Populist❤️ and fund her campaign off the backs of gullible low income college students.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #951 on: September 01, 2019, 03:40:51 PM »

“I’m just going to be blunt,” she said on MSNBC in late February of this year. “I do not believe in unilateral disarmament. We got to go into these fights, and we gotta be willing to win these fights.” By rebuking “unilateral disarmament,” Warren means this: All options are on the table for funding her potential general election campaign against Trump. While she, like other Democratic candidates, have vowed to reject corporate and super PAC money during the primary, the general election is a different ballgame. To beat Trump, we have to play like Trump, she argues.

At a campaign event in Iowa, she said “I don’t believe democracy should be for sale to billionaires and giant corporations. I don’t take corporate PAC money. Shoot, I don’t take PAC money of any kind.” But if Warren is not willing to put our democracy up for sale during the primary, then what makes the general election any different? We are left to wonder whether Warren is just paying lip service to take on the billionaire class, which she apparently plans to cozy up to during the general election.

Ultimately, Warren is wrong when she suggests that rejecting corporate money during the general election constitutes “unilateral disarmament.” It is actually quite the opposite. Money does not win elections – people do. We need to look no further than to 2016, when Hillary outspent Trump and still lost.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/bernie-sanders-elizabeth-warren-campaign-funding-super-pac-money-corporate-donations-2020-election-a9084451.html

Will be interesting to see Warren raising money from Goldman & JP Morgan to fight Trump in the GE !

What type of dumbass who works at Goldman would donate to Warren?

I mean, I'm pretty sure most Warren/Sanders supporters would take a high paying position at Goldman Sachs if they were offered one, lol. It does not necessitate a change in ideology.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #952 on: September 01, 2019, 03:44:22 PM »

I'm not 100% sure how Warren should fund her GE campaign, but if she does need corporate money the real culprit would be America's broken campaign finance system-and Warren needs to get into office before she can change it (such as by nominating justices to the SC who would overturn Citizens United, while if Trump wins due to 'unilateral disarmament' he would get to appoint even more justices and Citizens United would be solidified).
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #953 on: September 01, 2019, 03:56:43 PM »

I mean, I'm pretty sure most Warren/Sanders supporters would take a high paying position at Goldman Sachs if they were offered one, lol. It does not necessitate a change in ideology.

Plus a lot of hires by these firms are young elite university grads living in big cities like New York. Many of them probably do support Warren and Sanders. Sure they’re not voting for what many may perceive to be their economic self interest but neither are Cletus and Jimbo.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #954 on: September 01, 2019, 03:58:39 PM »

FDR took money from the big banks and let them write legislation.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #955 on: September 01, 2019, 04:07:23 PM »

Plus a lot of hires by these firms are young elite university grads living in big cities like New York. Many of them probably do support Warren and Sanders. Sure they’re not voting for what many may perceive to be their economic self interest but neither are Cletus and Jimbo.

Only because Dems are SJWs who hate the "WWC" and play identity politix. If only they embraced #populism Purple heart and "kitchen table issues" then Appalachia would be back to voting straight ticket D in the blink of an eye! Just look at my sig for proof. Smiley
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #956 on: September 01, 2019, 06:16:33 PM »

If she wins the nomination you're going to see corporations try and bury Warren with negative campaigns and money like they've never spent before, that's one thing I worry about.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #957 on: September 03, 2019, 10:36:13 AM »

Poll came out due to Biden not feeling up to job, Warren 4points behind Biden
I think Joe Kennedy, despite Warren endorsement of Markey will win the Senate race
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #958 on: September 03, 2019, 06:30:35 PM »

I think a more important point (rather than something nebulous like living in New York) is that a lot with the requisite skills begin their careers at Goldman (or Goldman-type places) because it's a way to rack up a lot of money to pay off their gargantuan loans. This is going to be especially true for a smart, upper middle class college grad who went to an elite school but didn't have the funds to pay for it out of pocket. I know several of these people and they're rabid Berniecrats/Warr boys.
dunceDude
United States

« Reply #959 on: September 04, 2019, 10:40:50 AM »

I'm starting to firmly believe that if Warren can survive this primary, she's going to win the general election. Everything about her message (which she is INCREDIBLY good at sticking to) foils Trump in ways Hillary was never able to.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #960 on: September 04, 2019, 03:32:45 PM »

I'm starting to firmly believe that if Warren can survive this primary, she's going to win the general election. Everything about her message (which she is INCREDIBLY good at sticking to) foils Trump in ways Hillary was never able to.

Hope so.
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #961 on: September 05, 2019, 09:43:13 AM »

I was listening to Pod Save America a couple of weeks ago and they made a great point about Liz's "electability issue": she has all these plans, asks that you trust her on these plans, now she's asking that you trust her when she says she will beat Trump in the general. I trust her.
jacobmeteorite
jafcontact
Rookie
United States

« Reply #962 on: September 05, 2019, 09:54:11 AM »
« Edited: September 05, 2019, 10:38:16 AM by jacobmeteorite »

She slayed that Townhall.

People trust her ability to fundamentally understand the core of a large issue, and explain it in a way where everybody can visualize a solution. And her solution involves trusting her to enact anti-corruption legislation and push for bold reform. That "we need big, structural change" line is BRILLIANT because it truly encapsulates everything that she's about.

And the reason she was able to take so much from Jay Inslee's plan is because she's not beholden to any special interest group, so she can unapologetically and emphatically proclaim bold positions without the BS of trying to not step on any toes (cough cough Biden, Kamala, Pete etc etc)

I still view Bernie as EW's strongest rival, because his support is as fervent as Trump's, but what's so brilliant is that Bernie doesn't make EW break a single sweat. She sticks to her own ideas, and makes the case that she can coalesce Hillary and Bernie supporters (except the mouth breathing crusty smelling Bernie Bros lol) AND independents. Her policies, especially the 2 cent wealth tax, poll REALLY WELL with Independents and a surprising number of Republicans.

She's got this.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #963 on: September 07, 2019, 08:48:35 AM »

Bye-bye to any hopes of Dems flipping the Sunbelt if she's the nominee.  And doubly bye-bye to any hopes of Senators McBath, Tomlinson, and Hegar.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #964 on: September 07, 2019, 09:39:32 AM »

Bye-bye to any hopes of Dems flipping the Sunbelt if she's the nominee.  And doubly bye-bye to any hopes of Senators McBath, Tomlinson, and Hegar.

Why would this position be toxic in Georgia?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #965 on: September 07, 2019, 10:30:10 AM »

There are no economically viable natural gas reserves in Georgia, and effectively zero in North Carolina. The (GOP-controlled) House in Georgia passed an anti-drilling resolution this session, while Cooper's efforts to block offshore drilling off the NC coast have been widely popular. Floridians are, of course, militantly anti-drilling. There's no pro-drilling, pro-fracking constituency in Colorado, or Arizona, or Nevada. Why would you say "the Sunbelt" when you mean "Texas"?
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #966 on: September 07, 2019, 10:39:14 AM »

Because bougie suburbanites in Atlanta might be shifting left, but not this left.  And Southern suburbs are still more conservative than Northern suburbs.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #967 on: September 07, 2019, 10:47:29 AM »

Bye-bye to any hopes of Dems flipping the Sunbelt if she's the nominee.  And doubly bye-bye to any hopes of Senators McBath, Tomlinson, and Hegar.

Because bougie suburbanites in Atlanta might be shifting left, but not this left.  And Southern suburbs are still more conservative than Northern suburbs.

I highly doubt that banning offshore drilling and/or fracking will be seen as "far left" by anyone who isn't already going to vote Trump over any R anyway. Especially not the former, since offshore drilling is incredibly unpopular as sjoyce has mentioned.

In fact, running against offshore drilling has helped Democrats win elections in Deep South. Joe Cunningham won a Trump +13 suburban seat running against offshore drilling.
Gracile
gracile
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #968 on: September 07, 2019, 10:48:52 AM »
« Edited: September 07, 2019, 10:52:16 AM by gracile »

There are no economically viable natural gas reserves in Georgia, and effectively zero in North Carolina. The (GOP-controlled) House in Georgia passed an anti-drilling resolution this session, while Cooper's efforts to block offshore drilling off the NC coast have been widely popular. Floridians are, of course, militantly anti-drilling. There's no pro-drilling, pro-fracking constituency in Colorado, or Arizona, or Nevada. Why would you say "the Sunbelt" when you mean "Texas"?

Don't forget about Rep. Joe Cunningham, who won a suburban district in South Carolina in part because of his opposition to offshore drilling (many people believe it was one of the key factors that played a role in his upset win).
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #969 on: September 07, 2019, 10:54:14 AM »

There's no pro-drilling, pro-fracking constituency in Colorado

Yes there is. Greeley and lots of eastern Weld County is pro-drilling. There's also some pretty high support for drilling in the south-southeast part of the state like in Las Animas County, Huerfanos, etc. As far as places that aren't full of swing voters drilling and fracking are immensely popular in Eastern Colorado. There aren't enough people pro-drill/pro-frack people in the state to swing it to Trump but acting like it isn't there is false.

Dems Passed A Law To Help Counties Tighten Drilling Rules. Weld Wants To Use It To Make Drilling Easier (June 2019)

Colorado Drillers Pumping Record Oil, More On The Way (Feb 2018)
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #970 on: September 07, 2019, 02:20:16 PM »

There aren't enough people pro-drill/pro-frack people in the state to swing it to Trump
Deleted the irrelevant stuff, don't be pedantic
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #971 on: September 07, 2019, 02:53:17 PM »
« Edited: September 07, 2019, 02:58:52 PM by WARR BOY »

There aren't enough people pro-drill/pro-frack people in the state to swing it to Trump

Didn't you say you only post about states where you know what you're talking about and can sincerely add to the conversation? lmao take the L in stride my friend
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #972 on: September 07, 2019, 03:57:31 PM »

Didn't you say you only post about states where you know what you're talking about and can sincerely add to the conversation? lmao take the L in stride my friend
you edited your post because you fear me
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #973 on: September 07, 2019, 04:00:43 PM »

Regardless, this position wouldn't play well in certain swing states either, given that many displaced coal miners have taken on fracking jobs.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #974 on: September 07, 2019, 04:03:23 PM »

Because bougie suburbanites in Atlanta might be shifting left, but not this left.  And Southern suburbs are still more conservative than Northern suburbs.

I agree that Warren has positions that are too far left for southern suburbs, but I don't see how this is a good example.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies