Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 03:50:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 112 113 114 [115] 116 117 118 119 120 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 362574 times)
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2850 on: June 22, 2020, 09:48:49 AM »

The Knights of Columbus is just another reason for Biden to avoid Harris, it is not worth all the cultural traps she will walk directly into.

People here who think she is getting picked also don't know anything. How do we know Biden didn't meet with Demings and was swept away by her? His team isn't leaking anything for a reason.
Nobody cares about this. I have literally never heard anyone talk about it in real life.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2851 on: June 22, 2020, 10:00:47 AM »

Biden's VP pick obviously won't change my support, but it would certainly suck to lose a lot of the center right support Biden has earned, particularly among seniors. I think Duckworth is really the obvious pick right now and I implore Biden's team to pick her instead of somebody with favorables similar to Hillary's (33/42 last I saw). Do you really think Duckworth, a double amputee and war hero, is going to have negative favorables?
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #2852 on: June 22, 2020, 10:10:46 AM »

Biden's VP pick obviously won't change my support, but it would certainly suck to lose a lot of the center right support Biden has earned, particularly among seniors. I think Duckworth is really the obvious pick right now and I implore Biden's team to pick her instead of somebody with favorables similar to Hillary's (33/42 last I saw). Do you really think Duckworth, a double amputee and war hero, is going to have negative favorables?

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/kamala_harris_favorableunfavorable-6690.html

Yep.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2853 on: June 22, 2020, 10:53:47 AM »

New New York Times article on how seriously each of the 12 contenders are being considered and their priorities/relationship with Biden.

https://www.nytimes.com/article/biden-vice-president-2020.html#click=https://t.co/PiBRDBHsVi

They break down the candidates into being considered "Very Seriously", "Pretty Seriously", "Somewhat Seriously", and "Not too seriously".

Very Seriously

Harris
Warren
Demings
Lance Bottoms
Rice

Pretty Seriously

Lujan Grisham
Duckworth ( Sad )

Somewhat Seriously

Whitmer
Baldwin

Not too Seriously

Abrams
Raimondo
Hassan
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #2854 on: June 22, 2020, 10:56:57 AM »

Imagine saying a year ago that Stacey Abrams' prospects of being chosen as VP would be about equal to Gina Raimondo's.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #2855 on: June 22, 2020, 11:01:59 AM »
« Edited: June 22, 2020, 11:06:54 AM by Make PA Blue Again! »

Speaking as someone who was raised in a very catholic family, the K of C is an objectively bad organization and there was absolutely nothing wrong with Kamala questioning Buescheler on it. Saying she hates catholics is a MAJOR stretch and reeks of desperation from the anti-Kamala front on Atlas.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/kamala_harris_favorableunfavorable-6690.html

Yep.

Again, I think you all are seriously overestimating just how much impact this VP pick is going to have on the race. Sure, there's the question on Biden's age, but I seriously doubt anybody really questions whether Harris is capable of taking up the reins of the presidency at any given time.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2856 on: June 22, 2020, 11:27:20 AM »

Speaking as someone who was raised in a very catholic family, the K of C is an objectively bad organization and there was absolutely nothing wrong with Kamala questioning Buescheler on it. Saying she hates catholics is a MAJOR stretch and reeks of desperation from the anti-Kamala front on Atlas.

Yep.

Again, I think you all are seriously overestimating just how much impact this VP pick is going to have on the race. Sure, there's the question on Biden's age, but I seriously doubt anybody really questions whether Harris is capable of taking up the reins of the presidency at any given time.

I hear you but I just wonder if its worth Biden getting a smaller margin of victory to appease a certain wing of the Democratic Party. His older voter support is really not a trivial matter and having 53 Senators vs 50 can be a very big deal.
Da2017
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #2857 on: June 22, 2020, 12:07:51 PM »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-us-canada-53088353  good article
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #2858 on: June 22, 2020, 12:20:28 PM »

They really should've refrained from doing these power rankings because it's just a joke. Harris is way too high on, like, everything (and it's not that I dislike her). Why is "special power: obviousness" stronger than "special power: timing"? Why is Harris more experienced than Duckworth (who was a veteran, worked in the VA, a Congresswoman and a Senator)? How is Demings' "voter appeal" higher than Duckworth and as high as Michelle Obama? Now is Grisham just 3 in experience, being a State Secretary of Health, Congresswoman and Governor? Ditto for Baldwin? Anyway, lol.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #2859 on: June 22, 2020, 12:20:53 PM »

I wonder if Warren being in the veepstakes makes it more likely she'll be offered Treasury.

There is no chance she gives up her Senate seat unless she's going for VP. I also don't feel like Biden would offer her that post.

I dunno.  The position may not get as much media coverage, but with the President's backing a talented Treasury Secretary can get a lot more done than a single Senator can, even one who commands the limelight.  Treasury is a powerful department.  Plus, there's gotta be something appealing about being America's first female Treasury Secretary.

I'd be inclined to say that Warren doesn't get it but I think she'll be a kingmaker of sorts in terms of whom Biden picks for Treasury. Richard Cordray is my bet on who gets it due to his Warren ties plus the optics of being the former head of the CFPB.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2860 on: June 22, 2020, 12:24:47 PM »

I wonder if Warren being in the veepstakes makes it more likely she'll be offered Treasury.

There is no chance she gives up her Senate seat unless she's going for VP. I also don't feel like Biden would offer her that post.

Because of course, no Republican could ever hope to win a special election for a Senate seat in Massachusetts.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #2861 on: June 22, 2020, 12:40:07 PM »

My VP rankings:

1. Harris
2. KLB
3. Warren
4. Duckworth

That's it.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #2862 on: June 22, 2020, 12:40:48 PM »

I don't understand why it is seen as misogynistic to be critical of blatant nepotism.

Harris was appointed to he first political positions by Willie Brown while they were dating.

This is clearly not appropriate.  

I don't actually think it is very relevant to Harris's competence or qualifications given what she has accomplished since then.  

But it does seem corrupt to me.  It is much more of an indictment of Brown's ethics, as he was the one in position of power here.  But it also does not reflect well on Harris.

It is perfectly possible that Harris would be in the same position now if she wasn't appointed to these positions.  But why not choose one of the many other women who have proven success completely independent from their dating life?  And more importantly, why not choose someone with no record of willingness to accepting these sort of favors?
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2863 on: June 22, 2020, 12:43:55 PM »

Because of course, no Republican could ever hope to win a special election for a Senate seat in Massachusetts.

With the exception of Charlie Baker, this is now true. You may as well consider the possibility of a Republican winning a special election in CA.
Da2017
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #2864 on: June 22, 2020, 12:49:30 PM »
« Edited: June 22, 2020, 12:57:51 PM by Da2017 »

They really should've refrained from doing these power rankings because it's just a joke. Harris is way too high on, like, everything (and it's not that I dislike her). Why is "special power: obviousness" stronger than "special power: timing"? Why is Harris more experienced than Duckworth (who was a veteran, worked in the VA, a Congresswoman and a Senator)? How is Demings' "voter appeal" higher than Duckworth and as high as Michelle Obama? Now is Grisham just 3 in experience, being a State Secretary of Health, Congresswoman and Governor? Ditto for Baldwin? Anyway, lol.

I don't think Michelle Obama would accept.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #2865 on: June 22, 2020, 01:07:10 PM »

I dunno.  The position may not get as much media coverage, but with the President's backing a talented Treasury Secretary can get a lot more done than a single Senator can, even one who commands the limelight.  Treasury is a powerful department.  Plus, there's gotta be something appealing about being America's first female Treasury Secretary.

I'd be inclined to say that Warren doesn't get it but I think she'll be a kingmaker of sorts in terms of whom Biden picks for Treasury. Richard Cordray is my bet on who gets it due to his Warren ties plus the optics of being the former head of the CFPB.

I hadn't considered Cordray, but he would be an excellent choice for the job.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #2866 on: June 22, 2020, 01:18:05 PM »

Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2867 on: June 22, 2020, 01:21:08 PM »

Name recognition polls are meaningless! Of course Demings  Whitmer and Duckworth won't be popular because they are not well known.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #2868 on: June 22, 2020, 01:23:31 PM »

Can we just agree to a blanket moratorium on VP polls? They reflect nothing but name recognition. Nothing at all.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2869 on: June 22, 2020, 01:30:08 PM »

I'll just put it out there, but out of those on the shortlist, my favorite is Duckworth.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2870 on: June 22, 2020, 02:12:42 PM »

I would love Duckworth to be it. So Susana Mendoza would move into that seat, but its Warren and new AG Klobuchar, and SOS Stacy Abrams.😍😍😍

Its Kennedy and Pressley for MA seat
Meatball Ron
recoveringdemocrat

« Reply #2871 on: June 22, 2020, 02:22:32 PM »

I would love Duckworth to be it. So Susana Mendoza would move into that seat, but its Warren and new AG Klobuchar, and SOS Stacy Abrams.😍😍😍

Secretary of State Stacey Abrams? Huh? She's great, but a foreign policy position is the last thing she's qualified for given her state legislative experience.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2872 on: June 22, 2020, 02:29:56 PM »

With OC's backing, Duckworth all but locks up the VP slot!
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2873 on: June 22, 2020, 03:02:37 PM »

Again, Demings and Duckworth have been nowhere on recent conversation on COVID, the protests etc. One thing very much working in Harris's favor is that she's been out there, a part of the conversation, drafting bills.

Duckworth is so low key, but has no experience on the national stage. Don't understand why she would be a worthwhile pick. There's no vetting, and we have no idea what's in her closet.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2874 on: June 22, 2020, 03:07:43 PM »

She has a lot of skeletons in her closet. Only was a war hero who sacrificed her body for this country. I’ll take the chance her problems are less than Kamalas.
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 112 113 114 [115] 116 117 118 119 120 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies