Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 11:32:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 365202 times)
DaWN
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #850 on: April 23, 2020, 07:32:48 AM »

Its gonna be Liz Warren, the smart choice and Biden said he would pick someone with experience and someone he shared the debate stage with, and Liz Warren has Foreign policy knowledge

Explain this logic to me. Biden knows if he’s President he’s only going to be in office for one term, so he has to act quickly on anything he wants to get done (although frankly getting Trump out is almost as big as any policy goal)so for him to be able to act quick and decisively on his agenda he needs control of both houses of Congress including the senate - and gaining control of the senate is a pretty tedious thing for the Dems (needing to flip 4 seats). So why would Biden risk the fate of his agenda & risk being able to appoint SCOTUS judges by selecting a VP that would allow a Republican to pick the replacement?

Because even if the MA legislature don't change the law to prevent Baker from choosing the replacement, the special election to replace Warren would be Safe D and so said appointed Republican (who would probably be similar to Baker in being a "Republican" anyway) would only be in office for a few months? Hardly rocket science.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #851 on: April 23, 2020, 07:54:29 AM »

Its gonna be Liz Warren, the smart choice and Biden said he would pick someone with experience and someone he shared the debate stage with, and Liz Warren has Foreign policy knowledge

Explain this logic to me. Biden knows if he’s President he’s only going to be in office for one term, so he has to act quickly on anything he wants to get done (although frankly getting Trump out is almost as big as any policy goal)so for him to be able to act quick and decisively on his agenda he needs control of both houses of Congress including the senate - and gaining control of the senate is a pretty tedious thing for the Dems (needing to flip 4 seats). So why would Biden risk the fate of his agenda & risk being able to appoint SCOTUS judges by selecting a VP that would allow a Republican to pick the replacement?

If Warren resigns the Senate before November, they can have a special election whose winner can be seated in January.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #852 on: April 23, 2020, 11:37:07 AM »

You guys are responding to a very obvious troll.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #853 on: April 23, 2020, 11:38:39 AM »

Whitmer:

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/494294-michigan-gov-whitmer-on-possible-vp-job-ill-support-biden-any-way-that-i

Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer (D) said on Thursday that she is willing to support presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden's White House bid in any way when asked if about possibly serving as his running mate.

"I think Joe Biden would be a phenomenal president. I am a big fan of his. I am a big supporter of his, and I'm going to support him in any way that I think will be helpful,"  Whitmer told CNN. 

"I'll be very frank with you, the job I want is the one that I have," the governor said. "I worked for two years to become the governor of the state of Michigan, and while it's been challenging and there have been some tough days, there's no place I'd rather be than right here in my home state, making decisions that are saving people's lives. It's the honor of my lifetime to be here."
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #854 on: April 23, 2020, 11:46:01 AM »

Biden should go bold and pick Lauren Underwood or Val Demings for VP.  Kamala can be AG.

Lauren Underwood is much more likable than Stacey Abrams. 
Catholics vs. Convicts
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #855 on: April 23, 2020, 12:01:41 PM »

Biden should go bold and pick Lauren Underwood or Val Demings for VP.  Kamala can be AG.

I agree with you that Underwood is much more likable, but its tough to say she has any more experience than Abrams, which is of course the biggest criticism of Abrams.

Oh yeah. And then that whole thing where Underwood would only be 34 on Inauguration Day...
Illini Moderate
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -4.00

« Reply #856 on: April 23, 2020, 12:06:44 PM »

I think it would be fine for Biden to pick later. First, he needs to vet them extremely well. That takes time. Second, Trump is doing just fine right now pushing voters to Biden. Once this starts to slowly ease up around late June or July, announcing his VP pick would give him another boost of momentum. He can't play all his cards right off the bat.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #857 on: April 23, 2020, 03:33:40 PM »

Val Demings is one of my favorite House members and would be a good pick, but has little experience in congress. Having been there just since 2017. Laureen Underwood is 33 years and therefore ineligible to run for and serve as vice president. Also has not much experience. Joe Biden's number two needs to be ready to be president from Day 1.

Kamala should stay in the senate if not picked as his running mate. Attorney General should be saved for Doug Jones. He would be an A+ choice who can clean up the mess of Trump lapdog Barr and restore integrity to the Justice Department, which is deeply needed.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #858 on: April 23, 2020, 04:07:19 PM »

Warren is the perfect candidate to replicate to 279 EC map. The Dems arent gonna win the South anyways, so an African American candidate wouldnt carry GA, and Val Demings and Stacy Abrams have no foreign policy interests.  Warren will be the perfect fit and A.Pressley will be the third African American in the Senate
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.71, S: -4.00

« Reply #859 on: April 23, 2020, 04:26:34 PM »

The correct choice is Duckworth and it's obvious.
Gracile
gracile
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #860 on: April 23, 2020, 04:35:37 PM »

It seems like Duckworth has largely been out of the VP conversation; I get the sense that she might not be interested.
hurricanehink
United States

« Reply #861 on: April 23, 2020, 05:14:22 PM »

It seems like Duckworth has largely been out of the VP conversation; I get the sense that she might not be interested.

She is a young mom after all.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #862 on: April 23, 2020, 05:16:44 PM »

The three choices were: Harris, Klobuchar and Warren and the Senate needs more diversity and Kennedy and Pressley wants Warren's seat.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #863 on: April 23, 2020, 05:54:52 PM »

Did Kamala Harris ever answer for the Mnuchin business while she was in the primaries?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #864 on: April 23, 2020, 06:30:00 PM »

Did Kamala Harris ever answer for the Mnuchin business while she was in the primaries?

I don't think so, but can we really expect Trump to try and grill his opponent's running mate on something that also reflects negatively on a member of his Cabinet?
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #865 on: April 23, 2020, 07:19:52 PM »

Um, there’s nothing to answer for:

The fact is that Mnuchin- the CEO of OneWest, didn’t have evidence against him for a criminal indictment. There were some *civil* claims potentially recommended against him in a grand total of only 8 cases. Only 8. So, not the “thousands” that these hack writers are trying to claim. Eight. And those eight cases were looked into by Harris’ team of prosecutors for months. Winning them (again, only in civil court, not criminal charges), rested on some untested legal theories and potential major jurisdictional issues. In the end, the AG office has limited resources and decided those resources were better spent on bigger cases affecting more people and criminal charges. In other words, it’s a blatant propaganda lie that she “didn’t indict Mnuchin”:

She also authored the ENTIRE ing CA Homeowner’s Bill of Rights, making the dual tracking practice illegal, which was how OneWest (SteveMnuchin) was cheating homeowners in the first place:

https://medium.com/@kimbocoffin/the-story-behind-the-story-of-kamala-harris-and-steve-mnuchin-f58f64a5ec7f
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #866 on: April 23, 2020, 10:35:10 PM »

Whitmer says the Biden campaign hasn't contacted her about being vetted yet, but that she would give them whatever they ask for as part of a potential vet:

link

Whitmer, who is believed to a vice presidential contender, told AP she has not been asked by presumptive Democratic nominee Joe Biden to participate in any vetting for the role.

“Of course I would give whatever they’ve asked for,” she said. “But I’m not auditioning for any different job than the one that I have right now.”
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.71, S: -4.00

« Reply #867 on: April 23, 2020, 11:52:24 PM »

She is a young mom after all.

Instant bump for Biden with suburban women.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #868 on: April 24, 2020, 12:26:20 AM »

Whitmer is a better choice. The 5 biggest states are MI PA WI AZ FL. The first three are midwestern, a place of obvious appeal and the latter two have a ton of midwestern transplants. Biden can knock down all pins with one ball if done right.

Agreed
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #869 on: April 24, 2020, 05:28:10 AM »

Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #870 on: April 24, 2020, 09:23:33 AM »

The opposite would be more of a surprise. I'm hopeful and optimistic she will be the VP nominee.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #871 on: April 24, 2020, 09:32:08 AM »

That seems like a bit of a reach.  She's basically implying that she thinks she's "being considered" by the Biden campaign, but everyone assumes that Harris is being considered by the Biden campaign.  That doesn't mean that she has any inside info on this, or that the formal vetting that requires participation from the candidates has begun.
BlueGrassKentuckian
Rookie

« Reply #872 on: April 24, 2020, 09:37:05 AM »

Would Val Demings or Kamala Harris be a better pick? Demings is a bit older but is from the key state of Florida. If Biden captures Florida, Trump has no possible path to victory in the electoral college. 

2008: Obama +236,000
2012: Obama: +75,000
2016: Trump: +113,000

Its a possible flip if Biden came run up the numbers with African Americans and in the urban areas, and increase his % with whites, hispanics and 65+
SInNYC

« Reply #873 on: April 24, 2020, 09:46:04 AM »

I don't think so, but can we really expect Trump to try and grill his opponent's running mate on something that also reflects negatively on a member of his Cabinet?

Trump can be self-inconsistent in every way possible. Not only can he, but he does, sometimes in the same day. And if questioned about it he will just deny it and/or call the questioner a nasty person.

His supporters dont seem to mind.

Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #874 on: April 24, 2020, 09:47:45 AM »

Pressure has been growing on Mr. Biden to choose a black woman to inspire black turnout this fall and not take it for granted. The Rev. Al Sharpton, for instance, who speaks to Mr. Biden regularly, is to announce his support for Ms. Abrams as vice president as soon as next week, according to those familiar with his plans.

Speaker Nancy Pelosi has encouraged allies to float names of House members like Representatives Val Demings of Florida and Marcia Fudge of Ohio, according to people familiar with those conversations, in part to reward members of her caucus with a higher profile.

Several leaders in the Congressional Black Caucus, an organization steeped in tradition, have preferred Ms. Harris, who is a member.

A recent comment from Mr. Clyburn publicly undercut Ms. Abrams in favor of Ms. Bottoms. Mr. Clyburn, who declined an interview request for this article, said Ms. Abrams lacked sufficient experience.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/24/us/politics/joe-biden-vice-president-black-candidates.html
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies