Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 09:05:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 360937 times)
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #700 on: April 18, 2020, 03:19:32 AM »

Can I get an invite to Bidencord?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #701 on: April 18, 2020, 03:34:11 AM »

I can see Biden picking Warren, unlike Harris who diesnt want it, or Abrams whom is inferior on foreign policy. Warren said she wanted Veep, and she rather serve outside of Senate
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #702 on: April 18, 2020, 03:43:03 AM »

I doubt some random guy on Twitter is a credible source. There isn't even a full vice presidential vetting team in place. Anyway, Liz would be a bad pick. She's too controversial among the general electorate. I'm afraid the few additional left-wing voters she brings in might not be enough to compensate suburbanites and moderate Republicans who are willing to vote Democratic. She's even not that popular among the Bernie crowd. And she does not add any diversity to the ticket other than being a woman.

Furthermore, she's not someone younger who can lead the party in a post-Biden world. Unlike he has already decided to run for reelection and with it eliminate Warren's path to the presidency.

He should pick Kamala Harris, CCM or Amy Klobuchar. The latter might be the best in helping to govern, while Kamala and CCM would be more exciting on the campaign trail. All three are old enough for experience, but can still run after one or two terms of Joe Biden.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #703 on: April 18, 2020, 03:54:42 AM »
« Edited: April 18, 2020, 04:00:25 AM by Cory Booker »

I disagree, Dems are connecting with Warren candidates, it's no accident that Barb Bollier and Gov Kelly whom are Warren candidates are winning in blue KS. We also need Pressler and Joe Kennedy in the Senate. Also, the Rs cant complain, Pence and Trump are in the Senior age group as Biden and Warren, it's a good pick.
annecortez
Rookie
« Reply #704 on: April 18, 2020, 05:59:52 AM »

This is really a surprise for me!
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #705 on: April 18, 2020, 06:00:57 AM »

Harris already said she didnt want to be Veep
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #706 on: April 18, 2020, 07:55:38 AM »

I will knock on every god damn door in Pennsylvania as soon as the quarantine is lifted if Warren is the pick.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #707 on: April 18, 2020, 08:04:08 AM »

Warren will not be VP. Once again, I don't think people realize how, whether it's right or wrong, polarizing she is to many people, especially to the moderates that Biden needs.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #708 on: April 18, 2020, 08:07:00 AM »

Warren will not be VP. Once again, I don't think people realize how, whether it's right or wrong, polarizing she is to many people, especially to the moderates that Biden needs.

They already said on MSNBC she will be the pick. Whitmer is only a 2 yr Gov, she loves her job, Abrams is inexperienced and Harris wanted to Prez, not Veep. Also, Pressler, a Black female, would add diversity to the Senate

Warren is Veepstakes
indietraveler

« Reply #709 on: April 18, 2020, 08:15:44 AM »

Yes let's listen to some random on twitter who's tweets for the last week just seem to be his own random string of thoughts on who the VP will be.
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #710 on: April 18, 2020, 08:18:08 AM »

I disagree, Dems are connecting with Warren candidates, it's no accident that Barb Bollier and Gov Kelly whom are Warren candidates are winning in blue KS. We also need Pressler and Joe Kennedy in the Senate. Also, the Rs cant complain, Pence and Trump are in the Senior age group as Biden and Warren, it's a good pick.

Pressley, not Pressler.
Roblox

« Reply #711 on: April 18, 2020, 08:20:28 AM »

Some of my sources are telling me that the top VP pick for Biden at the moment is Carole Baskin.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #712 on: April 18, 2020, 08:27:28 AM »

I was arguing for Hillary to pick Warren as her VP and still to this day believe that this would have won her the election. If Uncle Joe and Liz can work out their obvious differences then I am all in for this pick. Warren is a formidable force, she really is. The main downside to this is that I also want her in the senate. Also, if Warren is the pick, only the most divisive of the Bros will skip this one, and they would never ever vote for Biden anyway. I guess Kyle Kulinski would even vote for a Biden/Warren ticket, although Krystal Ball obviously wouldn't as she quite clearly wants Trump to win.

Also, a Biden/Warren ticket could very well make freakin' Elizabeth Warren president of the USA. How awesome would that be? Seriously. I never supported Warren during the primaries, but the sole reason for not doing that was that I believed that she would lose to Trump. I still think she would lose to Trump as the top-of-the-ticket candidate, but as VP she'd be very strong. She'd tear Mike Pence to pieces in a historic fashion.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #713 on: April 18, 2020, 09:03:37 AM »

Some of my sources are telling me that the top VP pick for Biden at the moment is Carole Baskin.

That wont be the pick he said he will pick a female he shared the debate stage with already
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #714 on: April 18, 2020, 09:23:09 AM »

I think that a Biden/Warren ticket has all the downsides of the Warren campaign (the constant focus on the Native American thing, rehashing of ideological battles) but with none of the upsides (the concrete promises of real change).

Anyway I get the feeling that Warren wouldn't want to be VP (unless she thought for sure Joe won't make it through his term, which is a morbid thought but might be out there). I think she'd probably want some meaningful position like Treasury, or maybe just to remain in the Senate and build up seniority to become chair or ranking member of the Banking Committee or what have you.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #715 on: April 18, 2020, 10:24:31 AM »

Maybe, but remember that Biden is at the top of the ticket. The focus will be on him almost all of the time even if he chooses someone like Warren. Not many people base their votes on a nominee's running mate in the first place, so I don't see a mass loss among potential moderate suburbanites who'd probably vote for Biden anyway.

McCain did not have a good running mate in Palin, but it's not one of the reasons why that ticket lost. Pence holds some pretty extreme views that most of the country won't even dare support, yet that didn't prevent the Trump/Pence ticket from winning. Hillary chose Kaine as the "boring, inoffensive white man" to give her ticket "balance" and we know what happened.

And since Warren is brought up as being polarizing what about Harris? Harris isn't exactly moderate and doesn't have the moderate "image" that Biden possesses. Her being a black woman could also affect how some voters see her as there's evidence that voters often perceive women and minority candidates to be more liberal than their male and white counterparts anyway. It should also be noted that she's from San Francisco, California.

EDIT: I know it's a long post, but there's something relieving about making a good, long effort post.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #716 on: April 18, 2020, 11:08:01 AM »

Klobuchar, when asked about her VP interest, invokes the infamous "f-word" in political non-denials...."focused":

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/18/politics/amy-klobuchar-joe-biden-vice-president-2020/index.html

Asked by CNN's Michael Smerconish whether she would be open to the role if offered, the Minnesota senator deflected, saying she was not going to "engage in hypotheticals" and that Biden, who served as vice president to Barack Obama, "knows what it takes to be a good vice president. He's going to make that decision."

"My answer has been the same from the very beginning which is, right now I am focused on my state. I am focused on our country, leading the effort so we can vote in November," Klobuchar said in the remote interview. "I'm just not going to engage in hypotheticals. And I know one thing for sure, Joe Biden was a great vice president. He knows what it takes to be a good vice president. He's going to make that decision. "
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #717 on: April 18, 2020, 11:12:49 AM »

On paper, Klobuchar makes the most sense. Her and Biden seemingly get along well both personally and politically. She shores up a potential weak spot electorally, and also has Midwestern appeal. But it seems like alot of people on the left actively dislike her and I worry a Klobuchar pick could depress turnout on the left even more. 
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #718 on: April 18, 2020, 11:12:53 AM »

Should be noted that even if one or more of the potential VP choices were to give a flat out denial at this point, it's too early to take that seriously.  The real test of whether you're turning down the chance to be a VP finalist is if you refuse to be vetted.  Several potential VP candidates for Trump in '16, for example, refused to be vetted.  But even when the presidential nominee is more popular and considered a favorite to win, there are sometimes people who are serious enough about not wanting the job that they refuse to be vetted (e.g., Jim Webb and Ted Strickland both took themselves out of consideration to be Obama's running mate in '08 by refusing to be vetted).
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #719 on: April 18, 2020, 11:23:21 AM »

I would be so ecstatic if Biden chose Warren, I might even start volunteering for him. Haven't done that since Obama '08.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #720 on: April 18, 2020, 11:31:43 AM »

Warren may not be the ideal pick from an election standpoint, but she would be without peer in effectiveness in the role if Biden wins.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #721 on: April 18, 2020, 11:34:21 AM »

On paper, Klobuchar makes the most sense. Her and Biden seemingly get along well both personally and politically. She shores up a potential weak spot electorally, and also has Midwestern appeal. But it seems like alot of people on the left actively dislike her and I worry a Klobuchar pick could depress turnout on the left even more. 

But only on paper. Tim Kaine was perfect on paper, too. Didn't offend anyone, was highly qualified to be VP  and with it prez, but had zero excitement factor. Klobuchar might be slightly better than Kaine on that, but that's it. She doesn't excite anyone and hardly adds to Biden's voter coalition. If the VP is solely decided on "do no harm", Klobuchar would be a top contender, but I think we can ask for a bit more. (I'm unsure whether these allegations about staff abuse could gain traction though)

Warren would be kind of interesting for sure and I've always liked her. I'm just not sure whether she's too risky of a choice and whether she's not better off staying on as powerful voice in the senate. I would like someone younger, under 65 at least. My preferred candidate is Kamala Harris, obviously, but there are more good picks such as CCM, Duckworth or Lujan Grisham.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #722 on: April 18, 2020, 12:02:43 PM »

But only on paper. Tim Kaine was perfect on paper, too. Didn't offend anyone, was highly qualified to be VP  and with it prez, but had zero excitement factor. Klobuchar might be slightly better than Kaine on that, but that's it. She doesn't excite anyone and hardly adds to Biden's voter coalition. If the VP is solely decided on "do no harm", Klobuchar would be a top contender, but I think we can ask for a bit more. (I'm unsure whether these allegations about staff abuse could gain traction though)

Warren would be kind of interesting for sure and I've always liked her. I'm just not sure whether she's too risky of a choice and whether she's not better off staying on as powerful voice in the senate. I would like someone younger, under 65 at least. My preferred candidate is Kamala Harris, obviously, but there are more good picks such as CCM, Duckworth or Lujan Grisham.

I think Biden will pick Warren, Pressly wants that seat and to ad diversity to the Senate, Pressly should be part of the Senate. Along with James Harrison and make that part of the new Senate Class. BIDEN/Warren-4-2020
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #723 on: April 18, 2020, 12:17:42 PM »

Pressley, not Pressler.

Maybe he meant Larry Pressler?
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #724 on: April 18, 2020, 02:00:15 PM »

Pressley, not Pressler.

Maybe he meant Larry Pressler?

Nah, he has changed it to Pressly (without the -e, apparently her name has to be spelt wrong in some way).
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies