Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 10:00:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 63 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 361992 times)
OkThen

Political Matrix
E: -2.32, S: 0.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1425 on: May 15, 2020, 02:04:54 PM »

Lots of information in here about Warren as the possible choice (and what the Biden team is concerned about).

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1426 on: May 15, 2020, 02:57:17 PM »

Here's the relevant quote, ftr:

“I support Tammy Duckworth. She’s spectacular, a great colleague and I hope that she fares well in this interview, which I think is going to take place soon," Durbin said outside Stroger Hospital after he visited a COVID-19 testing facility. "And I’m totally in support of her.”

Durbin did not elaborate on the nature of the interview.

A Biden official said the campaign would run a “vigorous vetting process,” but declined to provide any additional details. A Duckworth spokesman did not immediately respond to questions about whether the senator from suburban Hoffman Estates had an interview scheduled or whether she had submitted vetting materials to the campaign.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1427 on: May 15, 2020, 03:38:40 PM »

Best thing Ds can hope for is Warren and she's worth the selection
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1428 on: May 15, 2020, 04:23:07 PM »

Lots of information in here about Warren as the possible choice (and what the Biden team is concerned about).

https://twitter.com/travisakers/status/1261370773345730560?s=20

Oh yeah, it's gonna be Warren. If somebody like Tom Carper is suggesting that she's the best pick, then there's no doubt in my mind.
CellarDoor
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1429 on: May 15, 2020, 05:14:32 PM »

https://twitter.com/travisakers/status/1261370773345730560?s=20

Oh yeah, it's gonna be Warren. If somebody like Tom Carper is suggesting that she's the best pick, then there's no doubt in my mind.

I completedly forgot that Warren lost her brother to Coronavirus.  One of the themes of Biden's candidacy is empathy and compassion.  He has experienced loss many times in has life and has persevered.  This part of Warren's story enhances that theme.  The country needs to heal and it's hard thinking of a better duo to help us with that. 

Additionally, I really love how Warren's, "I have a plan for that" approach contrasts with Trump's (I don't have a plan for anything because I've never had to have a plan for anything because I inherited a fortune and have never had to worry about anything) appoach.
indietraveler

« Reply #1430 on: May 15, 2020, 06:07:31 PM »

I stopped following the veep race the past month or so for the most part - any word on when Biden might announce (there's plenty of stuff out there speculating on who).

I still believe that Biden's pick won't sway the 2020 outcome one way or the other, however this will likely be Biden's biggest decision considering he is essentially choosing what direction the democratic party moves down the road. Whoever VP is will automatically become the frontrunner for president some day, whether Biden runs a second term or not.

Everyone keeps focusing on minority appeal, and while that's all very valid, I think his choice will reveal if he's going to try to maximize urban/suburban appeal or try to minimize losses in more rural areas. In terms of appeal I actually think Harris & Warren have a lot of overlap to the general public (aka not here). Both would do well down the line in urban areas and play well to expected suburban trends. If he picks Klobuchar we know she'll mark a future campaign on trying to win over rural areas.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1431 on: May 15, 2020, 07:56:02 PM »

I stopped following the veep race the past month or so for the most part - any word on when Biden might announce (there's plenty of stuff out there speculating on who).

Extrapolating the "five to eight week" vetting timeline, probably by the end of July at the latest. Definitely before the (Zoom?) convention.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #1432 on: May 16, 2020, 02:17:40 AM »

I don't know why Warren is getting the momentum atm, I personally like her but I feel Biden will still go with Kamala Harris as the most likely option. Warren and Biden's history with each other has been extremely rocky at best and I think that is going to factor into the final decision.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1433 on: May 16, 2020, 02:20:04 AM »

I don't know why Warren is getting the momentum atm, I personally like her but I feel Biden will still go with Kamala Harris as the most likely option. Warren and Biden's history with each other has been extremely rocky at best and I think that is going to factor into the final decision.

Eh, to be fair, I think a lot of that might be overstated. He did ask her to be his running mate had he ran in 2016, after all.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1434 on: May 16, 2020, 10:05:07 AM »

1.) Harris had that big debate moment calling Biden out on live TV. That's something the public, in general, knows more about and yet Harris is still high on his list.

2.) This article sums up just about everything. There's a reason why Warren is on Biden's shortlist in the first place.

“I feel like they get along better than people who have always agreed with each other in this way that sometimes happens,” said Jared Bernstein, who was Biden’s chief economist while he was vice president and is on one of his task forces now. “I think they would both tell you that they’ve learned a lot from each other.”
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #1435 on: May 16, 2020, 01:53:42 PM »

1.) Harris had that big debate moment calling Biden out on live TV. That's something the public, in general, knows more about and yet Harris is still high on his list.

2.) This article sums up just about everything. There's a reason why Warren is on Biden's shortlist in the first place.

“I feel like they get along better than people who have always agreed with each other in this way that sometimes happens,” said Jared Bernstein, who was Biden’s chief economist while he was vice president and is on one of his task forces now. “I think they would both tell you that they’ve learned a lot from each other.”

Warren is getting the buzz, Biden said in 2016 that he will pick Warren for Veep when Hilary ran.

Warren also has a relationship with Jill Biden

Alot of Dems shouldn't be nervous about a special election, due to fact Pressley or Kennedy will win. This isn't a Scott Brown and Coakley situation

I think Biden has made up his mind, when he was pressed about Stacy Abrams, when he was on TV, he didnt commit and Abrams like Harris have similar personalities
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1436 on: May 16, 2020, 02:03:53 PM »

Liz shouldn't be picked. I think it's better for her to stay in the senate and push for her issues. Biden should pick someone largely in line with him and who is ready to succeed him in four or eight years. Liz adds little balance to the ticket other than being a woman. She has neither a strong base among blacks, nor among Hispanics. And I think her brand could hurt in critical suburbs. It should be one of CCM, Kamala, Whitmer or Klobuchar (in that order). Not even the bros are wild about her; if Uncle Joe wants a progressive, I'd even prefer Pressley over her (big minus: she's not very experienced). Baldwin would be great, but Democrats can't risk losing her seat.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #1437 on: May 16, 2020, 03:34:16 PM »

Liz shouldn't be picked. I think it's better for her to stay in the senate and push for her issues. Biden should pick someone largely in line with him and who is ready to succeed him in four or eight years. Liz adds little balance to the ticket other than being a woman. She has neither a strong base among blacks, nor among Hispanics. And I think her brand could hurt in critical suburbs. It should be one of CCM, Kamala, Whitmer or Klobuchar (in that order). Not even the bros are wild about her; if Uncle Joe wants a progressive, I'd even prefer Pressley over her (big minus: she's not very experienced). Baldwin would be great, but Democrats can't risk losing her seat.
CCM doesn't speak Spanish, Kamala didn't even perform well with blacks, for Klobachar and Whitner, I could see the case. The Bernie Bros want Sanders himself on the ticket.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #1438 on: May 16, 2020, 03:59:29 PM »

Dems are tied or leading in AZ, CO, KS, MT and NC, Dems aren't fretting about a loss.of Baldwin and Ron Kind would run in special. Warren gets along with Jill Biden
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1439 on: May 16, 2020, 07:45:16 PM »

Honestly I don't see the VP making a difference unless they're a bad pick. Warren and Harris are both fine, so I don't see either of them producing significantly different electoral outcomes.

I think Klobuchar might reduce black turnout, and Abrams might be seen as not qualified to take over if necessary, however.

Someone like Susan Rice just has way too much baggage.

Whitmer is theoretically a good pick, but it would look bad to pick her during a pandemic. So I don't think any sitting state-level politicians will get picked.

The only disadvantage with Warren I can think is her age. Biden's is already a concern, and having two 70+ people on the ticket might not look good.

Sticking with my Harris pick.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #1440 on: May 16, 2020, 08:46:06 PM »

Honestly I don't see the VP making a difference unless they're a bad pick. Warren and Harris are both fine, so I don't see either of them producing significantly different electoral outcomes.

I think Klobuchar might reduce black turnout, and Abrams might be seen as not qualified to take over if necessary, however.

Someone like Susan Rice just has way too much baggage.

Whitmer is theoretically a good pick, but it would look bad to pick her during a pandemic. So I don't think any sitting state-level politicians will get picked.

The only disadvantage with Warren I can think is her age. Biden's is already a concern, and having two 70+ people on the ticket might not look good.

Sticking with my Harris pick.

No it wouldn't be bad! People like seeing someone do their job competently and it isn't like she will be leaving for big rallies. I think it is completely fine selecting her if she is Biden's top choice.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1441 on: May 17, 2020, 12:08:51 AM »

Warren appeals to progressives, unlike Harris. And I’m not sure why we’re assuming Harris has so much more of a base among black voters when she didn’t even make it to the primaries. I agree with you on Baldwin.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1442 on: May 17, 2020, 04:33:36 AM »

Warren appeals to progressives, unlike Harris. And I’m not sure why we’re assuming Harris has so much more of a base among black voters when she didn’t even make it to the primaries. I agree with you on Baldwin.

Most of the progressives Warren appeals to live in blue states, so it doesn't really matter or actually hurts in the Suburbs of Phoenix or Detroit. Not to mention Warren's brand isn't so great in Florida. I think Kamala has a case to make in the African American community, especially among black women, who could see her as inspirational figure. Her selection would underline how much Joe Biden cares about them. CCM, Klobuchar and Whitmer have slightly other strengths, but wouldn't be the risk Warren is in critical territory. I'm not saying Warren would cost him the election, I think she's a fine person, but may not be the best pick for a number of reasons.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #1443 on: May 17, 2020, 05:15:50 AM »

CCM is chairperson of the DSCC and isnt leaving the Senate and Whitmer as already stated numerous times isnt MI, during a Pandemic
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1444 on: May 17, 2020, 06:34:27 AM »

The Boston Globe endorses Val Demings for Vice-President:

OPINION

Biden’s best VP choice: Val Demings

The case for a member of Congress who is Orlando’s former police chief.

By Jeff Jacoby Globe Columnist,Updated May 17, 2020, 4:00 a.m.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/05/17/opinion/bidens-best-vp-choice-val-demings
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1445 on: May 17, 2020, 06:42:48 AM »

I know absolutely nothing about Val Demings, but I checked her Wikipedia page.

Interesting.

I thought "Val" stands for "Valerie", but in fact it's short for "Valdez Venita" Demings (born Butler).

Valdez Venita sounds kinda Latino too ... is part of her ancestry also Mexican or something ?

That would be amazing.

She also worked as a Social Worker and comes from a poor working-class family and later on was a cop. That's ideal for a Democratic candidate.

She would be a great pick for VP.
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1446 on: May 17, 2020, 06:44:05 AM »

The Boston Globe endorses Val Demings for Vice-President:

OPINION

Biden’s best VP choice: Val Demings

The case for a member of Congress who is Orlando’s former police chief.

By Jeff Jacoby Globe Columnist,Updated May 17, 2020, 4:00 a.m.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/05/17/opinion/bidens-best-vp-choice-val-demings

Bizarre.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1447 on: May 17, 2020, 06:45:52 AM »

Val Demings is like Kamala Harris on steroids.

She's everything Kamala is, just 300% better.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1448 on: May 17, 2020, 06:48:44 AM »

Val Demings’ stock rises on VP shortlist

The Florida congresswoman is attracting an increasing amount of attention from Biden advisers, donors and congressional Democrats.

By MARC CAPUTO
05/17/2020 06:48 AM EDT

Joe Biden’s shortlist for vice president is deep in Democratic talent, filled with governors, senators and former rivals for the presidential nomination.

But one of the least-known among them is attracting an increasing amount of attention from Biden advisers, donors and Democrats in Congress — Val Demings.

The presumptive nominee himself acknowledged her appeal after joining the Florida congresswoman on a virtual campaign stop at a food bank in Orlando, her hometown.

“She is one of a group of close to a dozen really qualified and talented women who are on the list,” Biden said in a May 7 interview with an Orlando television news station. “She's a very competent, very capable person.”

First elected to the House in 2016, Demings is half of a political power couple that hails from the heart of the swing state’s swing region, the Interstate 4 Corridor, where her husband is Orange County mayor and had previously been elected sheriff.

Demings is African-American — giving her an edge in the eyes of some activists and Biden backers — strong on television, and speaks in biblically laced cadences that can bring a black church to its feet and add a potential dose of energy to a campaign that lacks it, according to polls.

“When Val speaks, you get a lot of ‘amens!’” said John Morgan, a Biden donor and bundler from Orlando. “She’s dynamic, a tough act to follow. I try to speak before her, not after her, at events.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/05/17/val-demings-joe-biden-vice-president-shortlist-262066
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1449 on: May 17, 2020, 06:53:53 AM »

Val Demings is like Kamala Harris on steroids.

She's everything Kamala is, just 300% better.

Minus the name recognition. Also, if Kamala would be a bad pick because “she’s a cop” then how exactly is Demings any better?
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 63 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies