Election 2018 Open Thread v2 - Mia, Mimi, Gil, and T.J.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 05:50:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Election 2018 Open Thread v2 - Mia, Mimi, Gil, and T.J.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 41
Author Topic: Election 2018 Open Thread v2 - Mia, Mimi, Gil, and T.J.  (Read 77734 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #400 on: November 20, 2018, 07:11:58 AM »

OOGA BOOGA!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, another blue dog plox!

Thanks God if so. I like Blue Dogs a lot..

Me too. I'll just be honest and blunt and say that what helped McAdams over the top is that he is that non-controversial pro life conservadem who is a straight white mormon male born and raised in Utah. While the same could not be said for Love. Like it or not, identity politics influences contests.

I would formulate slightly differently: in conservative-leaning districts (and UT-4 is, usually, one of them) Democrats will win more if they will run McAdams-type candidates: somewhat conservative, may be - pro-life, and so on, instead of running "bold progressives" in them. No one calls for running conservadems (though i repeat - there are NO more real conservatives in the party, even among state legislators, only - of moderate type) in San Francisco, then - why vice versa? TBH - the same is even more true for Republicans, who run ultraconservatives even in very liberal districts.

You are out of your element "dude"...

Reality is that "pro-life" doesn't amount to crap in West Coast and Mountain West CDs in these types of districts....

A Country Boy Can Survive

When did i say, that i mean West Coast and (most, at least) of the Mountain West CD?Huh  Never, as i see my post (though in Utah or, may be, Idaho, that could be helpful). But in lots of Southern and substantial number of Midwestern districts being pro-life is a plus (and i state it as pro-choice man). In some districts (and here - including Mountain West), being pro-gun is a plus. And so on. So, dude, you either misundertood me, or intentionaly changed what i had to say...
the abortion issue isn't really all that big out west - the brand of conservatism typical in the American West is more "anti-big government" in emphasis. opposition to gun control is part of that.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #401 on: November 20, 2018, 07:53:22 AM »

NE-02 is now down to a 51.0-49.0 Bacon win. Along with TX-23 (and maybe CA-21) another black eye for the moronic Dems that triaged this race because MUH weak candidate Kara Eastman and MUH unbeatable titan Don Bacon.

Yeah, I really got annoyed when they triaged Eastman to give money to Axne in Iowa. Turns out Axne needed it (only won by like, what, 2?) but the fact that Eastman also lost by only 2 with way less help is incredibly frustrating. That was a winnable race.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #402 on: November 20, 2018, 07:55:22 AM »

Is there a reason NYT just gives up on their election map (overall) after election day? They are still updating house races for win/lose, but a ton of statewide and house races are completely out of date with the specific vote totals. It's like they gave up on updating most races after election night.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #403 on: November 20, 2018, 07:55:35 AM »

NE-02 is now down to a 51.0-49.0 Bacon win. Along with TX-23 (and maybe CA-21) another black eye for the moronic Dems that triaged this race because MUH weak candidate Kara Eastman and MUH unbeatable titan Don Bacon.

Yeah, I really got annoyed when they triaged Eastman to give money to Axne in Iowa. Turns out Axne needed it (only won by like, what, 2?) but the fact that Eastman also lost by only 2 with way less help is incredibly frustrating. That was a winnable race.

Bacon seems to be a weak incumbent, so it's almost certain that he will face another stiff challenge in two years.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #404 on: November 20, 2018, 07:56:56 AM »

I knew that NE-02 would end up very close.  It was actually one of my upset picks.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #405 on: November 20, 2018, 07:59:25 AM »

Is there a reason NYT just gives up on their election map (overall) after election day? They are still updating house races for win/lose, but a ton of statewide and house races are completely out of date with the specific vote totals. It's like they gave up on updating most races after election night.

Is there even a direct link to those results from NYT's front page? I only find them by googling.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #406 on: November 20, 2018, 08:02:24 AM »

Speaking of moronic DCCC decisions, IL-13. Why exactly did we NOT target Davis? That race just sat at Lean R the entire cycle despite it being a Trump +5 or so district with a completely unremarkable incumbent. Unsurprisingly, Londrigan lost by around a point with minimal support.

They were too busy making sure Wexton won by 12 rather than 10 to target these seats. Roll Eyes

I think ca 21 was a fair race to triage accounting for previous fundamentals such as 2016 victory margin showing he has legit cross over appeal + the top 2 primary. but yeah #bothsides did the most stupid moves in VA 10th. The GOP should have known the district was lost. The dems should have known that if they lost Va 10th they were picking up like 5 seats unless there was some WWC #populist revival.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #407 on: November 20, 2018, 08:03:21 AM »

CA totals, as up to date as I can tell:

CD10: Harder (D) 51.6% - Denham (R) 48.4%
CD21: Valadao (R) 50.5% - Cox (D) 49.5%
CD22: Hill (D) 53.2% - Knight (R) 46.8%
CD39: Cisneros (D) 51.0% - Kim (R) 49.0%
CD45: Porter (D) 51.7% - Walters (R) 48.3%
CD48: Rouda (D) 53.3% - Rohrabacher (R) 46.7%
CD49: Levin (D) 56.0% - Harkey (R) 44.0%
CD50: Hunter (R) 52.2% - Campa-Najjar (D) 47.8%

Now I'm just getting greedy because given a couple more $$$, CA50 probably could've swung too. It looks like by the end of counting, Hunter will only be up about 3%
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #408 on: November 20, 2018, 08:04:39 AM »

Speaking of moronic DCCC decisions, IL-13. Why exactly did we NOT target Davis? That race just sat at Lean R the entire cycle despite it being a Trump +5 or so district with a completely unremarkable incumbent. Unsurprisingly, Londrigan lost by around a point with minimal support.

They were too busy making sure Wexton won by 12 rather than 10 to target these seats. Roll Eyes

I think ca 21 was a fair race to triage accounting for previous fundamentals such as 2016 victory margin showing he has legit cross over appeal + the top 2 primary. but yeah #bothsides did the most stupid moves in VA 10th. The GOP should have known the district was lost. The dems should have known that if they lost Va 10th they were picking up like 5 seats unless there was some WWC #populist revival.

I think someone else said this above, but I think going forward, DCCC needs to go into these races despite their polling. So even if it looks like a hard-sell with an incumbent, but Hillary/the D won it in a presidential year, they should just content it anyway. Because then they end up with egg on their faces in races that they could've won, like NE-02 and CA21.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #409 on: November 20, 2018, 08:04:55 AM »

OOGA BOOGA!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, another blue dog plox!

Thanks God if so. I like Blue Dogs a lot..

Me too. I'll just be honest and blunt and say that what helped McAdams over the top is that he is that non-controversial pro life conservadem who is a straight white mormon male born and raised in Utah. While the same could not be said for Love. Like it or not, identity politics influences contests.

I would formulate slightly differently: in conservative-leaning districts (and UT-4 is, usually, one of them) Democrats will win more if they will run McAdams-type candidates: somewhat conservative, may be - pro-life, and so on, instead of running "bold progressives" in them. No one calls for running conservadems (though i repeat - there are NO more real conservatives in the party, even among state legislators, only - of moderate type) in San Francisco, then - why vice versa? TBH - the same is even more true for Republicans, who run ultraconservatives even in very liberal districts.

You are out of your element "dude"...

Reality is that "pro-life" doesn't amount to crap in West Coast and Mountain West CDs in these types of districts....

A Country Boy Can Survive

When did i say, that i mean West Coast and (most, at least) of the Mountain West CD?Huh  Never, as i see my post (though in Utah or, may be, Idaho, that could be helpful). But in lots of Southern and substantial number of Midwestern districts being pro-life is a plus (and i state it as pro-choice man). In some districts (and here - including Mountain West), being pro-gun is a plus. And so on. So, dude, you either misundertood me, or intentionaly changed what i had to say...
the abortion issue isn't really all that big out west - the brand of conservatism typical in the American West is more "anti-big government" in emphasis. opposition to gun control is part of that.

That's exactly what i said and why i mentioned Utah and Idaho only. South and parts of Midwest - another matter, and i stressed it as well.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #410 on: November 20, 2018, 08:05:43 AM »

https://escholarship.org/uc/item/7g96g21r

So some "garbage" Berkeley poll basically nailed all the races besides Rohrabacher which they atleast tied in.

Meanwhile nyt and monmouth has trump at even approval in all these districts.

NEW GOLD STANDARD?
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #411 on: November 20, 2018, 08:07:52 AM »

Being pro-life is a big deal among Mormons, guys. Mormons live in Utah (although less so the 4th).
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #412 on: November 20, 2018, 08:12:09 AM »

In KS-02, with some new votes, Watkins (R) lead is down to only 0.7%. It's a shame we couldn't of pulled that race out too. Kansas would've been even more blue.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #413 on: November 20, 2018, 08:13:23 AM »

Devin Nunes lead is also down to 7.0% in CA-22. The fact that he may only win by like 6% in the end is pretty crazy. Dems should definitely plan to target this seat in 2020.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #414 on: November 20, 2018, 08:29:46 AM »

Devin Nunes lead is also down to 7.0% in CA-22. The fact that he may only win by like 6% in the end is pretty crazy. Dems should definitely plan to target this seat in 2020.

Democrats need a very good turnout to beat him. Will it happen?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #415 on: November 20, 2018, 08:59:46 AM »

The great thing about this is that we have another 10 or 20 seats that still appear reachable.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #416 on: November 20, 2018, 09:06:05 AM »

The great thing about this is that we have another 10 or 20 seats that still appear reachable.

eh not really
Trumps nationalism rhetoric basically cost the GOP all the seats that were suburban and close in 2016.
All thats left to really take is basically
Katko Fitz Hurd  Bacon and 3-4 seats in texas with napping incumbents and weak dem challengers. They really should have saw what was happening to Culberson.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #417 on: November 20, 2018, 10:01:52 AM »

eh not really
Trumps nationalism rhetoric basically cost the GOP all the seats that were suburban and close in 2016.
Katko Fitz Hurd  Bacon and 3-4 seats in texas with napping incumbents and weak dem challengers. They really should have saw what was happening to Culberson.

Dems did really sweep the table, but there are some seats left behind.

NY24, NY02/NY01 if retirement
PA01, PA10 & PA16 in a good year
GA07
IL13
MO02 in a good year
NE02
TX10, TX21, TX22, TX24, TX31
CA21 if it fails to flip
WA03 in a good year
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #418 on: November 20, 2018, 10:06:03 AM »

The education gap:

Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #419 on: November 20, 2018, 10:11:15 AM »

eh not really

GA07
IL13
MO02 in a good year
NE02
TX02, TX10, TX21, TX22, TX24, TX31
CA21 if it fails to flip
WA03 in a good year

Crenshaw underperformed and only took 52% of the vote. I feel like we could unseat him in 2020 if the GOP's suburban collapse continues.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #420 on: November 20, 2018, 10:17:00 AM »

I know. So stupid.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #421 on: November 20, 2018, 10:26:39 AM »

eh not really

GA07
IL13
MO02 in a good year
NE02
CA21 if it fails to flip
WA03 in a good year

Yep. I’d say CA-50 could be added to that list along with CA-21 depending on how that district goes.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #422 on: November 20, 2018, 10:37:27 AM »

IIRC, the DCCC did start targeting IL-13 and IL-14 (good call on their part btw, I don’t think IL-14 was on most people’s radar until pretty late in the game) shortly after the IL primaries although I could be mistaken.  Either way, one also has to give them credit for the good stuff they did like their handling of the CA jungle primaries (we didn’t get boxed out in any competitive races and they brokered a truce in CA-39 between Thorburn and Cisneros), unseating Curbelo (the ads definitely made a big difference here), recruiting some strong candidates* in seats that otherwise would’ve likely been lost/not been competitive due to either a weak nominee or gone uncontested, finding someone (however flawed) to run against Valadao instead of letting him run unopposed (which also may’ve saved Josh Harder since he arguably only avoided getting boxed out in the jungle primary b/c Cox switched races).  While they definitely made some mistakes (*cough* Donna Shalala *cough*), overall I’m pretty satisfied with D-trip’s performance this cycle.

*Ex: Tom Malinowski, the woman from NM-2 (not gonna even try and spell her name), Dean Phillips (I remember when the DCCC had to really work to convince someone credible to run against unbeatable titan Erik Paulson Tongue ), Anthony Brindisi, Ben McAdams, Ron DiNiccola (almost won), Elaine Lauria, Clarke Tucker (came pretty close), Paul Davis (lost by less than 1% in KS-2), Branden Kelly (we made the Republicans compete in IL-12), Dan Feehan (barely lost, I think we can retake this seat in 2020 with Trump on the ballot and since Hagedorn has all the makings of a really weak incumbent), etc.

So maybe Ashford would’ve won after all Tongue

I’d say more than that; just off the top of my head, I think the following incumbents (in no particular order) could realistically be vulnerable

Lee Zeldin
Peter King
John Katko
Tom Reed
Mike Kelly
Brian Fitzpatrick
Scott Perry
Dever Riggleman
Ted Budd
George Holding
Mark Harris
Rob Woodall
Vern Buchanan
Brian Mast
Will Hurd
Kenny Merchant
Chip Roy
John Carter
French Hill
Andy Barr
Steve Chabot
Troy Balderson
David Joyce (need a real A-lister though)
Justin Amash
Tim Wahlberg
Fred Upton
Rodney Davis
Steve Watkins (if Paul Davis runs again)
Don Bacon
Jim Hagedorn
Pete Stauber (Need a real A-lister)
Greg Gianforte
Jamie Herrera-Beutler
David Valadao (if he wins)

So that’s like 30 or so seats just off the top of my head
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #423 on: November 20, 2018, 10:37:51 AM »

eh not really

GA07
IL13
MO02 in a good year
NE02
CA21 if it fails to flip
WA03 in a good year

Yep. I’d say CA-50 could be added to that list along with CA-21 depending on how that district goes.

nah all the losing GOP members now run to the 50th like vultures to get Hunters seat.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #424 on: November 20, 2018, 10:40:15 AM »

IIRC, the DCCC did start targeting IL-13 and IL-14 (good call on their part btw, I don’t think IL-14 was on most people’s radar until pretty late in the game) shortly after the IL primaries although I could be mistaken.  Either way, one also has to give them credit for the good stuff they did like their handling of the CA jungle primaries (we didn’t get boxed out in any competitive races and they brokered a truce in CA-39 between Thorburn and Cisneros), unseating Curbelo (the ads definitely made a big difference here), recruiting some strong candidates* in seats that otherwise would’ve likely been lost/not been competitive due to either a weak nominee or gone uncontested, finding someone (however flawed) to run against Valadao instead of letting him run unopposed (which also may’ve saved Josh Harder since he arguably only avoided getting boxed out in the jungle primary b/c Cox switched races).  While they definitely made some mistakes (*cough* Donna Shalala *cough*), overall I’m pretty satisfied with D-trip’s performance this cycle.

*Ex: Tom Malinowski, the woman from NM-2 (not gonna even try and spell her name), Dean Phillips (I remember when the DCCC had to really work to convince someone credible to run against unbeatable titan Erik Paulson Tongue ), Anthony Brindisi, Ben McAdams, Ron DiNiccola (almost won), Elaine Lauria, Clarke Tucker (came pretty close), Paul Davis (lost by less than 1% in KS-2), Branden Kelly (we made the Republicans compete in IL-12), Dan Feehan (barely lost, I think we can retake this seat in 2020 with Trump on the ballot and since Hagedorn has all the makings of a really weak incumbent), etc.

So maybe Ashford would’ve won after all Tongue

I’d say more than that; just off the top of my head, I think the following incumbents (in no particular order) could realistically be vulnerable

Lee Zeldin
Peter King
John Katko
Tom Reed
Mike Kelly
Brian Fitzpatrick
Scott Perry
Dever Riggleman
Ted Budd
George Holding
Mark Harris
Rob Woodall
Vern Buchanan
Brian Mast
Will Hurd
Kenny Merchant
Chip Roy
John Carter
French Hill
Andy Barr
Steve Chabot
Troy Balderson
David Joyce (need a real A-lister though)
Justin Amash
Tim Wahlberg
Fred Upton
Rodney Davis
Steve Watkins (if Paul Davis runs again)
Don Bacon
Jim Hagedorn
Pete Stauber (Need a real A-lister)
Greg Gianforte
Jamie Herrera-Beutler
David Valadao (if he wins)

So that’s like 30 or so seats just off the top of my head

In my view, it is quite likely the NC congressional map is going to be tossed next turn. So likely 3 pick ups in NC
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 41  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies