Election 2018 Open Thread - Part 1
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 08:57:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Election 2018 Open Thread - Part 1
« previous next »
Thread note

Pages: 1 ... 93 94 95 96 97 [98] 99 100 101 102 103 ... 179
Author Topic: Election 2018 Open Thread - Part 1  (Read 212859 times)
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2425 on: November 07, 2018, 12:33:07 PM »

Are there many votes still out in places like Mohave and Yavapai? If there are that’s not good news

They haven't been mentioned, the only two counties appear to be Maricopa (400-500k) and Pima (100k). That's according to @brahmresnik at the AZ NBC affiliate.

Still possible there could be more outstanding in other counties, Pima is probably the best bet for the Dems.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2426 on: November 07, 2018, 12:34:42 PM »

Is there going to be a recout in Texas 23? Gina Ortiz Jones trails Will Hurd by just 0.2 or a few hundred votes. Maybe she can still get this?

I sure hope so. It would be amazing to see her win, especially after all the hot takes of Will Hurd somehow being impenetrable
Webnicz
United States

« Reply #2427 on: November 07, 2018, 12:37:42 PM »

I will admit the way AZ counts ballots is weird. The 100% reporting indicates ballots cast on Election Day and the number we have now includes early ballots. They look good for sinema considering the GOP had a 7.5% advantage in both categories.

The remaining ballots are “late earlies” which traditionally favor democrats but I’m not putting bets on anything bc a mcsally win is totally possible but traditionally they slightly favor dems, there are more than 500k from Maricopa and Pima.

Are there many votes still out in places like Mohave and Yavapai? If there are that’s not good news

From what I’ve heard Yavapai and Mohave are essentially done.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2428 on: November 07, 2018, 12:37:48 PM »

Confirmed that there are 472K votes left to be counted in Maricopa county.

How are the remaining ballots looking for Sinema? Is Maricopa a good county for her?

She currently leads in Maricopa by 1%, but it's way too early to tell if that will extrapolate to the other votes or not

That said, assuming these are late-returned absentees or similar, I would guess that they skew more Democratic than the county as a whole.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2429 on: November 07, 2018, 12:39:31 PM »

Good news for y'all looking at ME-02. The Ranked Choice vote is likely to go to Golden, polling has shown. If Golden is able to tie, then the 2nd vote should give it to himhopefully.

And then setting up a potential Supreme Court challenge on the validity of ballot initiatives setting rules for federal elections, which I'm sure John Roberts would love to give his opinion on.

Nah, the federal courts have zero desire to wade into that morass.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #2430 on: November 07, 2018, 12:40:59 PM »

Should they call the CA-25 race for Hill? She has a comfortable lead and provisionals are only going to expand it.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2431 on: November 07, 2018, 12:41:16 PM »

FL is still tightening.
Nelson down 30K.
Gillum down 50K.

Just saw. CNN is ahead of NYT here. That was a net of about 4k for Nelson since first thing this morning. Maybe Nelson can pull it out? Seems unlikely to me but I guess not entirely impossible. Gillum is done, though.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #2432 on: November 07, 2018, 12:41:38 PM »

Still a crappy result, but not as disgusting as yesterday night ...

At least there were decent gains in the House and among Governors and AZ still has the chance to be won by Sinema.

BTW: Is there enough left for Nelson ? (I guess Gillum is done, which is a shame, because the racist DeSantis will now become Governor. And that fu**er Kemp also won).
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #2433 on: November 07, 2018, 12:42:12 PM »

Good news for y'all looking at ME-02. The Ranked Choice vote is likely to go to Golden, polling has shown. If Golden is able to tie, then the 2nd vote should give it to himhopefully.

And then setting up a potential Supreme Court challenge on the validity of ballot initiatives setting rules for federal elections, which I'm sure John Roberts would love to give his opinion on.
John "Racism is dead so let's gut VRA" Roberts.

Look at Georgia, John. You still wanna make that claim?
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2434 on: November 07, 2018, 12:45:41 PM »

FL is still tightening.
Nelson down 30K.
Gillum down 50K.

Just saw. CNN is ahead of NYT here. That was a net of about 4k for Nelson since first thing this morning. Maybe Nelson can pull it out? Seems unlikely to me but I guess not entirely impossible. Gillum is done, though.

Gillum camp thinks that when all votes are counted they will be down 15K, so a gain of 35K. If you extrapolate that to Nelson he's up by 5K.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #2435 on: November 07, 2018, 12:45:48 PM »

I think you guys are overblowing it on the SC getting rid of Ranked Choice. Many on the Supreme Court have affirmed State Rights with elections, and they have never overturned an election system(as far as I know).
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2436 on: November 07, 2018, 12:45:56 PM »

At least there were decent gains in the House and among Governors and AZ still has the chance to be won by Sinema.

BTW: Is there enough left for Nelson ? (I guess Gillum is done, which is a shame, because the racist DeSantis will now become Governor. And that fu**er Kemp also won).

There is enough left numerically since the recount is just that, a recounting of all the votes. It's possible a ton of votes were counted wrong or something else screwy happened, but I doubt anyone has ever gained 30,000 votes in a recount.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2437 on: November 07, 2018, 12:50:28 PM »

When will they start counting the AZ ballots?
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2438 on: November 07, 2018, 12:51:43 PM »

Why are places like UT-4 still not finished...
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2439 on: November 07, 2018, 12:52:18 PM »

There is enough left numerically since the recount is just that, a recounting of all the votes. It's possible a ton of votes were counted wrong or something else screwy happened, but I doubt anyone has ever gained 30,000 votes in a recount.

Well I think some people are saying (if I have this correct) that there are still some ballots left to be counted before the recount..
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #2440 on: November 07, 2018, 12:53:37 PM »

I think you guys are overblowing it on the SC getting rid of Ranked Choice. Many on the Supreme Court have affirmed State Rights with elections, and they have never overturned an election system(as far as I know).

Such a case would presumably be making the same argument that was made in the Arizona Redistricting Commission case in 2015.  That was a 5-4 decision with Kennedy siding with the Liberals to affirm the voter initiative creating the commission.  And Kennedy isn't on the Court anymore...
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2441 on: November 07, 2018, 12:54:34 PM »

Such a case would presumably be making the same argument that was made in the Arizona Redistricting Commission case in 2015.  That was a 5-4 decision with Kennedy siding with the Liberals to affirm the voter initiative creating the commission.  And Kennedy isn't on the Court anymore...

Roberts specifically hates to overturn decisions made by his court.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2442 on: November 07, 2018, 12:55:01 PM »

Well I think some people are saying (if I have this correct) that there are still some ballots left to be counted before the recount..

Oh, thanks for the clarification. In that case I don't know. But, votes had popped up in close races before, so it is possible.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #2443 on: November 07, 2018, 12:55:39 PM »

FL is still tightening.
Nelson down 30K.
Gillum down 50K.

Gillum camp thinks that when all votes are counted they will be down 15K, so a gain of 35K. If you extrapolate that to Nelson he's up by 5K.

If this is true, then why did he concede so early?  It always seems to me like candidates are too quick to concede.  There's nothing anti-democratic about just waiting a day to see what happens.

People got so grumpy about Al Gore retracting his concession in 2000, as though the election should be decided by a phone call and not the actual vote count.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2444 on: November 07, 2018, 12:56:11 PM »

CNN now has Tester up 5k votes, 49.1% - 48.0%
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2445 on: November 07, 2018, 12:59:04 PM »

AP calls it for Tester

Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2446 on: November 07, 2018, 12:59:08 PM »

Well, that leaves 2 seats in the senate to be decided, FL, and AZ.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #2447 on: November 07, 2018, 01:00:13 PM »

Well, that leaves 2 seats in the senate to be decided, FL, and AZ.

Good for Tester.

But AZ takes probably a week or 2 to count all their votes.

And FL could also take a while.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2448 on: November 07, 2018, 01:00:15 PM »

Should they call the CA-25 race for Hill? She has a comfortable lead and provisionals are only going to expand it.

Yes. All of the CA Dems in the lead right now are going to win. I would bet on Harder winning as well. Porter and Cisneros are going to be close but I think they also win. It's not just provisionals (even if they say 100% reporting). California accepts mail-in ballots *postmarked* by Election Day, so new ballots will continue arriving until Friday or so. And the late ballots always skew very strongly towards the Democrats, enough to make up 2-3 points in margin.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #2449 on: November 07, 2018, 01:00:41 PM »

NYT calls it for Tester.

If this ends up at R +1 after all this, I’ll laugh.
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 95 96 97 [98] 99 100 101 102 103 ... 179  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies