Election 2018 Open Thread - Part 1
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 02:42:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Election 2018 Open Thread - Part 1
« previous next »
Thread note

Pages: 1 ... 134 135 136 137 138 [139] 140 141 142 143 144 ... 179
Author Topic: Election 2018 Open Thread - Part 1  (Read 212915 times)
cg41386
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.39, S: -7.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3450 on: November 09, 2018, 03:18:15 PM »

If McSally loses, is Ducey going to appoint her to the other seat?

He already appointed Jon Kyl a couple months ago.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3451 on: November 09, 2018, 03:20:02 PM »

I thought Kyl is going to step down in the senate.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #3452 on: November 09, 2018, 03:20:06 PM »

Trump and FLorida R's are highly annoying ...

It's pretty clear that what's left to count are absentee ballots that were postmarked by election day and returned after election day, military ballots from overseas which come in now and provisional ballots.

Those are all legal and correct ballots.

Nobody in Broward or elsewhere is opening the lockbox with hidden Al Gore votes from 2000 to turn them into Nelson/Gillum votes ...
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3453 on: November 09, 2018, 03:20:50 PM »

It's been speculated that Kyl might resign after the end of the year, though.
cg41386
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.39, S: -7.74

« Reply #3454 on: November 09, 2018, 03:22:32 PM »

I thought Kyl is going to step down in the senate.

He hasn’t made a final decision except he definitely won’t be seeking the seat in the special election in 2020.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3455 on: November 09, 2018, 03:30:13 PM »

I read Poliquin will sue, but on what grounds? Ranked choice is not that different from run-offs.

That only the legislature can change the rules for federal elections, and so ballot initiative-driven changes are unconstitutional. Coincidentally, a favorable ruling for him would obliterate decades of pro-voter reforms across the country.

The reason I am nervous about that is because John Roberts and his band of partisan conservative justices came within 1 vote of ruling that redistricting commissions enacted by ballot initiatives are unconstitutional, as only the legislature itself can change the rules regarding redistricting. The ruling was that 'legislature' also included the voters where ballot initiatives exist, but Roberts' dissented very strongly and I'm worried he could try to overturn even such a recent precedent now that Kennedy is gone. He only seems to care about the USSC's legitimacy in cases that don't present a threat to Republicans in elections.

It shouldn't be a problem, but Roberts & friends always seem to rule favorably for Republicans when it comes to things that concern their viability in elections

Not to mention that band of thugs in Black robes don't seem to give a flying s*** about stare decius
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3456 on: November 09, 2018, 03:34:06 PM »

I read Poliquin will sue, but on what grounds? Ranked choice is not that different from run-offs.

That only the legislature can change the rules for federal elections, and so ballot initiative-driven changes are unconstitutional. Coincidentally, a favorable ruling for him would obliterate decades of pro-voter reforms across the country.

The reason I am nervous about that is because John Roberts and his band of partisan conservative justices came within 1 vote of ruling that redistricting commissions enacted by ballot initiatives are unconstitutional, as only the legislature itself can change the rules regarding redistricting. The ruling was that 'legislature' also included the voters where ballot initiatives exist, but Roberts' dissented very strongly and I'm worried he could try to overturn even such a recent precedent now that Kennedy is gone. He only seems to care about the USSC's legitimacy in cases that don't present a threat to Republicans in elections.

It shouldn't be a problem, but Roberts & friends always seem to rule favorably for Republicans when it comes to things that concern their viability in elections

Not to mention that band of thugs in Black robes don't seem to give a flying s*** about stare decius

There has been some talk about Roberts not overturning decisions made under his court, regardless of his view on it. I'll believe it when I see it, but that's been the talk.
CellarDoor
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #3457 on: November 09, 2018, 03:34:40 PM »

Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #3458 on: November 09, 2018, 03:37:30 PM »

Trump calling for a new election in Arizona?

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3459 on: November 09, 2018, 03:38:08 PM »

There has been some talk about Roberts not overturning decisions made under his court, regardless of his view on it. I'll believe it when I see it, but that's been the talk.

I feel the same. Too early to say. I really hope he walks the walk. The fact that he was willing to uphold Obamacare despite pressure not to is a good sign, but....
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3460 on: November 09, 2018, 03:38:51 PM »

He has no idea what he's talking about, but he's only making things worse and setting the groundwork for him to dispute his own election in 2020.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3461 on: November 09, 2018, 03:39:04 PM »

Oh, I'm too lazy to link right now on my phone, but Trump also just suggested possible Federal intervention in the Florida election count shading, and I quote, there's a lot of crooked things going on down there.

Who would know better, Don?
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3462 on: November 09, 2018, 03:39:43 PM »

Clueless s**thead, as per usual.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #3463 on: November 09, 2018, 03:41:01 PM »

He has no idea what he's talking about, but he's only making things worse and setting the groundwork for him to dispute his own election in 2020.

Plus he’s revealing that the RNC believes McSally isn’t going to win.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #3464 on: November 09, 2018, 03:41:47 PM »

Signatures are not matching all the time. In every election.

About 1% of all postal ballots are thrown out in every election, in the US, in Austria because of that reason. Or because some voters don't sign the postal ballot at all.

Someone please tell Trump that this is no fraud or corruption. It's simply lazy or dumb voters.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3465 on: November 09, 2018, 03:44:00 PM »

Clueless s**thead, as per usual.
The Undefeatable Debbie Stabenow
slightlyburnttoast
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -5.43

P P
« Reply #3466 on: November 09, 2018, 03:49:02 PM »
« Edited: November 09, 2018, 03:52:27 PM by slightlyburnttoast »

The Salt Lake Tribune has basically written Love's obituary and predicts that the race will be called later today: https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics/2018/11/08/rep-mia-love-could-still/

I almost feel bad that only black GOP congresswoman loses when most of her white male colleagues, most of whom are more ideologically reprehensible than her, get to have another term... but obviously I would much rather have McAdams in Congress, so this is a pleasantly surprising result. I knew it would be very close, but I would assigned it a Tilt R rating before a Tilt D one.
Thatkat04
« Reply #3467 on: November 09, 2018, 03:50:09 PM »

More than likely, which is why if a democrat wins, it needs to be convincingly.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3468 on: November 09, 2018, 03:52:35 PM »

The Salt Lake Tribune has basically written Love's obituary and predicts that the race will be called later today: https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics/2018/11/08/rep-mia-love-could-still/

I almost feel bad that only black GOP congresswoman loses when most of her white male colleagues, most of whom are more ideologically reprehensible than her, get to have another term... but obviously I would much rather have McAdams in Congress, so this is a pleasantly surprising result. I knew it would be very close, but I would assigned it a Tilt R rating before Tilt D one.

The number of Republican women in the House for the next term is going to be very low. Like around 15.
CellarDoor
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #3469 on: November 09, 2018, 03:54:01 PM »

More than likely, which is why if a democrat wins, it needs to be convincingly.

All the more important that we have Democratic governors in Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #3470 on: November 09, 2018, 03:54:32 PM »

Any word on the AZ state legislative races that were said to potentially flip?
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3471 on: November 09, 2018, 03:57:58 PM »

Any word on the AZ state legislative races that were said to potentially flip?

Last I saw there was one Senate race within 800 votes
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #3472 on: November 09, 2018, 04:07:35 PM »

538 moving Arizona to LEAN D

KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3473 on: November 09, 2018, 04:10:22 PM »

How can you argue that this should be counted?

Do people not know you bubble it in?
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #3474 on: November 09, 2018, 04:10:38 PM »

How can you argue that this should be counted?

Given the vote that allowed GOP to retain the VA CoD...

If that was counted, this should be too.
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 136 137 138 [139] 140 141 142 143 144 ... 179  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies