Kavanaugh case impact
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 12:53:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Kavanaugh case impact
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Will Kavanaugh case impact results of 2020 election
It will make no impact

It will make small impact

It will have great impact

It will help Trump and Republicans to win the election

It will help Democrats to win the election

It will help a third party to win the election

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 71

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Kavanaugh case impact  (Read 2648 times)
TML
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2018, 08:13:39 PM »

Remember that exit polls from 2008 indicated that Obama won the group of voters who thought Supreme Court appointments were the most important thing that mattered, while Trump won that group in 2016. Regardless of who ends up filling Kennedy’s seat, I think the Democratic candidate will win this group in 2020.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2018, 09:08:39 PM »

If Kav ends up overturning Roe and gutting Obamacare and pre-existing conditions before 2020 it will be a huge self own for Trump.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2018, 09:42:43 PM »

Doesn't it intensity existing contradictions polarizing American society?

Kavanaugh is just a symptom of the polarization and not a contributor. The Democratic party isnt the one polarizing American political discourse....almost all polarization comes from the GOP. The party keeps growing more derranged and lawless by the day

Right, and the party willing to use a sexual assault victim as a prop to smear a good man because they can't actually win elections or wield any real power... that party is quite the healing force for America.

It must be nice to be all-knowing and know for a fact, somehow, that he didn't do it.

Come on, quit being ridiculous.  At the very least, he lied several times.  Boof means flatulence?  Devil's triangle is a drinking game?  "Ralph club" referred to him having a sensitive stomach?  He has never drank so much that his memory was fuzzy?  Give me a break.  And before you say any of that isn't a big deal, it is in fact lying under oath. 
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2018, 09:44:22 PM »

The effect will be more upon 2018 than upon 2020 because this will be fresh in early November in 2018 -- not 2020. People will have other concerns in 2020.

We have a President acting much like a dictator, someone who treats elected officials as if they were his employees.  
Toute nation a le gouvernement qu’elle mérite.
Trump was elected by Americans and he has some mission to accomplish. Mission given by God. Now it's not so easy to   understand what this mission consists in, but it will be clear later.

You're clearly a troll.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2018, 12:27:21 AM »

Nobody will remember or care about this in 2 years, except for people that were already locked in to voting for/against Trump regardless.

Never mind two years from now.  The primary campaign is much earlier than that.  (Arguably, it's already going on.)  Biden is supposedly going to decide on whether to run just four months from now.  Does the Kavanaugh episode impact his decision at all (because of his role w/ Anita Hill, etc.)?
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2018, 01:06:00 AM »

Very small net pro-Trump impact.
Proto
Estonia
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2018, 02:55:56 AM »

I don't think K case will be safely forgotten. Both Democrats and Republicans will refer to it during election campaign. And much depends on results of FBI investigation.
SCNCmod

« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2018, 07:54:09 AM »

A bit off subject... but regarding the potential 2020 candidates and the hearings...

I thought Klobuchar was the one that I could most see as President.  Oh course performance in a Senate hearing isn't how a President is chosen- but Klobuchar came off the best imo.
Proto
Estonia
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2018, 10:01:59 AM »

A bit off subject... but regarding the potential 2020 candidates and the hearings...

I thought Klobuchar was the one that I could most see as President.  Oh course performance in a Senate hearing isn't how a President is chosen- but Klobuchar came off the best imo.
Klobuchar is sure to make a worthy presidential candidate who will be able to defeat any Republican.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2018, 11:04:58 AM »

It helps Trump by encouraging some Republicans who voted 3rd party/write-in in 2016 return in 2020, especially as it also rises Harris to prominence, who will be easiest for Trump to beat among the most talked about candidates.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2018, 12:29:08 PM »

Harris isn't going to be easy to beat and it raised Biden and Booker's prospects as well.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2018, 01:22:08 PM »

It may have a similar impact to Thomas hearings. While he was ultimately confirmed, the Hill case helped spark the "Year of the Women" that came next.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2018, 01:30:12 PM »

Kavanaugh is just a symptom of the polarization and not a contributor. The Democratic party isnt the one polarizing American political discourse....almost all polarization comes from the GOP. The party keeps growing more derranged and lawless by the day

Right, and the party willing to use a sexual assault victim as a prop to smear a good man because they can't actually win elections or wield any real power... that party is quite the healing force for America.

Have you taken an objective look at your party lately:

1) Nominating and enthusiastically supporting a guy accused of sexual assault by dozens of women, rape by his 2 ex-wives, and conning thousands during his "career" as a real estate snake oil salesman
2) The GOP has nominated records amount of Neo-Nazis this year
3) The GOP has nominated record amounts of felons this year
4) The GOP nominated a pedofile in AL and a Confederate nutcase in VA who wants the South to rise again but is too fat himself to do it

The norms of American politics were exclusively destroyed by the GOP starting with that tub of excrement Newt Gingrich:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Republicans lecturing anyone on partisanship, smearing of opponents, and the politics of personal destruction is laughable. Your party invented it.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2018, 03:15:36 PM »

Please... democrats are the ones who want an FBI probe. And SHE decided to testify, Dems didn't push her
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2018, 04:26:52 PM »

If Kav ends up overturning Roe and gutting Obamacare and pre-existing conditions before 2020 it will be a huge self own for Trump.

This is why I think an outright repeal of Roe isn't likely, but rather that they'll just continue chipping away at it until it's still on the books but effectively meaningless.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2018, 04:52:28 PM »

Wait wait wait, so she IS a sexual assault victim? If so, how is Kavanaugh any thing close to a good man? On the contrary, if Dr. Ford is speaking the truth, which I think is clearly a possibility, Democrats are helping a victim get justice for her pain, and preventing a deranged man from soiling one of the highest offices in the land. So which is it?
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2018, 11:38:18 PM »

Please... democrats are the ones who want an FBI probe. And SHE decided to testify, Dems didn't push her

She decided to testify after Democrats (Dianne Feinstein and/or those in her staff) leaked her story, WHICH she didn't want. The Democrats didn't explicitly push her to testify, but in large part, forced her hand.
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2018, 11:43:30 PM »

Wait wait wait, so she IS a sexual assault victim? If so, how is Kavanaugh any thing close to a good man? On the contrary, if Dr. Ford is speaking the truth, which I think is clearly a possibility, Democrats are helping a victim get justice for her pain, and preventing a deranged man from soiling one of the highest offices in the land. So which is it?

I mean to say that I believe that Dr. Ford was likely a victim of sexual assault but don't think there is sufficient evidence to lay the blame at the feet of Brett Kavanaugh. Obviously, if he did it, he is not a good man and should withdraw his nomination. However, the rush to judgement and endless smear campaign against him, without evidence to back up Ford's conclusion (that Kavanaugh did it) and much pointing the opposite direction (the fact that the witnesses she mentioned have no recollection of the event) makes this one of the most shameful campaigns to ruin a man's public image in recent memory.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2018, 02:49:47 AM »

She decided to testify after Democrats (Dianne Feinstein and/or those in her staff) leaked her story, WHICH she didn't want. The Democrats didn't explicitly push her to testify, but in large part, forced her hand.

I'm not sure why you think she didn't want her to testify. If anything, it seems to me like Feinstein held on to the story longer than the accuser would've liked, and Dr. Ford seems very much to want to sink Kavanaugh's nomination due to the actions she accuses him of.

I mean to say that I believe that Dr. Ford was likely a victim of sexual assault but don't think there is sufficient evidence to lay the blame at the feet of Brett Kavanaugh. Obviously, if he did it, he is not a good man and should withdraw his nomination. However, the rush to judgement and endless smear campaign against him, without evidence to back up Ford's conclusion (that Kavanaugh did it) and much pointing the opposite direction (the fact that the witnesses she mentioned have no recollection of the event) makes this one of the most shameful campaigns to ruin a man's public image in recent memory.

Well, if she did go through that, I strongly doubt it's not Kavanaugh, as she was the sober one in the story and I heavily doubt there are many Kavanaugh lookalikes running around. There will never be sufficient evidence, but if we choose to believe part of her story, it looks to me like it's enough to make Kavanaugh's nomination too big a risk. If you ask me, the most shameful smear campaign in recent memory was actually the one that made Hillary Clinton the devil itself in the eyes of a vast amount of Americans, but that's besides the point- if he did what he did, and it seems like the allegations are much more credible than we originally thought, it's important he doesn't serve on the court.
Proto
Estonia
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2018, 03:17:11 AM »

I can't comprehend why everyone here takes for granted that Ford was an assault victim. My personal impression from the hearings is that her story has been fabricated from scratch. The woman first said she was afraid of traveling by air, but at the hearings it turned out she had traveled a lot by plane to remote places such as French Polynesia. She couldn't remember how she got home located 8 miles from the assult place. She named 3 witnesses all of whom failed to recollect the party.
The woman is false to backbone.
I disliked Kavanaugh either. He was too agitated, improper for the candidate for such position.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2018, 03:22:33 AM »

I can't comprehend why everyone here takes for granted that Ford was an assault victim. My personal impression from the hearings is that her story has been fabricated from scratch. The woman first said she was afraid of traveling by air, but at the hearings it turned out she had traveled a lot by plane to remote places such as French Polynesia. She couldn't remember how she got home located 8 miles from the assult place. She named 3 witnesses all of whom failed to recollect the party.
The woman is false to backbone.
I disliked Kavanaugh either. He was too agitated, improper for the candidate for such position.

If she fabricated her experience surely she would fabricate a way that she got home?

I have a slight fear of flying- yet I've flown multiple times. How thick are you?
Proto
Estonia
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2018, 04:22:20 AM »

If she fabricated her experience surely she would fabricate a way that she got home?

I have a slight fear of flying- yet I've flown multiple times. How thick are you?
Evidently, she couldn't foresee the question. And she delayed hearings claiming she was afraid of flying.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2018, 04:41:52 AM »

Evidently, she couldn't foresee the question. And she delayed hearings claiming she was afraid of flying.

I would have thought George Soros Inc would have paid for better acting lessons
Proto
Estonia
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2018, 08:57:03 AM »

I tried to start a new topic to give detailed explanation of my position, but the topic was deleted by moderators. I published my thoughts here: https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/comment/216721
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2018, 09:46:13 AM »
« Edited: September 30, 2018, 09:49:35 AM by Meclazine »

Although not a poll choice, i am going with this one.

This is not as big as the Hillary FBI investigation. Yetthis one has a sexual bent.

I cannot speak for how female voters view this episode, but as a hot blooded male ( >0.2mg of testosterone per litre of blood* ), i find the entire process abhorrent.

It's a wonder Megyn Kelly has not done a special on this woman yet with slow motion black and white re-enactments with tortured classical music in E flat minor playing in the background.

Megyn asks "Tell us what happened after he raped you?"

And they have a live poll on the screen of "Womens' opinion of Brett Kavanaugh" tracking south live throughout the show.

The USA is out of control.

The Democrats have lost credibility here.

* the average testosterone level of Atlas men being 0.1 mg per L.

Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies