Justice Kavanaugh Confirmation Hearing *DISCUSSION AND LIVE COMMENTARY*
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 12:09:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Justice Kavanaugh Confirmation Hearing *DISCUSSION AND LIVE COMMENTARY*
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 ... 58
Author Topic: Justice Kavanaugh Confirmation Hearing *DISCUSSION AND LIVE COMMENTARY*  (Read 101780 times)
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1200 on: September 26, 2018, 11:04:51 AM »

Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1201 on: September 26, 2018, 11:05:06 AM »

Can we PLEASE withdraw this guy?!
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #1202 on: September 26, 2018, 11:08:10 AM »

Haven't the Republican leadership made clear that this is the battle they want to fight? The right of men to rape women probably trumps the right to life and 2nd amendment as Republican principles today.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1203 on: September 26, 2018, 11:10:39 AM »

I mean, I struggle to see why she would lie and risk perjury here. If there is corroboration of her story I can't see him surviving. Even the GOP wouldn't confirm a gang rapist to the Supreme Court (not because they would mind gang rape of course, but even they would recognize the political backlash as not worth it).

Haven't the Republican leadership made clear that this is the battle they want to fight? The right of men to rape women probably trumps the right to life and 2nd amendment as Republican principles today.

Did you just change your mind? Huh
Florida Man for Crime
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1204 on: September 26, 2018, 11:13:38 AM »

I still believe that Republicans will find a way to confirm Kavanaugh.

I think this new affidavit makes the stakes much more serious for Kavanaugh. At this point, losing a SC seat is not his biggest potential loss. His reputation is shredded and his existing court seat and possibly freedom are at risk. He needs to seriously consider getting himself out of the news.

Seems a bit late for that. If he didn't do what is alleged, I certainly would do what he is doing. He has no choice. And if I did, I would have asked that my name be withdrawn at the first indication that any of this was surfacing. In fact, I would have deemed seeking the SCOTUS seat far too risky myself.

I really have trouble believing the gang rape charge myself. Now K is 19, and in college. If he did, he is a true redux of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

Based on the wording of the statement (& Avanatii's response when asked about the gang rape specifics, etc)... I think when Avanatii &/ or his client are pressed to clarify ... the accusation is that Kavanaugh was "involved in" & "present" during the gang rape.  And the timing would've been his Jr & Sr Years of High School.

... but the involved in is alleging that Kavanaugh was involved in helping get the girls drunk, spiking the "punch" etc.  (had Kavanaugh been involved specifically in the act of raping his client ... it would have been very clearly and specifically stated).

Also- the implication was via Avanatii interview today- that She does know the names other the "guys" very well.  I'm not sure if Judge was one of the guys involved in Train raping her (putting something in her drink so she was to a point not to be able to give consent).

...BTW- I'm in no what saying getting the girls drunk for some of his other friends to rape... is any better than the rape itself... I'm just clarifying what my understanding of what the specific claim is based on the Avanatii interview a few minutes ago.

By my reading, the allegation is twofold:

1) She saw boys lining up to participate in gang rape of other girls. Those explicitly included Kavanaugh (also Mark Judge). ---- That is an accusation, under penalty of perjury, that Kavanaugh committed rape.

2) She herself was gang raped in this way (but this does not explicitly name Kavanaugh as one of the boys that raped her). I don't know this, but would guess/surmise that maybe she doesn't remember exactly who it was who gang raped her, herself, because her drink had obviously been spiked (in the same way, however, as she earlier describes Kavanaugh and Judge as having participated in spiking drinks).
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1205 on: September 26, 2018, 11:21:45 AM »

Oh boy, it's gonna get worse:

libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1206 on: September 26, 2018, 11:22:43 AM »

The next six weeks are going to be a mess.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1207 on: September 26, 2018, 11:23:39 AM »

The above I think is a fair summary, except that I suppose K while in the line, dropped out before his turn, so no rape by him personally. But that is a nitpick. Obviously with this latest hit, the claims are going to need to be run down, because if any of it is true, K is in serious legal trouble, above and beyond his nomination. And if the hearing goes forward tomorrow, K will obviously be asked in detail about all of this. When might Swetnick be available to be interviewed?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1208 on: September 26, 2018, 11:25:05 AM »

I think this new affidavit makes the stakes much more serious for Kavanaugh. At this point, losing a SC seat is not his biggest potential loss. His reputation is shredded and his existing court seat and possibly freedom are at risk. He needs to seriously consider getting himself out of the news.

Seems a bit late for that. If he didn't do what is alleged, I certainly would do what he is doing. He has no choice. And if I did, I would have asked that my name be withdrawn at the first indication that any of this was surfacing. In fact, I would have deemed seeking the SCOTUS seat far too risky myself.

I really have trouble believing the gang rape charge myself. Now K is 19, and in college. If he did, he is a true redux of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. And who else was allegedly involved besides Judge and K, or are those the only two perps that the accuser remembers?

On what basis don’t you believe it, though?

This is what some bad people are like—they present as people you would never believe it about. There is a stampede of testimony that he was, at best, a sexist drunk. One thing I learned in reading about the Nazis is that you shouldn’t expect the bad guys to be Mr. Hyde. They are normal.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1209 on: September 26, 2018, 11:28:04 AM »

If Trump continues to double down, it won't matter if Kav is rejected in an up-or-down vote.  The fact that the President, certain Senators, certain Senatorial candidates, etc. stood by him, will be used in ads across the country.  The damage has been done.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1210 on: September 26, 2018, 11:29:41 AM »

This’ll be fun. Even before the hearings tomorrow.
Florida Man for Crime
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1211 on: September 26, 2018, 11:30:38 AM »

The above I think is a fair summary, except that I suppose K while in the line, dropped out before his turn, so no rape by him personally.

Where are you getting that idea from? I don't see that in the statement, unless I am missing something?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1212 on: September 26, 2018, 11:31:10 AM »

I just have trouble believing that someone in K's position could be that evil and sociopathic given his "facade."  (He just doesn't come across like Trump  does, where any charge would seem plausible.)  Obviously, I have no idea where the truth lies, and prefer to await the testimony. But this latest charge would take time to work through, to see if it has any impeaching holes in it. The Pubs are really in the cross hairs now. How do they get through this without angering their base, and without the clock running out, and without an electoral disaster?
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1213 on: September 26, 2018, 11:32:12 AM »

The next six weeks are going to be a mess.

I cannot believe they are this idiotic.
Kavanaugh could have been withdrawn weeks ago and few would've remembered this.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #1214 on: September 26, 2018, 11:34:50 AM »

I just have trouble believing that someone in K's position could be that evil and sociopathic given his "facade."  (He just doesn't come across like Trump  does, where any charge would seem plausible.)  Obviously, I have no idea where the truth lies, and prefer to await the testimony. But this latest charge would take time to work through, to see if it has any impeaching holes in it. The Pubs are really in the cross hairs now. How do they get through this without angering their base, and without the clock running out, and without an electoral disaster?
"Don't judge a book by it's cover".
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1215 on: September 26, 2018, 11:35:20 AM »

If Trump continues to double down, it won't matter if Kav is rejected in an up-or-down vote.  The fact that the President, certain Senators, certain Senatorial candidates, etc. stood by him, will be used in ads across the country.  The damage has been done.

Agreed. The only winner from a failed vote on the Republican side is Susan Collins (assuming she votes No), and, even then, only if she plans to seek reelection in 2020.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1216 on: September 26, 2018, 11:36:34 AM »

Right - on the basis of this affidavit, Maryland police could put a warrant out for his arrest given the lack of a statute of limitations on rape and accessory crimes in Maryland. I don't know that they will, but I have to assume the grandstanding Avenatti is at least in contact with someone in Maryland law enforcement.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1217 on: September 26, 2018, 11:37:20 AM »

The above I think is a fair summary, except that I suppose K while in the line, dropped out before his turn, so no rape by him personally.

Where are you getting that idea from? I don't see that in the statement, unless I am missing something?

I read the affidavit again, and she states she saw K in line, not that she saw him take his turn. Again, that makes no difference here legally or in any other way, given the balance of what she charges.
Florida Man for Crime
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1218 on: September 26, 2018, 11:38:44 AM »

https://newrepublic.com/article/123157/what-rapist-can-look-actually

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1219 on: September 26, 2018, 11:43:03 AM »

At this point, it is clear that Kavanaugh's nomination needs to be withdrawn. This latest allegation appears to be the most serious and the most plausible of the three. While I am still not willing to go to the extent that many on here have gone, I fully support investigating this, and, if there is credence lent to it, going for any course of legal action as needed.
SCNCmod

« Reply #1220 on: September 26, 2018, 11:44:15 AM »

I really have trouble believing the gang rape charge myself. Now K is 19, and in college. If he did, he is a true redux of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

Based on the wording of the statement (& Avanatii's response when asked about the gang rape specifics, etc)... I think when Avanatii &/ or his client are pressed to clarify ... the accusation is that Kavanaugh was "involved in" & "present" during the gang rape.  And the timing would've been his Jr & Sr Years of High School.

... but the involved in is alleging that Kavanaugh was involved in helping get the girls drunk, spiking the "punch" etc.  (had Kavanaugh been involved specifically in the act of raping his client ... it would have been very clearly and specifically stated).

Also- the implication was via Avanatii interview today- that She does know the names other the "guys" very well.  I'm not sure if Judge was one of the guys involved in Train raping her (putting something in her drink so she was to a point not to be able to give consent).

...BTW- I'm in no what saying getting the girls drunk for some of his other friends to rape... is any better than the rape itself... I'm just clarifying what my understanding of what the specific claim is based on the Avanatii interview a few minutes ago.

By my reading, the allegation is twofold:

1) She saw boys lining up to participate in gang rape of other girls. Those explicitly included Kavanaugh (also Mark Judge). ---- That is an accusation, under penalty of perjury, that Kavanaugh committed rape.

2) She herself was gang raped in this way (but this does not explicitly name Kavanaugh as one of the boys that raped her). I don't know this, but would guess/surmise that maybe she doesn't remember exactly who it was who gang raped her, herself, because her drink had obviously been spiked (in the same way, however, as she earlier describes Kavanaugh and Judge as having participated in spiking drinks).

I agree with both of the points you made... although based on the letter she said she saw Kavanaugh..."in line" ... rather than "in the room"  "going in the room" or rather than outright saying "Kavanaugh actually had sex/raped one of these "train" victims.  (which she would have probably said specifically IMO).........But to me this makes her statement even more believable....saying he was definitely complicit and helped to facilitate these Train Rapes... along with grouping and grinding on girls when Drunk, etc... Without Specifically and absolutely claiming that Kavanaugh definitely Raped the girls etc.  (again- one action is a bad as the other... but she seems to be sticking to what she is sure of).

.................I'm also probably one of the only people that think his Virgin claim is most likely true  (as being a virgin is actually very much in keeping with all of the allegation the 3 women have made against him... and all seem to almost describe the actions of someone who is sexually awkward/ inexperienced.... they were all actions done with other people in the room vs in an intimate setting.  So I could see the only child Virgin who is a belligerent drunk who assaulted/molested  girls & zero respect for girls in general ...being perfectly consistent.  (even if he was different once he got married and had daughters etc).. But Definitely still a liar!
IndustrialJustice

« Reply #1221 on: September 26, 2018, 11:50:13 AM »

This is embarrassingly naive.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1222 on: September 26, 2018, 11:50:29 AM »

The only way Kavanaugh can clear his name is for Mark Judge to be subpoenaed
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1223 on: September 26, 2018, 11:50:57 AM »

Gasoline, meet fire.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1224 on: September 26, 2018, 11:51:22 AM »

Gasoline, meet fire.

I have so many familiar GIFs coming to mind now.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 ... 58  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies