Virginia HoD Redraw Thread - SCOTUS will not stop map drawing
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 07, 2024, 04:26:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Virginia HoD Redraw Thread - SCOTUS will not stop map drawing
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Author Topic: Virginia HoD Redraw Thread - SCOTUS will not stop map drawing  (Read 10866 times)
henster
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2018, 08:40:06 PM »

For states that do off year elections like VA , can they do ballot measures in the state elections? Putting independent redistricting on the ballot for next fall could be a smart move. I honestly think any D gubernatorial candidate between now and '20 should be hammering the hell out of running on independent redistricing. Especially Edwards and Cooper.

This is the process to pass it, amendments are pretty complicated. That's why its so rare for them to make it to the ballot.

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2018, 08:53:18 PM »

The problem is, unless Republicans can wise up and come to the conclusion that their days drawing the maps in Virginia are more or less finished, there is no way that amendment passes this year or even in 2019. At least up to this point, there has been no signs they are open to creating a fair process for redistricting, and I think they even shot down a redistricting reform bill earlier this year.

That means that the best Democrats could do, if they flip the legislature in 2019, is pass it in 2020, then they have to pass it again in 2021, and it would appear on the ballot in 2022, long after the maps are redrawn. However, technically Democrats could pass a regular bill creating an independent commission, but it could be repealed just the same too. I'm a little skeptical that Democrats in the legislature are going to pass actual reform, but I could just be pessimistic. Redistricting brings out the worst in politicians. It's far too powerful of a process to allow partisan actors to have any significant hand in, and it's perplexing how the framers didn't see this from the get-go (or did but foolishly left it in their hands anyway).
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2018, 04:12:26 PM »

The problem is, unless Republicans can wise up and come to the conclusion that their days drawing the maps in Virginia are more or less finished, there is no way that amendment passes this year or even in 2019. At least up to this point, there has been no signs they are open to creating a fair process for redistricting, and I think they even shot down a redistricting reform bill earlier this year.

That means that the best Democrats could do, if they flip the legislature in 2019, is pass it in 2020, then they have to pass it again in 2021, and it would appear on the ballot in 2022, long after the maps are redrawn. However, technically Democrats could pass a regular bill creating an independent commission, but it could be repealed just the same too. I'm a little skeptical that Democrats in the legislature are going to pass actual reform, but I could just be pessimistic. Redistricting brings out the worst in politicians. It's far too powerful of a process to allow partisan actors to have any significant hand in, and it's perplexing how the framers didn't see this from the get-go (or did but foolishly left it in their hands anyway).
I dont think they ever imagined it could be so polarized.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2018, 07:50:35 AM »

Democrats must gerrymander Virginia to their own benefit after 2020. Stop talking about a nonpartisan redistricting commission.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2018, 08:30:19 AM »

Democrats must gerrymander Virginia to their own benefit after 2020. Stop talking about a nonpartisan redistricting commission.

no
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2018, 08:43:22 AM »

My opinion for Virginia is fair maps for the state legislature, but a cleanish gerrymander for the Congressional map. Democrats have to match what's going to happen in KY, MO, and TN for the next cycle and say no to unilateral disarmament.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2018, 08:44:20 AM »
« Edited: October 12, 2018, 08:55:09 AM by Zaybay »

no

Why not? If the Dems want to have any chance of keeping the house, such measures must be taken against an increasingly underhanded opposition. Should the Democrats really tie their hands behind their back in their battle with the GOP? I say no.

Trying to take the high road in this dispute will lead to us losing elections, and handed the GOP the House on a silver platter. We cannot let this happen.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2018, 08:53:31 AM »

The Republicans can have a fair map in Virginia when Democrats get a fair map in North Carolina...
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2018, 09:23:53 AM »

The Republicans can have a fair map in Virginia when Democrats get a fair map in North Carolina...
Florida Man for Crime
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2018, 09:50:49 AM »

Yes, the only solution to the problem of gerrymandering, apart from the SCOTUS stepping up to actually do its job, would be a national/inter-state agreement. If every state is just doing its own thing, then if Democrats just decide to be enlightened do-gooders taking the high road while Republicans continue to gerrymander, the overall result ends up being a Republican gerrymander on a national level.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2018, 10:02:14 AM »

no

Why not? If the Dems want to have any chance of keeping the house, such measures must be taken against an increasingly underhanded opposition. Should the Democrats really tie their hands behind their back in their battle with the GOP? I say no.

Trying to take the high road in this dispute will lead to us losing elections, and handed the GOP the House on a silver platter. We cannot let this happen.

I was mostly saying "no" to Solid saying "stop talking about nonpartisan redistricting commission." I mean, why? Why should we not talk about it? Solid can be partisan af sometimes and it can be off-putting, as he always talks as if that is THE way and everyone else is wrong and that is it, end of discussion. And I say this as a pretty partisan person myself.

I kind of like Gass3268's idea. I agree that unilateral disarmament is pretty stupid given Republicans seem pro-whatever-wins-them-elections, which has included voter suppression, court packing (and other judiciary-related power grabs) and insane levels of gerrymandering. Democrats need to take the gloves off and fight back until this fight is settled.

But let's be clear about something. As far as I am concerned, gerrymandering is election rigging. It's just fancier than stuffing ballot boxes or creative Jim Crow-like ideas. Gerrymandering constantly gets talked about as if it's just some normal event that we all hate but can't seem to stop. The reality is that it is greedy, corrupt politicians rigging elections so they can cling to power regardless of what the people want. It is something that belongs in 3rd world countries, not America. And the fact that we can't seem to end something so blatantly corrupt is just amazing.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2018, 10:09:54 AM »

Still a bad trade because NC has more CDs than VA does. But I guess having two pretty safe D seats in the Senate over two lean R seats makes up for it? Congress is weird.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2018, 10:10:15 AM »

no

I was mostly saying "no" to Solid saying "stop talking about nonpartisan redistricting commission." I mean, why? Why should we not talk about it? Solid can be partisan af sometimes and it can be off-putting, as he always talks as if that is THE way and everyone else is wrong and that is it, end of discussion. And I say this as a pretty partisan person myself.

I kind of like Gass3268's idea. I agree that unilateral disarmament is pretty stupid given Republicans seem pro-whatever-wins-them-elections, which has included voter suppression, court packing (and other judiciary-related power grabs) and insane levels of gerrymandering. Democrats need to take the gloves off and fight back until this fight is settled.

But let's be clear about something. As far as I am concerned, gerrymandering is election rigging. It's just fancier than stuffing ballot boxes or creative Jim Crow-like ideas. Gerrymandering constantly gets talked about as if it's just some normal event that we all hate but can't seem to stop. The reality is that it is greedy, corrupt politicians rigging elections so they can cling to power regardless of what the people want. It is something that belongs in 3rd world countries, not America. And the fact that we can't seem to end something so blatantly corrupt is just amazing.

This, so much this.

The unfortunate thing is that I suspect if Dems gain the trifecta, the pro-gerry side will outweigh the anti-gerry side. Incumbents in red seats like VA-07 want protection, passing reforms in VA take time as shown above, and this dem legislature has no problem with gerrys - see the Senate map.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2018, 10:11:43 AM »

no

This, so much this.

The unfortunate thing is that I suspect if Dems gain the trifecta, the pro-gerry side will outweigh the anti-gerry side. Incumbents in red seats like VA-07 want protection, passing reforms in VA take time as shown above, and this dem legislature has no problem with gerrys - see the Senate map.

Good. Perhaps then we wont need to get a GCB of 6-8 to win the house.
Florida Man for Crime
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2018, 10:54:34 AM »
« Edited: October 12, 2018, 11:04:17 AM by Cruz Will Win 👁 »

no

This, so much this.

This, so much this.

The conclusion being, however, the opposite of yours - that Dems need to take off the gloves and go all-out. Draw a 26-0 map in New York. Abolish the independent redistricting commission in California (find a way, using whatever means necessary) and draw a 53-0 map. Draw a 17-0 map in Illinois.

ONLY after that will Dems have the leverage to force Republicans to come to the table and agree to a fair, enforceable national system for Congressional elections. Anything much short of that, and Republicans will simply continue to gerrymander regardless of whether Dems want to stop in blue states.

Your preferred course of action of simply tying Dems hands in blue states while allowing Republicans free reign in red states will simply lead to Republicans continuing to rig elections in states where they control the process in perpetuity, which means Dems will permanently have to win, as Zaybay says, with a GCB+7 or whatever to control the house.

On this issue, we have much to learn from Ronald Reagan. Peace through strength. Time for an unprecedented arms buildup - that is the only way to bring the Soviets (Republicans) to the table for an agreement of MUTUAL, rather than UNILATERAL one-sided disarmament. The analogy here to nuclear arms limitation is exactly the right one, because like nukes can destroy the world, gerrymandering can destroy democracy.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2018, 10:58:04 AM »

no

This, so much this.

I don't really see what good it does when it's "only" the democrats that want to give up power and end gerrymandering when Republicans everywhere just continue business as usual.   We already have commissions in states like California, Washington, and New Jersey....the only solid R state (that matters anyway) that has the same so far is Arizona, and that was through a ballot proposal. 

We have absolutely no guarantee that Democrats putting up commissions in states will encourage Republicans elsewhere to do the same.   Until they put out somewhere on their own I say push ahead with the D gerrymanders.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2018, 11:22:00 AM »

no

This, so much this.

This, so much this.

The conclusion being, however, the opposite of yours - that Dems need to take off the gloves and go all-out. Draw a 26-0 map in New York. Abolish the independent redistricting commission in California (find a way, using whatever means necessary) and draw a 53-0 map. Draw a 17-0 map in Illinois.

ONLY after that will Dems have the leverage to force Republicans to come to the table and agree to a fair, enforceable national system for Congressional elections. Anything much short of that, and Republicans will simply continue to gerrymander regardless of whether Dems want to stop in blue states.

Your preferred course of action of simply tying Dems hands in blue states while allowing Republicans free reign in red states will simply lead to Republicans continuing to rig elections in states where they control the process in perpetuity, which means Dems will permanently have to win, as Zaybay says, with a GCB+7 or whatever to control the house.

On this issue, we have much to learn from Ronald Reagan. Peace through strength. Time for an unprecedented arms buildup - that is the only way to bring the Soviets (Republicans) to the table for an agreement of MUTUAL, rather than UNILATERAL one-sided disarmament. The analogy here to nuclear arms limitation is exactly the right one, because like nukes can destroy the world, gerrymandering can destroy democracy.

Exactly! This is what the Dems should do! We are at a permanent disadvantage if we do not take off the gloves.

The optimal plan would be to get a trifecta on NY, MN, VA, PA, CO, NM, IA, and NV, while blocking R gerrymanders in UT, MI, WI, OH, NC, GA, and FL by 2020. This would force the Rs into a minority that only a wave could get them out of. Doing this would cause Rs to suddenly go "what garbage is this? Gerrymandering sucks now!", which will bring more to the table. That is the goal.

Funny, only gerrymandering can stop gerrymandering.
UncleSam

« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2018, 12:39:43 PM »

no

This, so much this.

This, so much this.

The main issue with this is that it is impossible. Because districts need to be contiguous and state governments only have so much budget to put individual precincts into a district, there's just no way to gerrymander these states nearly to the extent you describe. Rs are simply much more efficiently distributed than Ds are, and frankly the Ds in Safe D seats don't want to be redistricted into Lean or Likely D seats just so that there can be one or two extra total D seats in the state.

As things are, the maps are very favorable to Democrats in these states - perhaps Rs could be drawn out of an extra CD or two in New York and Illinois and maybe 3-4 in California, but you wouldn't be able to get anywhere close to a perfect sweep in these states with a map that could be employed by the state government in an effective manner.

I do think that ultimately a system similar to that in Kentucky will be adopted nationally, which will ease most of the concerns of gerrymandering.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2018, 07:30:49 PM »

no
Florida Man for Crime
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #69 on: October 12, 2018, 10:49:16 PM »

The main issue with this is that it is impossible. Because districts need to be contiguous and state governments only have so much budget to put individual precincts into a district, there's just no way to gerrymander these states nearly to the extent you describe. Rs are simply much more efficiently distributed than Ds are, and frankly the Ds in Safe D seats don't want to be redistricted into Lean or Likely D seats just so that there can be one or two extra total D seats in the state.

As things are, the maps are very favorable to Democrats in these states - perhaps Rs could be drawn out of an extra CD or two in New York and Illinois and maybe 3-4 in California, but you wouldn't be able to get anywhere close to a perfect sweep in these states with a map that could be employed by the state government in an effective manner.

I do think that ultimately a system similar to that in Kentucky will be adopted nationally, which will ease most of the concerns of gerrymandering.

I believe you are right that contiguity is a requirement (of the Apportionment Act of 1842). That is a constraint, but it just means that the districts have to look pretty ugly. For example:

You could in principle make slightly more "moderate" gerrymanders and concede a seat or 2 here and there. But in this case, if the map enrages Republicans and helps them to realize that gerrymandering is election rigging and has no place in our form of government, then that is a feature, not a bug. Gerrymandering is election rigging - as has been said above, it is no better than ballot-box stuffing. It should outrage Republicans that there is not a single district in these states in which they can elect the candidates of their choice - it is a perversion of the idea of a "republican form of government" that the Constitution guarantees for each state (something which, sadly, is not enforced). Although millions of people in those states will want to vote for Republicans, their votes will all be meaningless.

Indeed, in the ideal scenario this gerrymander would be grotesque enough to cause the Supreme Court to strike it down and rule that partisan gerrymandering is unconstitutional. In the case of New York and California, it is the same thing. You just have basically every district snaking into Los Angeles, the San Francisco Bay area, or New York City respectively.

The Apportionment Act also provides the ultimate solution - once Dems have a Trifecta, they need to pass a new updated national Apportionment Act that outlaws gerrymandering and replaces it with some sort of fair, neutral, and uniform election system. Personally I would favor moving away from a system based only on geographical districts, because of the difficulty of doing so in a way that is truly neutral and results in election results actually reflecting the preferences of voters. The specifics of defining gerrymandering and setting the ways that members of Congress would be elected under the reformed system are of course somewhat complicated and up for debate/discussion, but it is clear that Congress has the power to set uniform and fair national standards for Congressional elections in this way.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: October 13, 2018, 11:34:40 AM »

^ Would a map like that actually hold up in an R wave? Republicans over-performed rather significantly during the Obama era, to the point where they came within a few points of winning the House popular vote in 2014, and somewhat less close in 2010. So it's not like Democrats can rely on a certain level of support in bad years, outside of maybe a guarantee that they at least win the popular vote.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #71 on: October 13, 2018, 11:43:08 AM »

Among other things, Democrats should slice Staten Island (Richmond County, New York) into 2 Districts to dilute the power of Republican votes there when it comes to 2020 redistricting.
Florida Man for Crime
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #72 on: October 13, 2018, 02:10:54 PM »

^ Would a map like that actually hold up in an R wave? Republicans over-performed rather significantly during the Obama era, to the point where they came within a few points of winning the House popular vote in 2014, and somewhat less close in 2010. So it's not like Democrats can rely on a certain level of support in bad years, outside of maybe a guarantee that they at least win the popular vote.

I don't know, I didn't draw that map so I am not sure of the particular numbers. For that reason, maybe you want to give up 1 seat or so, though. But regardless, the point is really that Dems could be much more aggressive even in a state like Illinois, where they already gerrymandered quite a bit.
Florida Man for Crime
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #73 on: October 13, 2018, 02:12:59 PM »

Among other things, Democrats should slice Staten Island (Richmond County, New York) into 2 Districts to dilute the power of Republican votes there when it comes to 2020 redistricting.

It is a simple matter to make the Staten Island district Safe Dem (60%+ Dem or so) even without splitting Staten Island. You just draw it in to either lower Manhattan or into Park Slope, instead of drawing it in to southern Brooklyn.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #74 on: October 18, 2018, 04:01:58 PM »

He's a professor at UC-Irvine and he did the 2015 redraw of the congressional map.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies