Virginia HoD Redraw Thread - SCOTUS will not stop map drawing
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:29:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Virginia HoD Redraw Thread - SCOTUS will not stop map drawing
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: Virginia HoD Redraw Thread - SCOTUS will not stop map drawing  (Read 10754 times)
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2018, 04:35:06 PM »

The Republican map affected 30 districts, while the Democrat's map affected 29.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2018, 01:59:49 PM »

You have got to be f'ing kidding me:

Va. House GOP introducing new redistricting plan with some Democratic support

https://www.richmond.com/news/virginia/government-politics/exclusive-va-house-gop-introducing-new-redistricting-plan-with-some/article_22b9f4ec-dd94-54bf-8f55-d7bd793890ee.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The entire reason Democrats do not control the HoD right now is because greedy lawmakers agreed to a bipartisan gerrymander where Republicans got to run wild with their own HoD map in exchange for a flimsy state Senate Dem gerrymander. Now is not the time to do another phony "bipartisan" incumbent protection map. Force the court to draw one and it'll almost definitely be better for Democrats in 2019, where they can flip the House of Delegates. Northam should refuse to sign any bipartisan incumbent protection map. Democrats are the rising force in Virginia, and they hold all the cards right now. Agreeing to such a Republican scheme is weak, stupid and goes against the wishes of the thousands of activists and voters who gave life to so many Democratic delegates in 2017.

And lol @ Republicans demanding a new map not advantage any side over the other. The entire reason for their racial gerrymandering was to advantage their party, so any remedial map by definition must advantage Democrats.

At any rate, even if somehow a selfish incumbent protection map is passed, Democrats can probably still flip the HoD in 2019, so long as 2019 target seats are not made more Republican.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2018, 02:11:50 PM »

Just me nitpicking the article

1. The article doesnt state how many D reps. actually support the bill, only naming 2 it looks like. Its very possible that not that many are joining on, or that most Ds are joining on, we cant be sure.

2. The Ds that did support the measure did make something clear. This proposal wouldnt effect 2021 redistricting. So its very possible that, perhaps, they are trying to build good will with the public.

But this is truly an HP move on the VADEMs part. There is no reason to not just throw it to the courts. I hope Northam lays down the law on these reps.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2018, 02:39:24 PM »

Yea, I mean, it's far from a given right now, but I always get antsy when this sort of things starts to take shape, especially since Democrats already did it once before, not to mention other state examples, like New York.

I think it's probably unlikely that enough would support a veto override, especially if Northam comes out strongly against it, but we'll see. This may end up amounting to nothing in the end. Hopefully.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2018, 02:52:57 PM »

Yea, I mean, it's far from a given right now, but I always get antsy when this sort of things starts to take shape, especially since Democrats already did it once before, not to mention other state examples, like New York.

I think it's probably unlikely that enough would support a veto override, especially if Northam comes out strongly against it, but we'll see. This may end up amounting to nothing in the end. Hopefully.

Interestingly this map uses the Democrat's map as the base. I think I read 7-8 of the effected 11 seats come directly from the Democratic proposed map. So many times politicians care more protecting their incumbency than even gerrymandering against the other party or especially a fair map. Still hopes Northam chooses to veto anything that comes out of the legislature and not read this as "bipartisan."
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2018, 03:37:53 PM »

Interestingly this map uses the Democrat's map as the base. I think I read 7-8 of the effected 11 seats come directly from the Democratic proposed map. So many times politicians care more protecting their incumbency than even gerrymandering against the other party or especially a fair map. Still hopes Northam chooses to veto anything that comes out of the legislature and not read this as "bipartisan."

It's also pointless for Democrats to do this because almost all the seats they won are not at a high risk of flipping back in 2019. Virginia is likely to get hit with another wave and that will easily protect Democratic incumbents. Although I guess to some of these people, they won't be satisfied unless they get themselves a double-digit Clinton seat or better.

Frankly, the Democrats delegates who have expressed even a small amount of support for this scheme should be primaried regardless if they end up pulling their support or not, just to make an example of them.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2018, 03:33:04 PM »

Any Democrat who signs off on a Republican gerrymander should be expelled from the party. It's long past time to stop tolerating this type of nonsense.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2018, 03:50:23 PM »

Any Democrat who signs off on a Republican gerrymander should be expelled from the party. It's long past time to stop tolerating this type of nonsense.

Many years ago, when Tom Delay was House Majority Leader....he was asked in an interview why was the Republican Party moving so far to the right. His response was: "Because the Democrats let us."

Republicans know Democrats will let them get away with this stuff without punishment.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2018, 04:08:33 PM »
« Edited: October 03, 2018, 11:36:25 PM by politicalmasta73 »

do they have to use 2010 data for the redraw?
BBD
Big Bad Don

« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2018, 05:53:17 PM »

You have got to be f'ing kidding me:

Va. House GOP introducing new redistricting plan with some Democratic support

https://www.richmond.com/news/virginia/government-politics/exclusive-va-house-gop-introducing-new-redistricting-plan-with-some/article_22b9f4ec-dd94-54bf-8f55-d7bd793890ee.html

The entire reason Democrats do not control the HoD right now is because greedy lawmakers agreed to a bipartisan gerrymander where Republicans got to run wild with their own HoD map in exchange for a flimsy state Senate Dem gerrymander. Now is not the time to do another phony "bipartisan" incumbent protection map. Force the court to draw one and it'll almost definitely be better for Democrats in 2019, where they can flip the House of Delegates. Northam should refuse to sign any bipartisan incumbent protection map. Democrats are the rising force in Virginia, and they hold all the cards right now. Agreeing to such a Republican scheme is weak, stupid and goes against the wishes of the thousands of activists and voters who gave life to so many Democratic delegates in 2017.

And lol @ Republicans demanding a new map not advantage any side over the other. The entire reason for their racial gerrymandering was to advantage their party, so any remedial map by definition must advantage Democrats.

At any rate, even if somehow a selfish incumbent protection map is passed, Democrats can probably still flip the HoD in 2019, so long as 2019 target seats are not made more Republican.

What can you say? Controlled opposition. The Democratic Party is god damn worthless.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2018, 10:04:08 AM »

Northam will veto any map that comes out of the legislature, wants the courts to do the redraw:

Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2018, 11:04:47 AM »

Northam will veto any map that comes out of the legislature, wants the courts to do the redraw:

Thank god, Northam has a spine! Funny, I remember back in 2017 when he was believed to be rather spineless, looks like those rumors can be put to rest.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2018, 01:27:40 PM »

Wonderful news!
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2018, 08:33:05 PM »

Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2018, 11:36:34 PM »

do they have to use 2010 data for the redraw?
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2018, 11:52:56 PM »

Yes.
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2018, 11:59:41 PM »

Yes. Anyone who does this should be permanently stripped of any committee assignments, permanently denied any access to funds from Democratic organizations such as the DLCC and any state-level equivalents, blacklisted from things like Act Blue, etc.

Even if doing the above causes some short term political damage (maybe causing a few such people to switch parties, or whatever else), it is better to take that damage in this case than to allow this.

Of course, primary challenges should be encouraged against anyone who does this.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2018, 12:51:54 AM »

FF!
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2018, 12:54:02 AM »

FF!
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2018, 04:04:32 PM »

FF!

But Atlas told me that Northam was a DINO, so it didn’t matter whether he won.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2018, 04:13:19 PM »

FF!

But Atlas told me that Northam was a DINO, so it didn’t matter whether he won.

He’s arguably been a better/more effective Governor in 9 months than T-Mac was in 4 years
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2018, 11:43:46 PM »

For states that do off year elections like VA , can they do ballot measures in the state elections? Putting independent redistricting on the ballot for next fall could be a smart move. I honestly think any D gubernatorial candidate between now and '20 should be hammering the hell out of running on independent redistricing. Especially Edwards and Cooper.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2018, 01:55:00 AM »

For states that do off year elections like VA , can they do ballot measures in the state elections? Putting independent redistricting on the ballot for next fall could be a smart move. I honestly think any D gubernatorial candidate between now and '20 should be hammering the hell out of running on independent redistricing. Especially Edwards and Cooper.

The next gubernatorial campaign isn't until 2021, so it would be up to Northam. He said he wanted an independent commission, but we'll have to see what Democrats in the legislature want to do if/when they take over, and it's likely they'll take over following the 2019 legislative elections.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2018, 05:42:26 AM »

Doing so after 2019 is the equivalent of trying to fight the GOP with both hands tied behind your back.
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2018, 10:17:53 AM »

The next gubernatorial campaign isn't until 2021, so it would be up to Northam. He said he wanted an independent commission, but we'll have to see what Democrats in the legislature want to do if/when they take over, and it's likely they'll take over following the 2019 legislative elections.

Yeah, they could always do it as a bill if/when they take over both houses next fall.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies