CT Megathread: Stefanowski skips first debate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:35:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  CT Megathread: Stefanowski skips first debate
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: CT Megathread: Stefanowski skips first debate  (Read 2245 times)
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2018, 07:43:13 PM »

I like how Malloy never had approval ratings over 50% in his first term and he still won re-election by a few points during a Republican wave year.

Likely D.

Because of Joe Visconti and the fact that Tom Foley was an awful candidate. But he's a lot more unpopular now than even then, and Bob is far from feckless like Foley was.
choclatechip45
Rookie

« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2018, 08:06:27 PM »

I like how Malloy never had approval ratings over 50% in his first term and he still won re-election by a few points during a Republican wave year.

Likely D.

Because of Joe Visconti and the fact that Tom Foley was an awful candidate. But he's a lot more unpopular now than even then, and Bob is far from feckless like Foley was.

The republicans haven't learned much from Foley's defeat tbh. They nominated a payday executive and decided to go more to the right in a state Trump lost by double digits.
choclatechip45
Rookie

« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2018, 08:10:04 PM »

Nope. Not welcoming the endorsement would make it a bigger issue and cause a wedge with his base. There's a difference between your average anti-Trump Greenwich voter and a pro-Trump supporter from Watertown. Both places exist within the same state.

Ask Dan Carter or Linda McMahon or any republican in the last 10 years how well they did just courting the Watertown Republican voter.  The republicans base in the state is small. If Republicans want to win they have to court democrats and independents which is something republicans in
CT don't get.
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2018, 08:17:36 PM »

Nope. Not welcoming the endorsement would make it a bigger issue and cause a wedge with his base. There's a difference between your average anti-Trump Greenwich voter and a pro-Trump supporter from Watertown. Both places exist within the same state.

He's still very unpopular in the state.  Malloy may be even more so, but Lamont at least is distancing himself from Malloy and is using his last gubernatorial campaign to contrast.  Republicans won't win a statewide race in the Northeast by tying themselves to Trump.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2018, 08:17:36 PM »

Ask Dan Carter or Linda McMahon or any republican in the last 10 years how well they did just courting the Watertown Republican voter.  The republicans base in the state is small. If Republicans want to win they have to court democrats and independents which is something republicans in
CT don't get.

Oh, I think Stefanowski does get that he has to reach out to Independents and certain Democrats to win (those with Trump Derangement Syndrome need not apply). But not accepting the Trump endorsement would make it an even bigger issue than it already is. You don't get into a war with the leader of your party, however unpopular he may be in the state - it just doesn't work out well to get into a feud. You say thank you and try to move on - and then try to hang the even more unpopular Democratic governor around your opponent's neck.

Lamont is the favorite to win CT Gov right now. But nothing is guaranteed. It is nowhere close to Safe D, as some Democratic hacks on this website would want you to believe.
choclatechip45
Rookie

« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2018, 08:37:27 PM »

Ask Dan Carter or Linda McMahon or any republican in the last 10 years how well they did just courting the Watertown Republican voter.  The republicans base in the state is small. If Republicans want to win they have to court democrats and independents which is something republicans in
CT don't get.

Oh, I think Stefanowski does get that he has to reach out to Independents and certain Democrats to win (those with Trump Derangement Syndrome need not apply). But not accepting the Trump endorsement would make it an even bigger issue than it already is. You don't get into a war with the leader of your party, however unpopular he may be in the state - it just doesn't work out well to get into a feud. You say thank you and try to move on - and then try to hang the even more unpopular Democratic governor around your opponent's neck.

Lamont is the favorite to win CT Gov right now. But nothing is guaranteed. It is nowhere close to Safe D, as some Democratic hacks on this website would want you to believe.

I agree I would not put it at Safe D.  I think the safest play would be to follow Charlie Baker's lead. Granted if Stefanowski was anything like Baker this race would be lean R. For whatever reason the CT republicans are trying to hitch their ride to trump.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2018, 09:37:35 PM »

Wait, people here actually thought this race would be competitive? Lol, Likely D at the very least.

lol garbage opinion

Republicans are more likely to win NH, RI and ME than CT. Lamont probably isn’t going to win in a landslide, but I don’t see how he loses this race. I really hope CT is the only state in New England Republicans lose so that I don’t have to hear about muhhhh Malloy unpopularity anymore.

Muhloy
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2018, 09:54:48 PM »

Wait, people here actually thought this race would be competitive? Lol, Likely D at the very least.

lol garbage opinion

Republicans are more likely to win NH, RI and ME than CT. Lamont probably isn’t going to win in a landslide, but I don’t see how he loses this race. I really hope CT is the only state in New England Republicans lose so that I don’t have to hear about muhhhh Malloy unpopularity anymore.

Muhloy

LMFAO
adrac
adracman42

Political Matrix
E: -9.99, S: -9.99

« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2018, 01:12:14 AM »

lol garbage opinion

Muhloy

LMFAO
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.13

« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2018, 04:34:52 AM »

lol garbage opinion

Muhloy

LMFAO
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2018, 07:54:26 AM »

lol garbage opinion

Muhloy

LMFAO
adrac
adracman42

Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: September 05, 2018, 10:53:13 AM »

http://www.wfsb.com/story/39024838/stephanowski-to-skip-gubernatorial-debate
Avoiding debates is almost never a winning play. Also interested to hear about Oz Griebel's candidacy. I don't expect him to do too well, but a more moderate right-of-center candidate might give Lamont an extra couple of points of cushion.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #62 on: September 05, 2018, 05:05:06 PM »

Avoiding debates is almost never a winning play. Also interested to hear about Oz Griebel's candidacy. I don't expect him to do too well, but a more moderate right-of-center candidate might give Lamont an extra couple of points of cushion.

Did Bob learn NOTHING from when Tom Foley did this in 2014?
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #63 on: September 05, 2018, 05:14:13 PM »

Titanium D
choclatechip45
Rookie

« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2018, 12:12:16 PM »

Nope.
adrac
adracman42

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2018, 08:19:33 PM »

Just got back from tonight's debate. I thought both Griebel and Lamont did well, I'm excited to see Griebel add a couple of points to Lamont's final margin. Lamont got the biggest reaction from the crowd when he first mentioned how he ran against Leiberman in '06, but both Lamont and Greibel got a couple of rises from the crowd. Stefanowski came off really bad. Griebel and Lamont both had energy and specific policy plans, but all Stefanowski had to talk about was Muhlloy. Let's just say it didn't stick.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2018, 09:08:56 PM »

The CT Republican party is right up there with Florida Dems for most incompetent state party in the nation.

Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies