CT Megathread: Stefanowski skips first debate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:40:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  CT Megathread: Stefanowski skips first debate
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: CT Megathread: Stefanowski skips first debate  (Read 2253 times)
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2018, 07:38:52 AM »

Well, i would surely prefer a 3rd place candidate (Stemerman) for governor and 2nd place (Stewart) - for LG. Stefanowski is somewhat "too Reaganish" for my tastes (though i have some fiscal conservative streak myself), and Markley - well, way too much rightist...

Though I really think on the one hand this is going to be about turnout. Markley is a demigod to the far right and if they can stay motivated to put him in office, added to the fact that Eva isn't there to drive up that city turnout, its going to be very close

Markley will turnout democrats and repel independents. You also said Ganim would do well in cities he was crushed in the cities. The race is lean D. It’s kind of amazing how republicans don’t learn their lesson year after year.   There are more independents and Democrats than Republicans in the state.

Here i fully agree. Republicans in Connecticut can't win with Republican vote only. It's not Utah or Idaho. Regretfully, even in Connecticut, where considerable number of moderate Republicans are elected for different offices (state legislature, first of all) there is rightward lean of late. This year governor candidate is, let's say, "moderate conservative", while LG candidate - "solid conservative". IMHO - somewhat "too much" for this state.
adrac
adracman42

Political Matrix
E: -9.99, S: -9.99

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2018, 07:58:45 AM »

I had the Governor's race as Lean D when I still thought there were decent odds the Republicans nominated a sane moderate.
Considering moving it to likely... I don't think someone with views like Stefanowski's is electable here, especially in a midterm with a Republican president.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2018, 08:02:58 AM »

I had the Governor's race as Lean D when I still thought there were decent odds the Republicans nominated a sane moderate.
Considering moving it to likely... I don't think someone with views like Stefanowski's is electable here, especially in a midterm with a Republican president.

With a sane moderate i would have it as Tossup, because Malloy serves as counterbalance to Trump. But with more-or-less conservative - at least Lean D....
choclatechip45
Rookie

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2018, 08:03:39 AM »

Well, i would surely prefer a 3rd place candidate (Stemerman) for governor and 2nd place (Stewart) - for LG. Stefanowski is somewhat "too Reaganish" for my tastes (though i have some fiscal conservative streak myself), and Markley - well, way too much rightist...

Though I really think on the one hand this is going to be about turnout. Markley is a demigod to the far right and if they can stay motivated to put him in office, added to the fact that Eva isn't there to drive up that city turnout, its going to be very close

Markley will turnout democrats and repel independents. You also said Ganim would do well in cities he was crushed in the cities. The race is lean D. It’s kind of amazing how republicans don’t learn their lesson year after year.   There are more independents and Democrats than Republicans in the state.

Here i fully agree. Republicans in Connecticut can't win with Republican vote only. It's not Utah or Idaho. Regretfully, even in Connecticut, where considerable number of moderate Republicans are elected for different offices (state legislature, first of all) there is rightward lean of late. This year governor candidate is, let's say, "moderate conservative", while LG candidate - "solid conservative". IMHO - somewhat "too much" for this state.

If you look at the rest of country were the GOP gained huge numbers during the Obama years it’s actually quite surprising the republicans couldn’t have gained more ground especially with Malloy. It shows how toxic the Republican Party is in the state.  
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2018, 08:07:26 AM »

If you look at the rest of country were the GOP gained huge numbers during the Obama years it’s actually quite surprising the republicans couldn’t have gained more ground especially with Malloy. It shows how toxic the Republican Party is in the state.  

Candidate's qualities still matter. Jodi Rell, IMHO, would win this year governor election rather easily...
choclatechip45
Rookie

« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2018, 08:20:05 AM »

Candidate's qualities still matter. Jodi Rell, IMHO, would win this year governor election rather easily...

Depends which Jodi Rell she was unpopular when she left which is why she never didn’t run for re election. Her LT governor Michael Fedele lost the gubernatorial primary in 2010 and could even win the mayors race in Stamford in 2013 were he was favored.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2018, 08:22:50 AM »

Depends which Jodi Rell she was unpopular when she left which is why she never didn’t run for re election. Her LT governor Michael Fedele lost the gubernatorial primary in 2010 and could even win the mayors race in Stamford in 2013 were he was favored.

It's impossible to be more unpopular then Malloy, IMHO))))
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2018, 08:37:27 AM »

Very good news for CT Democrats. There was probably some ticket of Republicans that could have made this a really competitive race, but Stefanowski/Markley is not that ticket by a long shot. Malloy’s unpopularity opens the door, but not just anyone can walk in. At least Lean D feels appropriate for now, and anyone worried about Dems chances here should feel better with these candidates.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2018, 08:40:01 AM »

Very good news for CT Democrats. There was probably some ticket of Republicans that could have made this a really competitive race, but Stefanowski/Markley is not that ticket by a long shot. Malloy’s unpopularity opens the door, but not just anyone can walk in. At least Lean D feels appropriate for now, and anyone worried about Dems chances here should feel better with these candidates.

What could that "competitive ticket" be?
adrac
adracman42

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2018, 08:41:08 AM »

Boughton/Stewart comes to mind.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2018, 08:45:28 AM »

Boughton/Stewart comes to mind.

Thanks! Interesting, that both of them finished second)))
choclatechip45
Rookie

« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2018, 08:54:21 AM »

It's impossible to be more unpopular then Malloy, IMHO))))

Obviously Malloy was unpopular but she didn’t run for re-election in 2010 because she knew she would lose.
choclatechip45
Rookie

« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2018, 09:00:42 AM »

Trump just endorsed Stefanowski for governor. Good job CT republicans for injecting Trump into the race.
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1029724286121074689?s=21
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2018, 09:16:47 AM »

Trump just endorsed Stefanowski for governor. Good job CT republicans for injecting Trump into the race.
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1029724286121074689?s=21

Well, yes. Don't think, that Trump is very popular in Connecticut, and his support is so valuable...
ctrepublican512

« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2018, 09:43:19 AM »

Markley will turnout democrats and repel independents. You also said Ganim would do well in cities he was crushed in the cities. The race is lean D. It’s kind of amazing how republicans don’t learn their lesson year after year.   There are more independents and Democrats than Republicans in the state. Also Stefanowksi said he would give trump an A job and would love for him to campaign for him. Since when is Trump popular in Ct or won CT in the general?

I said i thought he would do better than what people expected. Poeple don't pay attention to the LG race. If you really are trying to associate Stefanowski with Trump you are literally delusional
ctrepublican512

« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2018, 09:44:30 AM »

Please tell me one view that is so abhorrent at this point the electorate won't vote for him
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2018, 09:49:48 AM »

Please tell me one view that is so abhorrent at this point the electorate won't vote for him

After reading his site i, probably, can give one: he is too (IMHO) enamored with Reagan/Laffer methods of managing economy... Very right-wing in their essence...
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2018, 10:11:45 AM »

well then

choclatechip45
Rookie

« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2018, 10:35:34 AM »
« Edited: August 15, 2018, 02:54:13 PM by choclatechip45 »

Markley will turnout democrats and repel independents. You also said Ganim would do well in cities he was crushed in the cities. The race is lean D. It’s kind of amazing how republicans don’t learn their lesson year after year.   There are more independents and Democrats than Republicans in the state. Also Stefanowksi said he would give trump an A job and would love for him to campaign for him. Since when is Trump popular in Ct or won CT in the general?

I said i thought he would do better than what people expected. Poeple don't pay attention to the LG race. If you really are trying to associate Stefanowski with Trump you are literally delusional

And he did way worse than how you predicted. Trump just endorsed Stefanowski.....
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2018, 11:24:09 AM »

well then

Lean D->Likely D. Connecticut hates Trump.

A "big cutter" of taxes? Lmao.
here2view
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.13, S: -1.74

P P P
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2018, 02:42:16 PM »

I like how Malloy never had approval ratings over 50% in his first term and he still won re-election by a few points during a Republican wave year.

Likely D.
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2018, 07:09:58 PM »

Stefanowski welcomes the endorsement

dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2018, 07:36:38 PM »

Nope. Not welcoming the endorsement would make it a bigger issue and cause a wedge with his base. There's a difference between your average anti-Trump Greenwich voter and a pro-Trump supporter from Watertown. Both places exist within the same state.
adrac
adracman42

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2018, 07:36:53 PM »

Gottem?
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2018, 07:42:07 PM »

After reading his site i, probably, can give one: he is too (IMHO) enamored with Reagan/Laffer methods of managing economy... Very right-wing in their essence...

I'm not sure how Connecticut voters will respond to economic conservatism without any traces of social issues. He's laser-focused on economics, even coating his milquetoast supply side platitudes in a sort of populist message, which will put Lamont in a tough spot when he criticizes it. But I will concede that if he ever even touches stuff like abortion or SSM, he's done.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies