Lori Swanson set to run for MN Governor, with Rick Nolan as running mate.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 06:12:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Lori Swanson set to run for MN Governor, with Rick Nolan as running mate.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8
Author Topic: Lori Swanson set to run for MN Governor, with Rick Nolan as running mate.  (Read 15106 times)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: July 08, 2018, 09:00:27 PM »

Lori Swanson is a massive HP for jumping in the race at the last minute and scrambling the race, even though a Democrat will probably win it regardless. But Mark Begich is an amazing FF for jumping in the race last minute and scrambling the race, even though him doing so raises the chance of a Republican win drastically. Smiley
I was going to comment, and then realized IceSpear summed up my own thoughts rather succinctly.

No one has said Mark Begich is a FF for jumping in at the last minute, but thanks for playing Smiley

Plenty of people here were happy about it.

link?

I'm glad Begich jumped in. Not only is Walker a terrible Governor but he's a former Republican who doesn't deserve to automatically get Alaska's fairly sizable Democratic base. I'm glad Begich is giving Alaskans a real choice this November instead of two fairly conservative candidates. Not to mention Begich is a significantly better candidate in his own right.

One flaming hot take does not plenty of people make.
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.13

« Reply #126 on: July 08, 2018, 09:01:52 PM »

Lori Swanson is a massive HP for jumping in the race at the last minute and scrambling the race, even though a Democrat will probably win it regardless. But Mark Begich is an amazing FF for jumping in the race last minute and scrambling the race, even though him doing so raises the chance of a Republican win drastically. Smiley
I was going to comment, and then realized IceSpear summed up my own thoughts rather succinctly.

No one has said Mark Begich is a FF for jumping in at the last minute, but thanks for playing Smiley

link?

I'm glad Begich jumped in. Not only is Walker a terrible Governor but he's a former Republican who doesn't deserve to automatically get Alaska's fairly sizable Democratic base. I'm glad Begich is giving Alaskans a real choice this November instead of two fairly conservative candidates. Not to mention Begich is a significantly better candidate in his own right.

I don't see how it's a hot take. Begich is outpolling Walker in public polling. That's pathetic for an incumbent governor, and Walker isn't getting any stronger. Maybe actually address my argument instead of lazily calling it a hot take?
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #127 on: July 08, 2018, 09:20:46 PM »

Not that it's at all relevant to the Minnesota thread, but it's been clear for some time that Walker is in a whole lot of trouble. Begich jumping in is probably the best way to ensure that a Republican does not become Governor of Alaska -- assuming, of course, Walker drops out to allow Begich to take on whatever Palin clone the AKGOP puts up.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #128 on: July 08, 2018, 11:56:43 PM »

Not that it's at all relevant to the Minnesota thread, but it's been clear for some time that Walker is in a whole lot of trouble. Begich jumping in is probably the best way to ensure that a Republican does not become Governor of Alaska -- assuming, of course, Walker drops out to allow Begich to take on whatever Palin clone the AKGOP puts up.

Sounds like fanfiction to me. Walker led by 7 in the only non internal head to head poll of the race. Could he still have lost to the Republican? Yeah, especially since Alaska polls suck. Are the chances of a Republican win far higher now than they were before? Unambiguously.
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #129 on: July 09, 2018, 12:08:59 AM »

Sounds like fanfiction to me. Walker led by 7 in the only non internal head to head poll of the race. Could he still have lost to the Republican? Yeah, especially since Alaska polls suck. Are the chances of a Republican win far higher now than they were before? Unambiguously.

Fun fact: Begich led by 11 in the same poll. In a head to head, would Walker beat Dunleavy? Probably. But Begich is unambiguously the stronger candidate between the him and Walker, and probably the more competent potential governor as well. Democrats rolled over for Walker in 2014, and look where it got them. They got Mallott at Lt. Gov, sure, but the man in charge is not exactly good at his job and he's certainly unpopular. Begich is offering Alaskans a real choice in this election, and Walker should take the hint that he's not going to win regardless already.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #130 on: July 09, 2018, 11:16:56 AM »

link?

I don't see how it's a hot take. Begich is outpolling Walker in public polling. That's pathetic for an incumbent governor, and Walker isn't getting any stronger. Maybe actually address my argument instead of lazily calling it a hot take?

Because I get the sense nothing I say will change your mind and I have other things to do besides argue for the sake of arguing (no offense).
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #131 on: July 09, 2018, 11:20:14 PM »

link?

Because I get the sense nothing I say will change your mind and I have other things to do besides argue for the sake of arguing (no offense).

I mean, you haven't even laid out a position here. My mind is open.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #132 on: July 09, 2018, 11:24:15 PM »

link?

I mean, you haven't even laid out a position here. My mind is open.

Okay, I'll get back to you over the weekend when I have time to give a more detailed response.  Sound good?
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #133 on: July 09, 2018, 11:33:24 PM »

I thought this thread was about Minnesota.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #134 on: August 07, 2018, 05:28:24 PM »

Lori Swanson is a union-buster.

Also Tim Walz and Erin Murphy are both former union leaders.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #135 on: August 07, 2018, 05:41:30 PM »

Ouch:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

SHAME!
SHAME!
SHAMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #136 on: August 07, 2018, 06:22:08 PM »

Begich might win.  Half a Democrat is better than no Democrat at all, but a whole Democrat is better than half a Democrat.
IndustrialJustice

« Reply #137 on: August 07, 2018, 08:05:31 PM »

It's bad enough that many Democrats fraternize with anti-union companies and law firms, but the candidate herself being a literal union-buster?
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #138 on: August 08, 2018, 12:33:07 PM »

I used to like Swanson, now I really dislike her.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #139 on: August 08, 2018, 12:39:04 PM »

I wanted this woman to replace Franken. Now, I want her political career to end. My, how things change.

Seriously though, Swanson is becoming my least favorite Dem really quickly.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #140 on: August 08, 2018, 01:42:20 PM »

Go Walz!
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #141 on: August 08, 2018, 01:44:48 PM »

Unfortunate, rooting for Walz now.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #142 on: August 08, 2018, 01:48:06 PM »

Go Walz and Flanagan!
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #143 on: August 08, 2018, 01:48:37 PM »

Let's hope Walz wins.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #144 on: August 08, 2018, 01:56:19 PM »

I think Walz will win this. He has a natural base, and has popular support. While hes more socially moderate, hes also economically left, giving him a connection to the rurals and cities. Murphy has the city vote, and some suburban support. Swanson is left with very little, no cities due to Murphy, noz woman vote due to Murphy, and no rural due to Walz. Actually now that I think about it, without Murphy, Swanson would likely win this, so thanks Murphy!

Also, while browsing, I found this quiz on who you match with for governor:

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2018/08/08/select-a-candidate-minnesota-governor-primary
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #145 on: August 08, 2018, 02:24:24 PM »

I think Walz will win this. He has a natural base, and has popular support. While hes more socially moderate, hes also economically left, giving him a connection to the rurals and cities. Murphy has the city vote, and some suburban support. Swanson is left with very little, no cities due to Murphy, noz woman vote due to Murphy, and no rural due to Walz. Actually now that I think about it, without Murphy, Swanson would likely win this, so thanks Murphy!

Also, while browsing, I found this quiz on who you match with for governor:

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2018/08/08/select-a-candidate-minnesota-governor-primary
I got Walz.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #146 on: August 08, 2018, 03:35:25 PM »

I got Murphy. Voting Walz though.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #147 on: August 08, 2018, 03:53:08 PM »

Took the quiz, got Tim Walz, very happy with myself. I thought I would get Murphy.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #148 on: August 08, 2018, 04:26:59 PM »

I got Murphy and I'm very proud of myself. We need more good female leftists.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #149 on: August 08, 2018, 04:30:03 PM »

Im very proud of the campaign Walz is running. An economic Leftist with progressive social values. Not as progressive as Murphy, but still very progressive. He reminds me of Sherrod Brown.

And then I see Swanson, and I am instantly unhappy. Union Buster, Conservative on guns and other social issues, #MeToo, just, ugh. If she wins, I will not endorse her, and I endorse almost all Dems. (I know no one cares about who I endorse, but its symbolic, okay.)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies