Lori Swanson set to run for MN Governor, with Rick Nolan as running mate.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 05, 2024, 08:01:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Lori Swanson set to run for MN Governor, with Rick Nolan as running mate.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8
Author Topic: Lori Swanson set to run for MN Governor, with Rick Nolan as running mate.  (Read 15040 times)
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: July 06, 2018, 06:48:12 PM »

What a twist!
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #76 on: July 06, 2018, 07:07:23 PM »

bqhwhatever
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #77 on: July 06, 2018, 07:36:16 PM »

I don’t see what’s wrong with Swanson although I do agree that the way she announced her bid is a little nerve-wracking. If she wants it this bad, I feel like she deserves a shot at it just as Walz. Both seem to have strong chances at winning the general anyway.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #78 on: July 06, 2018, 09:33:36 PM »

Swanson kind seems like a Republican plant in some ways.   I think she's a bit too right wing for MN Dems.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #79 on: July 06, 2018, 09:46:14 PM »

Still support Walz. He is actually a good politician and Swanson is rightwing and a poor fit for Minnesota, perhaps even more so than Murphy.
What I find interesting is that Swanson's support is the exact same in both polls, and so is Murphys. It's Walz that moves. Could this be reflective of more rural voters who were pushed to Walz in his poll and not in Swanson's? Could this mean that Walz has room to grow compared to the others? Am I overanalyzing two polls that are internals that have a high undecided rate? Perhaps.
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

« Reply #80 on: July 06, 2018, 09:50:49 PM »

Swanson kind seems like a Republican plant in some ways.   I think she's a bit too right wing for MN Dems.

That’s a hell of a long con, she’s been Minnesota’s elected Attorney General since 2006.
scutosaurus
United States

« Reply #81 on: July 06, 2018, 09:58:13 PM »

To those calling Swanson "right wing," how exactly is she? I'm not all too well versed in MN politics, but from what little I know it seems like both her and Walz would make fine Governors.
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #82 on: July 06, 2018, 10:00:49 PM »

To those calling Swanson "right wing," how exactly is she? I'm not all too well versed in MN politics, but from what little I know it seems like both her and Walz would make fine Governors.
Because to the Democratic base in 2018, just about anybody to the right of Bernie Sanders is a right-wing conservative.
Mycool

Political Matrix
E: -4.58, S: -6.52

« Reply #83 on: July 06, 2018, 10:13:34 PM »

In spite of how she got into the race, Swanson is definitely my pick for the primary. I think she will do equally as well as Walz in the general, and the critique of her being right wing compared to him is a little too cute.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #84 on: July 07, 2018, 12:35:44 AM »

My problem with Swanson is that her positions are too opaque. I don't even know where she stands on marijuana legalization for example (Walz and Murphy are for it)

Swanson is not right wing by any standard, but the main things she was attacked on by Pelikan and that she's been the most criticized for is being pro-gun (not really something Walz can attack her on granted), not doing enough to protect immigrants and stop ICE raids (she did take a lead in suing against the travel ban though), and being too soft on the pharmaceutical industry. But calling with "right wing" with her record on protecting debtors, Obamacare and unions is pretty absurd.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #85 on: July 07, 2018, 03:49:12 AM »

Swanson was endorsed twice by the NRA but so was Walz, it's difficult to really pin her down ideologically because she doesn't have a voting record. Some people have been attacking her over pulling out of the travel ban lawsuit but legal stuff is always way more complex than people think.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #86 on: July 07, 2018, 10:12:42 AM »

Swanson was endorsed twice by the NRA but so was Walz, it's difficult to really pin her down ideologically because she doesn't have a voting record. Some people have been attacking her over pulling out of the travel ban lawsuit but legal stuff is always way more complex than people think.

In fairness, her last NRA endorsement was in 2010, when the NRA was actually still willing to support some Democrats. It was also 8 years ago so I don’t care much anymore.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #87 on: July 07, 2018, 10:32:26 AM »

There's humor here. Walz is just cruising then suddenly Swanson jumps in with a haphazardly picked running mate just to spite the DFL for denying her the endorsement and just derails the whole thing. But if she's generally centrist and was endorsed by the NRA, doesn't that take a whole lot of wind out of T-Paw's sails, especially with the whole "middle class first" angle he was taking?
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #88 on: July 07, 2018, 11:10:36 AM »

In fairness, her last NRA endorsement was in 2010, when the NRA was actually still willing to support some Democrats. It was also 8 years ago so I don’t care much anymore.

Yeah, same. I'd be disturbed if the NRA endorsed a Democrat today, but eight years ago isn't a big deal. She's not some principled gun rights proponent, so it doesn't really matter, she'll sign whatever gun control bill gets to her desk.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #89 on: July 07, 2018, 12:14:44 PM »

As far as I can tell she's also against marijuana legalization.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #90 on: July 07, 2018, 01:41:34 PM »

Dayton should have just appointed Swanson to Franken's seat. Smith is a fine person and has been a fine enough Senator, but she's just not ideal.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #91 on: July 07, 2018, 01:46:37 PM »

Dayton should have just appointed Swanson to Franken's seat. Smith is a fine person and has been a fine enough Senator, but she's just not ideal.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #92 on: July 07, 2018, 02:22:00 PM »

One rumor is he offered it and she declined. She probably doesn't want to move to Washington.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #93 on: July 07, 2018, 02:53:03 PM »

My issue with Swanson is that she seems to be running for Governor to save face rather than because she actually wants to do it.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #94 on: July 07, 2018, 03:22:41 PM »

My issue with Swanson is that she seems to be running for Governor to save face rather than because she actually wants to do it.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #95 on: July 07, 2018, 04:34:22 PM »

^^^^Exactly. It seems like an incredibly petty move by her after she lost the AG endorsement to Pelikan.

This entire fiasco is good reason for (much) earlier filing deadlines in Minnesota.

If we had Maine-style RCV in this race I’d put Murphy first, Walz second and not rank Swanson.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #96 on: July 07, 2018, 05:05:35 PM »

She wasn't endorsed by the NRA in 2014 but by some other gun rights group.

http://www.startribune.com/gun-owners-pac-goes-for-dfl-ag-swanson-anyone-but-dayton-for-governor/270025961/
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #97 on: July 07, 2018, 05:29:57 PM »

Walz needs to use this to gain the upper hand.
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #98 on: July 07, 2018, 05:34:39 PM »

Walz actually was endorsed by the NRA, so...
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #99 on: July 07, 2018, 05:34:39 PM »

Walz is also pro-gun himself or at least was until Parkland when he decided to favor an AWB.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies