The Personal Attacks On McCain In The Trumpworld Need To Stop
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 01:49:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The Personal Attacks On McCain In The Trumpworld Need To Stop
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Should One Of Our Aircraft Carriers Under Development Be Named After John McCain?
Yes
No
Undecided
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: The Personal Attacks On McCain In The Trumpworld Need To Stop  (Read 1746 times)
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 10, 2018, 08:38:41 PM »

This is getting ridiculous from the Trumpworld. I get attacking his politics and views, and I strongly dislike many of them, and I do take issue and brawl with them, and overall do not like him politically very much at all. But these personal attacks are absolutely barf-inducing, and there is a barrage of them coming from Trump and many jack@sses that are part of his base, several of which just today. No one cares what Trump and many followers of him say about respecting him and military, their actions, impulses, and frequent, very frequent crude comments tell a much different tale. McCain is an American hero, and while not a perfect person, and he has made some big mistakes, and one with pretty bad political views, he is overall a better and more courageous and heroic man and soldier than all of these castrated pencil necks using outhouse talk to falsely and cowardly slander this defender of America combined.

They hide behind their NRA and guns for playing and doing stupid crap and act all tough, but if the time came to be a man and pick up a gun to fight for America and show their worth like McCain (yes, it's figurative, I know McCain was Navy Aviation, but just roll with it), I guarantee most of them would run home and hide. I get that McCain is real tight with the NRA and very pro-gun, but his personal experiences make him different. Utter cowards must cut this out and stop going after some of America's finest and actually do their jobs in a competent fashion for once.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 09:25:39 PM »

There is naval vessel currently named for McCain.
I don't think you can name another ship for the same individual (unless the other ship is retired).

USS John S. McCain (DDG-56) is an Arleigh Burke-class destroyer.

It will retire in several years it is older and damaged. Aircraft carriers are sometimes planned over a decade out unnamed, so the timing is alright.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 09:27:41 PM »

There is naval vessel currently named for McCain.
I don't think you can name another ship for the same individual (unless the other ship is retired).

USS John S. McCain (DDG-56) is an Arleigh Burke-class destroyer.

It will retire in several years it is older and damaged. Aircraft carriers are sometimes planned over a decade out unnamed, so the timing is alright.

I deleted that post, because I believe the vessel was named for McCain's dad, and not necessarily for the current McCain we know.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 09:42:32 PM »

There's already destroyer named after his father and grandfather. I guess it could be named after him as well. Who cares?
twenty42
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 04:17:57 AM »

This is getting ridiculous from the Trumpworld. I get attacking his politics and views, and I strongly dislike many of them, and I do take issue and brawl with them, and overall do not like him politically very much at all. But these personal attacks are absolutely barf-inducing, and there is a barrage of them coming from Trump and many jack@sses that are part of his base, several of which just today. No one cares what Trump and many followers of him say about respecting him and military, their actions, impulses, and frequent, very frequent crude comments tell a much different tale. McCain is an American hero, and while not a perfect person, and he has made some big mistakes, and one with pretty bad political views, he is overall a better and more courageous and heroic man and soldier than all of these castrated pencil necks using outhouse talk to falsely and cowardly slander this defender of America combined.

They hide behind their NRA and guns for playing and doing stupid crap and act all tough, but if the time came to be a man and pick up a gun to fight for America and show their worth like McCain (yes, it's figurative, I know McCain was Navy Aviation, but just roll with it), I guarantee most of them would run home and hide. I get that McCain is real tight with the NRA and very pro-gun, but his personal experiences make him different. Utter cowards must cut this out and stop going after some of America's finest and actually do their jobs in a competent fashion for once.

When you people stop personally attacking the president’s family members and staff, maybe a post like this will hold some water.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 06:55:54 AM »

Yeah, I disagree with McCain on a lot but attacking him personally or drawing a cartoon showing him as a brain tumor is disgusting.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 07:39:20 AM »

I see a struggle between the older members of the GOP (the moderates of the past) and the younger, more ruthless hard-liners. The former recognized politics as give-and-take, and would go along with a Ronald Reagan who recognized the inevitability of his side losing its attractiveness  as it exhausted its ideals and achieved its agenda. The younger Republicans believe in winning everything and never conceding power. They have Donald Trump -- an extremely-flawed politician -- as the current vehicle. After him? Someone who truly believes in a Christian and Corporate State intent on spreading some new form of Manifest Destiny where it is unwelcome while crushing or at least making irrelevant all dissent.

The Party of Lincoln has begun to increasingly a Party of Lenin except for fully endorsing capitalist power, wealth, and privilege as an objective instead of as anathema. 

Personal moderates could be drifting Democratic, but those are voters and not politicians. When the Democrats get enough such voters (biggest such constituency: college-educated white people), then the game is up for Republicans who have suckered for the Trump campaign. It is telling that both Obama and Eisenhower (the definitive moderate!) did very well among well-educate4d people (meaning a college degree)  -- but there are far more well-educate4d people now than in the 1950s, and the well-educated population is much more diverse (in the 1950s, most college grads were still WASPs) today. College education selects for certain cultures of mind (ethnicity and religion matter little) and creates its own intellectual consequences, most notably that college grads are much less likely to become suckers for demagogues of any kind.

It is also telling that Obama elections have an uncanny resemblance to Eisenhower elections. Overlap of states between politicians with opposite parties and dissimilar curricula vitae suggest similarities more of state culture over fifty years. (Obama did do badly in those states in which ranching is the predominant form of agriculture, but that is relatively few states).

Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2018, 07:49:40 AM »
« Edited: May 11, 2018, 08:11:20 AM by Ghost of Ruin »

This is the inevitable result of putting a man of incredibly low character and (suffering from mental illness, too) in charge of the GOP. If decent human beings want vile stuff like this to stop, Trumpy needs to be removed from office and his party punished for their evil and stupidity in supporting him - ideally by being politically destroyed. Real conservatives and those who truly want to see policy guided by sincere religious views (should any such people exist) can pay their dues and form a new party untainted by the destructive and dangerous trend that is Trumpism.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2018, 08:15:24 AM »

This is the inevitable result of putting a madman with the morals of a rabid weasel in charge of the GOP. If decent human beings want vile stuff like this to stop, Trumpy needs to be removed from office and his party punished for their evil and stupidity in supporting him - ideally by being politically destroyed. Real conservatives and those who truly want to see policy guided by sincere religious views (should any such people exist) can pay their dues and form a new party untainted by the toxic social cancer that is Trumpism.

The problem is that too few people saw this. It was up to Republicans to decide what was their best offering in the election, and someone who bragged about grabbing women by their crotches, who had ties to underworld people, and who showed more admiration for dictators than for people who get elected fair-and-square should have been a quick reject. 

Republicans could have made protest votes in November 2016 for Gary Johnson or for candidates of others like Gary Johnson or Evan McMullen. But winning is everything even if it means voting for a lying demagogue. Sure, they would be stuck with Hillary Clinton, but at least we wouldn't have so many scandals crippling the President's agenda. 
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2018, 08:35:56 AM »

This is the inevitable result of putting a man of incredibly low character and in charge of the GOP. If decent human beings want vile stuff like this to stop, Trumpy needs to be removed from office and his party punished for their evil and stupidity in supporting him - ideally by being politically destroyed. Real conservatives and those who truly want to see policy guided by sincere religious views (should any such people exist) can pay their dues and form a new party untainted by the destructive and dangerous trend that is Trumpism.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2018, 09:37:10 AM »

This is the inevitable result of putting a man of incredibly low character and in charge of the GOP. If decent human beings want vile stuff like this to stop, Trumpy needs to be removed from office and his party punished for their evil and stupidity in supporting him - ideally by being politically destroyed. Real conservatives and those who truly want to see policy guided by sincere religious views (should any such people exist) can pay their dues and form a new party untainted by the destructive and dangerous trend that is Trumpism.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2018, 09:54:27 AM »

When you people stop personally attacking the president’s family members and staff, maybe a post like this will hold some water.

Yea, no one of any credibility on our side is actually doing that though. Not personal attacks.

We have issues with policy and that is fair game, most especially when it comes to his staff. I rarely hear any personal criticism or attacks against his family. The few I have heard have not been taken seriously. Attacks and criticism of policy is most definitely on the table though; that kind of attack is fair game against McCain’s legacy too, but that’s not what y’all have been doing.

And in any case, John McCain is dying and you guys are demonizing him in his death. That’s extremely tasteless and and just indicative of the general behavior from the right over the last couple of years. Nothing is off limits with you guys anymore. You are not seeing that from the left.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2018, 10:48:07 AM »

It's probably going to stop. Even after he dies. It's how things are 'done' now.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2018, 01:59:58 PM »

Obviously disgusting, and it's wishful to expect that it will stop after McCain's death. The people attached to Trump are completely lacking in respect or compassion.

But this is also a case where some perspective helps: This is a U.S. Senator who thought that it was funny to joke about the president's teenage daughter being "ugly."  It took a presidential campaign for him to stop referring to Vietnamese as "gooks." Let's not pretend that failing to treat John McCain as a "hero" is some new low in political respectability.
John McCain makes himself the deciding vote on every piece of legislation. He's an attention whore, corrupt, and he immediately ditched his first wife to marry a wealthy heiress who'd fund his career.

And McCain has no room to be joking about other people's "ugly daughters" for that matter.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2018, 02:27:42 PM »

Obviously disgusting, and it's wishful to expect that it will stop after McCain's death. The people attached to Trump are completely lacking in respect or compassion.

But this is also a case where some perspective helps: This is a U.S. Senator who thought that it was funny to joke about the president's teenage daughter being "ugly."  It took a presidential campaign for him to stop referring to Vietnamese as "gooks." Let's not pretend that failing to treat John McCain as a "hero" is some new low in political respectability.
John McCain makes himself the deciding vote on every piece of legislation. He's an attention whore, corrupt, and he immediately ditched his first wife to marry a wealthy heiress who'd fund his career.

And McCain has no room to be joking about other people's "ugly daughters" for that matter.

Or perhaps he just votes with his morals, integrity, and patriotism in mind rather than voting in line with his party.  He does not stand for or vote for everything I believe in but I admire that he isn’t a blank check to either party—that’s how people in congress should be.

Attention whore? No one who likes Trump should complain about anyone being an attention whore.

Also, no one who supports Trump is allowed to criticize anyone else’s marriage problems.
IndustrialJustice

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2018, 02:34:53 PM »

Nah, dragging McCain is the only good thing to come from Trump's political career.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2018, 02:42:26 PM »

Or perhaps he just votes with his morals, integrity, and patriotism in mind rather than voting in line with his party.  He does not stand for or vote for everything I believe in but I admire that he isn’t a blank check to either party—that’s how people in congress should be.

Attention whore? No one who likes Trump should complain about anyone being an attention whore.

Also, no one who supports Trump is allowed to criticize anyone else’s marriage problems.
I'm sure you were crying crow ten years ago when McCain started bringing up Jerry Wright.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2018, 02:44:53 PM »

I'm sure you were crying crow ten years ago when McCain started bringing up Jerry Wright.

I voted for McCain in 2008.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2018, 02:46:14 PM »

I mistook you for another D-GA poster. Regardless, the left's embrace of McCain is shameless and sad.
UlmerFudd
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.17

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2018, 02:48:18 PM »

There's already destroyer named after his father and grandfather. I guess it could be named after him as well. Who cares?
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2018, 03:00:02 PM »

I mistook you for another D-GA poster. Regardless, the left's embrace of McCain is shameless and sad.

A lot of people on the left have always liked McCain. They just don’t usually agree with his politics. I respect a lot of people who I don’t like politically.  And there a lot of people I agree with on policy who I don’t respect at all.

Any Trump-like candidate would not get my vote regardless of politics. His behavior is entirely unpresidential, and if found guilty in the Russia investigation then he’s treasonous too.  Just that possibility alone disqualifies him in my view (and that’s not the only thing that disqualifies him, which is even more troubling).

Party and politics shouldn’t be the only thing one bases his/her vote on.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2018, 03:29:29 PM »

Yeah, it's pretty trashy, but unfortunately a lot of die hard Trump supporters take pride in that kind of thing.  "No filter" and all.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2018, 03:33:52 PM »

But this is also a case where some perspective helps: This is a U.S. Senator who thought that it was funny to joke about the president's teenage daughter being "ugly."  It took a presidential campaign for him to stop referring to Vietnamese as "gooks." Let's not pretend that failing to treat John McCain as a "hero" is some new low in political respectability.

Or perhaps he just votes with his morals, integrity, and patriotism in mind rather than voting in line with his party.  He does not stand for or vote for everything I believe in but I admire that he isn’t a blank check to either party—that’s how people in congress should be.

That post was a swing and a miss and a complete LIE! Apologize for your petulance at once, lil' bubber.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2018, 04:18:23 PM »

Yeah, it's pretty trashy, but unfortunately a lot of die hard Trump supporters take pride in that kind of thing.  "No filter" and all.

Many Trump voters who like the "no filter" thing just want to be able to neglect their manners and be as tactless as they want, but don't think people should get upset at them for it.

Words and actions have consequences, Trump and many of his voters need to either grow thicker skin to withstand the criticism of their tactless words and actions, or they need to be more polite so people won't get upset at their behavior.

Most children know this by the time they're like 8. Trump and other man-children just don't get it.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2018, 04:20:36 PM »

Yeah, it's pretty trashy, but unfortunately a lot of die hard Trump supporters take pride in that kind of thing.  "No filter" and all.
Many Trump voters who like the "no filter" thing just want to be able to neglect their manners and be as tactless as they want, but don't think people should get upset at them for it.

Words and actions have consequences, Trump and many of his voters need to either grow thicker skin to withstand the criticism of their tactless words and actions, or they need to be more polite so people won't get upset at their behavior.

Most children know this by the time they're like 8. Trump and other man-children just don't get it.
My response to the Daily Double:
"Who are assholes?"

In my experience, if you are an asshole, there will always be a bigger asshole that comes along.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies