Anti-Semitism in UK Labour megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 08:18:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Anti-Semitism in UK Labour megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 16
Author Topic: Anti-Semitism in UK Labour megathread  (Read 32542 times)
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: August 03, 2018, 12:06:23 PM »

Yeah, I'm mean I'm not going to defend this any more. Suffice to say that a lot of people put their faith in Corbyn because he represented the best chance of changing the UK (or any country for that matter) for the better in a generation - and it is worth remembering that a lot of people, who genuinely do abhor the idea of antisemitism, are refusing to give up on him for precisely that reason (and the timing of these scandals, ie whenever the Tories do something stupid, definitely helps them justify that idea).

But it is pretty tragic that he is blowing that opportunity because his old school loyalties or whatever means he can't even get up and say that hating Jews is, you know, a bad thing.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #76 on: August 03, 2018, 02:07:45 PM »

Lol at Owen Smith's pathetic spinning.

Jones, not Smith - very different people!
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #77 on: August 03, 2018, 03:10:31 PM »

Wow, you're right, I stand corrected.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #78 on: August 03, 2018, 03:13:40 PM »

Wow, you're right, I stand corrected.

I remember in the 2016 election someone gave a very long speech in favour of Owen at our nomination meeting (basically a non binding caucus) and finished it by saying ‘it’s time to vote for Owen... Henderson’
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #79 on: August 04, 2018, 11:57:03 AM »

To be frank, Corbyn seems indifferent to virtually every issue except Trident. Nuclear disarmament is the only issue that really seems to animate him, and one of the few he has forced his party to take a stance on.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #80 on: August 04, 2018, 11:16:04 PM »

This sort of herd mentality from the media is how we got the Iraq war.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #81 on: August 05, 2018, 08:41:47 AM »

Yeah, I'm mean I'm not going to defend this any more. Suffice to say that a lot of people put their faith in Corbyn because he represented the best chance of changing the UK (or any country for that matter) for the better in a generation - and it is worth remembering that a lot of people, who genuinely do abhor the idea of antisemitism, are refusing to give up on him for precisely that reason (and the timing of these scandals, ie whenever the Tories do something stupid, definitely helps them justify that idea).

But it is pretty tragic that he is blowing that opportunity because his old school loyalties or whatever means he can't even get up and say that hating Jews is, you know, a bad thing.

This x10000
Slow Learner
Battenberg
United Kingdom

« Reply #82 on: August 05, 2018, 10:04:27 AM »

This sort of herd mentality from the media is how we got the Iraq war.
These situations are in no way comparable, and it's ridiculous to insinuate they are.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #83 on: August 05, 2018, 02:00:23 PM »

Oh FFS.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #84 on: August 05, 2018, 02:59:01 PM »

While it seems to me the right-wing press are dragging out this dirt on a regular basis for political reasons, the fact there is this much "dirt" is rather concerning.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #85 on: August 05, 2018, 03:26:19 PM »

Oh FFS.

The legendary senator Fritz Hollings said something similar 20 or so years ago, there weren't calls for him to resign. Is the UK really this sensitive?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #86 on: August 05, 2018, 03:59:59 PM »

Oh FFS.

The legendary senator Fritz Hollings said something similar 20 or so years ago, there weren't calls for him to resign. Is the UK really this sensitive?

The """legendary""" Fritz Hollings was a racist creep and I'm sure glad people like him are less common in the UK.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #87 on: August 05, 2018, 04:20:20 PM »

Oh FFS.

There's a clue in your own comment.
rc18
United Kingdom

« Reply #88 on: August 05, 2018, 05:43:44 PM »

You gotta laugh at the desperate attempts to make out Corbyn is some innocent bystander.  He can't disavow because funnily enough he agrees with his pals, that's precisely why they're his pals in the first place...

Meanwhile I see the twitter mob is trying to instigate a Night of the Long Knives on Tom Watson.

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #89 on: August 05, 2018, 05:47:22 PM »

Anti-semitism is going to be mainly from the right and some SJWs who hate all whites. What the left has more of than the right is criticism of Israel. Actual anti-semitism shouldn't be tolerated, but people need to stop conflating criticism of Israel and anti-semitism. If Meretz was in power, I think you'd see a lot less criticism of Israel.
rc18
United Kingdom

« Reply #90 on: August 05, 2018, 05:49:27 PM »

Anti-semitism is going to be mainly from the right and some SJWs who hate all whites. What the left has more of than the right is criticism of Israel. Actual anti-semitism shouldn't be tolerated, but people need to stop conflating criticism of Israel and anti-semitism. If Mertez was in power, I think you'd see a lot less criticism of Israel.
Jesus Christ

Denial isn't just a river in Egypt...
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #91 on: August 05, 2018, 05:52:23 PM »

Anti-semitism is going to be mainly from the right and some SJWs who hate all whites. What the left has more of than the right is criticism of Israel. Actual anti-semitism shouldn't be tolerated, but people need to stop conflating criticism of Israel and anti-semitism. If Mertez was in power, I think you'd see a lot less criticism of Israel.
Jesus Christ

No one is denying that there have been some issues of anti-semitism in the Labour party, but this has been blown way out of proportion.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #92 on: August 05, 2018, 06:07:01 PM »

Jesus Christ

No one is denying that there have been some issues of anti-semitism in the Labour party, but this has been blown way out of proportion.

I don't recall Ms. May hanging out with Jewhaters or spouting anti-Semitism. Seems like a relevant story about a major party leader.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #93 on: August 05, 2018, 06:17:59 PM »

Jesus Christ

I don't recall Ms. May hanging out with Jewhaters or spouting anti-Semitism. Seems like a relevant story about a major party leader.

Are we talking about things like where Corbyn apologized for going to an event where a Holocaust survivor compared Israel to Nazi Germany? Is the Holocaust survivor an anti-semite too?
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #94 on: August 05, 2018, 06:24:50 PM »

Jesus Christ

Are we talking about things like where Corbyn apologized for going to an event where a Holocaust survivor compared Israel to Nazi Germany? Is the Holocaust survivor an anti-semite too?

Today's zionists have absolutely no respect for survivors of the Shoah.
rc18
United Kingdom

« Reply #95 on: August 05, 2018, 06:42:01 PM »
« Edited: August 05, 2018, 06:46:56 PM by rc18 »

Jesus Christ

Research has actually been done on this issue showing numerically speaking just as many who hold strongly anti-Semitic (not simply anti-Israel) views are on the far left as on the far right.

http://archive.jpr.org.uk/object-uk450

To claim there is barely any issue on the left with anti-Semitism is either delusional or deceitful.

The obsession amongst the hard left about this particular middle-eastern sh**thole half the world away (as opposed to every other oppressive sh**thole) is a bit of a giveaway there's more to it than just having an issue with Israel's governance.  That's not to say there can't be legitimate criticism, but that's not what the hard Left's obsession is about which is more of the Jewish conspiracy variety.

It's these people who now are in charge of Labour, I know, I had unfortunate encounters with these sort at uni before the rise of Corbyn.  This was back when the Iraq War was going on many of these Jew-hating cranks left Labour for the Lib Dems and Greens, now they're back.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #96 on: August 05, 2018, 06:45:40 PM »

Jesus Christ

Research has actually been done on this issue showing numerically speaking just as many who hold strongly anti-Semitic (not simply anti-Israel) views are on the far left as on the far right.

To claim there is barely any issue on the hard left with anti-Semitism is either delusional or deceitful.

The obsession amongst the hard left about this particular middle-eastern sh**thole half the world away (as opposed to every other oppressive sh**thole) is a bit of a giveaway there's more to it than just having an issue with Israel's governance.  That's not to say there can't be legitimate criticism, but that's not what the hard Left's obsession is about which is more of the Jewish conspiracy variety.

When the Iraq War was going on many of these Jew-hating cranks left Labour for the Lib Dems and Greens, now they're back.

Oh yes, if you oppose the Iraq war you must be a Jew hating crank. And while the UK might not give so much to Israel, the US Senate just passed a bill to send $38 billion in military aid. I think that makes them entitled to more criticism from the US.
rc18
United Kingdom

« Reply #97 on: August 05, 2018, 06:53:35 PM »
« Edited: August 05, 2018, 06:58:01 PM by rc18 »

Jesus Christ

To claim there is barely any issue on the hard left with anti-Semitism is either delusional or deceitful.

When the Iraq War was going on many of these Jew-hating cranks left Labour for the Lib Dems and Greens, now they're back.

Oh yes, if you oppose the Iraq war you must be a Jew hating crank. And while the UK might not give so much to Israel, the US Senate just passed a bill to send $38 billion in military aid. I think that makes them entitled to more criticism from the US.

I don't believe I said if you oppose the Iraq war you must be a Jew hating crank (I think it says more about you that you construed it that way...), I said the Iraq war was a trigger for hard left Jew hating cranks (amongst many others) to leave Labour.  The point being the hard left Jew-hatred is deeper than the Israel issue and that they see Corbyn as a fellow traveller.

We aren't talking about the US though, we are talking about UK Labour.  The fact the obsession is international kind of reinforces the point it isn't about national policy.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #98 on: August 05, 2018, 06:58:06 PM »

Jesus Christ

I don't believe I said if you oppose the Iraq war you must be a Jew hating crank (I think it says more about you that you construed it that way...), I said the Iraq war was a trigger for hard left Jew hating cranks (amongst many others) to leave Labour.  The point being the hard left Jew-hatred is deeper than the Israel issue.

We aren't talking about the US, we are talking about UK Labour.

Palestinians are the largest stateless group in the world, so it's no wonder that someone like Corbyn cares about them. He's also called many times for the second largest stateless group to be treated better, the Rohingyas in Myanmar.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #99 on: August 05, 2018, 08:19:55 PM »

While these poll results aren't that great for the Labour party, they did better than the Conservatives.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 16  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies