Texas Megathread Mk. II : Big Dem State Legislature gains
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 08:24:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Texas Megathread Mk. II : Big Dem State Legislature gains
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13
Author Topic: Texas Megathread Mk. II : Big Dem State Legislature gains  (Read 26658 times)
Former Kentuckian
Cal

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2018, 10:39:35 PM »

In more under the radar news there is actually a competitive race for the Libertarian nomination for Governor.

Kathie Glass is the front runner and the nominee in 2010, 2014, and for Supreme Court in 2016. Coming from the more conservative wing of the party most notably with her stance on border control. Has the most appeal to Tea Party voters who for whatever wont vote for Abbot.

Kory Watkins is definitely representing the an/cap wing of the party. His campaign seems focused on legalizing marijuana and eliminating property taxes (and then all others). 

Mark Tippetts is a city councilman from Lago Vista. Tippetts' campaign is largely based around opposing Trump and any border wall. He has Mark Miller (2016 candidate for Railroad Commissioner and endorsed by all the major newspapers) and Mary Ruwart in his corner which can go a long way. If he can he get his name out more and build up a bigger social media presence he may be worth keeping an eye on as a potential nominee.

Finally we come to Patrick Smith, another an/cap. He claims to be running for "Not-Governor" i.e. governing by 100% by the Non-Aggression Principle.

Currently I am in the process of trying to get all four to come out to Huntsville where our county's LP will host a Gubernatorial debate in Maech

You'd think Tippetts would be the frontrunner since he's actually held office
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2018, 11:40:50 PM »

In more under the radar news there is actually a competitive race for the Libertarian nomination for Governor.

Kathie Glass is the front runner and the nominee in 2010, 2014, and for Supreme Court in 2016. Coming from the more conservative wing of the party most notably with her stance on border control. Has the most appeal to Tea Party voters who for whatever wont vote for Abbot.

Kory Watkins is definitely representing the an/cap wing of the party. His campaign seems focused on legalizing marijuana and eliminating property taxes (and then all others). 

Mark Tippetts is a city councilman from Lago Vista. Tippetts' campaign is largely based around opposing Trump and any border wall. He has Mark Miller (2016 candidate for Railroad Commissioner and endorsed by all the major newspapers) and Mary Ruwart in his corner which can go a long way. If he can he get his name out more and build up a bigger social media presence he may be worth keeping an eye on as a potential nominee.

Finally we come to Patrick Smith, another an/cap. He claims to be running for "Not-Governor" i.e. governing by 100% by the Non-Aggression Principle.

Currently I am in the process of trying to get all four to come out to Huntsville where our county's LP will host a Gubernatorial debate in Maech

You'd think Tippetts would be the frontrunner since he's actually held office
Kathie's main strengths are her name recognition and well organized. Maybe if he can grow his campaign and demonstrate that he can get his name out there in a positive way he will have a real shot at the nomination.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2018, 12:14:39 AM »

The thread I needed, but also the one I didn't know existed.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2018, 12:16:27 AM »

TX-03 has a Democrat named... Sam Johnson running.

I saw the signs posted at the street corners, and was extremely confused at first.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2018, 01:06:11 AM »

It ain't easy competing for the privilege of being the person who gets 1.5% of the vote in November.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2018, 01:17:07 AM »

I am working on a list of competitive State House, Senate, CD, etc races
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2018, 01:17:38 AM »

It ain't easy competing for the privilege of being the person who gets 1.5% of the vote in November.

Better than zero. And at least we can hold our own enough in races when it counts to get the 5% that gives us automatic ballot access.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2018, 03:26:15 AM »

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jzJWx-lnhLvlhbY5BNHExAX2_QAoBM8q3e05idU580Y/edit?usp=sharing

Here is what I have so far, every competitive State House race with Party, candidates on both sides, whether or not they are tea party vs establishment/business ( a big metric for tx gop) , and whether or not it has advanced to a runoff, will be adding more races soon.
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2018, 10:53:56 AM »

Andrew White will be airing his first ad. I'm starting to think he'll win the primary: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/politics/texas/article/White-to-put-up-first-ad-in-Democratic-primary-12605838.php

Lupe Valdez has the endorsement of Dallas County Judge Clay Jenkins (but Dallas Mayor Mike Rawlings isn't endorsing): https://www.expressnews.com/news/local/article/Dallas-County-judge-backing-Lupe-Valdez-for-12605515.php
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2018, 12:32:18 AM »

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jzJWx-lnhLvlhbY5BNHExAX2_QAoBM8q3e05idU580Y/edit?usp=sharing

Here is what I have so far, every competitive State House race with Party, candidates on both sides, whether or not they are tea party vs establishment/business ( a big metric for tx gop) , and whether or not it has advanced to a runoff, will be adding more races soon.

For TX-08 put it as not tea party held. Brady has faced somewhat serious challenges twice in a row from people on his right.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2018, 12:42:20 AM »

For TX-08 put it as not tea party held. Brady has faced somewhat serious challenges twice in a row from people on his right.
Is he establishment though?

If you would like, I could try to redraw the districts in DRA to get their PVIs.
that'd be cool, I am planning on doing state senate races (with competitive primaries) too
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2018, 09:21:11 PM »

Is he establishment though?

If you would like, I could try to redraw the districts in DRA to get their PVIs.
that'd be cool, I am planning on doing state senate races (with competitive primaries) too

Kevin Brady is extremely Establishment. He's your standard-issue Chamber of Commerce Republican. I lived in his district when I was little (or rather, it was drawn to include my house at one point, since we never moved) and when my class took a trip to DC, we got to meet him.

Also, on your spreadsheet, you need to list HD-150 as Tea Party held. Valoree Swanson is about as Tea Party as Tea Party can get. In 2016, she primaried a very conservative GOP incumbent who endorsed the Democratic candidate in the general election.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2018, 11:05:34 AM »

Alright

https://www.texastribune.org/2018/02/15/texas-freedom-caucus-sees-opportunities-grow-2018-gop-primaries/

New article from Texas Tribune on the far right "Texas Freedom Caucus" (fun fact I live in one of their districts rip) and how they hope to grow, two of the races they are targeting are on the spreadsheet, Armin Mizani and Bo French for example.

I personally hope all of the members up fail Wink
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2018, 12:47:31 PM »

The Austin Chronicle gave a half-hearted endorsement of Lupe Valdez over Andrew White: https://www.austinchronicle.com/news/2018-02-16/chronicle-endorsements/
TheRocketRaccoon
Singapore

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2018, 01:23:59 AM »

https://www.texastribune.org/2018/02/19/uttt-poll-clear-sailing-abbott-patrick-uncertain-waters-bush-miller

Soft primary numbers - Valdez 43, White 24 (this is after pushing undecideds; the margin is Valdez 18, White 11 otherwise)
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2018, 09:58:36 AM »

White is already on the air with an ad. Lupe has just filmed her first ad. Not sure how she's affording to our it, though. She had raised a little over $100,000 by the end of January, while White had about $1.3 million (including the million he loaned his campaign).
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2018, 10:02:03 AM »

Early voting starts tomorrow.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2018, 12:02:30 PM »

Go Valdez!
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2018, 12:15:10 PM »

Am I the only one who thinks Abbott is a full fledged a*****e that is even worse than Ted Cruz?
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2018, 11:37:11 PM »

Let's just say that Houston Democrats are very excited to vote this year:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2018, 12:57:44 AM »

Let's just say that Houston Democrats are very excited to vote this year:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
...and lucky me (not), I'm gerrymandered in extremely skewed leg H & S districts as well as congressional, even while friends streets away are in great positions to have their vote make a difference. The HTX metro is one of the most segregated, I swear. I guess I'll try to look up the Gubernatorial candidates and see who appeals to me the best.
Babeuf

« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2018, 12:59:26 AM »

Am I the only one who thinks Abbott is a full fledged a*****e that is even worse than Ted Cruz?

I think they're both from the same strand of self-righteousness, but Abbott hasn't been that awful of a governor. Not enough to earn my vote, but still better than Cruz.
How much of that is Joe Straus stopping the worst bills from reaching his desk though?
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2018, 01:01:11 AM »

I think they're both from the same strand of self-righteousness, but Abbott hasn't been that awful of a governor. Not enough to earn my vote, but still better than Cruz.
How much of that is Joe Straus stopping the worst bills from reaching his desk though?
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2018, 01:01:47 AM »

As a Texan speaking, there's really not much more than can be done. The education/infrastructure budget was Kansas before there was Kansas. There's already no income tax, so it's not like there's much more conservatives could want in this state.
Littlefinger
Rookie
United States

« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2018, 02:20:08 PM »

Dems saw nearly 300% increase in turnout compared to 2014 while Reps saw 84% increase on day 1 of early voting in Tarrant county (Fort Worth/Arlington).

https://twitter.com/TXElects/status/966105527892758533

However, the number for Dems weren't great in Bexar county (San Antonio) as there was a 16% decrease in turnout while Reps saw a 38% increase compared to 2014.

https://twitter.com/TXElects/status/966141778914136065
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies