MS Megathread: Hyde-Smith wins by 8
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 03:56:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MS Megathread: Hyde-Smith wins by 8
« previous next »
Thread note

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 73
Poll
Question: ..............
Yes
No
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: MS Megathread: Hyde-Smith wins by 8  (Read 143462 times)
Arkansas Yankee
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: December 22, 2017, 11:54:23 PM »

If Bryant has to make an appointment in January, I think he'd be very likely to go with a placeholder - setting up a potentially nasty GOP primary between McDaniel, Stacey Pickering and Gregg Harper.

Are Harper and Wicker both from the 1st District?  Wouldn’t that be dangerous.
Would McDaniel run as well now as he did against Cochran?

Harper is from Metro Jackson and is the former chairman of the Rankin County GOP, so he has very strong fundraising base that makes him a formidable candidate.

McDaniel would benefit from good statewide recognition and a probable Bannon endorsement, but I think he's damaged goods - however, in a crowded primary its likely that he would get through. 

There would be a runoff right?
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #151 on: December 23, 2017, 09:16:01 AM »

If Bryant has to make an appointment in January, I think he'd be very likely to go with a placeholder - setting up a potentially nasty GOP primary between McDaniel, Stacey Pickering and Gregg Harper.

Harper is from Metro Jackson and is the former chairman of the Rankin County GOP, so he has very strong fundraising base that makes him a formidable candidate.

McDaniel would benefit from good statewide recognition and a probable Bannon endorsement, but I think he's damaged goods - however, in a crowded primary its likely that he would get through. 

If no one gets over 50%, yes.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #152 on: December 23, 2017, 02:00:56 PM »

However, I just realized that the fact that this is a nonpartisan special election changes the dynamic drastically.  That means if the Dems run a semi-decent candidate they’re almost guaranteed a runoff spot due to the high floor provided by Black voters.  The top Republican after him would most likely get the other spot, with almost no possibility for an R vs R runoff.

In this case a Presley vs McDaniel general is almost a certainty should both of these candidates run.  In this case, Bryant’s best move might be to appoint someone like Harper in an attempt to hold the seat (assuming that Bryant is completely opposed to the idea of a Senator McDaniel, which I’m not certain of).
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #153 on: December 23, 2017, 03:30:47 PM »

However, I just realized that the fact that this is a nonpartisan special election changes the dynamic drastically.  That means if the Dems run a semi-decent candidate they’re almost guaranteed a runoff spot due to the high floor provided by Black voters.  The top Republican after him would most likely get the other spot, with almost no possibility for an R vs R runoff.

In this case a Presley vs McDaniel general is almost a certainty should both of these candidates run.  In this case, Bryant’s best move might be to appoint someone like Harper in an attempt to hold the seat (assuming that Bryant is completely opposed to the idea of a Senator McDaniel, which I’m not certain of).

I think you just made very good points. Also, I guess it should be taken into account that runoffs more often than not produce lower turnout than previous elections besides the Republican primary of 2014. That should, I assume, help whoever the Democratic candidate would be, which would likely be Presley in this case.

As of now, I see Bryant going the safe route and appointing someone like Harper as you've mentioned, but it does make me wonder what Bryant thinks of McDaniel.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #154 on: December 23, 2017, 07:37:41 PM »

Hope he does
gespb19
United States

« Reply #155 on: December 26, 2017, 02:13:09 PM »

Heard Reeves might be appointed. Could be a Reeves/Presley/McDaniel race with maybe 1-2 other people that run but won’t have a chance.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #156 on: December 26, 2017, 05:05:21 PM »

Barbour is pretty much the personification of the Swamp, and Double Down hinted that he had “peccadilloes” in his past, which is usually a beltway political journalist euphemism for extramarital affairs, so I doubt he could make it through a primary these days: he’d probably lose to McDaniel or another bomb-thrower.
Kyle Rittenhouse is a Political Prisoner
Jalawest2

« Reply #157 on: December 27, 2017, 08:16:17 PM »

Thad Cochran should definitely retire. He's old, half senile, and was never in the greatest condition even when he was younger, apparently being an alcoholic in the 80s.
Presley does seem like the most likely democratic candidate, and McDaniel came damn near to winning last time for the GOP, so he might very well win their nomination this time. In the sort of environment we're having, in a democratic wave year, I'd be predicting Presley by 1 or 2, but right now it's still probably Lean R if it occurs. Wicker vs. Mabus in the national environment we're having is probably Wicker by 8, Likely R, going to Lean D if Hood decides to jump in.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #158 on: December 28, 2017, 10:59:54 AM »

That's a week old article which has been discussed to death.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #159 on: December 29, 2017, 03:59:41 PM »

If Cochran resigns, will the primary be in June?
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #160 on: December 29, 2017, 07:39:09 PM »

Cochran was 35 years old the first time he was sworn in as a member of the House in Jan. 1973, so he has spent more than half of his life serving as a member of Congress, House and Senate service combined.
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #161 on: December 29, 2017, 07:41:43 PM »

Cochran was 35 years old the first time he was sworn in as a member of the House in Jan. 1973, so he has spent more than half of his life serving as a member of Congress, House and Senate service combined.
Yeah, it's really time for him to retire.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #162 on: December 29, 2017, 07:42:28 PM »

When John Dingell retired, he had spent over 2/3rds of his life in the House.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #163 on: December 29, 2017, 07:48:33 PM »

When John Dingell retired, he had spent over 2/3rds of his life in the House.

He's still going strong on Twitter, too. Kind of wish he'd have stayed in the House, although he definitely deserves retirement.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #164 on: January 01, 2018, 01:11:36 AM »

All of yall are wrong. Cochran should stay in the Senate, and if he's still alive, run again in 2020.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #165 on: January 04, 2018, 12:23:29 PM »

If he resigns, his successor won't be Harper.
Pessimistic Antineutrino
Pessimistic Antineutrino
United States

« Reply #166 on: January 04, 2018, 12:38:22 PM »

Maybe he's prepping a governor run while Reeves takes the Senate seat?
Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #167 on: January 05, 2018, 07:49:21 AM »

Frankly I think if he wanted to run for something he would of just stayed. I think Harper is out for good.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #168 on: January 05, 2018, 09:01:56 AM »

Stacy Pickering?
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #169 on: January 05, 2018, 04:26:34 PM »

Any possibility of Lott as a caretaker?
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #170 on: January 05, 2018, 10:07:15 PM »

Any possibility of Lott as a caretaker?
No. Lott himself resigned.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #171 on: January 19, 2018, 10:24:47 AM »

Brandon Presley won't be a candidate for U.S. Senate in 2018.

Also, is there any way to rename this thread something like:  "MS 2018 Megathread?"  Most of the discussion here has strayed from the original topic (a possible Cochran resignation) and we could even combine the thread on Harper's retirement with this one.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #172 on: January 19, 2018, 10:48:14 AM »

Also, is there any way to rename this thread something like:  "MS 2018 Megathread?"  Most of the discussion here has strayed from the original topic (a possible Cochran resignation) and we could even combine the thread on Harper's retirement with this one.

Against Wicker, he never said he wouldn’t run in a special.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #173 on: January 19, 2018, 11:35:22 AM »

Eh, he doesn't mention anything about Wicker specifically.  And his statement is construed in such a way that is a pretty inclusive 'no' about going to Washington at all this year. 

Also, I don't think we'll be getting a special election this year.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #174 on: January 19, 2018, 11:39:42 AM »

Eh, he doesn't mention anything about Wicker specifically.  And his statement is construed in such a way that is a pretty inclusive 'no' about going to Washington at all this year. 

Also, I don't think we'll be getting a special election this year.

What's the latest date that Cochran could resign that would still allow/require a special election this year?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 73  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies