Donald Trump Goes All In On Slashing Legal Immigration
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 10:35:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Donald Trump Goes All In On Slashing Legal Immigration
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Author Topic: Donald Trump Goes All In On Slashing Legal Immigration  (Read 5385 times)
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: August 02, 2017, 05:24:53 PM »

I have no problem with legal immigrants, just the illegal ones.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #76 on: August 02, 2017, 06:24:48 PM »

Trump did specifically say immigrants and minorities are being affected by higher levels as well.

Also why are people saying that stopping low skilled workers means stopping minorities? That doesn't seem right.

I highly HIGHLY doubt this is race based. Again, I would prefer to not see this passed, but I highly doubt there are any racial motives.

Indeed, skilled immigrants are MORE likely to be Indian, Chinese or educated Africans. A policy like this would certainly harm Latin American, Filipino and Hmong, but it's essentially trading one minority group for another.

Have to imagine this policy would also harm white immigrants from former Eastern Bloc countries, particularly in the Balkans and Caucasus
That's why this policy is pretty bad and why I still oppose it.  It ends up hurting at least one group in the end.  Again, benefits for some, losses for others.

To be clear, I think this is a bad bill. As the son of immigrants I bristle at attacks on immigrants - you're attacking me and my family when you question what immigrants do for this country.

I do think a merit based system has value and that exploring what Canada does would be valuable, since they assimilate their immigrants very well, but we should think very carefully as we reform our very flawed immigration system.

This proposal fails to meet that standard IMO and is a total base play meant to stir anger and division.

Edit: the "you're" in there was general, not directed at you, TheSaint.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #77 on: August 02, 2017, 06:42:49 PM »

Trump needs to focus on tax reform not BS bills like this . Tax reform is much better for the country than BS bills like this .
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #78 on: August 02, 2017, 07:30:56 PM »

Trump needs to focus on tax reform not BS bills like this . Tax reform is much better for the country than BS bills like this .

Tax reform requires him to actually work, you see.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #79 on: August 02, 2017, 07:36:54 PM »

Somewhat related to this topic: in a social survey of 8,000 voters by the Democracy Fund, a bipartisan foundation that funds political research, 30% of Trump voters said that European ancestry is an important component of being American; in contrast, just 9% of Kasich voters agreed. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/02/upshot/the-great-political-divide-over-american-identity.html
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #80 on: August 02, 2017, 07:38:24 PM »

If they increase the number of immigrants accepted and scrap the english requirement, I could see this legislation passing.

We want to make sure our immigrants are net positives and not net negatives on our nation's finances.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #81 on: August 02, 2017, 07:46:54 PM »

If they increase the number of immigrants accepted and scrap the english requirement, I could see this legislation passing.

We want to make sure our immigrants are net positives and not net negatives on our nation's finances.

A merit system with less hoops to jump through, an overhaul of the green card "lottery", a focus on skills and the families of those already here, e-verify and an increase in persons accepted would have my full support
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #82 on: August 02, 2017, 07:52:42 PM »

Most of the idiots out there praising this bill would fail an English exam if one were placed in front of them.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #83 on: August 02, 2017, 08:02:36 PM »

Tax reform requires him to actually work, you see.

Congress can pass that with 50 votes and moderate Republican support tax cuts while they dont support this bill
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #84 on: August 02, 2017, 08:18:29 PM »

White House Distances Itself From The Poem On The Statue Of Liberty

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Daniel909012
Rookie
« Reply #85 on: August 02, 2017, 08:26:21 PM »

The statue is just that and it's french, Acosta can claim to canada australia and new zealand to welcome those "poor"
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #86 on: August 02, 2017, 08:31:57 PM »

The statue is just that and it's french, Acosta can claim to canada australia and new zealand to welcome those "poor"

Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #87 on: August 02, 2017, 08:32:56 PM »

We should give the old hag back to the French. Trade her in for a younger, blonder model.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #88 on: August 02, 2017, 08:35:32 PM »

We should give the old hag back to the French. Trade her in for a younger, blonder model.

It just needs to be Trumpified

Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #89 on: August 02, 2017, 08:37:40 PM »

As an immigrant, it's sad - but not surprising - to see the blatant xenophobia and racism in this thread.
Daniel909012
Rookie
« Reply #90 on: August 02, 2017, 08:41:30 PM »

I am half immigrant and I support this reform, Bill clinton was the last Democrat I liked.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #91 on: August 02, 2017, 08:44:21 PM »

I am half immigrant and I support this reform, Bill clinton was the last Democrat I liked.
The hell is a "half immigrant"?!
Daniel909012
Rookie
« Reply #92 on: August 02, 2017, 08:46:57 PM »

American father Spanish mother
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #93 on: August 02, 2017, 08:59:46 PM »

Since it's obvious that this has drawn bipartisan opposition, my #hottake is that this is Trump's way of testing the waters for that independent White House thing that was reported last week.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #94 on: August 02, 2017, 09:02:12 PM »

And yet the Deplorables on Atlas, think this Miller-Clown got one over on Acosta ?
LOL.
This joke is on you, trump & Co.
SNJ1985
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #95 on: August 02, 2017, 09:06:37 PM »

And yet the Deplorables on Atlas, think this Miller-Clown got one over on Acosta ?
LOL.

Are you disputing Miller's objectively, undeniably true claim that the poem in question was not always a part of the Statue of Liberty...?
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #96 on: August 02, 2017, 09:09:59 PM »

American father Spanish mother

That's not how immigration works, my friend. You don't "inherit" immigrant status.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #97 on: August 02, 2017, 09:11:26 PM »

Most American immigration is charity. Full stop.

The immigrants get richer. The people already here get poorer.

If these immigrants are such a boon to the economy, why did they have to immigrate in the first place? Why are their countries of origin so poor?

Why does coming to America suddenly make them so profitable?

The answer is, it doesn't. They simply get richer because when they come here and have children, they qualify for benefits paid for by the American tax payer.

It should not be an imperative that US taxpayers have to continue giving out charity like this.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #98 on: August 02, 2017, 09:16:52 PM »

LOL.

Are you disputing Miller's objectively, undeniably true claim that the poem in question was not always a part of the Statue of Liberty...?

They also call him a Nazi even though he's Jewish. It's clear, as I've said before, they literally think anyone who opposes immigration is a Nazi. 

They think anyone skeptical of the idea that adding millions of poor people will somehow make everyone richer must be motivated by race hatred.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #99 on: August 02, 2017, 09:19:45 PM »

Most American immigration is charity. Full stop.

The immigrants get richer. The people already here get poorer.

If these immigrants are such a boon to the economy, why did they have to immigrate in the first place? Why are their countries of origin so poor?

Why does coming to America suddenly make them so profitable?

The answer is, it doesn't. They simply get richer because when they come here and have children, they qualify for benefits paid for by the American tax payer.

It should not be an imperative that US taxpayers have to continue giving out charity like this.

Surprisingly, immigrants also pay taxes. I know it's a difficult concept to grasp, but nonwhites are also people, and they pay taxes. Meaning they also qualify for benefits.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies