Gianforte's win is a sea change for US politics; Violence is OK now
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:36:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gianforte's win is a sea change for US politics; Violence is OK now
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Is it time to fight back?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 29

Author Topic: Gianforte's win is a sea change for US politics; Violence is OK now  (Read 3327 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2017, 05:17:55 PM »

I heard the exact same stuff about my college when I was a democrat in the early 90s. Almost to a tee. Am I African studies course my senior year I argued with the professor about afrocentrism being a fundamentally flawed paradigm like eurocentrism. I argued vociferous Lee with several students about it.

Did I get shunned for speaking my mind against the broadly held alternative you? No, I became friends with a lot of these students. Did the professor tisk tisk me and make me feel like an ass? No, he gave me an A and wrote a recommendation for me to law school.

Good for you.  But many professors today would act differently.  Today, race is considered supremely important by politically active college students.  Race is inserted into every discussion.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I've seen no evidence for that.  Conservatives are tired of being labeled racist and sexist for no reason.

Horse manure. I have friends who are college students and their recounting of situations are no different. Lord knows the whining of conservatives is literally word for word identical. I am guaranteeing you having been a college student then and more than a little familiar about what goes on in campuses today that there is no damn difference.

The conservatives want to stop being thought of his racist and sexist they should stop supporting any Conservative candidate who says racist and sexist things or holds racist or sexist policies. There are a few left I think.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2017, 05:22:01 PM »

I heard the exact same stuff about my college when I was a democrat in the early 90s. Almost to a tee. Am I African studies course my senior year I argued with the professor about afrocentrism being a fundamentally flawed paradigm like eurocentrism. I argued vociferous Lee with several students about it.

Did I get shunned for speaking my mind against the broadly held alternative you? No, I became friends with a lot of these students. Did the professor tisk tisk me and make me feel like an ass? No, he gave me an A and wrote a recommendation for me to law school.

Good for you.  But many professors today would act differently.  Today, race is considered supremely important by politically active college students.  Race is inserted into every discussion.

I've seen no evidence for that.  Conservatives are tired of being labeled racist and sexist for no reason.

Horse manure. I have friends who are college students and their recounting of situations are no different. Lord knows the whining of conservatives is literally word for word identical. I am guaranteeing you having been a college student then and more than a little familiar about what goes on in campuses today that there is no damn difference.

The conservatives want to stop being thought of his racist and sexist they should stop supporting any Conservative candidate who says racist and sexist things or holds racist or sexist policies. There are a few left I think.

This type of thing started before Trump announced he would run.  College students were fed toxic ideas before 2015.  The idea that not wanting companies to be forced to pay for birth control is sexist and the idea that opposing affirmative action is racist are not conducive to civil debate.

Anti-Trump Republicans are still called these things.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2017, 05:22:46 PM »

It happened the day before the election and there was early voting, so it's hard to tell how many voters were actually put off by the attack. Besides, I think something like this happening in a swing district would actually sink a candidate.
EnglishPete

« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2017, 05:27:44 PM »

ah yeah, supporters doing sh**t and politicans punching journalists is ofc the same level.

In some ways. In terms of 'supporters doing sh**t' the reason why violence got out of hand in places like san Jose, Berkeley, Chicago and Portland is that Democratic Party politicians winked at the violence. They excused it, ordered the police to stand down so that it would get out of control and then blamed the victims for provoking and otherwise  causing the violence.

Remember last year during the debates. Undercover footage showing paid Dem operatives boasting about being involved in a violent demonstration that prevented a Trump rally in Chicago had recently been released. Then during the debates instead of disavowing or apologising for the violence she actually had the nerve to blame Trump and his supporters for the violence. So yes its not just supporters, politicians play a crucial role in making this kind of violence happen and furthermore its preplanned, which to my mind is rather worse than someone snapping and pushing back some blogger who is accosting him.

As for being a 'journalist' well what is a journalist? A 'journalist' is just a blogger with pretentions that his chosen trade is a profession. Some Guardian blogger accosting a politician and getting in his face (and then inventing a transparently exaggerated story about how hard he was pushed back) has no special status above any other member of the public doing the same.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2017, 05:28:51 PM »

Even though I have him on ignore, I couldn't resist seeing what English Pete had to post about this. He's predictable if nothing else.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2017, 05:32:46 PM »

Some Guardian blogger accosting a politician and getting in his face (and then inventing a transparently exaggerated story about how hard he was pushed back) has no special status above any other member of the public doing the same.

in fact he downplayed his own beating, maybe cause he was too shocked and everything went too fast.

the fox news camera crew told the world about the shocking and unhinged violence which really took place.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2017, 05:33:31 PM »

Some Guardian blogger accosting a politician and getting in his face (and then inventing a transparently exaggerated story about how hard he was pushed back) has no special status above any other member of the public doing the same.

in fact he downplayed his own beating, maybe cause he was too shocked and everything went too fast.

the fox news camera crew told the world about the shocking and unhinged violence which really took place.
Post incident, Ben Jacobs has been nothing but professional. The night of the incident is still murky.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2017, 05:39:33 PM »

Guys, I know passions are high, and yes there are provocations out there, and it's understandable to be angry (I'm absolutely appalled and concerned myself), but we need to turn the temperature down here. Thank you.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2017, 05:39:47 PM »

Post incident, Ben Jacobs has been nothing but professional. The night of the incident is still murky.

"Murky". Roll Eyes

And therein lies another implicit defense of pianoforte. But hey, he was just among those fighting back against threatening liberals.
EnglishPete

« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2017, 05:42:08 PM »

So you would put Milo and a reporter from the guardian at the same level.
I certainly wouldn't put Milo and Ben Jacobs of the Guardian at the same level.

What's interesting is someone who purports to being on the right and a republican would evidently strongly prefer a left wing SJW blog like theguardian.com to a conservative blog like milo.yiannopoulos.net. Are you sure you're on the right?
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2017, 05:43:21 PM »

"Murky". Roll Eyes

And therein lies another implicit defense of pianoforte. But hey, he was just among those fighting back against threatening liberals.

i am never going to understand sanchez's deep-seated hate of the media but he has rejected GF as soon as it was clear, what has happened.

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2017, 05:44:38 PM »

"Murky". Roll Eyes

i am never going to understand sanchez's deep-seated hate of the media but he has rejected GF as soon as it was clear, what has happened.

Thank you. Badger is not entitled to his own facts.
Foucaulf
« Reply #62 on: May 26, 2017, 05:46:05 PM »

As someone who clearly takes one side on this issue but have mostly sat out of this debate, let me tell you what I think every time I see these threads erupt: "8 years."

The rhetorical undercurrent in the right that happened during the Obama administration's 8 years is to view independent political institutions as part of a grand ideological conspiracy. The connection between academia and liberal politics has been pushed for decades (as people here would know), as well as the "mainstream media," but now it's been heightened to include all reporters, all activists, bankers along with all major corporations (who have accepted today's more socially liberal atmosphere as a way to continue growth) and soon enough entire ethnic groups in the U.S. (see taboos around anti-Semitism being broken).

Case in point: right after Trump's election, you would see these made-up stories on social media about how protesters and "antifa" are really funded by George Soros. I think most of us here thought this is ridiculous and only approached it mockingly. But a semi-intended consequence of establishing these stories is so they could be reused as ammunition in debates like these. If not explicitly cited, their presence conditions the mind into a weird thing.

This is the thing - for all that's been said about college activists, even if they are ideologues, getting that education offers them future mobility and the thought that someone eventually grows out of radicalism. I and other people with economic opportunity can see this. This is not true for people lacking economic opportunity; ideology eats them whole. It is the right wing who now subscribe the most to systematic theories of the world, to the point where they'll overanalyze a college student giving them a stare walking across the road.

I just think to myself: "how can I fight back against all of this?" I don't, since if I do I will feed into others' paranoia anyway. Better to let them digest this information by themselves and take up their moral frailty with God.
EnglishPete

« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2017, 05:48:06 PM »
« Edited: May 26, 2017, 05:53:13 PM by EnglishPete »

Oh sure, and yet they didn't manage to get any pictures of this 'shocking violence' despite being a camera crew. And sure Jacobs downplayed it, well apart from shouting 'you bodyslammed me' loudly and clearly so that the audio recorder would have it on record. Why do you think I might be reminded of this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B6K7iiV_zk
EnglishPete

« Reply #64 on: May 26, 2017, 05:55:00 PM »

Oh sure, and yet they didn't manage to get any pictures of this 'shocking violence' despite being a camera crew. And sure Jacobs downplayed it, well apart from shouting 'you bodyslammed me' loudly and clearly so that the audio recorder would have it on record. Why do you think I might be reminded of this  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B6K7iiV_zk  ?

Batboy has a recording of the video....unfortunately he's getting blazed with Roger Stone

ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2017, 05:58:43 PM »
« Edited: May 26, 2017, 06:03:56 PM by ApatheticAustrian »

Oh sure, and yet they didn't manage to get any pictures of this 'shocking violence' despite being a camera crew. And sure Jacobs downplayed it, well apart from shouting 'you bodyslammed me' loudly and clearly so that the audio recorder would have it on record. Why do you think I might be reminded of this  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B6K7iiV_zk  ?

Batboy has a recording of the video....unfortunately he's getting blazed with Roger Stone

i am sure, michelle fields, ben shapiro and kurt badella are - together with Acuna - all part of the soros-illuminati conspiracy to take down the conservativr movement from within. #renegadejews
EnglishPete

« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2017, 06:07:21 PM »
« Edited: May 26, 2017, 06:13:15 PM by EnglishPete »

i am sure, michelle fields, ben shapiro and kurt badella are all part of the soros-illuminati conspiracy to take down the conservativr movement from within. #renegadejews
If you had watched the report you would have seen that Shapiro and Badella are not mentioned in it.

Frankly for you to complain that a report showing evidence that a couple of reporters deliberately lied is a 'conspiracy theory' is a bit rich given all the pushing of the 'Trump conspired with Russia' evidence free conspiracy theory we've seen around here.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies