Gianforte's win is a sea change for US politics; Violence is OK now
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:11:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gianforte's win is a sea change for US politics; Violence is OK now
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Is it time to fight back?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 29

Author Topic: Gianforte's win is a sea change for US politics; Violence is OK now  (Read 3316 times)
ssuperflash
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 26, 2017, 02:29:11 PM »

This victory yesterday, in a very real sense, legitimizes violence in politics. A US Congressman was elected a day after beating a reporter on tape, with two witnesses to the crime. It's time for the people on this forum to realize that we need to fight back, and to end these half measures of compromise with the conservatives. I would posit that the best way to respond is to continue at these town halls, to continue moving to the left, and to continue with the Bernie wing of the party. Never surrender to these thugs.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 02:47:26 PM »

This but only somewhat ironically
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 02:51:29 PM »

I have been saying for some time now that we (the left, or the miscellaneous anti-Trumpian forces) need to admit to ourselves that our opponents are willing, even eager, purveyors of violence. And that they have no respect for, nor belief in, democracy. That DOES NOT mean immediately resorting to violence ourselves. Even if there were not many other considerations  - and there are -  violent politics has something like half the success rate of non-violent protest.

It DOES mean being prepared for violence from our opponents. We need to understand that they are NOT a legitimate opposition with whom we may disagree with all involved staying inside the framework of democratic government that we've had. We need to understand the reality we're facing, and find the best responses to it. With 'the best' meaning those most effective at stopping them, while simultaneously promoting the values of freedom, justice and prosperity for everyone.

Also, it behooves us to remember the old words of wisdom: the first one to propose violence is always a Fedplant.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 02:54:06 PM »

I have been saying for some time now that we (the left, or the miscellaneous anti-Trumpian forces) need to admit to ourselves that our opponents are willing, even eager, purveyors of violence. And that they have no respect for, nor belief in, democracy. That DOES NOT mean immediately resorting to violence ourselves. Even if there were not many other considerations  - and there are -  violent politics has something like half the success rate of non-violent protest.

It DOES mean being prepared for violence from our opponents. We need to understand that they are NOT a legitimate opposition with whom we may disagree with all involved staying inside the framework of democratic government that we've had. We need to understand the reality we're facing, and find the best responses to it. With 'the best' meaning those most effective at stopping them, while simultaneously promoting the values of freedom, justice and prosperity for everyone.

Also, it behooves us to remember the old words of wisdom: the first one to propose violence is always a Fedplant.

Everything you said could be said about people on the left as well.  Stop pretending that your side collectively has the moral high ground.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 03:12:50 PM »
« Edited: May 26, 2017, 03:20:17 PM by We're never gonna have it so good! »

We're punching back against you guys if anything.

The last image is of a man who attempted to assassinate Trump by stealing a Secret Service agent's gun.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 03:22:36 PM »

Good ol' Sanchez ignoring the problems with his politics because Both Sides Do It™
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 03:24:02 PM »

Good ol' Sanchez ignoring the problems with his politics because Both Sides Do It™
The problem is your side. I'm not ignoring the problem at all. Your side does it.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017, 03:25:45 PM »

ah yeah, supporters doing sh**t and politicans punching journalists is ofc the same level.

why would the citizens got the right to know about GF's stance on AHCA?

krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2017, 03:26:09 PM »

What kind of silliness is this?

In 1856, Democrat Preston Brooks attacked Republican Charles Sumner with a cane because Sumner gave a speech against slavery. Then the Democrats elected him again.

It's ok if you are a Democrat of course.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2017, 03:27:18 PM »

ah yeah, supporters doing sh**t and politicans punching journalists is ofc the same level.
I've not repeatedly condemned Gianforte as "Crazy Greg?" The man's actions were wrong. But the bar has been lowered, and not by us.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2017, 03:27:35 PM »

In 1856, Democrat Preston Brooks attacked Republican Charles Sumner with a cane because Sumner gave a speech against slavery. Then the Democrats elected him again.

There is not a democrat in this country that sympathizes with Brooks, the more than a few brown people phobic Republicans like yourself who do.

Good job going back over 150 years to come up with even a piss poor comparison though. Admit you can't find even a better comparison because you are a cowardly poltroon
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2017, 03:29:36 PM »

You have to be a bit more subtle there buddy
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2017, 03:30:56 PM »

why would the citizens got the right to know about GF's stance on AHCA?

And more importantly, the presidential candidate turned president who openly and vociferous Lee urged on violent confrontations from his supporters to those who dared Heckle him. Go on Sanchez you pathetic little cocoon dweller. When did Clinton ever do that? When did Bernie ever do that? When did Obama ever do that? When did Terry ever do that? When did Amy presidential candidate Democrat in the last hundred years do that? When did any Republican presidential candidate in the last hundred years ever do that? The man who's Jacque you are affixed to has lower the bar, and you have strapped on your red boot laces in your typical white nationalist US versus them Zero Sum game. The only reason you disagree with that candidates actions is it almost cost you a seat, and beyond that it's no more than the other side does just as much.

Congratulations on finding all 4 photos. The reason you came up with him so quick as I'm guessing you have them on an instant link on your desktop because you have to pull this b******* argument out of your ass so often to try to look yourself in the mirror and say that you're doing good things and quote and quote reforming as a white supremacist end quote
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2017, 03:31:07 PM »

I'm not sure if 1856 is the best example to draw from if you're trying to downplay this...
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2017, 03:33:58 PM »

Badger, are the crows starting to peck at you up their on your cross?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2017, 03:35:24 PM »

Don't call me a martyr just cuz I'm pointing out you're a complete hypocrite and grotesquely tolerant of right-wing violence is somehow merely evening the score or something. Pretty weak argument, but nothing less than what we've come to assume
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2017, 03:36:12 PM »

I've not repeatedly condemned Gianforte as "Crazy Greg?" The man's actions were wrong. But the bar has been lowered, and not by us.

you have, sanchez, and i got no beef with ya, but comapring support doing shoot and the actions of elected politicans is.....one bridge too far, imho.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2017, 03:38:35 PM »

All I'm asking is that the left condemns its extremists.  Groups like Antifa won't just bash the fash, they'll bash anyone who doesn't conform to their extremist ideology.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2017, 03:41:26 PM »

Don't call me a martyr just cuz I'm pointing out you're a complete hypocrite and grotesquely tolerant of right-wing violence is somehow merely evening the score or something. Pretty weak argument, but nothing less than what we've come to assume
I mean, I must say that I'm at lost for words. You just had the most embarrassing meltdown on here since IndyTexas revealed he hates Jews.

you have, sanchez, and i got no beef with ya, but comapring support doing shoot and the actions of elected politicans is.....one bridge too far, imho.
What seperates Gianforte the man from Gianforte the politician though? It's not like he's a Republican invented robot (or is he?)
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2017, 03:43:47 PM »

What seperates Gianforte the man from Gianforte the politician though? It's not like he's a Republican invented robot (or is he?)

he wants to represent people, kind of a majority if not all inside of his state and he thinks, doding a tricky question can be done with violence.....

miss coakley got rightfully "punished" for similar behaviour by her goons.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2017, 03:50:00 PM »

You can't handle your own internalized hatred. Pathetic. I thought you were a grown man. I'm honored you think I'm a GOP operative though.

I bet you just can't wait to get your hands on her, huh Badger?
Dude I'm sorry you are so damn desperate for attention that you have to post lies and be the unredeemable bigot that posts sh**t and bile all over this forum.

So here, attention.  Does this make the nazi's pathetic life better?  Does it make going to sleep at night, cause I know being such an ass can have a draining effect on your mental state?  As we can see with your decline in post quality since Trump became such an ineffective sh**t.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2017, 03:53:08 PM »

I mean, I must say that I'm at lost for words. You just had the most embarrassing meltdown on here since IndyTexas revealed he hates Jews.

Stop attempting to act clever and above The Fray, child. You're simply unable two coherently respond with a valid comparison of a presidential candidate urging violence Upon a ponitz, second amendment Solutions two opposing candidates, and your entire party having taking up the flag of this man's tactics. You in particular

Your dumbfounding attempts to somehow distinguish the man and the politician are quite telling. Basically you are willing to accept his attacking a reporter as nothing more than a campaign tactical error that nearly lost him a seat because, at heart, he opposes Obamacare, wants to help reconfigure the Judiciary, will help push through Ryan's budget, and be another vote for Republican control. The fact that he is a violent assault of SOB is at best secondary to you, or really, as I said before, merely an example of conservatives fighting back from nasty left-wing violence.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2017, 03:58:14 PM »

Dear lord. 70% of the vote had been sent in pre-Slam. I think GF should be charged/arrested and not run in '18 but his win hardly signifies some kind of Rubicon being crossed
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2017, 03:59:31 PM »

All I'm asking is that the left condemns its extremists.  Groups like Antifa won't just bash the fash, they'll bash anyone who doesn't conform to their extremist ideology.

They already do, genius! When the anti-fascist types assault a bona fide neo-Nazi there is at least rigorous debate among left us whether that is remotely acceptable or not. Add to the fact that there is just a Teensy tiny bit of distinction between someone slugging somebody giving a public speech denying the Holocaust and espousing over white supremacy, versus 8th Congressional candidate Dash Dash and now Congressman dash dash slugging a reporter for one of the leading papers in the world for asking a tough question about Healthcare reform. I don't support the violence in either case, but to try to typify them as equal brands of extremism on both sides is laughable. White supremacist preaching Holocaust denial, reporter from internationally respected publication asking tough question on Healthcare. Random anarchist professional protesters, verses a congressman representing a state of a million people. Do you seriously not see any distinction here

And again, even then the left is it best split if not slightly opposed to even sucker-punching about Holocaust denial would be concentration camp guards. Heck, a significant number are opposed on Free Speech grounds to even non-violently shouting down extremist speech givers like Ann Coulter.

Stop with the what about and false comparisons people! Until the right gives up this delusion that it's merely fighting back against the real outside agitators on the left, we are going to see more and more and more of this. And like Sanchez, they will use any random Thug in a million who threw an egg at a trump campaign worker to justify curb-stomping and uppity left-wing reporter
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2017, 04:00:09 PM »

Everything you said could be said about people on the left as well.  Stop pretending that your side collectively has the moral high ground.

I think my recent comment from another thread on violence sum it all up:
Cue those falsely claiming that actions of random protesters on one side and prominent politicians on the other make both sides equivalent.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies