Gianforte's win is a sea change for US politics; Violence is OK now
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:41:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gianforte's win is a sea change for US politics; Violence is OK now
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Is it time to fight back?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 29

Author Topic: Gianforte's win is a sea change for US politics; Violence is OK now  (Read 3330 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2017, 04:04:34 PM »

First, the Rubicon was truly crossed When Donald Trump vociferous Lee and specifically urged his supporters to inflict violence on people who they are bruised his shining ego, offered to protect them illegally if they did, and his supporters ate it up by the troves. Can you imagine for a moment if Obama had ever did that and a couple black guys punched out and a white girl protesting his speech with an anti-abortion sign? Fox News would still be covering it on a nonstop Loop about black violence being whipped up against conservatives. Pianoforte is more a tragic, but still large, symptom of this Rubicon having been crossed.

Secondly, that's still says a lot. 30% of the vote total had not been cast that day. No candidate doing something like this in the pre Trump or pre Obama era could have realistically survived a close race after being formally charged with assaulting a reporter on Election Day. He could not have one but for a substantial majority of his election day vote knowing about the assault and simply not caring. He was anticipated to win and the assault undoubtedly cut into his margin, but I'm sorry it's still should have killed him under any normal circumstances and a relatively close race like this
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2017, 04:08:16 PM »

Guys, the Antifa protesters and other people you see getting into fights on YouTube and other people you talk about in AltRight circlejerks are not Democratic party officials or Democratic party elected members of government. I have not voted for them. I am not one of them. I have not supported them. No Democratic electorate has voted for them. The Guardian and other mainstream journalistic outlets have not hired them. Nor have they endorsed them. Denounce them all you want but that does not change that PF should be ejected from Congress pronto.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2017, 04:12:31 PM »

All I'm asking is that the left condemns its extremists.  Groups like Antifa won't just bash the fash, they'll bash anyone who doesn't conform to their extremist ideology.

They already do, genius! When the anti-fascist types assault a bona fide neo-Nazi there is at least rigorous debate among left us whether that is remotely acceptable or not. Add to the fact that there is just a Teensy tiny bit of distinction between someone slugging somebody giving a public speech denying the Holocaust and espousing over white supremacy, versus 8th Congressional candidate Dash Dash and now Congressman dash dash slugging a reporter for one of the leading papers in the world for asking a tough question about Healthcare reform. I don't support the violence in either case, but to try to typify them as equal brands of extremism on both sides is laughable. White supremacist preaching Holocaust denial, reporter from internationally respected publication asking tough question on Healthcare. Random anarchist professional protesters, verses a congressman representing a state of a million people. Do you seriously not see any distinction here

And again, even then the left is it best split if not slightly opposed to even sucker-punching about Holocaust denial would be concentration camp guards. Heck, a significant number are opposed on Free Speech grounds to even non-violently shouting down extremist speech givers like Ann Coulter.

Stop with the what about and false comparisons people! Until the right gives up this delusion that it's merely fighting back against the real outside agitators on the left, we are going to see more and more and more of this. And like Sanchez, they will use any random Thug in a million who threw an egg at a trump campaign worker to justify curb-stomping and uppity left-wing reporter

Richard Spencer is a legitimate neo-Nazi.  Milo Yiannopoulos is not.  And neither is Chairman Sanchez.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2017, 04:16:32 PM »

Dear lord. 70% of the vote had been sent in pre-Slam. I think GF should be charged/arrested and not run in '18 but his win hardly signifies some kind of Rubicon being crossed

Only sensible post in this mess.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2017, 04:16:59 PM »

Ironic to see Badger devolve into conspiracy theories about false flags now. Maybe he thinks I was the guy with the Mexican flag in San Jose throwing the eggs or something because of my username.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2017, 04:18:51 PM »

All I'm asking is that the left condemns its extremists.  Groups like Antifa won't just bash the fash, they'll bash anyone who doesn't conform to their extremist ideology.

They already do, genius! When the anti-fascist types assault a bona fide neo-Nazi there is at least rigorous debate among left us whether that is remotely acceptable or not. Add to the fact that there is just a Teensy tiny bit of distinction between someone slugging somebody giving a public speech denying the Holocaust and espousing over white supremacy, versus 8th Congressional candidate Dash Dash and now Congressman dash dash slugging a reporter for one of the leading papers in the world for asking a tough question about Healthcare reform. I don't support the violence in either case, but to try to typify them as equal brands of extremism on both sides is laughable. White supremacist preaching Holocaust denial, reporter from internationally respected publication asking tough question on Healthcare. Random anarchist professional protesters, verses a congressman representing a state of a million people. Do you seriously not see any distinction here

And again, even then the left is it best split if not slightly opposed to even sucker-punching about Holocaust denial would be concentration camp guards. Heck, a significant number are opposed on Free Speech grounds to even non-violently shouting down extremist speech givers like Ann Coulter.

Stop with the what about and false comparisons people! Until the right gives up this delusion that it's merely fighting back against the real outside agitators on the left, we are going to see more and more and more of this. And like Sanchez, they will use any random Thug in a million who threw an egg at a trump campaign worker to justify curb-stomping and uppity left-wing reporter

Richard Spencer is a legitimate neo-Nazi.  Milo Yiannopoulos is not.  And neither is Chairman Sanchez.

So you would put Milo and a reporter from the guardian at the same level. Interesting. Again, I don't condone even at face value violence against either one. The real response here is Beats post directly above yours. Read it for an understanding of the real problem here.
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2017, 04:20:51 PM »

Guys, the Antifa protesters and other people you see getting into fights on YouTube and other people you talk about in AltRight circlejerks are not Democratic party officials or Democratic party elected members of government. I have not voted for them. I am not one of them. I have not supported them. No Democratic electorate has voted for them. The Guardian and other mainstream journalistic outlets have not hired them. Nor have they endorsed them. Denounce them all you want but that does not change that PF should be ejected from Congress pronto.

College campuses have created an environment where Antifa and like-minded people are tolerated.  And today's college students are tomorrow's leaders.  In 20 years we will see people like the Bikelock guy in public office.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2017, 04:22:15 PM »

Badger, are the crows starting to peck at you up their on your cross?

The government that can do injustice to people that you dislike can turn against you quickly.
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2017, 04:23:58 PM »

So you would put Milo and a reporter from the guardian at the same level. Interesting. Again, I don't condone even at face value violence against either one. The real response here is Beats post directly above yours. Read it for an understanding of the real problem here.

I would not put Milo at the same level as a reporter.  I don't like Milo and I don't like Trump.  But if Milo is invited to speak somewhere, people should just deal with the fact that someone they disagree with is going to speak.  Some people couldn't handle that.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2017, 04:24:58 PM »

College campuses have created an environment where Antifa and like-minded people are tolerated.  And today's college students are tomorrow's leaders.  In 20 years we will see people like the Bikelock guy in public office.

That's like saying some violent anti-Vietnam protester will be national leader in 20 years, in 1966. 20 years later, the leader was Ronald Reagan. For all we know some top kek cartoon frog tweeting /pol/ sh**tposter will be national leader in 20 years.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2017, 04:25:38 PM »

Oh please. That is such a complete red herring. There is damn near nowhere outside of Berkeley that anti-violence is tolerated. They said the same thing about anti Vietnam War protesters who would be the end of the country when they took office and somehow I think John Kerry and others of his generation didn't do too badly.

Please please please please stop deluding yourself with a it's just as bad because Berkeley
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2017, 04:27:47 PM »

I would not put Milo at the same level as a reporter.  I don't like Milo and I don't like Trump.  But if Milo is invited to speak somewhere, people should just deal with the fact that someone they disagree with is going to speak.  Some people couldn't handle that.

Agreed. And here's the difference. Almost no one outside of Berkley, if that, woodfolk to elect someone who slugged Milo for asking a tough question to Congress, let alone making them a leader of the local Democratic Party. It's Berkeley versus Montana. One is just a tad more representative of the extreme versus the mainstream
I Won - Get Over It
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2017, 04:28:13 PM »

Bush destabilized Iraq, indirectly giving rise to ISIS who burn people alive. Thousands of people died. Didn't apology (Blair did).
Obama destabilized Libya,  indirectly helping ISIS. Thousands of people died. Thinks 'intervening was right thing to do' though 'failing to plan for the day after' was probably 'his worst mistake'.

Gianforte body-slammed a reporter. Says
You must be logged in to read this quote.

What a good fellows!
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2017, 04:33:10 PM »

Bush destabilized Iraq, indirectly giving rise to ISIS who burn people alive. Thousands of people died. Didn't apology (Blair did).
Obama destabilized Libya,  indirectly helping ISIS. Thousands of people died. Thinks 'intervening was right thing to do' though 'failing to plan for the day after' was probably 'his worst mistake'.

Gianforte body-slammed a reporter. Says

What a good fellows!
If he really meant it rather than being politically expedient in trying to defuse the situation, he would have said this before the polls closed. But that would have admitted fault and possibly lost him the race.

Frankly, it's his supporters - - or at least the approximate 15% of State voters who still supported him on Election Day knowing about his assault, not to mention the many many early vote supporters of his who wouldn't have changed their minds anyway - - who I'm disappointed with more than he.
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2017, 04:36:36 PM »

oh come one...in the 60s/70s, they were blowing up college campuses and rioting on a near daily basis. Today it's just a bunch of hipsters swinging a bike lock that's so heavy that they fall over holding it.

Conservatives have been complaining about college campuses since Buckley wrote God and man at Yale in 1951.

I swear American politics is the same sh*t being complained about over and over

That's true, the protesters grew up.  And that might happen again.  But the '60s activists weren't demanding censorship, they were activists for freedom (though in a very flawed way).
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2017, 04:37:54 PM »

oh come one...in the 60s/70s, they were blowing up college campuses and rioting on a near daily basis. Today it's just a bunch of hipsters swinging a bike lock that's so heavy that they fall over holding it.

Conservatives have been complaining about college campuses since Buckley wrote God and man at Yale in 1951.

That's true, the protesters grew up.  And that might happen again.  But the '60s activists weren't demanding censorship, they were activists for freedom (though in a very flawed way).
It is funny that the purveyors of National Lampoons are now the voices saying "you can't say that" or "you can't do that."
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2017, 04:40:00 PM »

It is funny that the purveyors of National Lampoons are now the voices saying "you can't say that" or "you can't do that."

Yeah, and then there's the people advocating for resegregation.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2017, 04:41:36 PM »

Piss off you deluded little spambot in a bubble. You reek and crawl and stretch for the most desperate and pathetic attempts at parody where none exists outside your own little white nationalist cocoon. It's your world that's under threat because you are a republican operative and you could not give a flying crap about anyone outside your world who is threatened. Stop it Sanchez you ignorant and worthless posting little twerp. I have tried to restrain myself as much as possible in this post, but you have just broken my patience. This is not to separate opinions this is you throwing over facts and getting ready to break your red boot laces back on so you and English Pete can go teach those dirty left-wingers what real violence means.

I'm done with you and even pretending that you have any redeeming qualities to this form whatsoever you little racist unreformed neo-Nazi. Now please mods, protect this in the name of free speech you bunch of hypocritical Goons
Err, you're one of the most uninteresting people on this forum. Who cares about your "patience"?

Who are you again?

Oh yeah, the one note wonder who doesn't distinguish between Israel's right to exist and Israel Uber Alles. Very fascinating posting history there
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2017, 04:44:00 PM »

Piss off you deluded little spambot in a bubble. You reek and crawl and stretch for the most desperate and pathetic attempts at parody where none exists outside your own little white nationalist cocoon. It's your world that's under threat because you are a republican operative and you could not give a flying crap about anyone outside your world who is threatened. Stop it Sanchez you ignorant and worthless posting little twerp. I have tried to restrain myself as much as possible in this post, but you have just broken my patience. This is not to separate opinions this is you throwing over facts and getting ready to break your red boot laces back on so you and English Pete can go teach those dirty left-wingers what real violence means.

I'm done with you and even pretending that you have any redeeming qualities to this form whatsoever you little racist unreformed neo-Nazi. Now please mods, protect this in the name of free speech you bunch of hypocritical Goons
Err, you're one of the most uninteresting people on this forum. Who cares about your "patience"?

Who are you again?

Oh yeah, the one note wonder who doesn't distinguish between Israel's right to exist and Israel Uber Alles. Very fascinating posting history there
Boy you are particularly salty today, aren't you?
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2017, 04:46:01 PM »

cutting through this mud-throwing-battle.....

the rationale which is created on the fringe right, which seemingly today includes miss ingraham, several congressmen and grover norquist, is centered against the demand of the public for information.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2017, 04:48:33 PM »
« Edited: May 26, 2017, 04:51:02 PM by We're never gonna have it so good! »

College campuses have created an environment where Antifa and like-minded people are tolerated.  And today's college students are tomorrow's leaders.  In 20 years we will see people like the Bikelock guy in public office.

Not true...in 1967, there was a 300 student riot to prevent Dow Jones from speaking or recruiting at U of W due to the fact they made Napalm for the Vietnam War. There are other examples like Nixon being relentlessly booed at Oxford Union.

Like I said: just the same sh*t over and over
The people booing Nixon at Oxford were outside the hall, TBF. They just outnumbered the Nixon audience like a gazillion to one. Nor were they violent.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2017, 04:49:52 PM »
« Edited: May 26, 2017, 04:52:08 PM by The Gianforte Grapple »

That's true, the protesters grew up.  And that might happen again.  But the '60s activists weren't demanding censorship, they were activists for freedom (though in a very flawed way).

Not true...in 1967, there was a 300 student riot to prevent Dow Jones from speaking or recruiting at U of W due to the fact they made Napalm for the Vietnam War. There are other examples like Nixon being relentlessly booed at Oxford Union.

Wrong! We now have  internets, pink hats, the word "cuck", and Pepe!

That said, people are crazy. If you go to these things, don't start trouble but come prepared.
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2017, 04:56:25 PM »

In general the protesters of the '60s were demonstrating for freedom.  Today they police language, demand resegregation, talk about collective guilt, and want a safe space where they never have to hear a dissenting view.  And their professors by and large don't confront them and often support them.  Professors who confront the student mob are harassed.

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/dreher/hunting-of-bret-weinstein-evergreen-state/
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2017, 05:03:06 PM »

In general the protesters of the '60s were demonstrating for freedom.  Today they police language, demand resegregation, talk about collective guilt, and want a safe space where they never have to hear a dissenting view.  And their professors by and large don't confront them and often support them.  Professors who confront the student mob are harassed.

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/dreher/hunting-of-bret-weinstein-evergreen-state/

I heard the exact same stuff about my college when I was a democrat in the early 90s. Almost to a tee. Am I African studies course my senior year I argued with the professor about afrocentrism being a fundamentally flawed paradigm like eurocentrism. I argued vociferous Lee with several students about it.

Did I get shunned for speaking my mind against the broadly held alternative you? No, I became friends with a lot of these students. Did the professor tisk tisk me and make me feel like an ass? No, he gave me an A and wrote a recommendation for me to law school.

All too often I fear the real safe space seeking in college campuses nowadays are conservatives who aren't used to having people, let alone a majority of people, present an alternative worldview from bears. They aren't seeking the right to speak their mind, they are demanding the right to speak their mind and not faced criticism or blowback for it. And as pointed out, this isn't the way the world works
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2017, 05:09:10 PM »

I heard the exact same stuff about my college when I was a democrat in the early 90s. Almost to a tee. Am I African studies course my senior year I argued with the professor about afrocentrism being a fundamentally flawed paradigm like eurocentrism. I argued vociferous Lee with several students about it.

Did I get shunned for speaking my mind against the broadly held alternative you? No, I became friends with a lot of these students. Did the professor tisk tisk me and make me feel like an ass? No, he gave me an A and wrote a recommendation for me to law school.

Good for you.  But many professors today would act differently.  Today, race is considered supremely important by politically active college students.  Race is inserted into every discussion.

I've seen no evidence for that.  Conservatives are tired of being labeled racist and sexist for no reason.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies