ME: Independents Gaining Traction
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 10:46:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  ME: Independents Gaining Traction
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 30
Author Topic: ME: Independents Gaining Traction  (Read 65047 times)
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: May 20, 2018, 09:30:43 PM »

Betsy Sweet has won the Maine Young Democrats strawpoll:

MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #251 on: May 20, 2018, 09:38:14 PM »

Not sure if this was clarified prior, but are Mark and Donna Dion of any relation?
No. Mark Dion must be pissed that there's another Mark and another Dion in the race.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #252 on: May 20, 2018, 09:53:17 PM »

How big of an impact will her winning the YD Strawpoll have?

Also, Andrew, is your sig meant to be a parody of Ben Garrison?
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #253 on: May 20, 2018, 10:35:55 PM »

Not sure if this was clarified prior, but are Mark and Donna Dion of any relation?
No. Mark Dion must be pissed that there's another Mark and another Dion in the race.

So it safe to assume that Mark Dion is the product of a gene-splicing scheme that extracted biological material from both Eves and this Donna person in order to create the Perfect Candidate? Pretty odd choices of sources, then, especially since D. Dion is an unremarkable electoral failure.
Yes.

Mark Dion is an unapologetic progressive (like Mark Eves) who's also a cop, so he also has trouble communicating to people (like Donna Dion, except for the cop part). So he's definitely the product of gene splicing between the two.

On the topic of Donna: she didn't even show up to the convention, but sent along the most bizarre video laying out her platform. It was awkward and cringey.

How big of an impact will her winning the YD Strawpoll have?
Probably not much, but she can send out an email blast about it and get a few more $5 donations. It'll probably give her some buzz on social media.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #254 on: May 21, 2018, 09:08:29 PM »

Adam Cote is up with his second ad and it gently attacks Janet Mills. He and Mills seem to be the only candidates on air and have raised a decent amount of $$, so I will consider them the frontrunners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJMzP_mX4aw
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #255 on: May 21, 2018, 09:26:39 PM »

Adam Cote is up with his second ad and it gently attacks Janet Mills. He and Mills seem to be the only candidates on air and have raised a decent amount of $$, so I will consider them the frontrunners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJMzP_mX4aw
Mills is on air, too. Everyone is taking shots at her, which makes me think she's leading in internal polling.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #256 on: May 23, 2018, 12:29:55 AM »

Adam Cote releases an attack ad on Janet Mills quoting environmental groups, who immediately wish to be removed from the ad: http://stateandcapitol.bangordailynews.com/2018/05/22/maine-independents-strive-for-state-house-relevance/

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You can watch the original version of the ad here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJMzP_mX4aw
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #257 on: May 23, 2018, 11:54:59 AM »

Diane Russell under another ethics investigation.

And it’s not good.

_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #258 on: May 23, 2018, 11:57:45 AM »

And it’s not good.

Another one?  Something tells me this is why the DSA endorsed Sweet over her, they had to have known Russell had baggage.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #259 on: May 23, 2018, 12:00:31 PM »

And it’s not good.

Another one?  Something tells me this is why the DSA endorsed Sweet over her, they had to have known Russell had baggage.
You’re exacrly right. She had one while she was in the State House of Representatives, too.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #260 on: May 23, 2018, 12:05:10 PM »
« Edited: May 23, 2018, 01:15:58 PM by maineiac4434🌲🌹 »

http://bangordailynews.com/2018/05/23/opinion/editorials/adam-cote-offers-democrats-a-new-path-in-june-primary/

https://bangordailynews.com/2018/05/22/opinion/editorials/in-a-republican-primary-that-leaves-out-moderates-shawn-moody-is-top-choice/

BDN endorses Adam Cote and Shawn Moody in their respective primaries.
GoldenMainer
Rookie

« Reply #261 on: May 23, 2018, 01:09:44 PM »

I don't even know who I'm rooting for. It's nice to see two candidates from down my way (Cote and Eves) but I don't like either of them. I was leaning toward Mills since she's from the second district and that could help moderates swing toward Golden for ME02 if he pulls out the Dem nomination. I tend to like more progressive candidates but Russell is running a joke campaign. I need to give Sweet another look but my worry with her is that she'll seem super unelectable next to "small businessman everyday guy" Shawn Moody if he's the Republican nominee. Usually I'm firmly in someone's camp by now.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #262 on: May 23, 2018, 01:20:12 PM »

I don't even know who I'm rooting for. It's nice to see two candidates from down my way (Cote and Eves) but I don't like either of them. I was leaning toward Mills since she's from the second district and that could help moderates swing toward Golden for ME02 if he pulls out the Dem nomination. I tend to like more progressive candidates but Russell is running a joke campaign. I need to give Sweet another look but my worry with her is that she'll seem super unelectable next to "small businessman everyday guy" Shawn Moody if he's the Republican nominee. Usually I'm firmly in someone's camp by now.
Betsy is like Diane, except she’s electable. She’s also created two businesses and was a single mom to boot. Can’t get more everyday than that.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #263 on: May 23, 2018, 01:23:03 PM »

Favorite Candidates: Betsy Sweet, and Janet Mills is the weakest.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #264 on: May 23, 2018, 08:19:10 PM »

The news identifies Sweet as a lobbyist which I'm sure is the least attractive profession in politics.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #265 on: May 23, 2018, 09:43:32 PM »

The news identifies Sweet as a lobbyist which I'm sure is the least attractive profession in politics.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maine_Women%27s_Lobby
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #266 on: May 29, 2018, 07:43:02 PM »

Former Senate President and once-upon-a-time potential gubernatorial candidate Justin Alfond has endorsed Adam Cote today. Maine political prognosticators seem to think internal polling has it down to a race between Cote and Mills, and Alfond knows how unpopular Mills is so he's trying to use his clout to swing the election to Cote.

Also: a federal judge has ruled that the GOP has to use ranked choice voting in the primary, which is two weeks away. Mary Mayhew has responded by imploring her supporters not to rank anyone except her.
GoldenMainer
Rookie

« Reply #267 on: May 29, 2018, 09:34:23 PM »

What I'm most surprised by is how Eves hasn't taken off at all. He's likely battling for third behind Mills & Cote.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #268 on: May 29, 2018, 10:25:08 PM »

What I'm most surprised by is how Eves hasn't taken off at all. He's likely battling for third behind Mills & Cote.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #269 on: May 29, 2018, 10:37:02 PM »

Yup. Didn’t even raise enough money to join Mills, Cote and Sweet (and Mason and Fredette) on the air. His campaign is bleeding support to us and Cote. It’s quite sad, actually.

I have to wonder if taking over a charter school (and the kerfuffle surrounding it) had anything to do with his landing with a thud.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #270 on: May 29, 2018, 10:39:40 PM »

Eves and Alfond served in leadership at the same time, too. And Eves is holding his victory party at a bar owned by Alfond. It’s all quite sad.
Horsemask

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: -4.87

« Reply #271 on: May 30, 2018, 04:11:19 PM »

Registered Dem back last Friday so I can vote in the primary.

Cote is my top choice.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #272 on: May 30, 2018, 04:18:54 PM »

Registered Dem back last Friday so I can vote in the primary.

Cote is my top choice.
Please consider placing Betsy as your second Smiley
Kevinstat

« Reply #273 on: May 30, 2018, 06:35:57 PM »
« Edited: May 30, 2018, 06:47:49 PM by Kevinstat »

My preferences are very fluid right now.  The one thing I'm pretty solid on is that Diane Russell, who has a history of questionable campaign finance practices and would bomb if she were the nominee, will be my 7th choice (but I'll still rank her to put her above write-in candidate Marty Vachon who was "running" as a Republican in 2009 and was a general election write-in in 2010 and 2014) and Donna Dion will be my 6th.  Not that there's any chance my vote will end up transferring to any of the aforementioned three.  Beyond that, it's kind of an odd situation in my mind right now.  I guess I'm also pretty solid on Mark Dion as my #1, more by process of elimination than anything else.  He's been in the pole position in my mind ever since Steve DeAngelis failed to get on the ballot, at first because my parents were supporting him but he's stayed in that position as everyone else has something about them or how I think they would come across that I'm not thrilled with.  I talked about my concerns with Betsy Sweet earlier.  Janet Mills has a mean side (one of my mom's friends was on a grand jury that put out a No bill on a case in Androscoggin County when she was the Andro-Franklin-Oxford DA and she read the jurors the riot act) and will, as maineiac4434🌲🌹 pointed out, likely bleed progressive votes to Hayes as a protest even though Hayes is no progressive.  Cote seems to be the junkyard dog of the race right now, but I do see him as someone who can win and a kind of mentor of mine in Augusta is supporting him.  For awhile it was between him and Janet Mills for #2.  But my mom's made it clear that Mills is her last choice and her influence has had me considering ranking her as low (as high a number) as fifth.  With that and with Cote's negative campaigning, I'm thinking I could possibly put Betsy Sweet in as #2, but I couldn't imagine putting her as #1, or voting for her in an FPTP primary, even if Mark Dion wasn't running - it's just not who I am (I think voting can be a lot of how people want to see themselves, which is part of the reason popular incumbents like my State Senator Roger Katz win such lopsided majorities; of course they don't always draw particularly strong opponents but I think it often wouldn't matter what issues the opponent campaigned on or what votes (s)he criticized the incumbent for).  Mark Eves was for a while in a tie with Russell for last as I was kind of buying part of the LePage/Larry Lockman argument on the whole Goodwill Hinkley controversy, that Eves had some unfair advantages through his top staffer who was on the GWH board even though the staffer recused himself from the vote.  Plus I thought dragging out the personal suit against the Governor after losing in court in the first stage of that suit was a waste of time.  But I've kind of gotten over that and I'm not sure how much the typical swing voter will care.  I see him as fairly electable now, although not as much as Mark Dion or Adam Cote.  I could potentially rank him as high (as low a number) as third.  I can't see myself ranking Eves ahead of Cote, but beyond that any possible ordering of Cote, Eves, Mills and Sweet (alphabetical order there) in my 2-5 rankings is possible.

While I'm not a supporter of ranked choice voting (for reasons that would take another sizable post to explain and I don't have the mental energy right now), I'm now happy that it's being used in this primary.  I was hoping the Republicans would prevail in their suit as they clearly didn't want in, including the fairly rank-and-file (apparently the convention vote on their added plurality rule was unanimous), but upon reading the ruling it appears sound.  I'd support the policy making it optional for parties in their primaries if the People's Veto passed, but I imagine any bill to do that would be "People's Vetoed" as well.
Kevinstat

« Reply #274 on: May 30, 2018, 06:41:46 PM »

I have to wonder if taking over a charter school (and the kerfuffle surrounding it) had anything to do with his landing with a thud.
As you can see from my last post, it definitely had am impact on my receptiveness toward him, and now that that impact is lessening it's probably too late for him to "get into" or "get back into" the race (I think he was seen as one of the frontrunners for much of last year).
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 30  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies