True or False?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 11:52:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  True or False?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Canadians with ambition eventually end up becoming American
True (R/L)

False (R/L)

True (D/O/I)

False (D/O/I)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 34

Author Topic: True or False?  (Read 2202 times)
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 14, 2005, 09:53:27 AM »

If you look at some of the most famous Canadians, they are all Americans now.
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix
E: 8.50, S: -0.62

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2005, 09:57:04 AM »

Please take back Jim Carrey...
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2005, 09:59:24 AM »

Canadians with ambition to do evil end up as Americans, so you're in great company Richius. Grin
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005, 10:04:36 AM »

Okay, for serious...
The US is a much larger market, is right next to Canada, and Canadians can get into it comparatively (to other non-Americans) easily.
So, of course Canadians trying to "hit it big", especially in entertainment, will do so in the U.S. of A.
That leaves two more questions, one for you to answer, one for you to ponder:
a) Which of them are Americans now? Because many still seem to be Canadians...unless they've been living in the US for ages, in which cases clinging to that Canadian citizenship would be just plain stupid.
b) Why are there quite so many of them? Are Canadians simply better at entertainment than Americans (at least, to Americans?) Or more ambitious?
Or do they have some other advantage over Americans, like, whatever, say, a slightly different accent, just different enough to be interesting but not different enough to be hard to understand to even the most untrained American ear?

Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2005, 10:10:39 AM »

Okay I'm shocked at myself for actually making the effort to answer one of Richius' threads, but here we are.

Here is a list of famous Canadians, provided by our good friend Wikipedia.  I haven't taken the time to check them all, but a sizeable chunk of them have remained Canadian citizens.  So that debunks the first post of this thread.

As for the poll statement; "Canadians with ambition eventually end up becoming American"; that's impossible to prove.  Any conclusion of 'true' or 'false' would be a totally subjective opinion with very little factual evidence.

Next please.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2005, 10:34:31 AM »

Please take back Jim Carrey...

I...  would... say that...  sending... back William... ... Shatner.... is... more important.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2005, 10:42:40 AM »

Okay I'm shocked at myself for actually making the effort to answer one of Richius' threads

That's 15 minutes of your life you'll never see again Wink
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2005, 11:10:48 AM »

Okay I'm shocked at myself for actually making the effort to answer one of Richius' threads, but here we are.

Here is a list of famous Canadians, provided by our good friend Wikipedia.  I haven't taken the time to check them all, but a sizeable chunk of them have remained Canadian citizens.
Ever heard of dual citizenship?
KillerPollo
Mexico

Political Matrix
E: -3.15, S: -0.82

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2005, 11:14:41 AM »

I wonder how canadian stars can more easily hit U.S. entertainment than Mexicans?? [/sarcasm]
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2005, 11:15:29 AM »

Here is a list of famous Canadians, provided by our good friend Wikipedia.  I haven't taken the time to check them all, but a sizeable chunk of them have remained Canadian citizens.

Well you took the time to ask the question, so feel free to go through the whole list and check each person to see if they all became American citizens or dual citizens.  You should find all the answers you need there.
KillerPollo
Mexico

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2005, 11:19:30 AM »

Well you took the time to ask the question, so feel free to go through the whole list and check each person to see if they all became American citizens or dual citizens.  You should find all the answers you need there.

Unlike Mexicans or any non-english speaking nation for that matter, Canadians are not seen as "foreigners" in the U.S. You can't tell if a person's Canadian, but you can if he/she is Mexican(most cases), Chinese, Middle eastern(most cases), Japanese, etc.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2005, 11:24:02 AM »

Unlike Mexicans or any non-english speaking nation for that matter, Canadians are not seen as "foreigners" in the U.S. You can't tell if a person's Canadian, but you can if he/she is Mexican(most cases), Chinese, Middle eastern(most cases), Japanese, etc.

I don't really see how that's relevant, but OK anyway.
KillerPollo
Mexico

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2005, 11:24:08 AM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I don't really see how that's relevant, but OK anyway.

wow you slaughtered a quote LOL!

But it's relevant because Canadians feel more welcome by Americans, and can easily adapt to the environment. Unlike the people i mentioned above, Canadians and USAnians live a similar lifestyle with a similar culture, so it's EASY for them to blend in, and especially take advantage of the fact that USA is FAR more populated than Canadia. so... that was my point!
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2005, 01:37:02 PM »

Just out of curiosity... why are Republicans and Libertarians grouped together and everyone else grouped together?

Is this Richius trying to make our party(s) sound more American or something?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2005, 08:54:15 PM »

Richius, what percentage of Mississippians or Ohioans or Nebraskans with 'ambition' end up becoming residents of Los Angeles or New York?

Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2005, 08:58:44 PM »

Just out of curiosity... why are Republicans and Libertarians grouped together and everyone else grouped together?
He assumes Libertarians to be conservative and Independents to be liberal, I suppose.  Some people can't do more than five options because they have JavaScript disabled.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2005, 09:28:19 PM »

Because this is a question of economics somewhat and that's where the two parties find common ground.
TX_1824
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.06, S: 2.17

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2005, 09:57:47 PM »

False. For some people, home is home. Look at Morgan Freeman. He's from Mississippi and a successful actor. However, he chooses to live in Mississippi because that is his home. Martin Short is a Canadian and still lives in Canada. I don't like to use actors as an example, but they are the most recognizable.

Those that are high-up in the business world usually end up in one of the three big business centers: New York, Chicago, or Las Angelas. I'm sure those that live in one of these three big cities would live closer to home if given the choice. Assuming, of course, they were originally from a distant town/city.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2005, 10:04:35 PM »

Richius, what percentage of Mississippians or Ohioans or Nebraskans with 'ambition' end up becoming residents of Los Angeles or New York?

It depends where your ambition lies.  If it is technology, you'd probably want to be in Silicon Valley.  If it is finance, probably New England.  If it is ranching and growing crops, or testing new methods of selectively breeding plants, you'd probably want to stay in Mississippi.

The point is, Canadians are moving south at an alarming rate.
KillerPollo
Mexico

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2005, 10:08:07 PM »

It depends where your ambition lies.  If it is technology, you'd probably want to be in Silicon Valley.  If it is finance, probably New England.  If it is ranching and growing crops, or testing new methods of selectively breeding plants, you'd probably want to stay in Mississippi.

then close the border with canada, or beef up the entry riquirements Cheesy
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2005, 10:08:45 PM »

The point is that the top of any profession - and particularly media and entertainment - is found in just a few cities worldwide.
TX_1824
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.06, S: 2.17

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2005, 10:11:10 PM »

The point is that the top of any profession - and particularly media and entertainment - is found in just a few cities worldwide.

I hate to agree, but I do.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2005, 10:12:54 PM »

None in Canada.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2005, 10:22:51 PM »

None in Canada.

Toronto actually has a vibrant production industry, as does Vancouver, thanks to lower fees for filming.  Television shows such as X-Files were filmed in Canada.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2005, 10:27:54 PM »

None in Canada.

Toronto actually has a vibrant production industry, as does Vancouver, thanks to lower fees for filming.  Television shows such as X-Files were filmed in Canada.
It also takes 0 ambition to be in the arts.  And it is Americans that are doing the real work; and it is American money that is doing the talking.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies