Clinton: Half of Trump’s supporters fit in ‘basket of deplorables’
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 11:46:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Clinton: Half of Trump’s supporters fit in ‘basket of deplorables’
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Author Topic: Clinton: Half of Trump’s supporters fit in ‘basket of deplorables’  (Read 6140 times)
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: September 10, 2016, 01:44:41 PM »

I find it both interesting and hilarious that our Atlas trump-supporters like Seriously, Fuzzy, ChairmanSanchez, etc are completely absent from this conversation.
I guess they haven't yet noticed this thread due to those horse-blinders.

Lothal1
Rookie
United States

« Reply #76 on: September 10, 2016, 02:14:04 PM »

Disrespectful comment.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #77 on: September 10, 2016, 02:20:14 PM »

She is right! Around half of his support are racist, sexist and other rich supporting fools.

You do realise this was an event which Hillary attended to acquire money from rich people in return for saying things they liked?

a select group of rich people. most rich people are more racist, xenophobic, and sexist t6han the middle class. so don't act like some kind of freesom fighter here, bub.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #78 on: September 10, 2016, 02:22:41 PM »

Based on what I know of the Trump supporters here, her statement is accurate.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #79 on: September 10, 2016, 02:37:55 PM »

538 wrote an article about it (not really, since they don't have data for 2016). Difference between R-whites and D-whites Smiley

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/are-white-republicans-more-racist-than-white-democrats/
Lol, 30% of Whites who voted for Obama thought that Blacks are more 'lazy' than 'hard-working' and 40% thought that Blacks lack the motivation to pull themselves out of poverty Grin

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #80 on: September 10, 2016, 02:48:22 PM »

She is right! Around half of his support are racist, sexist and other rich supporting fools.

You do realise this was an event which Hillary attended to acquire money from rich people in return for saying things they liked?

a select group of rich people. most rich people are more racist, xenophobic, and sexist t6han the middle class. so don't act like some kind of freesom fighter here, bub.

I'm aware lawyering isn't easy work, but I think you need to lay off the Devil's brew. I was simply responding to the above poster's bizarre assertion that Trump supporters are the rich supporting fools when the subject of the article under discussion is Hillary attending an event full of rich people with her begging bowl, presumably promising to do things that will make them happy.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #81 on: September 10, 2016, 02:55:14 PM »

I agree. She should never have said it. Even though many people here think it's true, think again. Nobody is only one-dimensional. There are many facets to all of us. Hillary should have been more tactful in what she said.

I'm disappointed in Hillary for this.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #82 on: September 10, 2016, 03:03:21 PM »

she shouldn't have said it but that doesn't mean it's wrong. I mean look how Trump voters respond when they're asked questions like "Do you think Obama is a muslim?" "Do you think he was born in this country" "Should the south have won the Civil War?".
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #83 on: September 10, 2016, 03:04:42 PM »

What about 'Stronger Together' again? And representing all Americans?
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #84 on: September 10, 2016, 03:09:22 PM »

Racism is not something to be tolerated. Being Stronger Together means calling out the people who would see every non-white person in this country scrubbed out.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #85 on: September 10, 2016, 03:11:38 PM »

You mean people who admire Putin and consider him a better leader than Obama?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #86 on: September 10, 2016, 03:15:24 PM »

It puts her to the right of your typical Atlas red avatar, who thinks that all of Trump's supporters fit in a "basket of deplorables".
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #87 on: September 10, 2016, 03:18:45 PM »

It's not people who should be put into baskets, but the prejudiced mindsets, the thinking, the concepts. I can't get behind Hillary's statement in any way. She put her foot in this one.

Southern Delegate matthew27
matthew27
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -1.22

« Reply #88 on: September 10, 2016, 03:20:11 PM »
« Edited: September 10, 2016, 03:21:51 PM by matthew27 »

A large percentage of his supporters are deplorable! That is a fact.

Trump and his supporters are racist, sexist and classiest as all hell. If it is wrong to point this out...Well, I guess good is evil and evil is good.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #89 on: September 10, 2016, 03:30:03 PM »

Hey, she apologized for it.
Fusionmunster

« Reply #90 on: September 10, 2016, 03:32:51 PM »

I think Hillary was very smart. They'll probably ask about this in the debate now.
Southern Delegate matthew27
matthew27
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -1.22

« Reply #91 on: September 10, 2016, 03:36:26 PM »

I think Hillary was very smart. They'll probably ask about this in the debate now.

All she needs to do when they do is bring up the alt-right and how they're racist, sexist and classiest. Bring up all the sexist and racist stuff Trump said in the past. Most of the American people can see how ugly trump is.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #92 on: September 10, 2016, 03:37:25 PM »

Well, regardless of how red icons may feel, this is Romney's 47% comment all over again, liberals may agree with it ( similar to how many conservatives agreed with Romney's 47% comment), but it's still going to be seen as a bad comment and blasted by the media.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #93 on: September 10, 2016, 03:41:30 PM »

I'm aware lawyering isn't easy work, but I think you need to lay off the Devil's brew. I was simply responding to the above poster's bizarre assertion that Trump supporters are the rich supporting fools when the subject of the article under discussion is Hillary attending an event full of rich people with her begging bowl, presumably promising to do things that will make them happy.

There is nothing "bizarre " about noting the reality that Trump's supporters are disproportionately wealthier. In fact, it's rather bizarre to deny it, and Clinton refusing to do unilateral disarmament on fundraising doesn't begin changing that.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #94 on: September 10, 2016, 03:42:16 PM »

Link?
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #95 on: September 10, 2016, 03:43:35 PM »

It's on her Facebook page. It wasn't necessarily an apology, though.
Fusionmunster

« Reply #96 on: September 10, 2016, 03:44:33 PM »

She didnt apologize, she regrets saying half.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #97 on: September 10, 2016, 03:53:11 PM »

Again, link?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #98 on: September 10, 2016, 03:55:35 PM »
« Edited: September 10, 2016, 03:58:09 PM by afleitch »

The reason why the media and many others have indulged in talking about 'e-mails' is that it acts as a welcome white noise machine. It's easier to talk about because it seems so mainstream. It deals with a professional 'misdemeanor' by a professional person. They like talking about it and her not talking about it. It's comfortable. Like a 'Choose Your Own Adventure: Woodward and Bernstein' for journalists.

Turn that noise machine down and you're faced with Trump who you can't debate on usual terms. You can't even interview on usual terms. So yes, they do end up having to 'normalise' his rhetoric and his support base because journalists must be seen to balance, at least on the surface and if not 'balance' give due air to the other side.

But sometimes the other side is dangerous and saying dangerous things. And sometimes that is all that it is. And a free press never, ever knows what to do with that when dangerous ideas become mainstream. Trump is the ultimate GOP chimera; a beast made up of all the worst, most cancerous bits of Republican rhetoric since the Gingrich era that have been hurled at the left and at minorities, and used against both Clintons and all Democrats since, sewn together and made flesh.

This is actually the chance for the centre-right to kill that cancer. For the sake of American democracy, for the sake of breaking congressional deadlock and reversing political polarisation, Trump needs to be whipped and pummelled at the polls. 'Trumpism' needs to be flayed open and publicly bleed to death, because only that way can the GOP actually start anew and halt it's rightward drift. Hell it's not even a rightward drift; it's a drift towards the dark corner of conspiracy and innuendo. And for those people, Trump is a useful idiot; a handmaiden of the 'alt-right'. He has to be bloodied at the ballot for the sake of the next few decades of political discourse and in order to make up for the last few.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #99 on: September 10, 2016, 04:10:57 PM »

There is nothing "bizarre " about noting the reality that Trump's supporters are disproportionately wealthier. In fact, it's rather bizarre to deny it, and Clinton refusing to do unilateral disarmament on fundraising doesn't begin changing that.

He said 'rich loving' which is a rather bizarre turn of phrase, given that it implies that half his support are people who are not rich yet foolishly love rich people. I'm not denying that Trump does draw a lot of support from the wealthier sections of American society, I'm challenging his claim that Trump supporters are 'rich loving fools' when, a, Hillary is not stranger to asking rich people for their money and seeking to represent their interests and b, I very much doubt that there are no 'rich lovers' amongst the ranks of her supporters (indeed, a few of them seem to take great pride in noting how many wealthy people are backing her in comparison to previous democratic nominees).
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies