Opinion of Brian Schatz
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:17:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Brian Schatz
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Poll
Question: ?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 51

Author Topic: Opinion of Brian Schatz  (Read 3098 times)
PiMp DaDdy FitzGerald
Mr. Pollo

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: March 02, 2014, 08:49:54 PM »

How can you be more electable than someone guaranteed to win the general election?
The same thing was said about Al Gore and Kerry. Look where that lead this country.
Maybe if the United States had a 20 point democratic advantage you'd have a point
In 1976 Carter had a 30 point advantage and almost lost as a moderate. I don't want the same thing to happen in Hawaii.

What makes Schatz immune to extreme collapses like Carter or Dukakis? Pixie dust? We're in it to win it and it makes no sense to kneecap yourself in the name of ideological purity. We are being a bunch of Teabaggers here!
Carter was a moderate.
What about Dukakis? And Carter was still to the left of Wallace, who, while he reformed, was still very rightwing and a viable Democrat.

Hold on, lets look closer

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Um... closer?

Oh come on stop trolling.
I'm not trolling. Wallace was essentially the Democrats' Reagan: a man to get out the racist vote with populism. He even had a good showing in the Massachussets primary due to racist resentment over having busing in and out of Roxbury. The main reason why he lost so much is because he kept messing with the Democratic establishment and because the New Left certainly wasn't going to let the most notorious segregationist lead their movement.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #76 on: March 02, 2014, 09:43:38 PM »

Perhaps, but that doesn't draw away from the point that a Democrat will not lose in Hawaii. Or at least will not lose in a normally scheduled election.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #77 on: March 02, 2014, 09:47:02 PM »

Perhaps, but that doesn't draw away from the point that a Democrat will not lose in Hawaii. Or at least will not lose in a normally scheduled election.

Precisely!

And no, you can't point to the 2010 Special Election to the First District. Djou only won because Hanabusa and Case split the vote.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #78 on: March 02, 2014, 10:43:26 PM »

How can you be more electable than someone guaranteed to win the general election?
The same thing was said about Al Gore and Kerry. Look where that lead this country.
Maybe if the United States had a 20 point democratic advantage you'd have a point
In 1976 Carter had a 30 point advantage and almost lost as a moderate. I don't want the same thing to happen in Hawaii.

What makes Schatz immune to extreme collapses like Carter or Dukakis? Pixie dust? We're in it to win it and it makes no sense to kneecap yourself in the name of ideological purity. We are being a bunch of Teabaggers here!
Carter was a moderate.
What about Dukakis? And Carter was still to the left of Wallace, who, while he reformed, was still very rightwing and a viable Democrat.

Um... closer?

I'm not trolling. Wallace was essentially the Democrats' Reagan: a man to get out the racist vote with populism. He even had a good showing in the Massachussets primary due to racist resentment over having busing in and out of Roxbury. The main reason why he lost so much is because he kept messing with the Democratic establishment and because the New Left certainly wasn't going to let the most notorious segregationist lead their movement.

I feel like you were trying to make a point here but it's not making any sense.
PiMp DaDdy FitzGerald
Mr. Pollo

« Reply #79 on: March 02, 2014, 10:59:31 PM »

Carter was a moderate.

Um... closer?

My point is that even with extreme advantages, such as what Carter and Dukakis had before their respective elections, candidates can still lose. I'm simply not willing to give any advantages at all to the republicans just because one candidate supports gay marriage with a slightly larger pomp in their step than the other.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #80 on: March 03, 2014, 01:25:06 AM »

When you're on the side of such Atlas intellectual heavyweights as Hifly and Mr. Pollo, it's easy to lump you together.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #81 on: March 03, 2014, 01:29:46 AM »

Yeah, putting Pollo on ignore because he doesn't seem to grasp the fact that a Republican winning in Hawaii is more unlikely than a Democrat winning in Utah or Wyoming.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #82 on: March 03, 2014, 01:30:56 AM »

So... about that Brian Schatz!
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #83 on: March 03, 2014, 02:04:16 AM »

When you're on the side of such Atlas intellectual heavyweights as Hifly and Mr. Pollo, it's easy to lump you together.

Don't start this. Really, don't.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #84 on: March 03, 2014, 04:54:33 AM »

do u even oxford bro
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #85 on: March 03, 2014, 05:53:33 AM »

are you gonna fight irl
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #86 on: March 03, 2014, 05:59:37 AM »

are you gonna fight irl

Why are you so meen to our Oxford graduate? Sad
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #87 on: March 03, 2014, 07:32:39 AM »

Carter was a moderate.

Um... closer?

My point is that even with extreme advantages, such as what Carter and Dukakis had before their respective elections, candidates can still lose. I'm simply not willing to give any advantages at all to the republicans just because one candidate supports gay marriage with a slightly larger pomp in their step than the other.

But at the same time though, you seem to be assuming that moderatism will always be a factor.  That in itself is a faulty assumption.  It is quite possible for a candidate to be perceived as too moderate and thus decrease base turnout.  In a state like Hawaii, that has as much chance as happening as someone being perceived as a "too liberal" candidate.  And even then, I find the argument very hard to make that Brian Schatz is "too liberal" for a state that gave Obama over 70% of the vote even after coming out in favor of gay marriage.

And Carter was the moderate.  Just because a politician who was openly segregationist at one time was running in the race doesn't make Carter particularly left winged by serious measures of the day.  I mean, this was the same race that Frank Church, Birch Bayh, Mo Udall, Fred Harris, and Walter Fauntroy were running in!  Almost all of whom were considered at least "New Left" by many people. Carter did horribly because he was a bad campaigner (emphasis), not because he had a humanitarian foreign policy or wanted to pursue alternate sources of energy (those two policies probably being his most left winged).

Again, this is an apples vs. oranges comparison.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #88 on: March 03, 2014, 02:34:39 PM »

If we want to talk about electability, Schatz won a state wide election, while Hanabusa has not, and Hanabusa won by only nine points in a D+18 district.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #89 on: March 03, 2014, 02:52:31 PM »

If we want to talk about electability, Schatz won a state wide election, while Hanabusa has not, and Hanabusa won by only nine points in a D+18 district.

To be fair, her opponent, Charles Djou was a very liberal Republican.

Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #90 on: March 03, 2014, 02:56:45 PM »

Yikes. I missed all this, but I'm obviously pulling for Hanabusa.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #91 on: March 03, 2014, 03:00:28 PM »

Yikes. I missed all this, but I'm obviously pulling for Hanabusa.

Probably for the better, on both counts.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #92 on: March 03, 2014, 05:17:37 PM »

FF.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies