Opinion of Brian Schatz
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:41:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Brian Schatz
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Poll
Question: ?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 51

Author Topic: Opinion of Brian Schatz  (Read 3091 times)
RedSLC
SLValleyMan
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2014, 01:50:21 PM »

Obvious FF is obvious FF.

Also, LOL at some of the people on here who are voting HP out of spite because the guy was appointed into office or some dead guy's will.  I'm not judging, and nobody should be judging, Schatz based off of how he got into office (unless of course he had somebody murdered and then came into the Governor's office with a mountainload of blackmail to get into office a la Frank Underwood but then he wouldn't be in office if that was made public) but based off of what he brings to the table for the people of Hawaii.  Going off of his wikipedia page I can see that the only positions of his that are mentioned is that he supports same sex marriage and he voted against FISA.  I mean really, that makes him better than at least 75% of the current Senators right off the bat.  He was also endorsed by the labor unions in the Lieutenant Governor primaries.  If labor unions IN HAWAII endorse you, you must be pretty daggum pro-labor.

Like Oakvale just said, in a state as Democratic as Hawaii what is even the point of going moderate hero?

Seriously, what is wrong with you people?

This.

And, as others have said it's pretty clear that Hanabusa's "evolution" has been motivated by her wanting the seat.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2014, 01:52:57 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Of course. She's a politician after all.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2014, 02:53:20 PM »

How can you be more electable than someone guaranteed to win the general election?
The same thing was said about Al Gore and Kerry. Look where that lead this country.
Maybe if the United States had a 20 point democratic advantage you'd have a point
In 1976 Carter had a 30 point advantage and almost lost as a moderate. I don't want the same thing to happen in Hawaii.

Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2014, 03:16:30 PM »

Schatz isn't entitled to the seat because he's an incumbent (especially since he was never elected).
Hanabusa isn't entitled to the seat because Inouye wanted her appointed.

A lot of entitlement all around in this race.

I'm supporting Schatz not because he's entitled to it as an incumbent, but because there is no reason for him as an incumbent to be thrown out by his own party.  Like I said in the Hawaii thread, if someone is getting a primary challenge and hasn't acted in a way that's objectionable, I'm inclined to support the one getting challenged.  In fact, from my perspective it's the Hanabusa supporters who feel like they're entitled to win since the only reasons they're giving people to vote for her are "muh Daniel Inouye" and "muh Senate women."  Well, if we pick our candidates solely on their gender or what a corpse would have wanted, then we should be ashamed of ourselves.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2014, 03:18:03 PM »

If a person had represented your state, federally, since it became a state; would you take his endorsement of who to succeed him lightly?

The only reason why Schatz was appointed was because he was Abercrombie's right hand man.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2014, 03:23:38 PM »

If a person had represented your state, federally, since it became a state; would you take his endorsement of who to succeed him lightly?

Yes. This isn't an aristocracy, m'kay?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2014, 03:28:45 PM »

I'd take it as any other endorsement.  I don't believe in letting senators handpick the person that succeeds them.  That is not how a democracy works.

Independent of whether that or not is true, I haven't seen any evidence suggesting that Schatz's appointment was illegitimate.  If you're upset at someone, be upset at Abercrombie.  Don't fire Schatz.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2014, 04:18:06 PM »

Schatz isn't entitled to the seat because he's an incumbent (especially since he was never elected).
Hanabusa isn't entitled to the seat because Inouye wanted her appointed.

A lot of entitlement all around in this race.

I'm supporting Schatz not because he's entitled to it as an incumbent, but because there is no reason for him as an incumbent to be thrown out by his own party.  Like I said in the Hawaii thread, if someone is getting a primary challenge and hasn't acted in a way that's objectionable, I'm inclined to support the one getting challenged.  In fact, from my perspective it's the Hanabusa supporters who feel like they're entitled to win since the only reasons they're giving people to vote for her are "muh Daniel Inouye" and "muh Senate women."  Well, if we pick our candidates solely on their gender or what a corpse would have wanted, then we should be ashamed of ourselves.

Why should Abercrombie get to decide who is Senator For Life? The "Schatz is the incumbent, so since he's done nothing wrong nobody has the right to run against him!" narrative is BS. He's an interim Senator that did not get elected on his own. He has no "right" to the office, and Hanabusa is well within her rights to challenge him.

I support Schatz for ideological reasons. All these other reasons people are supporting candidates other than ideology is pretty stupid (Inouye's wishes, Abercrombie's wishes, gender, incumbency, whatever).
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2014, 04:20:12 PM »

I'd take it as any other endorsement.  I don't believe in letting senators handpick the person that succeeds them.  That is not how a democracy works.

But you believe in letting Abercrombie handpick Hawaii's Senator for Life? How is that ANY different from what you're accusing Inouye of trying to do?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2014, 04:47:50 PM »

Abercrombie, being the Governor, gets to decide who serves in Inouye's former seat until the special election, when the voters will decide.  This is the law.  No single person decides how long that person serves.  But, I maintain that the "reasons" for firing Schatz are very weak, and that the Hanabusa camp has not convinced me why she would do a better job as senator than Schatz is doing right now.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2014, 04:50:43 PM »

Okay... they can be non-existent, when it comes to challenging him; still means she can run (and win).
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2014, 05:51:49 PM »

FF

Nearly every Hanabusa supporter on this forum appears to be at least somewhat stupid.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2014, 05:55:01 PM »

FF

Nearly every Hanabusa supporter on this forum appears to be at least somewhat stupid.

Because she's closer to our ideology therefore we must be somewhat stupid?

Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2014, 06:00:19 PM »

FF

Because she's closer to our ideology therefore we must be somewhat stupid?

Makes sense.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2014, 06:03:25 PM »

You're the first I put in my ignore list.
PiMp DaDdy FitzGerald
Mr. Pollo

« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2014, 06:11:21 PM »

How can you be more electable than someone guaranteed to win the general election?
The same thing was said about Al Gore and Kerry. Look where that lead this country.
Maybe if the United States had a 20 point democratic advantage you'd have a point
In 1976 Carter had a 30 point advantage and almost lost as a moderate. I don't want the same thing to happen in Hawaii.

What makes Schatz immune to extreme collapses like Carter or Dukakis? Pixie dust? We're in it to win it and it makes no sense to kneecap yourself in the name of ideological purity. We are being a bunch of Teabaggers here!
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2014, 06:17:38 PM »

What makes Schatz immune to extreme collapses like Carter or Dukakis? Pixie dust? We're in it to win it and it makes no sense to kneecap yourself in the name of ideological purity. We are being a bunch of Teabaggers here!
Carter was a moderate.
PiMp DaDdy FitzGerald
Mr. Pollo

« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2014, 06:22:29 PM »

Carter was a moderate.
What about Dukakis? And Carter was still to the left of Wallace, who, while he reformed, was still very rightwing and a viable Democrat.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2014, 07:09:01 PM »

Carter was a moderate.
What about Dukakis? And Carter was still to the left of Wallace, who, while he reformed, was still very rightwing and a viable Democrat.

Hold on, lets look closer

Um... closer?

Oh come on stop trolling.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #69 on: March 02, 2014, 07:10:08 PM »
« Edited: March 02, 2014, 07:13:30 PM by Napoleon »

The endorsement of a senile old man would not sway my vote toward a senile old woman, no. I prefer to judge candidates on their own merits. Schatz is already one of my favorite senators. We don't need another Chuck Schumer or Dianne Feinstein anyway. That doesn't make Hanabusa supporters stupid IMO but I do think the arguments in her favor are lacking in substance.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #70 on: March 02, 2014, 07:11:00 PM »

The endorsement of a senile old man would not sway my vote toward a senile old woman, no. But I guess I am unique inthat regard.

To each his own. Smiley
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #71 on: March 02, 2014, 07:17:23 PM »

The endorsement of a senile old man would not sway my vote toward a senile old woman, no. But I guess I am unique inthat regard.

To each his own. Smiley

Ugh I hate getting quoted mid-post. Tongue

I once saw Hanabusa get embarrassed by Bill O'Reilly, who is one of the easiest fox news stooges to make a fool out of. She wasn't even making sense with her words. So I'm not trying to hate on her age, I think she really is senile. Of course in Hawaii, it probably doesn't matter much anyway but yeah.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #72 on: March 02, 2014, 07:29:27 PM »

Abercrombie, being the Governor, gets to decide who serves in Inouye's former seat until the special election, when the voters will decide.  This is the law.  No single person decides how long that person serves.  But, I maintain that the "reasons" for firing Schatz are very weak, and that the Hanabusa camp has not convinced me why she would do a better job as senator than Schatz is doing right now.

Basically this; I don't have a problem with Hanabusa challenging Schatz, but I don't believe she has a good case for ousting him, and for ideological and seniority reasons, I'd prefer Schatz to stay in the Senate.

I do think that the characterization of Schatz fans by Hanabusa supporters and vice versa is being a bit unfair.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #73 on: March 02, 2014, 07:49:21 PM »

Ummm, like I said earlier this is Hawaii?  This kind of line of questioning is like wondering why they don't run moderate Republicans in Oklahoma.  In other words, quite ridiculous I must say.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #74 on: March 02, 2014, 08:34:23 PM »
« Edited: March 02, 2014, 08:37:50 PM by IceSpear »

Abercrombie, being the Governor, gets to decide who serves in Inouye's former seat until the special election, when the voters will decide.  This is the law.  No single person decides how long that person serves.  But, I maintain that the "reasons" for firing Schatz are very weak, and that the Hanabusa camp has not convinced me why she would do a better job as senator than Schatz is doing right now.

Exactly. The voters can decide. Not Inouye. Not Abercrombie.

I don't think Hanabusa would do a better job either. That's what the election should be decided on. But many people seem to think she had no right to primary the "rightful" senator just because he was appointed, and it reeks of the same entitlement they accuse Hanabusa of w/r/t Inouye.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies