Update Season X - "It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Vol. I."
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 09:32:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update Season X - "It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Vol. I."
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 80
Author Topic: Update Season X - "It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Vol. I."  (Read 210257 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #675 on: September 17, 2013, 10:27:19 AM »

Yes, exactly. Bushie's family is well-off by any standards, and for rural Oklahoma, they are living like royalty.

No, not so.  They're just very average - living pay-check to pay-check.  Having a few old beaters isn't a sign of being 'well-off'.

They just bought a brand new car.

Her old car was about to cost mucho dollar in repairs.  It was time to put it out to pasture or start wasting money on repairs.  We hadn't bought a car since 2007 and this was our first brand new car since the early 80's.  They want to pay it off before Dad retires.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #676 on: September 17, 2013, 10:28:35 AM »

See! They're doing fine! My family hasn't bought a car since 2007 either. He and I are on the same level financially, and I can afford to have a girlfriend. I just choose badly.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #677 on: September 17, 2013, 10:31:42 AM »

We normally keep our cars for 8-12 years.  The car we just traded in lasted nearly 8.  Dad's SUV has over 250,000 miles and is a 1998.  We bought it in 99.  We plan to put another 100,000 on it if we can.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #678 on: September 17, 2013, 10:46:39 AM »

As of this morning, I was down to 258.2 lbs.  I seem to take 3 steps forward and 2 steps back.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #679 on: September 17, 2013, 10:53:46 AM »

You're taking 0 steps forward and 0 steps back because your weight has plateaued because you're still eating unhealthy food.

But we're all over the diet storyline. Have you talked to Allison again?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #680 on: September 17, 2013, 11:24:36 AM »

I'm hoping he calls her on his lunch break, as long as he doesn't have a moutful of food when he calls, of course.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #681 on: September 17, 2013, 11:36:24 AM »

Yes, exactly. Bushie's family is well-off by any standards, and for rural Oklahoma, they are living like royalty.

No, not so.  They're just very average - living pay-check to pay-check.  Having a few old beaters isn't a sign of being 'well-off'.

Her old car was about to cost mucho dollar in repairs.  It was time to put it out to pasture or start wasting money on repairs.  We hadn't bought a car since 2007 and this was our first brand new car since the early 80's.  They want to pay it off before Dad retires.

No consideration was given to buying a car a couple of years old with low miles on it I take it. That is what I do. I bought my Lexus when it was two years old with about 18,000 miles on it, up in Big Bear (thus the low miles, because there is really nowhere to drive up there that is very far, except down the mountain and into Mordor). There was a delay in driving up the mountain to pick the car up, because that Spring it snowed for four straight weekends, and I don't do snow chains. Instead of buying a new Lexus  costing 60K, the one I got cost 35K. I still have it, 8 years later, so the car is now 10 years old. Wasting money that one really does not have to waste, seems to be a veritable art form there in Midwest City, doesn't it?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #682 on: September 17, 2013, 11:49:34 AM »

No consideration was given to buying a car a couple of years old with low miles on it I take it. That is what I do.

That's really extraordinarily parsimonious of a rich man like you!  And it is precisely what I used to do.  Back in the 50s-70s my parents always just bought new cars as they simply had no time to worry about saving money, and had so much income that the cost of a new car was an insignificant expense.  By the 80s however, when I was 'coming up' as they say, I suggested just the policy you espouse, and did the 'car hunting' for them.  Ever afterward we drove huge American luxury cars (usually General Motors) which cost virtually nothing, in perfect condition with very low miles, purchased from the elderly.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #683 on: September 17, 2013, 12:08:33 PM »

Opebo, I have told this to you before, but I prefer up to a point to camouflage my financial status (not here of course, because I prefer as it were to let it all hang out in this hood, so folks get some sense of the whole person). It creates a barrier that I don't want in my life.  Things don't have much meaning to me anyway. Never have for some reason. Experiences (mental and physical) and friendships do.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #684 on: September 17, 2013, 12:49:48 PM »

Opebo, I have told this to you before, but I prefer up to a point to camouflage my financial status (not here of course, because I prefer as it were to let it all hang out in this hood, so folks get some sense of the whole person). It creates a barrier that I don't want in my life.  Things don't have much meaning to me anyway. Never have for some reason. Experiences (mental and physical) and friendships do.

Well in that case - its still a Lexus.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #685 on: September 17, 2013, 01:23:40 PM »

used car chat should be moved to a separate thread.

no offense torie or opebo, no one reading this gives a damn about your car buying habits.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #686 on: September 17, 2013, 01:41:38 PM »

no offense torie or opebo, no one reading this gives a damn about your car buying habits.

Sheesh, Mitty.  Torie cares about my car buying habits, and I care about his.  So, that's not 'no one'.  You don't have to read every post.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #687 on: September 17, 2013, 01:47:50 PM »

Sheesh, Mitty.  Torie cares about my car buying habits, and I care about his.  So, that's not 'no one'.  You don't have to read every post.

I  have to agree.  It's far superior to Inks' drivel.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #688 on: September 17, 2013, 01:50:56 PM »

the problem is torie has to constantly remind us that he is a rich.

we get it...
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #689 on: September 17, 2013, 02:13:37 PM »

and I'd still like to hear about the financing they used to pay for it, how much money down, etc.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #690 on: September 17, 2013, 02:17:40 PM »

and I'd still like to hear about the financing they used to pay for it, how much money down, etc.

my guess is very little money down.  interest payments are probably sky high.  and i bet they got it financed at the car lot rather than at a bank or credit union.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #691 on: September 17, 2013, 02:32:04 PM »

the problem is torie has to constantly remind us that he is a rich.

we get it...

Now we are using the royal "we." You in a bad mood today?  This thread is all about drivel as far as I am concerned. Plus, maybe not everyone knows that buying a car used with low miles, is a good financial strategy. I know this may be hard for you to believe, but many of my posts are designed to try to help folks (granted they all don't necessarily do, but that is the intent). Get it?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #692 on: September 17, 2013, 02:42:23 PM »

Having a few old beaters isn't a sign of being 'well-off'.

my guess is very little money down.  interest payments are probably sky high.  and i bet they got it financed at the car lot rather than at a bank or credit union.

Its a new car, so those usually come with very low interest financing, no?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #693 on: September 17, 2013, 02:45:27 PM »

Having a few old beaters isn't a sign of being 'well-off'.

Its a new car, so those usually come with very low interest financing, no?

0-4% usually.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #694 on: September 17, 2013, 02:54:57 PM »

$4,000 down, sub 4% interest, and full GAP insurance through State Farm.  Payments ~$540 for 72 months. (I can't recall if it was a 60 or 72 month term).
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #695 on: September 17, 2013, 03:10:36 PM »

Anyway, another day is in the books.  I am nearly finished with LAP 9 and should take the LAP 9 test around 9:00 tomorrow.  That means after lunch, I will be able to start LAP 10.  He may add that project back in if he can find the specifications for the project.  I kind of want to do one honestly.  It would be a great portfolio addition.  It would push my finish date back to April 8, but I will spend that week getting some really good practice at my drawings and drafting.  If he decides to leave it out, then I have no objections, either as that means I can move forward.  The project is designed to take a week, if he can find what he's looking for.  I should be able to finish LAP 10 by the end of the day Thursday and LAP 11 by lunch Monday.  I'll either be ready for the project or the final test for Course 3 at that time.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #696 on: September 17, 2013, 03:13:00 PM »

My god, $540/month car payments for 72 months, even after $4,000!  I realize I'm out of date on car prices, but what was it, a Mercedes?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #697 on: September 17, 2013, 03:16:44 PM »

Did you talk to Allison today?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #698 on: September 17, 2013, 03:26:17 PM »

Not yet.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #699 on: September 17, 2013, 03:28:06 PM »

My god, $540/month car payments for 72 months, even after $4,000!  I realize I'm out of date on car prices, but what was it, a Mercedes?

It a 2014 Ford Escape.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies