AK-PPP: Begich +4 on Treadwell
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:37:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2014 Gubernatorial Election Polls
  2014 Senatorial Election Polls
  AK-PPP: Begich +4 on Treadwell
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: AK-PPP: Begich +4 on Treadwell  (Read 2302 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 30, 2013, 09:44:59 AM »

44-40 to be precise. Leads Sullivan 46/39 and Miller 55/32. Pub primary would be 33 Treadwell, 25 Sullivan, 24 Miller. Begich's approvals are 42/41.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 10:11:32 AM »

This poll makes me feel MUCH better about Miller's chances.

This race is definitely winnable if Treadwell is the nominee - a majority of undecided voters are conservative.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 10:32:05 AM »

So Begich seems to be more vulnerable than Landrieu. I don't like him, a libertarian democrat: Yuk.

Who is Sullivan?
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 10:33:00 AM »

Is this sarcasm?
illegaloperation

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 10:43:41 AM »

Voting against background checks did really hurt him.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 10:48:14 AM »

So Begich seems to be more vulnerable than Landrieu. I don't like him, a libertarian democrat: Yuk.

Who is Sullivan?

The natural resources commissioner.

Voting against background checks did really hurt him.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 11:09:30 AM »

Is this sarcasm?
It makes me feel better knowing his chance of winning is so small. I would support Begich over Miller.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 02:31:35 PM »

I still feel good about this race. Begich has the money and the profile. I think he wins this 52-46 in the end.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 02:50:55 PM »

Begich is favored, but Alaska polling is known for being difficult and unreliable. He'd obviously beat Miller (or Palin), though.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 03:02:10 PM »

Let's be honest with ourselves. Palin's out. Sullivan doesn't seem to have made any tangible moves towards a candidacy beyond just 'considering it'. Miller's in last place however you poll; so on the whole it's difficult to see Treadwell not winning the nomination.

And his path to victory over Begich is pretty clear. His name recognition is significantly lower than Begich's (64% recognize Treadwell; 83% recognize Begich), while Begich's own approval ratings are pretty anemic (+1 in such a red state isn't a good place to be). Add that to the fact that Alaska Democrats are always overstated in polling (in 2004 Knowles was supposed to beat Murkowski; in 2006 Knowles was barely behind Palin in polling, he lost by 9%; in 2008 Berkowitz was supposed to beat Young; in 2008 Begich was supposed to beat Stevens by double-digits, he won by just 1%; in 2010 McAdams was actually pretty reasonably judged by most polling companies, but PPP had him doing way better than he did (their final October 31 poll had him at 30%, he got 23%)). The one exception I can find is that local company Dittman Research seems to go the opposite direction and always overestimates Republicans. But the point is, considering that most of the undecideds probably tilt Republican and that pollsters always overestimate Alaska Democrats. I'm feeling pretty good about Treadwell's chances.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2013, 04:04:40 PM »

New Poll: Alaska Senator by Public Policy Polling on 2013-07-28

Summary: D: 44%, R: 40%, U: 17%

Poll Source URL: Full Poll Details
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2013, 06:09:07 PM »

Begich's saving grace may be the fact that Alaska is very pro-incumbent.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2013, 06:23:36 PM »

Let's be honest with ourselves. Palin's out. Sullivan doesn't seem to have made any tangible moves towards a candidacy beyond just 'considering it'. Miller's in last place however you poll; so on the whole it's difficult to see Treadwell not winning the nomination.

And his path to victory over Begich is pretty clear. His name recognition is significantly lower than Begich's (64% recognize Treadwell; 83% recognize Begich), while Begich's own approval ratings are pretty anemic (+1 in such a red state isn't a good place to be). Add that to the fact that Alaska Democrats are always overstated in polling (in 2004 Knowles was supposed to beat Murkowski; in 2006 Knowles was barely behind Palin in polling, he lost by 9%; in 2008 Berkowitz was supposed to beat Young; in 2008 Begich was supposed to beat Stevens by double-digits, he won by just 1%; in 2010 McAdams was actually pretty reasonably judged by most polling companies, but PPP had him doing way better than he did (their final October 31 poll had him at 30%, he got 23%)). The one exception I can find is that local company Dittman Research seems to go the opposite direction and always overestimates Republicans. But the point is, considering that most of the undecideds probably tilt Republican and that pollsters always overestimate Alaska Democrats. I'm feeling pretty good about Treadwell's chances.

I'd be curious if this is a result of the Democratic candidate or the non-incumbent candidate overpolling.
illegaloperation

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2013, 07:58:51 PM »

Begich's saving grace may be the fact that Alaska is very pro-incumbent.

Yes. Unless, a scandal pops up between now and election day, he'll probably survive.

In Alaska, there was only one incumbent senator who has ever lost reelection while three incumbents who have lost the primaries.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2013, 08:02:28 PM »

Begich smells like a Pelosi. The people won't be fooled.
illegaloperation

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2013, 08:22:08 PM »

Thank you for your 100% useless comment.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2013, 08:23:43 PM »

Exactly Krazy. Which is why they won't be fooled into electing Treadwell whilst Begich is doing a fine job.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2013, 08:27:24 PM »

I'd be curious if this is a result of the Democratic candidate or the non-incumbent candidate overpolling.

2006 suggests the former (Palin v. Knowles, open-seat, Knowles was overestimated), but 2010 is unclear (you had a 'Democrat', McAdams, and a 'non-incumbent', Miller, and they were both overestimated). I think it's a mixture of both...

krazen whatever anyone else may say I almost always love your posts
illegaloperation

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2013, 10:55:16 PM »

[...] considering that most of the undecideds probably tilt Republican [...]

Alaska is the most elastic Atlas blue state, so these are most likely genuine undecided voters up for grab.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2013, 10:43:06 AM »

[...] considering that most of the undecideds probably tilt Republican [...]

Alaska is the most elastic Atlas blue state, so these are most likely genuine undecided voters up for grab.

Sure, Alaska is an elastic state but it can only stretch so far, historically undecided voters lean republican in Alaska. According to Gallup 46.5% of residents lean republican, so that's the floor for republicans, and 34.3% lean democratic, which is the floor for democrats. That suggests that Begich's result in 2008 was close to the ceiling for democrats in that state. Ted Stevens got 46.5% of the vote 2008, the exact same number that lean republican. No matter what happens here this will be a close race and is certainly still a pure toss-up. Here are estimates of the range of votes based on Gallup.

Alaska republican range of vote (estimate): 46.5%-65.7%.
Alaska democratic range of vote(estimate): 34.3%-53.5%.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies