working fast food
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 07:38:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  working fast food
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: ....
worked it

havent worked it

never would work it

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 48

Author Topic: working fast food  (Read 3796 times)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2013, 08:16:42 PM »

It does seem that most prostitution prohibitionist sentiment comes from a desire to control women's sexual choices. Many years ago, there was also an anti syphilis angle but you don't hear so much about that in recent decades.

Why?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2013, 10:52:16 PM »

It does seem that most prostitution prohibitionist sentiment comes from a desire to control women's sexual choices. Many years ago, there was also an anti syphilis angle but you don't hear so much about that in recent decades.

Why?
I have no idea why prudes want to control female sexuality. I suspect they get a sense of pleasure out of controlling others, but I don't claim to understand these types of people. As long as it's between consenting adults, I don't care much who sleeps with whom and for what reasons.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2013, 11:01:56 PM »

Pizza, but I don't know if that counts as fast food. It was all pick-ups and deliveries.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2013, 06:18:49 AM »

Why?
I have no idea why prudes want to control female sexuality. I suspect they get a sense of pleasure out of controlling others, but I don't claim to understand these types of people. As long as it's between consenting adults, I don't care much who sleeps with whom and for what reasons.

No, what's your evidence that conservatives want to restrict things like prostitution or abortion  because "control women's sexual choices"?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2013, 12:52:12 PM »

Why?

In fact by controlling 'female sexuality' (or to be more precise the supply of P******y), one controls men.  Its that simple.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2013, 09:26:54 PM »

is it true that advancement opportunities happen quickly in the fast food industry?

I got a job at McDonald's when I was 18, and was promoted to management a little less than two years later.  I only stayed there for another year after that, as there is not much further you can climb unless you are willing to stick around for another 10+ years and hope that the restaurant supervisor retires.

As a crew member, we were entitled to half-price meals, and as a manager, free food, although I generally ate for free before that anyway.

It wasn't really the worst job in the world (certainly more fun than I've always perceived retail to be), but you have to put up with your share of abusive / overly entitled customers, particularly at night, and the 'shiftwork' hours prevent you from having a healthy sleeping pattern.  I found similar work with fixed hours, Monday to Friday, upon moving to Sydney and probably wouldn't go back to it unless I couldn't find anything else.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2013, 03:52:24 PM »

ive applied for a job at mcdonalds.  my credentials as a poor are unquestioned.

...cue elitist comments from opebo.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2013, 05:54:11 PM »

how does it compare to other low wage jobs like grocery, retail etc?

do employees get discounts?

I had three restaurant jobs when I was younger.  Once I was a frycook, once I delivered pizza, and once I was a waiter at a seafood restaurant.  I didn't last long at any of those jobs.  Maybe a couple of months each.  At the pizza place, we got all the free food we could eat.  It was pretty sweet, actually.  And people gave tips.  One dude smoked a joint with me.  Another gave me a beer.  At the seafood place I was still in high school, so I was at home and could eat my mother's food, but I got all the free food I wanted there.  Somebody else had to take out the wine and/or beer when it was ordered, because back then you had to be 18 to serve beer and wine.  I think legally you had to be 18 to change the change the keg as well, but we didn't really enforce that, so I got my first experiences at keg-tapping while there.  The frycook job didn't offer any discounts.  It was the lamest job of the three.  I was actually expected to buy my food.  I made burgers, fries, fish sandwiches, etc.  I would just screw up the order once in a while.  Put on Mustard if they ordered mayonnaise.  Forget to hold the onions, whatever.  Any customer complains and we'd say "sorry, we'll send out another."  So in that job I managed to eat free as well. 

I don't recommend it.  I had many blue-collar jobs starting from my junior year in high school and throughout my undergrad university years, and the food industry jobs rank among my least favorite.  You always come home smelling nasty, the pay is bad, and you don't really learn any skills.  At least you can eat for free.  I suppose that this is the main benefit.

For you, I'd recommend bar work.  I think you'd make a good bartender.  You can practice your pop psychology and meet new people while you're at it.  Get one of those guides and learn how to make drinks.   I'm not sure how it works at bars, but they may even let you drink at a discounted rate.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2013, 06:50:05 AM »

My comments are never elitist, Mitty.  How much does the McDonald pay?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2013, 07:38:58 AM »

In MA, no more than $8.50/hr.

Good luck with the application, WalterMitty.  I do hope that you specified a 24/7 availability - that was pretty much the only thing my restaurant looked at once the applicant was over the age of 18.  And, of course, a keen interest in the job if they got an interview.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2013, 08:43:59 AM »

Good luck with the application, WalterMitty.  I do hope that you specified a 24/7 availability - that was pretty much the only thing my restaurant looked at once the applicant was over the age of 18.  And, of course, a keen interest in the job if they got an interview.

this store isnt open 24 hours.  it is open 5-11.  i put open availability 7 days a week.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2013, 09:43:27 AM »

Closest thing to fast food I've worked was as a dishwasher for $7.40, preceded by a criminally low trainee wage. Never plan on working food related industries again, I'll tell you that. Industrial and outdoor labor is the way to go, regardless of wage. Too bad I'm not 18 yet. Damned Road Commission (for more than one reason, I'll tell ya that!).
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2013, 10:07:43 AM »

Closest thing to fast food I've worked was as a dishwasher for $7.40, preceded by a criminally low trainee wage. Never plan on working food related industries again, I'll tell you that. Industrial and outdoor labor is the way to go, regardless of wage. Too bad I'm not 18 yet. Damned Road Commission (for more than one reason, I'll tell ya that!).

Amen to that. Plus industrial labour pays better. Why work at McD's for $8.50/hr when you can load trucks for $11/hr?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2013, 10:25:25 AM »

Amen to that. Plus industrial labour pays better. Why work at McD's for $8.50/hr when you can load trucks for $11/hr?

$8.50!? Where's this?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2013, 10:37:57 AM »

$8.50!? Where's this?

Regardless of the specific fast food wage, warehouse work will tend to pay better and the only extra qualification is a modest degree of physical fitness.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2013, 10:43:48 AM »

Plus it gets you in shape, bosses are generally less dickish and you don't have to put up with customers.  Customers suck in general, customers at McDonalds have got to be right up there with the worst.

FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2013, 10:47:07 AM »

$8.50!? Where's this?

Regardless of the specific fast food wage, warehouse work will tend to pay better and the only extra qualification is a modest degree of physical fitness.

Oh wow. Michigan's is above national minimum wage, but it's at $7.40, which is what I was making dishwashing. My current "job"--temporary, only for a few weeks given college and my illegality--pays much better, though the air drills (and tons of other tools) are awful and thus I have the day off while the boss goes and gets some quality instruments.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2013, 11:39:37 AM »

Actually, this seems like a good example of how the poor/uneducated can better themselves, despite Opebo's protests.

Fast food --> Labourer --> Government Work
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2013, 11:45:29 AM »

Actually, this seems like a good example of how the poor/uneducated can better themselves, despite Opebo's protests.

No, they can't better themselves, but the government can better them, yes, as your chart shows.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2013, 12:07:48 PM »

No, they can't better themselves, but the government can better them, yes, as your chart shows.

Fine

Fast food --> Labourer --> Government Utility/Other stable corporation Work

Incidentally this was the career path of most of my co-workers in my last summer job. They earned the equivalent of $10, then $15, then $20/hr in the space of 5-10 years.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2013, 12:17:17 PM »

It does seem that most prostitution prohibitionist sentiment comes from a desire to control women's sexual choices.

Some of it probably does come from that. Others are appalled by the exploitation of  (and often, violence against)  women (especially underage and/or poor women) through coercion, intimidation, and threats-hardly a "choice" for many of those women.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2013, 01:10:49 PM »

It does seem that most prostitution prohibitionist sentiment comes from a desire to control women's sexual choices.

Some of it probably does come from that. Others are appalled by the exploitation of  (and often, violence against)  women (especially underage and/or poor women) through coercion, intimidation, and threats-hardly a "choice" for many of those women.
How does the legal prohibition stop any of this? The sex slavery you describe is often a result of the prohibition. Prohibition keeps men in control of women and their sexuality, which is my entire point.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2013, 01:23:57 PM »

Some of it probably does come from that. Others are appalled by the exploitation of  (and often, violence against)  women (especially underage and/or poor women) through coercion, intimidation, and threats-hardly a "choice" for many of those women.
How does the legal prohibition stop any of this? The sex slavery you describe is often a result of the prohibition. Prohibition keeps men in control of women and their sexuality, which is my entire point.

German sex slaves would disagree.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2013, 01:41:04 PM »

surprised to hear you're applying for work Walter, I'd always assumed you were on SS disability.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2013, 03:23:52 PM »

German sex slaves would disagree.

DC let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater.  Most prostitutes do very well where 1) their profession is legal in their country, and 2) they are working in their homeland, and thus have full legal rights.

Here in Thailand the Thai prostitutes do very well - making much more than their non-prostitute sisters - and face little or no violence or coercion.  My 'regular girl' makes around $800-1,000/month (about 2-3 times what a clerk makes working full time) working just a couple of hours a day, about 15-20 days per month, mostly from a set of reliable regulars.  Of course to be fair she's 20 years old and super-hot.. the situation is not so easy for those who are past their 'sell by' date.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies