working fast food
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 09:10:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  working fast food
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: ....
worked it

havent worked it

never would work it

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 48

Author Topic: working fast food  (Read 3763 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 09, 2013, 07:22:19 PM »

how does it compare to other low wage jobs like grocery, retail etc?

do employees get discounts?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 08:04:31 PM »

I worked at a Subway for a year+, was much more fun the bagging groceries.  Actually, it was the most fun I ever had working, but that had more to do with the people than the job.  Not that the job was hard, it certainly wasn't.  I got several of my friends jobs, made some more working, met my ex-wife.  Me and my friends were in charge after 5pm every day so we'd play loud rock music, it was one of the few places where you could still smoke (this was 93/4), so it became a place where the cool high school kids hung out (I was in college).  We were in a strip mall and most of the other stores were closed so we had a huge parking lot to do donuts in and other dangerous sh**t teenage boys do.  I'd even show up on my days off just to hang out, help a bit if needed and just have fun.  It was like a continuous party that we got paid a little for had had access to all the lunch meat and bread we could ever want.

So yeah, fast food can be awesome if you avoid places that deal in grease and if you get to be in charge and if you don't need a lot of money.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 08:47:11 PM »
« Edited: July 09, 2013, 08:49:09 PM by traininthedistance »

I spent a summer working at Burger King.

It was fine, and I had lunch for free.  And my nametag said "CHRIST".  But I haven't eaten a fast food hamburger since.  There's just something about those warming trays.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 09:32:08 PM »

Been working it for four years.

I have plenty of horror stories.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 09:57:59 PM »

I worked at Wendys for almost 9 years. We got free food until a few years before I quit where we got 50% off. I was kind of a sucky job for the most part. I worked the lunch shift which was very busy and fast paced and you had to be very quick. The evenings are better and slower and we would have some fun then but there is no time for fun on the open and lunch shift. I worked the close for a few years but I didn't like not getting home till after 1am and to sleep around 3am then sleeping in to noon. I had some asshole bosses too that didn't like me. I was able to work a set schedule and didn't have to work weekends, plus I could request time off with 2 weeks notice. The job was quite flexible. It is a very under appreciated job that gets no respect at all. Customers treat you terrible sometimes although most are pleasant enough. The lack of respect for low wage workers is quite awful and a sad reflection on our society.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 10:03:36 PM »

I'm managed to avoid it so far thankfully. Dealing with meat grosses me out.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 10:07:49 PM »

Never would work it. I don't have the kind of energy to bust my balls for minimum wage.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 10:46:05 PM »

Please elaborate.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 08:33:36 AM »

Never.  I worked in a grocery store stocking and bagging, then as a pizza delivery driver, but never "fast food".  Mrs. Grumps worked at a Wendy's when she was in school........she won't eat at one ever again she said.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 08:57:37 AM »

I've never had to, but most of my friends used it as a first job to get a better low wage service job, so I imagine it sucks. If you're doing minimum wage work, try for something like landscaping or security. It's much better. Minding the desk overnight was the best summer job ever.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 09:05:03 AM »

Please elaborate.

Well what would you like to hear about? Having to wipe up dead flies in the dining area the other day, cleaning literally everything with bleach, rampant sexual harassment, or...?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2013, 11:34:49 AM »

I worked food service for Cornell Dining, which isn't the same thing.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2013, 01:12:22 PM »

Please elaborate.

Well what would you like to hear about? Having to wipe up dead flies in the dining area the other day, cleaning literally everything with bleach, rampant sexual harassment, or...?

unfortunately sexual harassment is epidemic in most workplaces.  it happens more in low wage place because many workers dont know their rights.

i hope you dont have any masterbating into the mayonnaise stories,...
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2013, 03:02:45 PM »

it happens more in low wage place because many workers dont know their rights.

Even if they did, what could they do about it?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2013, 03:16:59 PM »

Worked it, hated it.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2013, 03:34:45 PM »

Please elaborate.

I don't doubt that working at a fast food place sucks, but cleaning doesn't sound so bad. In cleaning my home, I come across dead insects from time to time. Not a wonderful moment, but not the end of the world either. If the pay were reasonable (which is certainly isn't), I think it would be a reasonably decent job for a young person, much more comparable to waiting tables, which I have done. Most olds, however, would still lack the stamina to be on their feet all day and move quickly. I also would think the deep fryer and grill would be a greater source of concern. I knew a guy way back in the day who worked at a fried chicken place after school and on weekends, and he would frequently get small grease burns all over his hands from the oil splashing, which even thinking about now, more than a dozen years later, sounds so incredibly miserable.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2013, 03:38:39 PM »

Yes. Burger King for about a year and a half in high school.

In regards to discounts employees could get food for half off, which I did for a while but most other employees just took what they wanted within reason (standard combo meal, basically) and the managers didn't care so I eventually did that instead. Honestly I got so tired of the food I would go to McDonald's just to taste something different, and I preferred their fries anyways.

The experience will vary depending on what kind of hours you maintain, how busy your location is, and what positions you do. My BK was one of only two fast food joints in town, the other being the McDonald's across the street, so it was quite busy. I mainly worked as a cashier, but also could run the broiler and run the 'specialty' food line (fish, chicken, and frying stuff), and of course I had to keep the place clean every now and then. I had my hours limited from like 5-10 or something like that so I never had to open or close the place except on the rare holiday when we had short hours.

The worst job IMO was working at the main window for the drive through, as you were expected to get customers through in three minutes or less on average - this included the time they sat on their ass deciding what they wanted, and if they drove off without making it to the main window because the place was busy then it would mess up the timer. I think I once had a mild panic attack because we got really, super busy and the other person helping man the window was on break. On the other hand, the easiest job was manning the second window at the drive through on busier days when it was open - you didn't take orders or hand people food, you just handled the money and prepacking toys into kid's meal bags. It was a bit boring, but on the other hand it was peaceful and quiet compared to the other stuff going on.

I eventually quit because a newer manager who was made responsible for scheduling work started giving me only 10 hours a week, which was only half of what I wanted.

After that I got a new job until it was time to go to college working at a movie theater. (AMC) It was initially a $1 hour cut in pay, but honestly I recommend it over fast food by quite a bit. I still got the half off discount on food, and it was significantly more peaceful even when working concessions. (when people have fewer options, like whether or not they want pickles, it takes them significantly less time to make decisions) You start with concessions only, but then you are an usher, and then you sell tickets, and IIRC they gave you a $.25 per hour raise as you were able to do more of these. There were also other opportunities for pay increases, such as an inspection period where they'd give you a raise if your uniform was always worn properly and cleanly. You could also get an even better pay raise if you wanted to become a projectionist. Additionally, employees and close family members (spouse, children, siblings, parents) could see movies for free - my mother ended up seeing a lot of movies that summer. I would recommend going for this route if you are looking for jobs of this pay grade, just from personal experience.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2013, 03:52:18 PM »

These days whenever I go to fast food joint (or any other low wage workplace), I can't help but feel bad for the workers. They look so miserable (even if it's not very obvious) waiting on me, even at somewhere like Subway Sad
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2013, 03:53:26 PM »

I've been behind the counter at a McDonald's once... I will never work at a fast food restaurant.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2013, 04:18:08 PM »

Option 3.  As much as I love fast food, I would never want to work in a fast food restaurant.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2013, 04:33:58 PM »

These days whenever I go to fast food joint (or any other low wage workplace), I can't help but feel bad for the workers. They look so miserable (even if it's not very obvious) waiting on me, even at somewhere like Subway Sad

They're slaves Hatman.  Doomed to toil like that till they die.

WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2013, 05:00:12 PM »

They're slaves Hatman.  Doomed to toil like that till they die.

for the most part i find your act harmless and sometimes humorous.  i do get tired of you throwing around the 'slave' word.

the young girls you sexually exploit are much closer to being slaves than the low wage american worker.

i think that running the cash register at mcdonalds is quite a bit better than slavery, with better benefits too.

i do hope your elitism is an act.  if it isnt it is disgusting.  even more disgusting are the young liberals who mistake your elitism for compassion.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2013, 05:07:17 PM »

the young girls you sexually exploit are much closer to being slaves than the low wage american worker.

As usual, you know nothing about what you spout, Mitty.  The girls I know are entirely freelancers nowadays (that was always my focus, and now that I'm 'embedded' in the society, that's all I do), so very few people even know they're taking the easy way out in terms of money-making, much less anyone 'controlling' them.  They make several times what your fast-food workers do in real terms.

i think that running the cash register at mcdonalds is quite a bit better than slavery, with better benefits too.

What on earth are you talking about?  What is the benefit?  Not starving is the only one I have ever noticed.

i do hope your elitism is an act.  if it isnt it is disgusting.  even more disgusting are the young liberals who mistake your elitism for compassion.

I have neither elitism nor (much) compassion, Mitty, I just look at things honestly.  Low wage employment in a capitalist society is a trap which permanently enslaves these people.  There's no way out.  What does recognizing that have to do with either elitism or compassion?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2013, 05:28:48 PM »

It does seem that most prostitution prohibitionist sentiment comes from a desire to control women's sexual choices. Many years ago, there was also an anti syphilis angle but you don't hear so much about that in recent decades.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2013, 07:51:19 PM »

is it true that advancement opportunities happen quickly in the fast food industry?
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies