Senate Bill: Atlasian Education Modernization Act (Rejected)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 22, 2024, 10:34:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Senate Bill: Atlasian Education Modernization Act (Rejected)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13
Author Topic: Senate Bill: Atlasian Education Modernization Act (Rejected)  (Read 13524 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: July 19, 2013, 07:30:39 AM »

Status of the Bill:

Senators have 24 hours to object to Napoleon's assumption of sponsorship.

56:04, 56:06 and 56:10 by TNF - rejected

56:05 an 56:07 by TNF and 56:08 by Scott withdrawn

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor Feedback: Hostile until Nappy is confirmed.
Status: A vote is now open on the above amendment, Senators please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.

Sponsor Feedback: Friendly/Origination

Sponsor Feedback: Origination/Friendly

Sponsor Feedback: Friendly

I just noticed a key problem, the number of day 190 versus 180. I was basing this of TNF's amendment that had 180 in it, without checking the original text. One more reason why I am holding it for now.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #176 on: July 19, 2013, 10:44:07 AM »

Aye.

It's not perfect, but cutting the ties between standardized testing and school funding is an admirable step forward that this Senate should embrace. We should not rob working class children of their right to an education because of circumstances beyond their control that ultimately result in lower test scores.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #177 on: July 19, 2013, 12:08:16 PM »

On the contrary, I would think that low scores would be indicative of the need to funnel more funding into and area. And I don't really see what would be so bad about that. I'll think on it some more and vote when I'm back from work.

As for you suggestions, Snowguy... I agree with a lot of them, but I think specific things like technology and hours are best left to the regions. Once I see the bill in a version that's closer to what this senate wants to pass, I'll go through and say where I think things should be scrapped. It'll be easier to do at the end. I may find that the whole bill has jurisdictional issues, and in that case I'll vote accordingly.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #178 on: July 19, 2013, 03:01:17 PM »

Aye
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #179 on: July 19, 2013, 06:11:29 PM »

Aye
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #180 on: July 19, 2013, 06:16:04 PM »

Aye
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #181 on: July 19, 2013, 07:39:32 PM »

Aye
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #182 on: July 19, 2013, 08:19:42 PM »

Abstain
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #183 on: July 20, 2013, 04:05:26 AM »

Aye

But I would like to limit testing in some way and possibly change the methods used so that we can get a better and more accurate read on the performance of the students, without causing them to dominate the curriculum focus and so forth.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #184 on: July 20, 2013, 04:41:02 AM »

Vote on Amendment 56:11 by Napoleon

Aye (6): Maxque, Napoleon, NC Yankee, sbane, TJ in Cleve and TNF
Nay (0):
Abstain (1): HagridoftheDeep

Didn't Vote (1): Gass3268
Vacant Seats (2): Kalwejt and Scott

The amendment has passed.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #185 on: July 20, 2013, 04:49:32 AM »

Status of the Bill:

Senators have 2 hours and some change to object to Napoleon's assumption of sponsorship.

56:11, 56:12, and 56:13 by Napoleon - passed/adopted

56:04, 56:06 and 56:10 by TNF - rejected

56:05 an 56:07 by TNF and 56:08 by Scott withdrawn

I have revised the following amendment, which has voided the friendly judgement. I made the day requiremment the same as the current text (190) and named the sub office using Nix's Reorganization Act, because "The appropriate agency" gets awkward after a while.

Sponsor Feedback: None Provided
Status: A vote is now open on the above amendment, please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.

This will help faciliate some of what Snowguy was talking about by the way.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #186 on: July 20, 2013, 05:30:58 AM »

Aye

But I would like to limit testing in some way and possibly change the methods used so that we can get a better and more accurate read on the performance of the students, without causing them to dominate the curriculum focus and so forth.

Oh, sure they can be improved, but that shouldn't be decided by Senate. High ranking public servants at the Department of Education can do that better than us.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #187 on: July 20, 2013, 05:34:02 AM »

AYE.

This is needed for schools having an alternative programs catering to special needs, or which just have a different teaching philosophy. The important is the result, not the way they use.

190 days is excessive, through. Anyways, it should be defined in hours, not days.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #188 on: July 20, 2013, 05:50:59 AM »

Aye

Oh, sure they can be improved, but that shouldn't be decided by Senate. High ranking public servants at the Department of Education can do that better than us.

Well of course, but we need to make sure they have the authority to do so and probably a legislative directive for them to develop such.

AYE.

This is needed for schools having an alternative programs catering to special needs, or which just have a different teaching philosophy. The important is the result, not the way they use.

190 days is excessive, through. Anyways, it should be defined in hours, not days.

I was unsure how to approach that in the amendent, TNF had 180, but the current text had 190. My goal is to insert the desired process so that they have flexibility at lower levels, whenever we decide between days versus hours and how long exacly that period is, that they will have to ability to chart a slightly different couse, with the necessary amount of federal oversight of course.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #189 on: July 20, 2013, 08:35:40 AM »

Aye.

I would prefer 180; the reasoning there is that we already don't have a five day week, so the fewer days would be easier to mesh with the working schedules of parents.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #190 on: July 20, 2013, 11:30:16 AM »

Aye.

I would prefer 180; the reasoning there is that we already don't have a five day week, so the fewer days would be easier to mesh with the working schedules of parents.

Establishing a four-day school week might help with this. (It'd also reduce the length of summer vacation, which would improve retention of learned material and prevent poorer students from falling behind over the long break.)

However, we do need to be careful about being consistent with the work schedule's of parents. Plenty work for smaller businesses that we do not require to abide by the 32-hour work week. And we have no idea how employers have responded to the reduction, either. Do most allow everyone to take Friday off? Is it common to take a day in the middle of the week off to run errands? Do most people opt for a shorter workday?

I appreciate the thought you're putting into this, but wouldn't it be better to leave some of these details to the regions? We can set minimums for days of in-school learning, but let's not dictate exactly how this time should be distributed. I won't vote to support that. If I was part of a regional government, I also wouldn't vote to shorten the summer holidays.

As for your second paragraph, I'm currently working 32.5 hours a week. The job runs 9:00-4:30 with an unpaid lunch, Monday to Friday. I suspect this pattern would be one of the more common distributions. Essentially you are away at work for what would amount to a 9:00-5:00 job anyway, but you are short shortchanged five hours' pay for lunch.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #191 on: July 20, 2013, 11:31:12 AM »

Aye
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #192 on: July 21, 2013, 06:47:40 AM »

Preferably the LEA (basically county school board here in NC or school district administration in other states) would be best suited to make these decisions based on what will best provide for the education of the students, whilst also considering the factors present in that local community.

I remember once when you know who, wanted us to dictate year round school from the federal level in 2009, which provoked a reaction from myself similar to a certain one that the President, Vice President and a Senator experienced three or so days ago. Tongue

Granted that is a still a lot of schools and people for like the LA or NYC systems but they would be able to better arrange a system for NYC whilst the rural county systems in NC can for theres then us or the Regional Governments trying to make one that would fit both types of localities.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #193 on: July 22, 2013, 06:03:37 AM »

AYE

We are short on this vote. Apparently Maxy quoting mine from the previous vote made me think I had already voted on this one.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #194 on: July 22, 2013, 06:12:48 AM »

I'm sorry for that, Yankee.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #195 on: July 22, 2013, 09:07:22 PM »

Aye
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #196 on: July 23, 2013, 07:19:04 AM »

What a sh**tty vote.

Bore, Gass3268, Napoleon and sbane have yet to vote on Amendment 56:15 by NC Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #197 on: July 23, 2013, 07:20:06 AM »

Also in case I forgot to sayi t before, Nappy is now sponsor here.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #198 on: July 23, 2013, 01:27:55 PM »

aye
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #199 on: July 23, 2013, 01:29:27 PM »

Aye
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13