Virginia 2005 Gubernatorial Election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 08:11:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Virginia 2005 Gubernatorial Election
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15
Poll
Question: Whom would you vote for?
Atny General Jerry Kilgore (R)

Lt. Governor Tim Kaine (D)

State Senator Russell Potts, Jr. (I)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 93

Author Topic: Virginia 2005 Gubernatorial Election  (Read 31338 times)
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: October 18, 2005, 02:22:21 PM »

If Potts drops out and endorses Kaine (he hates Kilgore), it could do a lot towards swinging the race to Kaine. Let's hope it happens.

Pray it happens, for the sake of Virginia
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #226 on: October 18, 2005, 02:49:26 PM »

Be careful what you wish for.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #227 on: October 18, 2005, 02:52:10 PM »

I just consider Kaine the lesser of two evils actually. I really dont like either of them.
MHS2002

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 1.57

« Reply #228 on: October 18, 2005, 03:05:06 PM »

Potts is in. He will not drop out.

Potts gets pro-choice GOP nod, decries death penalty ads

By BOB LEWIS
Associated Press Writer

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) -- Independent gubernatorial candidate Russ Potts, wounded by being locked out of the only debate televised statewide, promised Monday to remain in the race "till the last dog dies."

Potts quelled rumors that he might exit the campaign and side with Democrat Tim Kaine over Republican Jerry Kilgore.

"I would never, never get out of this race. I could never live with myself," Potts said at a news conference.

"Till the last dog dies, I will be in this race and you can bet on that," he said. "And I will not endorse anybody."

A dissident Republican from Winchester serving his fourth state Senate term, Potts criticized both of his opponents, but particularly Kilgore, whom he accuses of leading the most right-wing ticket ever in Virginia.

Potts said his campaign had been hurt by his exclusion from a televised debate Oct. 9 between Kilgore and Democrat Tim Kaine.

"It's obviously calculated by Mr. Kilgore that he does not want to ... face the music with the voters of Virginia between now and election day," Potts said. "He is hopeful that people will forget the fact that I was excluded from the debate."

Potts was barred from the debate for failing to muster at least 15 percent in statewide public opinion polls before the debate as ground rules dictated.

Potts spoke at a state Capitol news conference during which he received the endorsement of the Republican Majority for Choice, a national group that backs GOP candidates who support the Supreme Court's 1973 Roe v. Wade ruling that legalized abortion.

Of the three gubernatorial candidates, Potts has taken the clearest position in support of abortion rights.

"I have said unequivocally and repeatedly that if Roe v. Wade would be bounced back to the states and a governor had to make a decision about whether to overturn Roe v. Wade, I would strongly endorse the retention of Roe v. Wade and would ... veto any attempt to overturn that," Potts said.

Kaine has personal objections to abortion based on his Roman Catholic faith but says he would oppose efforts to outlaw abortion in Virginia.

In three debates this year, Kilgore refused to say whether he would sign a bill to outlaw abortion in Virginia if a new Supreme Court reverses Roe v. Wade. He has, however, advocated allowing abortions for rape and incest victims only if they have reported the attacks within seven days to police and would not rule out criminal penalties for abortion doctors.

He also implored Kilgore and Kaine to end their fight over the death penalty that has consumed the campaign the past week. He said it was an effort by both campaigns to avoid discussing such issues such as the state's transportation crisis and adequate public school and health care funding.

"Everywhere we go we hear the comment, `Is this the most important thing we can talk about in Virginia?'" Potts said.

"Regardless of who is elected in Virginia, I can assure you that the death penalty will be applied because ... if one candidate or the other went off the deep end and tried to grant clemency on every death penalty, make no mistake there would be huge amounts of legislation passed to put a halt to that kind of practice," he said.

Virginia's 94 executions since the Supreme Court reinstated the death penalty in 1974 rank second only to Texas.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #229 on: October 18, 2005, 03:33:53 PM »

By BOB LEWIS
Associated Press Writer

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) -- Independent gubernatorial candidate Russ Potts, wounded by being locked out of the only debate televised statewide, promised Monday to remain in the race "till the last dog dies."

Potts quelled rumors that he might exit the campaign and side with Democrat Tim Kaine over Republican Jerry Kilgore.

"I would never, never get out of this race. I could never live with myself," Potts said at a news conference.

"Till the last dog dies, I will be in this race and you can bet on that," he said. "And I will not endorse anybody."

A dissident Republican from Winchester serving his fourth state Senate term, Potts criticized both of his opponents, but particularly Kilgore, whom he accuses of leading the most right-wing ticket ever in Virginia.

Potts said his campaign had been hurt by his exclusion from a televised debate Oct. 9 between Kilgore and Democrat Tim Kaine.

"It's obviously calculated by Mr. Kilgore that he does not want to ... face the music with the voters of Virginia between now and election day," Potts said. "He is hopeful that people will forget the fact that I was excluded from the debate."

Potts was barred from the debate for failing to muster at least 15 percent in statewide public opinion polls before the debate as ground rules dictated.

Potts spoke at a state Capitol news conference during which he received the endorsement of the Republican Majority for Choice, a national group that backs GOP candidates who support the Supreme Court's 1973 Roe v. Wade ruling that legalized abortion.

Of the three gubernatorial candidates, Potts has taken the clearest position in support of abortion rights.

"I have said unequivocally and repeatedly that if Roe v. Wade would be bounced back to the states and a governor had to make a decision about whether to overturn Roe v. Wade, I would strongly endorse the retention of Roe v. Wade and would ... veto any attempt to overturn that," Potts said.

Kaine has personal objections to abortion based on his Roman Catholic faith but says he would oppose efforts to outlaw abortion in Virginia.

In three debates this year, Kilgore refused to say whether he would sign a bill to outlaw abortion in Virginia if a new Supreme Court reverses Roe v. Wade. He has, however, advocated allowing abortions for rape and incest victims only if they have reported the attacks within seven days to police and would not rule out criminal penalties for abortion doctors.

He also implored Kilgore and Kaine to end their fight over the death penalty that has consumed the campaign the past week. He said it was an effort by both campaigns to avoid discussing such issues such as the state's transportation crisis and adequate public school and health care funding.

"Everywhere we go we hear the comment, `Is this the most important thing we can talk about in Virginia?'" Potts said.

"Regardless of who is elected in Virginia, I can assure you that the death penalty will be applied because ... if one candidate or the other went off the deep end and tried to grant clemency on every death penalty, make no mistake there would be huge amounts of legislation passed to put a halt to that kind of practice," he said.

Virginia's 94 executions since the Supreme Court reinstated the death penalty in 1974 rank second only to Texas.

Damn
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #230 on: October 18, 2005, 06:06:40 PM »

Another VA Poll (Hotline):

Kaine sports a 2-pt lead over Kilgore among registered voters; Kilgore leads by a point among likelies. Education and transportation are the most important issues. Dems seem to be more enthused about their guy than GOPers are about theirs.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #231 on: October 18, 2005, 06:10:20 PM »

According to the poll numbers, Kaine leads Kilgore 41-40 among likely voters.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #232 on: October 18, 2005, 06:10:59 PM »

This race will be like a straw poll of what will happen in 06. Although anything can happen in a year.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #233 on: October 18, 2005, 06:14:40 PM »

Kaine also seems to be making some head way of late. Strange, because lately he has been expressing himself more as a liberal.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #234 on: October 18, 2005, 08:29:13 PM »

Kaine also seems to be making some head way of late. Strange, because lately he has been expressing himself more as a liberal.

Honesty usually flies better.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #235 on: October 18, 2005, 09:18:30 PM »

agreed, atleast he is strong enough to express what he thinks
Blank Slate
Rookie

« Reply #236 on: October 18, 2005, 10:13:29 PM »

By BOB LEWIS
Associated Press Writer

Damn

Or as we say in Georgia:  Shucks, a muck.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #237 on: October 18, 2005, 11:08:03 PM »

agreed, atleast he is strong enough to express what he thinks

It could be a very will timed political move.  Go honest and try and let sinceerity carry him home.  If he does it too early, his left of the state views will kill him.  If he goes too late, he may not get enough of a positive effect to win.  If he does it just right, he peaks on election day and get his best possible performance in the situation.

Personally, I think he moved a bit too early because he is hoping to cash in on the hard negative turn Kilgore took.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #238 on: October 19, 2005, 09:18:57 AM »

Actually, the public polls being released are weighted to the left (the private ones, as was the case in the 1980 Presidential election are more accurate).

Kaine has finally realized that he cannot plausibly pretend to be a moderate (Kilgore has sliced and diced him on that) and that Potts is NOT going to drop out and is pulling several points from Kaine.

Ergo, when dishonesty doesn't work, try honesty.

Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #239 on: October 19, 2005, 02:49:41 PM »

Actually, the public polls being released are weighted to the left (the private ones, as was the case in the 1980 Presidential election are more accurate).

Kaine has finally realized that he cannot plausibly pretend to be a moderate (Kilgore has sliced and diced him on that) and that Potts is NOT going to drop out and is pulling several points from Kaine.

Ergo, when dishonesty doesn't work, try honesty.

Do you think Kilgore will copy kaine and shift more to the right and say what he truly thinks in hope of killing what little momentum kaine has?
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #240 on: October 19, 2005, 07:34:22 PM »
« Edited: October 19, 2005, 07:35:57 PM by nickshep democRAT »

Couple of updates:

Kilgore has 2 new spots out.  The first is Senator Allen endorsing Jerry Kilgore for Governor.  The second, basically a Kilgore Biography ad.

Kilgore Ad:  http://jerrykilgore.com/contents/media/videos/ads/domesticviolence.shtml
Sen. Allen Ad:  http://jerrykilgore.com/contents/media/videos/ads/allen.shtml
----------

One more thing, it looks like Kilgore is taking a play out of the 'Warner for Governor' playbook.  This weekend at the Nextel Cup Subway 500 in Martinsville,  Hermie Sadler will be driving the "Kilgore For Governor" car.

ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #241 on: October 19, 2005, 08:02:11 PM »

Couple of updates:

Kilgore has 2 new spots out.  The first is Senator Allen endorsing Jerry Kilgore for Governor.  The second, basically a Kilgore Biography ad.

Kilgore Ad:  http://jerrykilgore.com/contents/media/videos/ads/domesticviolence.shtml
Sen. Allen Ad:  http://jerrykilgore.com/contents/media/videos/ads/allen.shtml
----------

One more thing, it looks like Kilgore is taking a play out of the 'Warner for Governor' playbook.  This weekend at the Nextel Cup Subway 500 in Martinsville,  Hermie Sadler will be driving the "Kilgore For Governor" car.

That car is a risk.  What if it crashes?
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #242 on: October 19, 2005, 08:11:59 PM »
« Edited: October 19, 2005, 08:16:34 PM by nickshep democRAT »

They'll probably just cheer if Sadler wrecks the car.  NASCAR fans love wrecks.  At least my parents do.

I get what your saying though.  The car wrecking would be a bad omen.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #243 on: October 20, 2005, 02:32:55 PM »

1st out of 3 prediction:

(D) Kaine   47%
(R) Kilgore 48%
(I) Potts     5%
Other         1%
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #244 on: October 20, 2005, 08:33:32 PM »
« Edited: October 21, 2005, 08:48:13 AM by CARLHAYDEN »

Just a little info to depress the Kaine supporters

In the 2001 General Election

Candidate     Office                         Percentage of Vote

Kilgore          Attorney General               60.01

Warner         Govenor                            52.16

Kaine            Lieutenant Govenor          50.35
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #245 on: October 20, 2005, 08:44:02 PM »

In the 1991 General Election

14 years ago? Pfff.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #246 on: October 21, 2005, 08:49:06 AM »

Thanks for pointing out the typo,

its was 2001.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #247 on: October 21, 2005, 09:06:08 AM »

1st out of 3 prediction:

(D) Kaine   47%
(R) Kilgore 48%
(I) Potts     5%
Other         1%
Who's the Other in the race?
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #248 on: October 21, 2005, 02:19:00 PM »

1st out of 3 prediction:

(D) Kaine   47%
(R) Kilgore 48%
(I) Potts     5%
Other         1%
Who's the Other in the race?

Disgruntled virginians who think all 3 candidates are crooks write-in there own name,

actually I dont know I was going to give kilgore 49% but I have a gut fealing he wont get above 48.
wahooliberty

« Reply #249 on: October 22, 2005, 04:17:16 PM »

In the 2001 General Election

Yes but Kilgore was running against ultra-left-wing-nut-job Donald McEachin, had the Dems picked someone else more like Warner, they would have sweeped all three. 
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies