Virginia 2005 Gubernatorial Election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:04:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Virginia 2005 Gubernatorial Election
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 15
Poll
Question: Whom would you vote for?
Atny General Jerry Kilgore (R)

Lt. Governor Tim Kaine (D)

State Senator Russell Potts, Jr. (I)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 93

Author Topic: Virginia 2005 Gubernatorial Election  (Read 30825 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 25, 2005, 06:55:58 AM »
« edited: October 26, 2005, 12:03:10 PM by Frodo »

And here are the websites of the various candidates, including Russell Potts, a centrist Republican who is running as an independent in the upcoming gubernatorial election:

Democrats

Tim Kaine for Governor

http://www.kaine2005.org/home.php

Leslie Byrne for Lt. Governor

http://www.lesliebyrne.org/site/PageServer

Creigh Deeds for Attorney General

http://www.creighdeeds.com/
---------------------------------------------------------------

Republicans

Jerry Kilgore for Governor

http://www.kilgore2005.com

Bill Bolling for Lt. Governor

http://www.billbolling.com/

'Bob' McDonnell for Attorney General

http://www.bobmcdonnell.com/
------------------------------------------------------------

Independent/Third Party candidate

Russell Potts, Jr. for Governor

http://www.russpotts.com/main.cfm
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2005, 07:59:36 AM »

Potts to Run for Va. Governor
GOP Maverick Plans An Independent Bid

By Michael D. Shear
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, February 25, 2005; Page B01

RICHMOND, Feb. 24 -- Sen. H. Russell Potts Jr., a Republican from Winchester, plans to announce Friday morning that he is mounting an independent bid for governor but will not formally leave the party he says is gripped by conservative social issues and anti-tax rhetoric.

Potts, an irascible politician who has become a voice of the GOP moderates as chairman of the Senate's Education and Health Committee, has scheduled a news conference at the State Capitol to announce his decision.

He declined to comment publicly Thursday, but aides and colleagues said Potts has informed them that he is certain to run as an "independent Republican" in the 2005 campaign.

"He is a good man, and he is a candidate. He is a natural," said Thomas J. D'Amore Jr., a senior campaign adviser to Potts who worked for Lowell P. Weicker Jr., a former U.S. senator and Connecticut governor. "Is it a long shot? You bet. You can expect a really good fight and a good deal of good sportsmanship."

His entry will transform the Virginia governor's campaign into a three-way race between Potts and the two likely major-party candidates, former attorney general Jerry W. Kilgore (R) and Lt. Gov. Timothy M. Kaine (D).

Some political observers said Potts could hand the race to Kaine if enough voters see the Winchester senator as an alternative to Kilgore's conservative policies.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A51590-2005Feb24.html
AuH2O
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2005, 11:56:34 AM »

Kilgore faces a primary challenge from Gerald Fitch, whose really a remarkable guy that's done wonders for Warrenton as mayor. Very interesting background. Kilgore is a huge favorite of course.

I'm not sure what I think of Kaine as a candidate. I think he won because of Warner's coattails, at least in part, and Kilgore is a much stronger candidate than Earley. Potts kind of screws the pooch a bit but hopefully he'll fall flat on his face.
MHS2002

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 1.57

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2005, 12:19:02 PM »

Russ Potts, the state Senator for the Frederick and Clarke County areas, is my state Senator. I don't want to say I "hate" him, but I strongly, strongly dislike him. He doesn't represent the views of this area at all and has been nothing but a thorn in the side of the Republican party since he last got elected in 2003. I'm almost positive he was one of the Republicans that voted for the latest tax increase. Nothing would make me happier than to see Potts fall flat on his face, either in the gubernatorial race or the state Senate race.

A little back story...in the 2003 Republican Primary for our Senate seat (which essentially doubles as the general election in these neck of the woods), he was seriously challenged by a local businessman from the Right, but was able to squeak by based on incumbency. Methinks he would not get reelected for state Senate here now; hopefully he will get another primary challenge if he has to run.
MHS2002

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2005, 05:26:52 PM »

Virginia GOP beginning to disown Potts

Potts Faces Wrath of Va. GOP
Leaders Move to Oust Senator Over Independent Bid

By Rosalind S. Helderman
Wednesday, March 9, 2005; Page B01

When Sen. H. Russell Potts Jr. announced last month that he would run for governor of Virginia as an "independent Republican," challenging the party's nominee for the job, he said he remained as much a part of the Republican family as his father before him.

This week, a Republican committee chaired decades ago by Potts's father formally disowned him.

In a unanimous vote Monday evening, the Winchester City Republican Committee declared that it no longer recognizes Potts as a member and called on him to resign his Senate seat.

Across the state, the Republican Party apparatus is working to formally rebuke the four-term senator for declaring he will bypass the party's June 14 primary and try to get his name on the Nov. 8 general election ballot as an independent. He would probably face Jerry W. Kilgore, the former state attorney general and leading Republican in the race, and Lt. Gov. Timothy M. Kaine, the probable Democratic nominee.

"You can't have it both ways. You can't be an 'independent Republican.' And he has to take responsibility for that," said Kate Obenshain Griffin, chairman of the state party and a member of the Winchester committee.

Potts dismissed the committee's actions and said he would not resign from the party or the Senate.

"They don't have the power to tell me whether I'm a Republican or not. Only God and myself have the power to do that," he said. "It's the party of my forefathers . . . . I will not yield to this radical, extreme, out-of-touch element in the Republican Party."

Resolutions by Republican committees statewide lay the groundwork for the General Assembly's one-day session next month, when legislators will gather to consider legislation vetoed or amended by Gov. Mark R. Warner (D).

Party leaders would like to see Senate Republicans use the occasion to remove Potts from his party's caucus and strip him of his committee assignments, including the chairmanship of the Senate's Education and Health Committee. From that perch, he has led a majority of the 15-member committee in blocking some conservative social legislation from reaching the Senate floor.

Meeting in City Hall, not far from Potts's downtown home, all 33 members of the Winchester committee who were present adopted a resolution on the "abandonment of the Republican Party by Senator Potts." Noting that committee bylaws require members to support the party's nominees for office, they expressed "disappointment" in Potts and said he has "shown continuous hostility toward the core principals" of the party.

"People worked very hard to elect him as a Republican," said Gary Chrisman, chairman of the committee. "To do this, everybody here is very saddened."

Potts believes the party has veered too far to the right and promised a populist appeal that draws votes from both Kaine and Kilgore. He has said he will lay out a plan to fix the state's transportation network and would consider tax increases to pay for it. He also favors allowing local governments to reinstate the full car tax.

Potts's senatorial district also includes Clarke and Frederick counties, as well as parts of Fauquier and Loudoun counties. Fauquier's Republican committee adopted a similar resolution at its meeting last weekend, and Loudoun members will consider action this month.

Potts's "Senate district is probably one of the most Republican districts in the state, " said Loudoun committee Chairman J. Randall Minchew. "People voted for Russ Potts not because he's Russ Potts, but because he had that 'R' after his name."

Under Senate rules, a lawmaker forfeits the right to a committee chairmanship should he "cease to be a member of the political party of which he was a member at the time of his election." The assembly's April 6 meeting could feature a parliamentary tussle over whether forfeiture should take place automatically or require a two-thirds majority vote. Senators may debate, too, whether Potts's action means he is no longer a party member.

Griffin said the resolutions from committees across the state should leave no doubt. "We're saying unequivocally that he is no longer a Republican," she said.

Meanwhile, Potts said he is working to gather the 10,000 signatures he needs to get on the ballot and appealing to longtime supporters, such as Winchester City Council President Charles T. Gaynor. Gaynor, a member of the Republican committee, said he could not attend Monday's meeting but would have voted against the resolution.

"I'm a moderate Republican, and there are a lot of us around here," Gaynor said. "Russ has abandoned the Republican Party, but I'm not so sure the Republican Party has not abandoned a lot of us."

Kilgore will face Warrenton Mayor George B. Fitch June 14.
MHS2002

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2005, 05:29:02 PM »

It's good to see Potts is beginning to fall flat on his face. He deserves it for putting his own selfish desires over those of his party (that is, if he is still a Republican anymore).
danwxman

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2005, 12:20:05 AM »

Serious question, are there any rumors about Kilgore's sexuality? He seems really gay.

He also has a very Southern accent...I realize the state is technically the South...but will that play over well in all parts of Virginia?
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2005, 10:38:13 PM »

Serious question, are there any rumors about Kilgore's sexuality? He seems really gay.

He also has a very Southern accent...I realize the state is technically the South...but will that play over well in all parts of Virginia?

Are you gay bashing?
danwxman

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2005, 12:27:06 AM »

Are you gay bashing?

Obviously not, I'm just curious.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2005, 10:56:23 PM »

KILL GORE!
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2005, 07:24:09 PM »
« Edited: April 02, 2005, 11:07:23 PM by Frodo »

just to revive this thread:

how well do you all think Kaine would do against Kilgore?
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2005, 10:12:45 PM »

In a two-way, Kilgore wins.  If it goes threeways, well, give it to Kaine.
MHS2002

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2005, 09:32:41 PM »

Bumping this thread: latest fundraising numbers for VA gubernatorial candidates

Kaine Retains Fundraising Edge
2-Month Total of $2 Million Tops Kilgore's $1.5 Million

By Michael D. Shear
Saturday, June 4, 2005; Page B05

RICHMOND, June Democratic gubernatorial candidate Timothy M. Kaine has once again outraised his likely Republican opponent, Jerry W. Kilgore, in the competition to become the state's 70th governor, according to figures released Friday by the campaigns.

Kaine, the lieutenant governor, will report to the State Board of Elections on Monday that he collected about $2 million from April 1 to June 1, according to campaign spokeswoman Delacey Skinner. That puts the total Kaine has raised for his campaign at a little more than $10 million.

Kaine will report having about $5 million on hand.

Kilgore, who was trailing Kaine by about $800,000 at the end of the last reporting period, will report raising about $1.5 million during the latest period, according to campaign manager Ken Hutcheson. In total, Kilgore has raised about $8.7 million.

Kilgore will have about $3.2 million on hand.

The two men are well on their way to reaching a mark both campaigns said was likely when the race began: $15 million each. The election is more than five months away, on Nov. 8.

Four years ago, Mark R. Warner spent a little more than $20 million in his victory over former attorney general Mark L. Earley, according to the Virginia Public Access Project, which tracks campaign money. Earley spent about $11.5 million.

Kaine campaign officials said their fundraising is an indication of the broad support the Democrat enjoys. The most recent report includes a fundraiser last month in Tysons Corner that featured Warner and brought in $1 million in one night.

"We're pleased with it," Skinner said. "We hit our goals, and we're very pleased with the Warner event."

Kaine's top donor for the period was Sheila Johnson, a philanthropist and new owner of the Washington Mystics women's basketball team. Johnson, former wife of Black Entertainment Television founder Robert Johnson, gave Kaine $100,000 during the period. She has given a total of about $400,000, according to VPAP.

Kaine also received $50,000 from Janice Brandt, an AOL executive, and $25,000 from Warner. He received $25,000 each from several unions.

"It's not a single donor," Skinner said. "This is just individual contributions."

Kilgore officials said they are pleased with their efforts, despite falling short of Kaine's fundraising. They noted that half of Kaine's total for the period includes the money generated by the Warner event, which Kaine said at the time would be his campaign's biggest fundraiser.

"The Kaine camp rolled out their biggest gun in the month of May," Hutcheson said. "We still have the very high probability of a presidential event, which is going to even up the race financially and then some."

Hutcheson also said Kaine's overall total includes a $1.5 million contribution from the Democratic National Committee. "The only difference in the money chase is the $1.5 million that [DNC Chairman] Howard Dean gave him," Hutcheson said. Kaine officials point out that the $1.5 million was provided by a previous DNC chairman, Terrence R. McAuliffe, not Dean.

Kilgore's top donations included $25,000 from American International Group, an insurance company; $25,000 from Altria, parent company of Philip Morris, the cigarette maker; and $25,000 from Mark Kington, a former business partner of Warner's.

Both campaigns said they spent about $2 million in the last two months, mostly on television and radio ads, which began appearing in markets across the state.

Sen. H. Russell Potts Jr. (R-Winchester), who is running for governor as an independent, declined Friday to say how much he has raised. He indicated that he had spent most of his time during the past two months collecting signatures to be placed on the ballot in November. As of April 1, Potts had raised about $375,000.

Warrenton Mayor George B. Fitch, who is challenging Kilgore for the Republican nomination, had raised about $155,000 as of April 1. He could not be reached by phone Friday for later figures.

Primary day is June 14. Next update will be then.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2005, 09:36:30 PM »

Nice... Im going to make a donation to the Kaine camaign next paycheck.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2005, 09:41:08 PM »

I've been getting e-mails solid for months saying Kilgore is pulling ahead in the fundraising. Good strategy I must say.
MHS2002

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2005, 07:17:18 PM »

A little update: Russ Potts has officially collected enough signatures and will be on the gubernatorial ballot in November.
Schmitz in 1972
Liberty
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2005, 11:20:48 AM »

A little update: Russ Potts has officially collected enough signatures and will be on the gubernatorial ballot in November.

I imagine a large percentage of those signatures are from Democrats...
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2005, 02:14:31 PM »

I imagine a large percentage of those signatures are from Democrats...

why?

it may end up being that potts takes more votes from dems than republicans (think john anderson, 1980).

just a possibility.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2005, 07:18:35 PM »

New SurveyUSA poll out on Virginia, conducted from 6/28/2005-6/29/2005. 

Conducted the way SurveyUSA usually does: 1,200 adults, 1,009 registered voters, 494 likely voters.  All samples are of the 494 likely voters.

These numbers look better for Kilgore than previous iterations, but it doesn't appear to me like the dynamic of the race has changed, although the internals here are slightly more favorable to Kilgore. 

Both sides seem to have their bases solidly behind them and independents are breaking roughly even for now.

In Virginia politics, all this should translate into about a 5-7% win for Kilgore if the numbers stay as they are.  Numbers do change, of course, but there really hasn't been any major movement I can see since polling began on this contest.

http://www.surveyusa.com/client/PollReport.aspx?g=12705bfe-d1f6-4932-a24c-d1a9049bbe9d

Topline numbers are:

Kilgore 49%, Kaine 39%, Potts 5%

To review the polling history of this race, previous polls have shown (to put in perspective):

SurveyUSA
(6/28-6/29) Kilgore 49%, Kaine 39%, Potts 5%
(5/15-5/16) Kilgore 44%, Kaine 40%, Potts 5%
(3/8-3/9) Kilgore 46%, Kaine 36%

Rasmussen
(6/15) Kilgore 46%, Kaine 40%, Other 2%
(4/14) Kilgore 44%, Kaine 36%, Other 5%
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2005, 08:41:54 PM »

Is Kilgore still refusing to debate?
MHS2002

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2005, 06:31:55 PM »

Is Kilgore still refusing to debate?

There will be two Kilgore-Kaine debates IIRC. The big stink right now is that Kilgore does not want Potts involved in any debates. Of course, part of that may be because Potts called Kilgore "a horrible leader. He would be probably the worst governor in the history of Virginia."

Right now, no candidates are really looking good. I'd consider voting for Potts, if he didn't suck, and I didn't hate him, and he wasn't a turncoat, and...(you get the general idea).
MHS2002

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2005, 06:42:03 PM »

One of the debates, sponsored by the Virginia Bar Association, will be Saturday, July 16, between Kilgore and Kaine. Another debate will take place at a Northern Virginia chamber of commerce group in September, and a third debate is in the works.
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2005, 10:15:17 AM »

From Politics1:

State Senator Russ Potts (Independent) has found a way to distinguish himself from his two major party opponents in the gubernatorial contest. Potts -- a church-going Methodist, grandfather and registered Republican -- told the AP he unequivocally supported allowing gays and lesbians to adopt children. "We're all God's children. I don't think that they ought to be precluded from adopting a child ... I know of several situations in which a gay person adopted a child and [was] just a very loving, caring parent," he said. Potts does not support same-sex marriage, but added "I can't imagine that a gay person gets to the pearly gates of heaven and this loving, benevolent God is going to deny that person a place in his kingdom because he or she is gay." Former Attorney General Jerry Kilgore (R) and Lieutenant Governor Tim Kaine (D) both quickly distanced themselves from Potts. "I've said that I don't support same-sex adoption or same-sex couple adoption and I don't favor gay adoption," said Kilgore. "I very much believe that the law in Virginia right now is the right law ... The only couple that can adopt is a married couple," explained Kaine.

Even if this isn't unprincipled pandering on Kaine's part, I'm still going to get off of his e-mail list now.  Go Potts!
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2005, 11:55:49 PM »

Mr Burns voice 'Excellent'. Hope more Dems think like you Q!
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2005, 04:09:08 PM »

Mr Burns voice 'Excellent'. Hope more Dems think like you Q!

Yeah.

Kaine only got elected in the first place because of Warner.  He's really not really that great, and I've never been the least bit enthusiastic about him.  I've been on his e-mail list for a while, only because I think Kilgore's even worse.  But still, I'm beginning to like Kaine less and less.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 15  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies