Update Season VIII - "Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My!"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 08:31:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update Season VIII - "Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My!"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64 65 ... 80
Author Topic: Update Season VIII - "Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My!"  (Read 167962 times)
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1475 on: July 09, 2013, 02:40:30 PM »

Dude just get a job

seriously if money is a problem why aren't you out jobhunting right now

you're not even trying and you don't even care, do you?

A quick Google search shows over 600 part time jobs in Bushie's area, so no.  Maybe memphis can apply for Bushie again.

I am looking.  It is absolutely, 100% mandatory though that I get Sunday's off.  There is no way around that.

Wait, God won't let you work a 3-11 shift Sunday?

I could do a Sunday evening shift, reluctantly, but I would prefer to have the entire day Sunday off.  I like to go to church twice on Sunday's.  If I could choose, I would prefer to have Wednesday nights off as well for the same reason.  Since I know beggars can't be choosers, I'm not going to make Wednesday a deal breaker.  What would be a deal breaker is Sundays before 1400.

Seriously, Bushie, start applying.  There won't be any deals to break without applying.  You owe it to yourself, your parents and your kids to start working right away.

Bushie has kids? Isn't he like 17?

Bushie is 31. And no, he has sponsor kids in Kenya that he thinks are his kids because his grandmother sends them $30 a month.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #1476 on: July 09, 2013, 03:01:34 PM »

I don't think it is that bad trying to get Sundays off I don't think they will just laugh at the application. It is worth a try unless the job states you must be available on weekends. Retail would probably want you on Sundays especially the big chain ones. I would put in a application with full availability except for Sundays. fast food would be easier than retail I think to get Sunday off. Sundays at Fast food are slow except at lunch for the church crowd although restaurants would be more busier.  Asking for one day a week off is not that bad although Sunday might not be the best day. Personally for the crap pay they should be flexible.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #1477 on: July 09, 2013, 03:14:42 PM »

I just applied to the local JC Penney.  Starting to get the applications fired up.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #1478 on: July 09, 2013, 03:26:38 PM »

I just applied to the local JC Penney.  Starting to get the applications fired up.

Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1479 on: July 09, 2013, 03:28:02 PM »

Excellent.  You can easily do a half dozen a day online.  Get that job!
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1480 on: July 09, 2013, 03:38:14 PM »

The overtime is over, so he's back to a normal 9/80 schedule.

80 hours of work a week, spread out over 9 days?
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1481 on: July 09, 2013, 03:48:02 PM »

bro do u even update
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1482 on: July 09, 2013, 04:02:14 PM »

Did Bushie already explain why he couldn't do any of the household things like getting the dog collar, food, or house or anything on his own? Why does his dad constantly have to do anything and everything outside of the house?

Something called money.  I have no job as of yet, so therefore I have no money.  Dad has the money and works nearby the pet store, so he can just go at lunch and get the collar.  The food I can go to Dollar General or Walmart and pick up.  With the dog house, it would only fit in his SUV, not in my small Sentra, so not only did he have the money, but he had the room to transport it.

Oh. I thought maybe he could give you the money for some of the things you all need since he's working 60 hours a week and you and your mom are working 0. But if he insists....
Mama Bushie is old and has serious renal issues. She's allowed not to work. Also, the Sunday thing isn't the big deal everybody is making it out to be. One of the few perks of crappy part time jobs is that they are extraordinarily flexible. It's not the biggest deal in the world to BigBoxMart if there is one day a week you can't work. Still, I would definitely wait until after getting hired to tell them. People are so touchy about the religion thing, there's no way they can give you a hard time about it.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1483 on: July 09, 2013, 04:15:03 PM »

The overtime is over, so he's back to a normal 9/80 schedule.

80 hours of work a week, spread out over 9 days?

80 hours over two weeks spread out over 9 days.  44 hours week 1, 36 hours with Friday off week 2.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1484 on: July 09, 2013, 04:16:16 PM »

Add Target to the application list.  I'm going to stop there for the night as I've got a somewhat busy evening.  I have to go over to my cousin's to prepare for Vacation Bible School next week.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1485 on: July 09, 2013, 04:27:45 PM »

Add Target to the application list.  I'm going to stop there for the night as I've got a somewhat busy evening.  I have to go over to my cousin's to prepare for Vacation Bible School next week.
No need to visit. Pretty sure they make you do the application online. That's true of a lot of places lately. There's usually a little self-service computer kiosk for those who choose to do the application in store, but it's no different than doing it from home.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1486 on: July 09, 2013, 04:29:59 PM »

No need to visit. Pretty sure they make you do the application online. That's true of a lot of places lately. There's usually a little self-service computer kiosk for those who choose to do the application in store, but it's no different than doing it from home.

I did both applications online.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1487 on: July 09, 2013, 05:43:31 PM »

Guys, keeping a dog outside isn't going to kill it. Do you think dogs didn't exist before air conditioning? As long as she has shade and plenty of water, she will survive 105 degrees let alone 95 degrees. Hate to burst your upper middle class bubble, but there are plenty of people who survive in those sorts of temperatures.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1488 on: July 09, 2013, 06:16:49 PM »

At 1845, I will leave here to go to my cousin's for some Vacation Bible School prep.  I will be helping her and her husband with the Missions Class next week from 1800-2100 Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday.  Her husband and I are skipping Wednesday because it is business meeting at our church and we are discussing a merger with a local congregation.  We are visiting another congregation in Eastern Midwest City this Sunday seeking to answer the question is what they do biblical.  The question we have is not how well we like the service or what we can get out of it, rather does the entire service follow the Bible to the letter.  We'll meet at our local church Sunday evening to discuss the service and the answer to our question.  Then, if the committee recommends this new congregation, we'll vote on it as a church Wednesday night, July 17 and set our final service at our current place of worship on Sunday, July 21.  We'll likely start at this other place full time either the evening of July 21 or Wednesday, July 24.  Either way, our first Sunday Morning Service full time will be on Sunday, July 28.   We are not merging due to finances, but due to too many positions for too few workers.  We have very few able to step up to fill the positions so those in the positions are experiencing major burn out.  Plus, our attendance on Sunday mornings have dropped from consistently 70-90 in the 1980's and 1990's to 15-25 on a good Sunday, half or 3/4 of which are kids under the age of 12.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1489 on: July 09, 2013, 06:23:26 PM »

Bushie's church is closing because they can't find employees? I'm having an irony attack.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #1490 on: July 09, 2013, 06:30:14 PM »

Guys, keeping a dog outside isn't going to kill it. Do you think dogs didn't exist before air conditioning? As long as she has shade and plenty of water, she will survive 105 degrees let alone 95 degrees. Hate to burst your upper middle class bubble, but there are plenty of people who survive in those sorts of temperatures.

Indeed. I was shocked at the amount of butt-hurt expressed about that situation prior and really wanted to weigh in, but the levels of smug were just too great. I didn't follow it very closely, but Bushie was not abusing an animal by refusing to allow it to stay in his mobile home all day long. There are plenty of things in Update about which anyone can get upset, but those of us who didn't grow up in concrete jungles or lavish settings know that dogs being outside during the summer =/= cruelty, so long as it has access to food, water, shade and at least some type of shelter (covered porch, crawlspace under the steps, a cool garage, etc). What I consider abuse is the purchase of those horribly-mutated "yapyap" dogs that die prematurely and whose throats periodically collapse upon themselves because they're so inbred due to kitschy human demand.

What burns my biscuits is how many of the same people are now telling Bushie that it's OK for him to request a particular day of the week off (a weekend day, no less) when applying for a part-time job with a less-than-sterling employment history. Sure, we'd all like working conditions to be better and more flexible, but he should work within the confines of what is and not what should be. If you are working for a multi-national corporation that most likely will be paying you less than $10/hour for less than 30 hours/week of work, then you need to be prepared to work whenever you are needed - the reason these jobs are flexible in their scheduling is because those with "seniority" get more flexibility in their schedules (and because of high turnover rates that lead to a constant need for "the help" to fill in the gaps).
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #1491 on: July 09, 2013, 06:55:36 PM »

Dude just get a job

seriously if money is a problem why aren't you out jobhunting right now

you're not even trying and you don't even care, do you?

A quick Google search shows over 600 part time jobs in Bushie's area, so no.  Maybe memphis can apply for Bushie again.

I am looking.  It is absolutely, 100% mandatory though that I get Sunday's off.  There is no way around that.

Yes... because people with your work history are in a position to make demands, lol
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1492 on: July 09, 2013, 07:14:05 PM »

It's comforting that Sbane wants Jeff Junior to suffer in the OK heat when there is a cool home 5 feet away.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1493 on: July 09, 2013, 08:00:42 PM »

It's comforting that Sbane wants Jeff Junior to suffer in the OK heat when there is a cool home 5 feet away.

It has nothing to do with what I want. If I had a dog, I would keep it inside because keeping it outside would defeat the purpose. But it is extremely hilarious to hear that a dog is going to die because it's 85 degrees outside. Talk about sheltered....
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #1494 on: July 09, 2013, 09:19:23 PM »

Why merge your church? Have they made a tender offer to take over your congregation or are you simply going to merge congregations to lessen expenses and expand profit margins? Can your churches merge and your church remain an independent subsidy of the other church and they can transfer workers to fill those unfilled positions?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #1495 on: July 09, 2013, 09:28:16 PM »

I would recommend calling Human Resources there, just asking if they received your application and express continued interest. I interned for a while in an HR department last summer, and anytime there was an opening, the first people we called were almost always the ones who had done a follow-up after applying. If you don't want to do one over the phone, even an e-mail would be good. You have plenty of bright minds on here who could help you with it.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1496 on: July 09, 2013, 09:31:15 PM »

I would recommend calling Human Resources there, just asking if they received your application and express continued interest. I interned for a while in an HR department last summer, and anytime there was an opening, the first people we called were almost always the ones who had done a follow-up after applying. If you don't want to do one over the phone, even an e-mail would be good. You have plenty of bright minds on here who could help you with it.
^^^^^^^^^^^
This is really important. But it's also really simple and quick. One phone call.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1497 on: July 09, 2013, 09:38:42 PM »

It has nothing to do with what I want. If I had a dog, I would keep it inside because keeping it outside would defeat the purpose. But it is extremely hilarious to hear that a dog is going to die because it's 85 degrees outside. Talk about sheltered....

Yeah, I didnt quite get the outrage either. Dogs and humans lived side by side for millennia without central cooling or heating and managed just fine. Now so many people are sedentary fats and can't take it when the heat goes up. Ample water and shade is all that is needed really.

Then again there are many humans who die or suffer from exposure every day, some trying to sneak into our country or working the fields picking our fruit or maybe in a far off land. Which shows you that many care about pets more than people and really can't say I blame them sometimes.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1498 on: July 09, 2013, 10:00:00 PM »

Why merge your church? Have they made a tender offer to take over your congregation or are you simply going to merge congregations to lessen expenses and expand profit margins? Can your churches merge and your church remain an independent subsidy of the other church and they can transfer workers to fill those unfilled positions?

We're merging because we believe we can do more for the Kingdom of God by pouring our resources and our talents into another similar congregation.  We are merging with no agenda, but are available to serve wherever needed.  For instance, my pastor has no demands to be the assistant pastor and my music minister has no demands to be the assistant music minister.  If asked to serve in a position, we will gladly accept, but we come in with no agenda.  We're trying to do what makes more Kingdom sense.  When we merge we would lose the name of our current congregation and fall under the name of the receiving congregation.  We'll still have business meetings as our old congregation just to oversee the sale of the property and the business closing of the church.  Woods Baptist Church - the Congregation will disband on July 21, but Woods Baptist Church - the Business will close once the property is sold and all of our bank accounts are closed out and such.  The sale of the property could take a year.  It's in a prime location in a developing intersection with a new gas station right next door, a Dollar General caddy cornered and a bank and other small businesses across the street.  It is also on a street that has an access point to I-40, so it has Interstate traffic.  Woods Baptist Church is not the first church to be on that property.  Back in the 40's, 50's, and 60's a church called Shilling's Corner Baptist Church inhabited the property.  WBC was started as a mission church from a church in Oklahoma City in the mid 70's.  So, WBC has been around for nearly 40 years, young for a lot of churches in the area.  Our new congregation is called Eastwood Baptist Church and is 5 miles away from Woods.  Eastwood doesn't have a website, yet, but according to the pastor they run 100-120 on Sunday Morning and have a healthy mix of all age groups, from children to teenagers to young adults to middle age adults to senior adults as well as singles and couples ministries, men's and women's ministries.  The website may be an area where I could get involved in since I helped develop Woods Baptist Church website and I went to school for that.  Again, I'm not coming in with an agenda, but if they ask me to build a website, I'll be happy.  Again, we're trying to do what makes the most Kingdom sense and the most business sense.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1499 on: July 09, 2013, 10:04:33 PM »

What is the Woods Baptist Church's website?
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64 65 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies