The Oldiesfreak Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts III
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 12:52:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Oldiesfreak Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts III
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 86
Author Topic: The Oldiesfreak Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts III  (Read 210770 times)
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: June 28, 2013, 04:36:30 PM »

The absurd, ignorant, and bad part is in bold.
I hope a reliable firm like PPP does some new polling in a week or so, I'd be interested to see where things stand. Though I think Davis would be a really long shot in '14, it's worth noting that Tuesday morning she had 1,200 Twitter followers. It's now over 80k. If they screw her district to where she can't win reelection, she should go for Governor anyway.

http://www.businessinsider.com/most-accurate-polls-of-2012-election-obama-romney-ppp-daily-kos-gallup-rasmussen-2012-11
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #201 on: June 28, 2013, 05:52:52 PM »

Petition to delete all the Update threads and to permaban Bushie if he ever starts another one again.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #202 on: June 28, 2013, 06:04:52 PM »

I hope a reliable firm like PPP does some new polling in a week or so, I'd be interested to see where things stand. Though I think Davis would be a really long shot in '14, it's worth noting that Tuesday morning she had 1,200 Twitter followers. It's now over 80k. If they screw her district to where she can't win reelection, she should go for Governor anyway.

Please stop posting in the Deluge.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #203 on: June 28, 2013, 07:02:31 PM »

Draft: Institute a mandatory period of “national service” for young men and women, with a term of service in the armed forces as a possible way to satisfy this requirement.  Maintain the selective service system, and start to collect information on young women.  If a draft ever has to be reinstituted, draft all eligible males before dipping in the “ladies’ pool”. 

I don't know if this one could be categorized as 'absurd,' 'ignorant,' or 'bad,' but I think it's downright scary that there are people in this country who think this way.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #204 on: June 28, 2013, 07:11:45 PM »

Draft: Institute a mandatory period of “national service” for young men and women, with a term of service in the armed forces as a possible way to satisfy this requirement.  Maintain the selective service system, and start to collect information on young women.  If a draft ever has to be reinstituted, draft all eligible males before dipping in the “ladies’ pool”. 

I don't know if this one could be categorized as 'absurd,' 'ignorant,' or 'bad,' but I think it's downright scary that there are people in this country who think this way.

It's actually defensible if there are multiple options for "national service" besides military service; in fact, I'd be tempted by such an idea.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #205 on: June 28, 2013, 07:14:16 PM »

Please stop posting in the Deluge.
I'd recommend ignoring him. It makes Atlas a lot less like huffing glue.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #206 on: June 28, 2013, 10:37:23 PM »
« Edited: June 28, 2013, 10:39:17 PM by shua »

this was somehow such a good post it deserved to be quoted in the same thread. 
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #207 on: June 29, 2013, 12:01:27 PM »

This thread is filled with so much awful:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=175577.0
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #208 on: June 29, 2013, 10:07:03 PM »

Abrahamic religions are a stain on humanity and the sooner they are wiped clean by the advancement of technology and education the better.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #209 on: June 30, 2013, 09:50:05 AM »

Could William Jennings Bryan have been included? He could have been Andrew Jackson without the Indian removal. He would have been interesting.

Most of them -- you know why they would have lost. Any President elected in 1928 or 2004 would have been caught in the economic meltdown sure to happen.

Hubert Humphrey at the least would not have had the scandals of Richard Nixon... and the travesty of Spiro T. Agnew would have never happened. Al Gore? It is hard to imagine any prominent politician to have been worse than Dubya, arguably the worst President that we ever had. Those are two improvements.

TR, 1912 would have been interesting in his own right.
Worse than Franklin Pierce or James Buchanan?
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #210 on: June 30, 2013, 07:06:07 PM »

I can't help but notice that, now in two threads you've bitched about me calling PPP "reliable," but you haven't bothered to offer up a polling firm you'd more readily trust.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #211 on: July 01, 2013, 10:29:11 PM »

Thatcher/Thatcher. Jesus is an ungroomed, long-haired, unelectable hobo.

The summary of Jesus is bad enough, but someone with the name Must Crush Capitalism saying that they would vote for Margaret Thatcher is quite...um....
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #212 on: July 02, 2013, 10:58:42 AM »

http://www.businessinsider.com/most-accurate-polls-of-2012-election-obama-romney-ppp-daily-kos-gallup-rasmussen-2012-11
That may have been true close to the election, but during the summer, PPP was far out of the mainstream of polling.  And honestly, I didn't think there were any pollsters in 2012 that were very accurate.  They were literally all over the place.  One poll had a candidate up by 1 point, another had the same candidate up by 10 points.  And that was in polls with the same sample type and similar margins of error.  2012 was, hands down, the worst campaign I have seen for polling thus far.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #213 on: July 02, 2013, 02:47:21 PM »

That may have been true close to the election, but during the summer, PPP was far out of the mainstream of polling.  And honestly, I didn't think there were any pollsters in 2012 that were very accurate.  They were literally all over the place.  One poll had a candidate up by 1 point, another had the same candidate up by 10 points.  And that was in polls with the same sample type and similar margins of error.  2012 was, hands down, the worst campaign I have seen for polling thus far.
They remained "out of the mainstream" of polling close to the election. It's just that they were the only ones who were correct. The rest of the organizations, many of whom were much better known, were flatly wrong. PPP was pretty consistently correct in the states where it did polling.
The Simpsons Cinematic Universe
MustCrushCapitalism
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -2.78

« Reply #214 on: July 02, 2013, 02:56:08 PM »

Thatcher/Thatcher. Jesus is an ungroomed, long-haired, unelectable hobo.
The summary of Jesus is bad enough, but someone with the name Must Crush Capitalism saying that they would vote for Margaret Thatcher is quite...um....
Please don't tell me that you took this post to be an example of serious analysis. Tongue
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #215 on: July 02, 2013, 10:15:30 PM »

The law of men is designed to take freedoms away. That is why there are jails. All of it is there to give jobs. Jobs to figure out what they can arrest whoever for whatever.  That is why a form of sex is being squashed by people. The law needs to be eliminated. When it is People will be like Jesus is working out their own salivation. Until then opponents to zoo are only cooking their own goose come judgment day. Of course zoosexuality should be legal. When it is people will not have an excuse to be inhospitable, hostile threatening people like Sodomites outside lots door.

He's back.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #216 on: July 03, 2013, 09:52:39 AM »

Most industries and sectors vote Republican. There are a lot of Democrats who stay at home and don't have to work due to large incomes or they're on welfare and food stamps. Working leads to conservatism. I've worked in grocery, retail, sales, fast food, construction, and office buildings. I have yet to find a liberal base of employees at any job I've ever had.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #217 on: July 04, 2013, 12:13:41 AM »

gott im himmel

You know, panem et circenses. It was used under the Roman Empire, but still true today.

Okay don't go throwing your fancy Latin at me, buddy. Pan-Am aside, I can't remember ever learning about Elvis or hearing about The Beatles or learning who Abraham Lincoln was. It just always kinda was there for as long as I can remember.

I think many people also see time differently. I made my mother laugh the other day because she asked when something had taken place and I was thinking and said, "Um...not too long ago...2003, ten years ago." She laughed. "Ten years ago is long ago." Not in my mind. 60+ years is when you really get "long ago" in my mind.

Two years ago on the Fourth of July, I asked a very sweet and pretty 18 year old girl why we celebrate the Fourth of July and she couldn't tell me. She said, "Why?" I told her to celebrate our Declaration of Independence from Great Britain on July 4, 1776. She responded with an uninterested, "Oh." (I should note that her saying "Oh" was also "Oh you are never getting in my pants you orange haired nerd")

I'm willing to bet that all they hear was, "To celebrate our BLAH BLAH BLAH from BLAH BLAH BLAH on July 4, 1776." (which I bet even the date throws them off since anything pre-1999 seems prehistoric to them).

Writer Mark Bauerlein's book, "The Dumbest Generation" made a fantastic point with an excerpt about 1776:

"Think of how many things you must do in order NOT to know the year 1776 or the British prime minister or the Fifth Amendment. At the start, you must forget the lessons of school-history class, social studies, government, geography, English, philosophy, and art history. You must care nothing about current events, elections, foreign policy, and war. No newspapers, no political magazines, no NPR or Rush Limbaugh, no CNN, Fox News, network news or NewsHour with Jim Lehrer. No books on the Cold War or the Found, no biographies, nothing on Bush or Hillary, terrorism or religion, Europe or the Middle East. No political activity and no community activism. And your friends must act the same way, never letting a historical fact or current affair slip into a cell phone exchange.

It isn't enough to say that these young people are uninterested in world realities. They are actively cut off from them. Or a better way to put it is to say that they are encased in more immediate realities that shut out conditions beyond-friends, work, clothes, cars, pop music, sitcoms, Facebook. Each day, the information they receive and the interactions they have must be so local or superficial that the facts of government, foreign and domestic affairs, the historical past, and the fine arts never slip through. How do they do it?"

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #218 on: July 04, 2013, 07:36:46 AM »

gott im himmel

You know, panem et circenses. It was used under the Roman Empire, but still true today.

Okay don't go throwing your fancy Latin at me, buddy. Pan-Am aside, I can't remember ever learning about Elvis or hearing about The Beatles or learning who Abraham Lincoln was. It just always kinda was there for as long as I can remember.

I think many people also see time differently. I made my mother laugh the other day because she asked when something had taken place and I was thinking and said, "Um...not too long ago...2003, ten years ago." She laughed. "Ten years ago is long ago." Not in my mind. 60+ years is when you really get "long ago" in my mind.

Two years ago on the Fourth of July, I asked a very sweet and pretty 18 year old girl why we celebrate the Fourth of July and she couldn't tell me. She said, "Why?" I told her to celebrate our Declaration of Independence from Great Britain on July 4, 1776. She responded with an uninterested, "Oh." (I should note that her saying "Oh" was also "Oh you are never getting in my pants you orange haired nerd")
Given the highlighted passage here, did you mean to put this in the good post mine?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #219 on: July 04, 2013, 07:53:23 AM »

If you went person to person in each party, you'd find that it's the Democrats who are actually run by the wealthy.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #220 on: July 04, 2013, 10:21:17 AM »

His name is an accurate description of the effect of his posts on reasonable, intelligent posters.  How nice.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #221 on: July 04, 2013, 11:00:31 AM »

and not all the Assad supporters are blood thirsty goons.

Why on Earth would you support him otherwise? If you want a brutal and murderous dictator to keep oppressing and killing people...
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #222 on: July 04, 2013, 02:06:20 PM »

This might very well be altogether the best/worst display of slack-jawed idiocy on this general subject:
Wow, I thought the countries of Western Europe were friends and allies of the United States. Suddenly helping us catch a fugitive guilty of espionage is some act of supreme cowardice and spinelessness?? Ridiculous. I would hope and expect the United States to do the same if a German or Austrian or Italian or whatever criminal on the run was possibly flying through American airspace. 
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #223 on: July 05, 2013, 08:47:41 AM »

Rah-rah, 4th of July and all that, but no, that's a myth.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #224 on: July 05, 2013, 10:25:06 AM »

+1
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 86  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies