MA Special Election Watch Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 11:31:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MA Special Election Watch Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19
Author Topic: MA Special Election Watch Thread  (Read 44678 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: February 04, 2013, 09:52:15 AM »

No. If you go dynastic they must be charismatic, street-smart retailers. Tagg Romney doesn't exactly strike me as being of that mold.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #376 on: February 04, 2013, 01:59:08 PM »

But Tagg is thinking about it, per NRO- always plugged into RomneyWorld.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/339736/yes-tagg-thinking-about-it-katrina-trinko
Benj

« Reply #377 on: February 04, 2013, 03:29:50 PM »

I'm disapointed that Markey is the best we can do. I'm sure he would be a good senator, but the Democrats need to do a much better job at pushing along young risers for these jobs. There wasn't someone in the State Senate that could of ran?

It opens up Markey's house seat for an up and comer, at least.
I guess you're right about that. Anyone have any names?

Carl Sciortino is the dream candidate you're looking for, I think.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #378 on: February 04, 2013, 09:14:35 PM »

The romney name has never been more toxic then now in Mass. Generic R would do better then any romney this year.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #379 on: February 04, 2013, 09:43:17 PM »

I'm disapointed that Markey is the best we can do. I'm sure he would be a good senator, but the Democrats need to do a much better job at pushing along young risers for these jobs. There wasn't someone in the State Senate that could of ran?

Carl Sciortino isn't from that district. Markey represents Metrowest; Sciortino is from Medford/Somerville.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #380 on: February 05, 2013, 12:55:49 PM »

http://dailycaller.com/2013/02/05/keith-ablow-announces-interest-in-massachusetts-senate-seat-asks-for-gop-support/

Fox News Psychiatrist Keith Ablow says he will run should nobody else do so. There is a scary possibility that that might occur.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #381 on: February 05, 2013, 01:02:58 PM »

Carl Sciortino isn't from that district. Markey represents Metrowest; Sciortino is from Medford/Somerville.

Part of Carl's district, including his home, is in the district, which is half Metrowest and half north suburban Boston. Medford is in the 5th district, Somerville in the 7th. That said, yes, 4 precincts in Medford is not a broad base for becoming a congressman.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #382 on: February 06, 2013, 06:16:50 AM »

http://dailycaller.com/2013/02/05/keith-ablow-announces-interest-in-massachusetts-senate-seat-asks-for-gop-support/

Fox News Psychiatrist Keith Ablow says he will run should nobody else do so. There is a scary possibility that that might occur.

It seems to me - he needs psychiatric assistance himself...
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #383 on: February 06, 2013, 06:26:43 PM »

Lynch is flip-flopping on the abortion issue.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #384 on: February 06, 2013, 06:28:29 PM »

I can't say I'm particularly surprised. His views do genuinely seem to be comparatively nuanced, but he's always been terrible at communicating such.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #385 on: February 06, 2013, 06:32:00 PM »

So he pisses off people on both sides, as Romney could tell him.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #386 on: February 06, 2013, 06:33:22 PM »

Stephen Lynch should pull a Lieberman and run a strong independent campaign against that Cambridge nutcase.

Stephen Lynch is a union man, and Ed Markey is in fact from Malden.

I think he's saying he wants that so that the vote is split so a Republican wins, but maybe I'm wrong.

Hmm, that's a thought. Lieberman won, though. Eliot Cutler would have been a better (though still inane) comparison from recent New England politics, except for having been an independent all along, or at least throughout the campaign.

That is of course a possibility if a Republican enters the race. In a head to head matchup, as Brad Sherman just showed, a patch to victory is possible by associating your opponent with leftwingers such as Maxine Waters, Barney Frank, and Barbara Boxer. Frank of course has endorsed Markey.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #387 on: February 06, 2013, 08:10:10 PM »

Stephen Lynch should pull a Lieberman and run a strong independent campaign against that Cambridge nutcase.

Stephen Lynch is a union man, and Ed Markey is in fact from Malden.

I think he's saying he wants that so that the vote is split so a Republican wins, but maybe I'm wrong.

Hmm, that's a thought. Lieberman won, though. Eliot Cutler would have been a better (though still inane) comparison from recent New England politics, except for having been an independent all along, or at least throughout the campaign.

That is of course a possibility if a Republican enters the race. In a head to head matchup, as Brad Sherman just showed, a patch to victory is possible by associating your opponent with leftwingers such as Maxine Waters, Barney Frank, and Barbara Boxer. Frank of course has endorsed Markey.

I'm not sure you understand my state as well as you seem to think you do, and I know for a fact that you wouldn't like Senator Stephen Lynch as much as you seem to think you would.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #388 on: February 06, 2013, 08:44:54 PM »

Perhaps he has seen The Light regarding the position of Unions in politics?
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #389 on: February 06, 2013, 09:10:12 PM »

Part of Carl's district, including his home, is in the district, which is half Metrowest and half north suburban Boston. Medford is in the 5th district, Somerville in the 7th. That said, yes, 4 precincts in Medford is not a broad base for becoming a congressman.

Metrowest is very insular. I feel like the Democrats who matter in places like Framingham would strongly prefer one of their own — that is, a suburban Democrat rather than an urban one.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #390 on: February 09, 2013, 12:31:26 PM »

lol, the Republicans might not even have a nominee

http://www.nationaljournal.com/blogs/hotlineoncall/2013/02/republicans-fear-blizzard-could-leave-them-without-mass-senate-candidate-08
Benj

« Reply #391 on: February 09, 2013, 12:41:04 PM »

Metrowest is very insular. I feel like the Democrats who matter in places like Framingham would strongly prefer one of their own — that is, a suburban Democrat rather than an urban one.

Perhaps. Medford is not really urban, though, and Markey was from Malden, which is basically indistinguishable from Medford. I also think you overstate the degree to which MetroWest controls the primary. Obviously the primary will be regional, but push comes to shove I think Medford etc. outvote Framingham etc. in the district, all other factors being equal.

Also, Sciortino is running. No idea who from MetroWest might be.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #392 on: February 09, 2013, 08:30:12 PM »

Does it really matter?
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #393 on: February 10, 2013, 12:14:57 AM »

Yes, Winslow is a serious candidate. I can even envision a scenario (2 in fact) where he wins. Both are not especially likely, but - nevertheless
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #394 on: February 10, 2013, 12:24:04 AM »

Winslow doesn't strike me as an X-factor, tbh. Democrats won't be dumb enough to let him get breathing space ala Brown and he's only a State Representative.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #395 on: February 10, 2013, 12:29:00 AM »

Brown was the only Republican that had a chance at the seat (even he wasn't guaranteed). No other Republican is going to have a chance.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #396 on: February 10, 2013, 12:32:57 AM »
« Edited: February 10, 2013, 12:40:03 AM by smoltchanov »

Disagree very strongly. Democratic turnout will be much lower then in November, Markey is rusty and not accustomed to serious races for 30 years, and Winslow is smarter in some aspects then Brown (if Republican party in Massachusetts has a future star now, it's, possibly, Winslow). Obviously in Massachusets even dead stump (if Democratic) is initially favored, but only initially
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #397 on: February 10, 2013, 12:55:45 AM »
« Edited: February 10, 2013, 01:02:11 AM by Invisible Obama »

It's not 2010 anymore and there is nothing that Republicans can latch onto like healthcare and Democrats having 60 seats. I also doubt that Markey will go on vacation during the campaign. Brown was definitely their best candidate, I can't see Winslow being an even better one for them.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #398 on: February 10, 2013, 01:42:46 AM »

It's not 2010 anymore and there is nothing that Republicans can latch onto like healthcare and Democrats having 60 seats. I also doubt that Markey will go on vacation during the campaign. Brown was definitely their best candidate, I can't see Winslow being an even better one for them.

Better. He is more liberal (or libertarian) socially. And he is at least as good campaigner as Brown. And i am of very low opinion of Markey as a campaigner - for last 30 years he did't have to sweat to win, and he is 67, so, he, most likely, forgot what tough campaign is. Even Lynch (as campaigner, not as a candidate) would be better.

In addition Markey candidacy means one additional thing: Democratic leadership doesn't expect to win House at least until 2022. No one would give so much seniority in the House for seat of backbench (and, most likely, not the most productive) Senator otherwise
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #399 on: February 10, 2013, 02:05:53 AM »

Of course the House will almost certainly stay Republican until 2018 at least.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies