Did that thread about a woman's atlas get deleted?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 12:41:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Did that thread about a woman's atlas get deleted?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Author Topic: Did that thread about a woman's atlas get deleted?  (Read 14260 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 11, 2012, 08:41:12 PM »

Why?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 08:45:03 PM »

The Mikado hates women.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 08:55:43 PM »

Can't say I'm gonna miss it, but I would have kept it as a reminder of what's wrong with some posters out here.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 09:01:38 PM »

Can't say I'm gonna miss it, but I would have kept it as a reminder of what's wrong with some posters out here.
Positions that you take that I don't agree with are what's "wrong" with you too. Roll Eyes
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 09:02:12 PM »

FTFY
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 09:16:11 PM »

What a terrible injustice that women must endure. Being uninterested in compulsively shading detailed maps and discussing the possibility of how said shaded maps may differ in the future.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 09:25:32 PM »

That's a little frustrating.  I asked a question in it and never got to see the answer.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 09:26:25 PM »

That's a little frustrating.  I asked a question in it and never got to see the answer.
You think that's bad? I never even got to see the question.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 09:36:01 PM »
« Edited: December 11, 2012, 09:38:32 PM by Sbane »

Ok, so I'll just restate what I was asking Nathan, who was being very respectful and answering my questions. It is a fact that the vast majority of people who are interested in politics, male and female, are interested in the social policy aspect of it, as well as supporting/opposing candidates and parties. Interest in political maps is a niche within that, and it seems as if men are mostly interested in it. If this is due to socialization, how is that the case? I understand how socialization can cause women to avoid fields like Math but our website? How?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 09:37:42 PM »

I don't know if you saw my posts in the thread before it got deleted so I am not sure if this directed at me. If it is, please address why you think I hate women. If it is not the case, feel free to ignore this post.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 09:40:09 PM »

I don't know if you saw my posts in the thread before it got deleted so I am not sure if this directed at me. If it is, please address why you think I hate women. If it is not the case, feel free to ignore this post.

Not addressed towards you at all. I didn't see your posts in there before it was deleted. It was a somewhat facetious comment about Forum culture in general. Tongue
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 09:41:57 PM »
« Edited: December 11, 2012, 11:17:23 PM by memphis »

Ok, so I'll just restate what I was asking Nathan, who was being very respectful and answering my questions. It is a fact that the vast majority of people who are interested in politics, male and female, are interested in the social policy aspect of it, as well as supporting/opposing candidates and parties. Interest in political maps is a niche within that, and it seems as if men are mostly interested in it. If this is due to socialization, how is that the case? I understand how socialization can cause women to avoid fields like Math but our website? How?
I'd like to know how it is that society causes boys to have substantially higher incidents of ADHD and autism. These are serious conditions. If society is to blame, we need to know how we can fix them.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2012, 09:42:50 PM »

I have a feeling that this thread is going to be deleted too...
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2012, 09:44:28 PM »

All I will say is that I didn't appreciate the timing of the deletion of that thread...looked like we were finally getting some real discussion. Somebody didn't like that.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2012, 11:17:40 PM »

I didn't delete it.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2012, 11:41:27 PM »
« Edited: December 11, 2012, 11:43:41 PM by Nathan »

What I was saying was that it's not that there's absolutely no 'innate' (whatever in the world that means) component to this, though it's also far from proven that there is; whether or not there is is, I think, of somewhat secondary importance when we're dealing with situations where >90% of a population that self-selects based on a shared interest is one sex or the other. That just isn't how averages and frequency of traits work*. And once we're in the position of assuming at least some socialization, how much socialization there is becomes a much more difficult question to answer.

What we're known for here is, or at least looks to an outside observer to be, a special form of math--although obviously we discuss a lot more. Statistics isn't an especially arcane field of math (which is part of why I like it! Love those points of contact with human society!), but psephology is a bit of an arcane subfield of statistics.

memphis, diagnosis of mental maladies of all kinds is incredibly subjective. It's true there's some observed tendency towards maleness among people with the conditions you mention, at least some manifestations of which might induce people to be more interested in the things we do here on Atlas Forum, but the fact that they're, for better or for worse, fad diagnoses at present or in recent years might tend to inflate that quite a bit. And it is possible to socialize into or out of specific symptoms or presentations of any number of mental conditions, some of which affect diagnosis. I've socialized into a very different presentation of autism than I had when I was six, and if looked at today I believe it's probably about 50-50 whether I'd still be diagnosed with it.

*unless that shared interest is, say, 'having sex with women' with no other qualifiers or caveats, in which case a female proportion of anywhere from, say, 2% to 15% would be entirely within an expected range.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2012, 12:01:37 AM »

I deleted it. It was an embarrassment to the forum that best was erased from the pages of our collective history. Though I suppose this thread renders the act futile.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2012, 01:19:23 AM »

memphis, diagnosis of mental maladies of all kinds is incredibly subjective. It's true there's some observed tendency towards maleness among people with the conditions you mention, at least some manifestations of which might induce people to be more interested in the things we do here on Atlas Forum, but the fact that they're, for better or for worse, fad diagnoses at present or in recent years might tend to inflate that quite a bit.
Mental health diagnoses are hazy and not always discrete. No question about it. But to dismiss real, established conditions as mere "fads" is beyond callous. Frankly, it's unnecessary intellectual recklessness. Any public school teacher can tell you that the special ed label also falls very heavily on boys, despite misguided (IMO) attempts to change this. Also an accident? A fad? A willfull and spiteful disregard for the specialness of females? There's something about the Y chromosome. Ignore the elephant in the room if it makes you feel more comfortable. We all know he's there.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2012, 02:08:35 AM »
« Edited: December 12, 2012, 02:11:05 AM by Nathan »

memphis, diagnosis of mental maladies of all kinds is incredibly subjective. It's true there's some observed tendency towards maleness among people with the conditions you mention, at least some manifestations of which might induce people to be more interested in the things we do here on Atlas Forum, but the fact that they're, for better or for worse, fad diagnoses at present or in recent years might tend to inflate that quite a bit.
Mental health diagnoses are hazy and not always discrete. No question about it. But to dismiss real, established conditions as mere "fads" is beyond callous. Frankly, it's unnecessary intellectual recklessness. Any public school teacher can tell you that the special ed label also falls very heavily on boys, despite misguided (IMO) attempts to change this. Also an accident? A fad? A willfull and spiteful disregard for the specialness of females? There's something about the Y chromosome. Ignore the elephant in the room if it makes you feel more comfortable. We all know he's there.

I know I appreciate being schooled on conditions I have and situations I've been in by the likes of you.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2012, 02:24:05 AM »

There is only something I want to say to Memphis. Throughout history, differences in outcomes and in situation have been explained by differences in nature. This is true for any group of individual that was excluded from political and social power. "Why are negroes unable to reach our level of civilization? Because they are naturally inferior." Variations over this arguments could be heard up until recent times, and have always justified the worst things.

I'm not saying I know the reasons behind all the differences in outcomes between men and women (even though most of them are easily explained by the workings of patriarchal society). But what I do know, based on a quick look at human history, is that assuming such outcomes result from natural/inherent differences always eventually proves fundamentally wrong and serves to justify the most obnoxious injustices.

Now I'm done with you.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2012, 03:16:10 AM »

memphis, please stop destroying your reputation. it's painful to witness.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2012, 08:02:56 AM »

Joe, I answered your question. Too bad you didn't catch it in time. Wink
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2012, 09:07:17 AM »

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2012, 01:14:42 PM »

Anything or anyone who refers to that which has been disappeared will also be disappeared.

But yes, it is so tiresome that any interesting discussion has been disallowed here, and in particular that the moderators seem to think women are some kind of delicate weak flowers who can't partake in a political debate.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2012, 01:37:59 PM »

Anything or anyone who refers to that which has been disappeared will also be disappeared.

But yes, it is so tiresome that any interesting discussion has been disallowed here, and in particular that the moderators seem to think women are some kind of delicate weak flowers who can't partake in a political debate.

They can debate all right -they just don't like creepy PMs from certain posters (you know who you are....) being sent to them. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies